Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769058 times)

Ed.Kloonk and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3350 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »
The most recent part of this thread is on the e40 camera, which does have wi-fi and bluetooth.  The published resolution of the e40 is 160x120 px.  Going into the service menu via the wi-fi interface via a web browser, using the user id of flir with the password of 3vlig, you can see that the number of pixels is 76,800.  Does that surprise you that the product of 320 by 240 is 76,800?  Same as the e60 camera.

When the camera is put in service mode, using the user id and password above, it is noticed that on the camera menu, when you go to zoom, you now have not only x1, x2, but now have x4, but when the camera goes back to its normal mode, the x4 disappears.  I'm assuming that while the camera is in the service mode, it is in the 320x240 mode.

The question is, how do we get the camera to stay in the 320x240 mode when it is out of service mode?

I didn't see anything in the service mode window that gave a resolution setting.

Using ftp, I downloaded the file "conf.cfg."  Looking at it via notepad, I see lots of settings, but nothing that is obvious having to do with resolution, except for two, near the top of the file is are two identical lines, showing ".caps.config.image.settings.resIR int32 160."  Would changing the lines from 160 to 320 do the trick?  The last line is the CRC, in my case the line is # CRC01 59635078.  If I recalculate the new CRC, put it in place of that line, using ftp, writing the file back to the camera, doing a cold boot, pulling the battery, no external power, would that bring me to 320x240?

I haven't seen a straight answer on this subject yet, on the e40.

Thanks in advance for anybody who can help us out on this.  -- Jim

Ex series do NOT have WiFI or Bluetooth...
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3351 on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:38 pm »
Although you can edit the file, a "safer" way is to create a second file - settings files which are alphabetically later will override any earlier ones.
Obviously it's a good idea to make backups of everything first.

Take the config file, edit the settings. Delete the CRC line and run the CRC util to create a new CRC and add it to the file.
Save that file in the same dir as the original, with a higher alphabetic name (case sensitive), e.g. e60.cfg
Then do a hard reboot
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3352 on: February 02, 2014, 10:02:17 pm »
Thanks Mike, and thanks for making all this happen.  I'm 65 and in my earlier days did a lot of reverse engineering, was quite good at it, spent many nights hand dissembling code and adding comments.

Of course, I would always back up any files that could become damaged or missing, but I'm glad you mentioned it for others.

There are other settings in the config file that are set "false."  Would be interesting to go back and play with their settings, AFTER making good backups.

Now I have to go back and find the link for the CRC program that worked best.

Once the mod is complete, I'll report back with my status on the e40, or will it be the e60?

Thanks again -  Jim

Although you can edit the file, a "safer" way is to create a second file - settings files which are alphabetically later will override any earlier ones.
Obviously it's a good idea to make backups of everything first.

Take the config file, edit the settings. Delete the CRC line and run the CRC util to create a new CRC and add it to the file.
Save that file in the same dir as the original, with a higher alphabetic name (case sensitive), e.g. e60.cfg
Then do a hard reboot

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3353 on: February 02, 2014, 10:04:42 pm »
Using ftp, I downloaded the file "conf.cfg."  Looking at it via notepad, I see lots of settings, but nothing that is obvious having to do with resolution, except for two, near the top of the file is are two identical lines, showing ".caps.config.image.settings.resIR int32 160."  Would changing the lines from 160 to 320 do the trick?  The last line is the CRC, in my case the line is # CRC01 59635078.  If I recalculate the new CRC, put it in place of that line, using ftp, writing the file back to the camera, doing a cold boot, pulling the battery, no external power, would that bring me to 320x240?

I haven't seen a straight answer on this subject yet, on the e40.
why do you not straight read my posts from the last days?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg371680/#msg371680
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg379973/#msg379973
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg380259/#msg380259
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg379141/#msg379141
thats all informations, do yo need

I have not enough time to write a "foolproof" step by step tutorial for the E40.
I must understand the background.

try a google search with
Code: [Select]
site:https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown "Flir e40"and you have 20 hits from 3300 posts
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:21:01 pm by tomas123 »

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3354 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »
Hey emptech!

You can find the "original" CRC01-program in Mike's hack-post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg321956/#msg321956

There's also the EzCRC01-program from Taucher, which is attached here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg332090/#msg332090
But it's optimized for the Ex-series. You'd have to swap the template.cfg with your own template and rename the final generated file so it fits the Exx-series.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3355 on: February 02, 2014, 10:15:15 pm »
why write a template if you can simple connect with wifi and ftp?
no necessary switch usb to rndis etc. for connecting with ftp

mike give the hint with the filenames
I wrote here, how to check the configuration
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg379141/#msg379141
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:19:31 pm by tomas123 »

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3356 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:48 pm »
I just wanted to show all the possibilities. :)
And there were a bunch of people who had problems with the usage of the original CRC01-program. So I thought a alternative way won't hurt. ;)

But placing the new file via WiFi and FTP is certainly faster than creating a new .fif update-package and running it via FlirInstallNet. Less complicated, fewer sources of error. :-+

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3357 on: February 03, 2014, 06:07:13 am »
I read back somewhere where people had problems with the crc program. I tried the search feature, no luck at all.  I'm using the crc01.exe that I found on this forum, executed it on the conf.cfg file on my e40, and it comes up with a different crc number than what is listed at the bottom of my text file (opened with notebook).  I am playing with making changes in the conf files, but have a feeling that my basic problem is with the crc.  I read somewhere that if there was a bad crc, the file would be ignored and settings from a previous file would be used?

By the way, I tried both conf.cfg files from Thomas, neither worked for me.  I actually lost the zoom feature entirely, had to reload my original conf files.

Jim

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3358 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:13 am »
If you get for your original e40 cfg file another crc then you make a mistake:
CR, editor...

Offline nersut

• Contributor
« Reply #3359 on: February 03, 2014, 09:35:25 am »
Hi everyone!

Is it possible to change the model number (from E4 to E8) in the firmware configuration?

When I transfer the thermal images to my computer & open them in the FLIR Tools it's still says camera model: FLIR E4, also after the 320x240 "E8" hack.

Cheers
Erik

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3360 on: February 03, 2014, 10:40:40 am »
Is it possible to change the model number (from E4 to E8) in the firmware configuration?
camera model + search

otherwise this forum will turn in Q&A with same Q and same A.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3361 on: February 03, 2014, 10:53:00 am »
I think that this thread ha become such a 'monster' that we will see many questions asked about content already covered. It appears to be the nature of the beast. I considered creating an FAQ in my 'E4 useul information' thread but I just don't have the time at the moment.   
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3362 on: February 03, 2014, 05:17:07 pm »
I downloaded from my e40, the two conf.cfg files.  I backed them up and printed them.  I ran the
crc01 program that Mike wrote and got different crc numbers than what is at the bottom of the files.
I have not altered the files in any way, they have been viewed with notepad but never saved with
notepad.  I'm trying to figure why the crc numbers differ.

The reason I'm asking, I've edited the file/s, trying to get the resolution up to 320x240 and
trying to get the zoom levels increased.  The stock e40 has x1 and x2, I believe if it was at
the higher res, I'd have x4, like the camera has in the test mode. 

I read somewhere on a post that if the crc number isn't correct, the file is not read by the camera
and it uses some previous data.  That seems to be the problem, I don't think my data files are being read.
That's why I suspect the problem is the crc check.

One question though, if I do get the resolution increased, is it that obvious, how will I know for sure?  I
would almost have to look at a test pattern of a sort.  Also, to get a different zoom menu that includes
the x4, that must mean I need a modified gui, otherwise how would the camera know I need that third
check box?

I tried the two cfg files from Thomas, after adding my s/n and creating a new crc, the camera worked so so,
but I actually lost the zoom feature entirely, I had to reload my two original cfg files.  This is fun, but I do
have to get on with my life sooner or later.

I wonder, since this thread is so big, should a new one be started for the e40?  I've tried the search engine
on the forum but it doesn't seem too helpful.  Many of our questions are already answered but it takes a
lot of reading.  I'm up to # 114 right now.  Once in a while I'll start with the latest posts and work back a bit.

I believe in sharing information, hopefully my posts will help others who are doing the same.

Jim

If you get for your original e40 cfg file another crc then you make a mistake:
CR, editor...

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3363 on: February 03, 2014, 06:10:29 pm »
I ran the crc01 program that Mike wrote and got different crc numbers than what is at the bottom of the files.

Believe me, the E40 use the same CRC like the E4.
I checked it myself (Flir E40 first generation)
If you don't get the same CRC with your original config file, than you always make the same mistakes.

try google with
Code: [Select]
my_search_words site:eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3364 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:30 pm »
Emptech,

If you believe the E40 discussions are likely to derail the E4 thread then a new Exx series dedicated thread is a good idea.

The E4 activity in this thread has slowed down due to the 'enhancement' being pretty much perfected already for the casual user of the unit. Some members are working on releasing even more capability in the little E4 and I hope they will choose to share their work here when able.

I personally have no issue with the discussion of the Exx series here. It is so similar t the Ex series in many respects that its is a bedfellow in such a thread.  :)

An FAQ would assist new arrivals to this thread but the first page gives links to most of the pertinent data and I would recommend reading the whole thread if time permits. This single thread has more information about FLIR thermal camera design than any other single reference piece on the internet  ;)  Also take a look at the other FLIR related pages on this forum.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3365 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:31 pm »
Just another thought.....

You never know, one day there may be a 'Technical Manual' written to consolidate all the information discovered in this thread ....... now that would be useful for years to come.

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3366 on: February 03, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »
...got different crc numbers than what is at the bottom of the files. I have not altered the files in any way...
I suppose you erased the old CRC before computing another one, right ?

I always use http://www.pspad.com/ for editing and programming. It does not alter CR/CRLF/LF endings. It keeps what originally is.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #3367 on: February 03, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »
Again: EzCRC01 simplifies any CRC01 computation...
@slow down: well, this thread is already the single largest one on the EEVblog and would probably even count as a category once split up :)
... IMHO the hack is still not finished... there are still some goodies to be implemented :)

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3368 on: February 03, 2014, 08:55:46 pm »
FLIR is now offering an educational package with an E6 at half price: http://www.tequipment.net/FLIR/E6-EDU

The catch is that it can only be ordered on behalf of an educational institution. Either way, a hacked E4 is still a better deal. :)

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3369 on: February 03, 2014, 09:54:32 pm »
I may have created a new problem.  Via wi-fi, I downloaded to the camera, the e60 files that FUNZT had in a zip file.  After a cold boot, the camera no longer shows the wi-fi icon.  It no longer has the zoom menu, and worse of all, in the mode settings, no longer wi-fi settings.  I need to get the backed up files restored to the camera but cannot get into it.  I tried ftp, it connects to the camera but cannot get a welcome message.

Is there a way to use the rndis mode via the usb cable?  I do not get the hidden menu to get to the usb/rndis setting.  I never was, even with the original e40 configuration files.

I installed the usb/rndis drivers to my xp box, but plugging the usb cable in just gets me the usual stuff, download photos and other files on the memory card, not the internal flash.

I'm really stuck here, any ideas?  It's not bricked, but many features are gone.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:57:18 pm by emptech »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3370 on: February 03, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »
Via wi-fi, I downloaded to the camera, the e60 files that FUNZT had in a zip file.  After a cold boot...
Why do you play around with a 4000$ camera without heeding our advices and require our time more then necessary??

I need to get the backed up files restored to the camera but cannot get into it.  I tried ftp, it connects to the camera but cannot get a welcome message.
Is there a way to use the rndis mode via the usb cable?  I do not get the hidden menu to get to the usb/rndis setting.
My last advices:
You can get the hidden menu of E40 like on E4.
Go to camera information site and press the right button of key pad for 10 seconds.
Switch usb to rndis and connect camera with usb.

I don't like to repeat myself but you shouldn't reboot the cameras with test config files.
see here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg371680/#msg371680

read a few times my post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg380296/#msg380296

seriously: With FTP access you should  think about what kind of paperweight you want to make from an E40. There is no u-boot loader on the camera!!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:36:24 pm by tomas123 »

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3371 on: February 03, 2014, 11:06:58 pm »
Thomas:

I've made lots of mistakes in my life, some have even taken me close to death, but I'm still alive.

I stuck my neck out here without a parachute.  I've always been able to recover, but I just don't know this time.

When I bring up the camera icon on the settings, I see the camera icon, it momentary s says camera on the top of the screen.
When I hold the right arrow key down (the navigational arrow) it shows thermal camera and digital camera, no longer lists
picture in picture.  After about three seconds, the icons on the left go blank and the camera returns to normal camera operation.
There was a flicker in the screen.  There was no hidden menu that came up.  Before I ever played with files, I was never able
to get the hidden menu up.

Recommendation?

Jim

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3372 on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:58 pm »
You are in the camera configuration menu aren't you ? You know, the one with settings like date time etc. Tomas123 is referring to the information page within that menu structure.

He is also offering you good advice. It is important to fully understand what you are doing when modifying the configuration of one of these cameras. A good read of the whole thread WILL make this process clear to the reader. As was stated in the threads warnings....changing these settings in a manner that is not correct can brick your camera beyond recovery. Please be careful. Explaining to a FLIR service agent what you were attempting when you killed your camera could be awkward.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:00:05 am by Aurora »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3373 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:52 pm »
I suspect you are not pressing the magic button at the right point in the menu... What forum post do you use as your pressey button plan to get to the USB menu? I am too lazy to search for it right now, but no doubt you know the link because you recently needed the USB menu feature. ;)

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3374 on: February 04, 2014, 12:09:00 am »
the menu I've been using to try to get to the hidden menu, the one with a camera symbol, just above it is the pallet menu, and the one below it is the mode menu, with the wrench and screw driver.  On the one showing a camera, when I use the right nav arrow, it brings up
a choice between thermal and digital camera.  Holding the button for 3 seconds brings the screen back to normal camera mode.

Am I on the right menu?  I don't know what post I found to get to the rndis menu, could have been 3123 or 2231, can't remember.

I know if I have to send this camera in, right, would have a difficult time explaining.

OH, while in the menu that shows the time, date, serial number, part number, rev, the hidden menu came up!!!

I see RNDIS, MSD, UVC, RNDIS and UVC, RNDIS and MSD, UVC and MSD (which is selected), RNDIS, MSD and UVC, followed by several others, which one do I want?

wow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf