Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769500 times)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3375 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:51 am »
You want the one that fits with the plan you have formulated based on a post you read, of course. ;) Failing that you want RNDIS and UVC because it's the least problematic one that gives you ftp capabilities.

Select RNDIS + UVC, then do whatever rescue plan you have involving ftp.

Offline Osiris454

• Contributor
« Reply #3376 on: February 04, 2014, 12:33:26 am »
Is it normal for the captured IR image to still show 160x120 (under 'information') even though I applied the 320x240 mod?
This is on an E40 by the way.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3377 on: February 04, 2014, 12:43:23 am »
@emptech,

I am pleased that you found the correct menu in order to access the interface settings.

I hope that your back-up files contain all of the OS files that could be extracted. You will need to take a close look at your camera using an FTP client like Filezilla to assess what you have actually done to it. I advise that you use Filezilla to copy everything possible from the cameras directory into a second back-up folder in case of need (incomplete first back-up etc) If your back-up files are the same as the ones on the camera I would carefully replace each file that you messed with on the camera with your original E40 back-ups. Once the task is complete switch off the camera and remove the battery. With luck when you re-install the battery and switch it on again, it will boot to the original E40  specification as though you had done nothing to it.

Then shut the camera down and place it somewhere very safe. Make a cup of tea/coffee or whatever and settle down for a long read. Now read this thread (speed reading) looking for any post that even mentions the resolution or menu hacks. Once you have read them, you should have a good understanding of what is needed to upgrade your camera. It will take you some time but it is worth the effort. For information, the resolution upgrade is the easier of the upgrades and the e4 menu hack does not apply to your E40 but that upgrade does use FTP mode so will be of interest ?

EDIT: Just search for the posts in this thread that relate to the E4 resolution upgrade. Recent posts from others on the forum trying to assist you may also be worth another read.

Key things to check:

1. Ensure you have an edited E40 configuration file to enable the higher resolution.
2. Ensure that your serial number is the second to last entry in the configuration file.
3. Ensure that there is one Carriage Return (CR) at the end of the file.
4. Generate the CRC checksum for the configuration file that contains your serial number.
5. Enter the CRC checksum in the line under the serial number within the configuration file.
6. Install the file in your camera by whatever means you prefer but note others comments regarding adding this file rather than over writing the original. They have already explained this. The structure is alphabetical. E4 users used e4.cfg e8.cfg. You could use e40.cfg e60.cfg as the configuration file name ?  Mikes upgrade (location detailed on first page) contains a description of the process to create the configuration file. We used an .fif installer routine but with FTP you can just add the file directly to the correct location in the file structure

This is all from memory and I am tired so please check this for yourself.

Hope it goes well for you
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:18:16 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3378 on: February 04, 2014, 12:50:06 am »
Oh and for future reference, I strongly advise against using Wi-Fi links when messing around with important files in an embedded computer....Wi-Fi has its place but it is not as reliable as a nice copper data cable and you don't want any corrupted files causing you issues later. In some cases a firmware update can get trashed due to a drop out in the data link and you end up with an expensive paperweight.

Offline Osiris454

• Contributor
« Reply #3379 on: February 04, 2014, 01:28:31 am »
OK, after messing around for a few hours and checking CRC's, file names, and etc. I can confirm that the E40 will not load another .cfg file other than conf.cfg. If I change conf.cfg and regenerate a new CRC the camera crashes, even though I have done everything correctly. Put the original one back and it's normal again. I even reduced the IR resolution to 80x60 in the e60.cfg file and nothing happened. It simply won't read anything else. This is on one of the 'new' E40's that start with a 645.

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3380 on: February 04, 2014, 01:42:53 am »
I'm still not out of the woods -

I have the rndis driver loaded on my computer.  I'm using filezilla, but am unable to connect to the computer.  Isn't the
default ip address 192.168.0.2?  Are there other addresses I should try?  When the cam is in the rndis mode, and plugged
into the computer, the computer recognized the need for a driver and found it.  I'm assuming it also uses the uid of flir and
the passwd of 3vlig, correct?

Probably the first thing I'll do when this beast wakes up is to restore it to the original files, then take a breath of air.

Thanks everyone, but still trying to connect.  I will also take the advise to connect in the future to use the usb and
not the wi-fi, that's a weak link so I've learned.  Easy to use, but like walking on thin ice.

OK, after messing around for a few hours and checking CRC's, file names, and etc. I can confirm that the E40 will not load another .cfg file other than conf.cfg. If I change conf.cfg and regenerate a new CRC the camera crashes, even though I have done everything correctly. Put the original one back and it's normal again. I even reduced the IR resolution to 80x60 in the e60.cfg file and nothing happened. It simply won't read anything else. This is on one of the 'new' E40's that start with a 645.
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3381 on: February 04, 2014, 01:57:26 am »
If I change conf.cfg and regenerate a new CRC the camera crashes, even though I have done everything correctly.

With that - you are likely not editing the file correctly then.

Does the CRC you generate if you change NOTHING but removing the CRC match one one you removed? (if not - ya messed up)
Do you clearly understand what CR, CRLF and LF stand for? (if ya don't - STOP)
What text editor are you using? (if you don't know why this is important - see above)

Your modifying a $1000+ piece of kit with no built in restore method - failure here could mean it has to go back to FLIR to be fixed and likely on your dime for the whole thing. This is not the place for winging it.

I have the rndis driver loaded on my computer.  I'm using filezilla, but am unable to connect to the computer.  Isn't the
default ip address 192.168.0.2?  Are there other addresses I should try?  When the cam is in the rndis mode, and plugged
into the computer, the computer recognized the need for a driver and found it.  I'm assuming it also uses the uid of flir and

When you connect the cam via USB in RNDIS mode it pops up with the info down by the time - just watch and wait. If that is the IP that pops up and you still cannot connect your going to have to check to make sure there are no firewalls interfering and do some reading on windows interface metrics and how to modify them. It's already been covered in this thread so you can Google it like others have already pointed out.

Offline Osiris454

• Contributor
« Reply #3382 on: February 04, 2014, 02:05:58 am »
Jesus Tap dancing Christ. It was the CRC. I used UltraEdit instead of PSPad. I couldn't see the carriage returns in PSPad. I fiddled around with the .cfg file unit I could get a match with the default conf.cfg to find out what exactly it was looking for.

Now it's reading 320x240. I made backup's of the entire file structure in case I messed something up while tinkering. I hold on to them 'if' I need to send it back for any warranty reasons. :)

Now I just need to decided on the E4 or the E40 and do this again for myself.  :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:08:32 am by Osiris454 »

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3383 on: February 04, 2014, 03:06:26 am »
Its ALIVE!

Along from having files installed that had issues, I had other problems.  One, was finding the hidden menu.
What I understood from others was not the right place, a matter of symantecs I suppose.  Once I got the
rndis mode turned on, found that the computer recognized the e40.  I went to device manager and found
that the driver still wasn't all there.  I manually installed the usb driver and was finally able to connect to
the camera and see the directory tree. 

I have replaced all the files with the original files and I'm 100% back now.

I will also stick with the usb communication in the future, more reliable than wi-fi.

Next is to read over what you have put out there to upgrade my e40.

I know I've been a pest but want to pat all of you on the back for helping me out.

Thanks again, now to move on.

Jim here in Kalifornia

I'm still not out of the woods -

Probably the first thing I'll do when this beast wakes up is to restore it to the original files, then take a breath of air.

Thanks everyone, but still trying to connect.  I will also take the advise to connect in the future to use the usb and
not the wi-fi, that's a weak link so I've learned.  Easy to use, but like walking on thin ice.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3384 on: February 04, 2014, 03:41:11 am »
Just a note.... I did ask about the inability to connect in rndis mode, with a network cable plugged in, and was informed to manually set the NIC's metrics.  This didn't seem to make any difference, but I DO know that IF I unplug ALL network cables, wifi, the camera will connect.
Seeing as I don't do this very often, I won't really worry about it, but the camera seems to misbehave with other network connections...
Just my findings and NOT necessarily a common problem.

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3385 on: February 04, 2014, 05:32:13 am »
Orby - I just sent you a pm, have a question about crc.  Perhaps you can give me an answer.

Jim

If I change conf.cfg and regenerate a new CRC the camera crashes, even though I have done everything correctly.

With that - you are likely not editing the file correctly then.

Does the CRC you generate if you change NOTHING but removing the CRC match one one you removed? (if not - ya messed up)
Do you clearly understand what CR, CRLF and LF stand for? (if ya don't - STOP)
What text editor are you using? (if you don't know why this is important - see above)

Your modifying a $1000+ piece of kit with no built in restore method - failure here could mean it has to go back to FLIR to be fixed and likely on your dime for the whole thing. This is not the place for winging it.

When you connect the cam via USB in RNDIS mode it pops up with the info down by the time - just watch and wait. If that is the IP that pops up and you still cannot connect your going to have to check to make sure there are no firewalls interfering and do some reading on windows interface metrics and how to modify them. It's already been covered in this thread so you can Google it like others have already pointed out.

Offline nersut

• Contributor
« Reply #3386 on: February 04, 2014, 09:00:14 am »
Hi everyone!

Is it possible to change the model number (from E4 to E8) in the firmware configuration?

When I transfer the thermal images to my computer & open them in the FLIR Tools it's still says camera model: FLIR E4, also after the 320x240 "E8" hack.

Cheers
Erik
You have a PM!

I managed to find the EEPROM fix half an hour before i got the PM, but thanks anyway.  :) People inhere is very helpful.
I also did the Menu hack - Beta 3, so thanks to Taucher also!  :)

Cheers
Erik

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #3387 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:22 am »
Just a note.... I did ask about the inability to connect in rndis mode, with a network cable plugged in, and was informed to manually set the NIC's metrics.  This didn't seem to make any difference, but I DO know that IF I unplug ALL network cables, wifi, the camera will connect.
Seeing as I don't do this very often, I won't really worry about it, but the camera seems to misbehave with other network connections...
Please note there are "intelligent" LAN/WLAN drivers which divers that disable the other interfaces if they are connected - the camera player software comes with the newest/best flir drivers and the camera IP can vary... but it's always the default gateway of the INFRARED "network card". Also sometimes bad front-USB ports (internal cables out of spec) can cause trouble.
Computers always do things in an ordered manner ... it's mostly just the user that fails to detect where something went an unintended/wrong way :)

@CRC01:
Guys... I wrote EzCRC01 to be able to fix any CRC01 - just drag&drop an alternate config file onto it - xxxxxx-replace the CRC and SN to be asked for them.
I can't believe the amount of "chat" happening here about something that got documented since at the start of the hack already.

@Bricking:
As reported by myself I got inquired how to fix a maximally ereased E4 - just appcore.exe and a few other files did stay (protected) ... applying the latest downloadable firmware did solve the problem (even beeing a small downgrade) - I guess it pays out to actually read all those pages here :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:04:14 am by Taucher »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3388 on: February 04, 2014, 12:24:18 pm »
@Taucher,

Thanks for the comment regarding bricking and the solution that was employed. I find it interesting that FLIR have a relatively old firmware version available to download on their site,  but not the latest 1.19.8. I was considering emailing FLIR to ask for the latest firmware but as I would have to provide my already registered serial no. they will know that I am already on 1.19.8.

Does anyone with an earlier firmware version want to ask FLIR for 1.19.8 ? ....it might help the Ex series community to have it available in case of emergency or if it contains useful bug fixes. To date I don't think any differences between the various firmwares have been traced to bug fixes. Probably just tidying up the code a little ?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:26:23 pm by Aurora »

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3389 on: February 04, 2014, 01:10:45 pm »
Probably just tidying up the code a little ?
I have never seen any company, which would release new firmware with just "tidying up the code" while taking risk of new bugs.
In fact probably I have never seen a company "tidying up the code" :-D

I was working for several big software companies in the past 10 years. No technical leader will put his head for just tidying :)
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3390 on: February 04, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »
@daves,

In that case bug fixes look likely and so there MAY be a good reason for owners of earlier firmware versions to upgrade. I say MAY because I am not a supporter of upgrading firmware for no good reason. I wonder if FLIR will tell me what they changed in 1.19.8 ? Its worth a try. I will email them and see what they say. 

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3391 on: February 04, 2014, 01:24:37 pm »
I tried the ezCRC, it ran on my computer but all I wanted was a CRC calc.  As I understand it continues on and creates a zip
file which I believe one would rename to a .fif? file.  Can it be used to simply produce a CRC?

I'm still puzzled as to why I can't create the same crc as my original file has, tried it on different systems, I insist I haven't
modified the file, but who knows, perhaps the system did in the process and I didn't now it.  I was using notepad.

Got to leave for work, only for a while though.

Jim

Please note there are "intelligent" LAN/WLAN drivers which divers that disable the other interfaces if they are connected - the camera player software comes with the newest/best flir drivers and the camera IP can vary... but it's always the default gateway of the INFRARED "network card". Also sometimes bad front-USB ports (internal cables out of spec) can cause trouble.
Computers always do things in an ordered manner ... it's mostly just the user that fails to detect where something went an unintended/wrong way :)

@CRC01:
Guys... I wrote EzCRC01 to be able to fix any CRC01 - just drag&drop an alternate config file onto it - xxxxxx-replace the CRC and SN to be asked for them.
I can't believe the amount of "chat" happening here about something that got documented since at the start of the hack already.

@Bricking:
As reported by myself I got inquired how to fix a maximally ereased E4 - just appcore.exe and a few other files did stay (protected) ... applying the latest downloadable firmware did solve the problem (even beeing a small downgrade) - I guess it pays out to actually read all those pages here :)

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3392 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:20 pm »
I have 1.19.8 with all the enhancements here, and it

1) crashes several times with "appcore error" right after boot, in case it turned itself from standby to off previously. Example - use the camera, turn it off (standby), leave it 14 days untouched, it will turn itself to off in meantime. After boot appcore error appears.

2) sometimes freezes while working. It can freeze softly with some mess, noise, ghost, squares on screen. Or It can freeze hardly into black screen. Both needs battery remove. After power on it is ok. Always happened to me under freezing temperatures, never above 0°C.

Both time by time, not frequently.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3393 on: February 04, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
I'm still puzzled as to why I can't create the same crc as my original file has, tried it on different systems, I insist I haven't
modified the file, but who knows, perhaps the system did in the process and I didn't now it.  I was using notepad.

Doing the crc01 on your known to work default config file is indeed a good sanity check. If you do not get the same old CRC01 result back, then you're doing something wrong somewhere. Traditionally something related to CRLF line termination.

When I'm paranoid about finicky files, I sometimes use a hexeditor to check the file contents.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3394 on: February 04, 2014, 01:43:39 pm »
I note the comment about not having changed the original file. Would that not cause this issue as it will have a CRC entry present at the bottom of the file ? The very presence of the Checksum throws off the CRC calculation. You have to delete the original CRC checksum result from the file then run it through the CRC calculator and create the checksum. Compare this to the one you deleted. they should be the same. Just a thought. Not wanting to insult you at all but are you aware of what the CRC checksum is and how it is produced ? If not, please be aware that a CRC calculator takes EVERY character present in a file and produces a checksum representing that files content. If you have ANY additional characters present in the file it will destroy the checksum validity. Please take a look at the E4 e8.cfg file to see what it should look like at the end. You will see a position for the serial number to be entered, Then CRC is run, then resultant checksum is entered into e8.cfg file at the bottom.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:50:15 pm by Aurora »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3395 on: February 04, 2014, 04:26:26 pm »

1) crashes several times with "appcore error" right after boot, in case it turned itself from standby to off previously. Example - use the camera, turn it off (standby), leave it 14 days untouched, it will turn itself to off in meantime. After boot appcore error appears.

2) sometimes freezes while working. It can freeze softly with some mess, noise, ghost, squares on screen. Or It can freeze hardly into black screen. Both needs battery remove. After power on it is ok. Always happened to me under freezing temperatures, never above 0°C.

I can confirm both.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Bovvy

• Contributor
« Reply #3396 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:37 pm »
Hi guys, I'm still lurking. Still haven't got a camera yet, but depending upon the outcome of Emtech's E40 upgrade I may be tempted by an E40 myself. Although some questions may be frustrating, please keep on answering because there are others who are interested and your answers may help them. Even though I have read every page, I could quite easily see myself asking a dumb question!

Offline Radget

« Reply #3397 on: February 04, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »

I've had #1 happen several times and it doesn't take as long as two weeks - just a few days sometimes. Always reversible with battery removal and restart.

Never yet #2 but I haven't done freezing temps with the E4.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3398 on: February 04, 2014, 06:45:42 pm »
We should track any 'strange behavior. Happy to add it to my useful information thread.

I am running HW1.0 with FW 1.19.8 and Enhancement Beta2A. No crashes or strange behaviour to date and my unit has seen plenty of use. I have had teh unit drop itself down from 'standby' to fully off but consider that an intentional battery management function to avoid teh standby mode creating a discharged battery condition after a period of no use.

Online mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3399 on: February 04, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »
Just did quick sanity check on low  temperature accuracy and results aren't that good:

Measuring melting snow(or ice flakes) at room temperature shows temperatures anywhere between +3 to -7 degrees celsius  :scared:

Also noticed funny drift on measurements, right after turn-on the results are quite(better than 1,0cel)  close to true. But after minute or two the error starts to creep in and measurement results drift lower to anywhere between -4 and -7  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf