Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3795978 times)

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #4350 on: March 13, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »
That would be 1.21.0 then

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4351 on: March 13, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »
Hi guys, i am having problems getting the File to overwrite, it appears to do everything, but ends with 17 files that fail to transfer (shown in the failed to transfer tab)

After watching the video as per links above, Does the Beta 3 Menu hack work on 1.21.0??????

Any ideas on what the problem is, hardware, pc, me ???

Any help would be appreciated. Is anyone else having/had the same problem
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:41:37 pm by Chorleybloke »

Offline Nemonic

• Contributor
« Reply #4352 on: March 13, 2014, 08:03:01 pm »
Hi,

Works on 1.21.

You're able to connect via FTP and download files but just overwrite doesn't work?

What FTP client are you using?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4353 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:41 pm »
...but ends with 17 files that fail to transfer...

Are you trying to make a backup or are you trying to replace the files on the E4?
Because when you are trying to put the 'upgraded' files back on the E4 no way there's going to be 17 or more...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4354 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:19 pm »
Hi,

Works on 1.21.

You're able to connect via FTP and download files but just overwrite doesn't work?

What FTP client are you using?

Hi,

i'm using fileZilla

It just doesn't seem to work correctly, if i try to do a backup it doesn't copy all the files, I just did another after turning off all other network connections. It copied most but left 140 files as failed transfers?

I'm slowly going mad!!!

If there is anyone in Lancashire who could help I can drive over.

Chorleybloke

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4355 on: March 13, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »
...but ends with 17 files that fail to transfer...

Are you trying to make a backup or are you trying to replace the files on the E4?
Because when you are trying to put the 'upgraded' files back on the E4 no way there's going to be 17 or more...

Ive tried bqacking up, by highlighting all the files that appear to be on the device (remote site) then downloading to desired folder on PC, it then rolls through all the files, some copy some won't.

If I then select the beta3 system file and drop it onto the FlashBFS folder on the device (remote site) it then appears to copy, but i end up with some files (17) in the failed to transfer.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4356 on: March 13, 2014, 08:55:20 pm »
Ive tried bqacking up, by highlighting all the files that appear to be on the device (remote site) then downloading to desired folder on PC, it then rolls through all the files, some copy some won't.

You can't backup files that are in use, so that is perfectly normal.

If I then select the beta3 system file and drop it onto the FlashBFS folder on the device (remote site) it then appears to copy, but i end up with some files (17) in the failed to transfer.

If you select only one file ( 'If I then select the beta3 system file') for transfer how can you end up with 17 failed files?  :-//

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4357 on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:23 pm »

You can't backup files that are in use, so that is perfectly normal.

If you select only one file ( 'If I then select the beta3 system file') for transfer how can you end up with 17 failed files?  :-//

So is it not possible to do a complete backup as the TIC always has some files in use?

Sorry its the FlashBFS system folder from the Bta3 download ADDMENU,  if I drop this onto the FlashBFS folder in fileZilla on the device it will not copy all the files contained within it. It has however copied the files for the additional colour palettes, over but these are 0kb

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:33:29 pm by Chorleybloke »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #4358 on: March 13, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
.... but these are 0kb

You probably copied the files in a subfolder as well - thereby filling up the drive -> files can be created but not filled due to DRIVE FULL.
Solution: remove the added duplicates
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:33:26 pm by Taucher »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4359 on: March 13, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »
Sorry its the FlashBFS system folder from the Bta3 download ADDMENU,  if I drop this onto the FlashBFS folder in fileZilla on the device it will not copy all the files contained within it. It has however copied the files for the additional colour palettes, over but these are 0kb

It's been a while since I looked at the addmenu files so I had a quick look again, and it looks like there are 17 files in there. If you get 17 faillures then it did not transfer anything. Does the error message tell you anything about why it failed?

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4360 on: March 13, 2014, 09:56:04 pm »
.... but these are 0kb

You probably copied the files in a subfolder as well - thereby filling up the drive -> files can be created but not filled due to DRIVE FULL.
Solution: remove the added duplicates

:palm: Taucher, your 100% spot on. It was so obvious once you had pointed it out. How silly do I now feel.

Thanks again,

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4361 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:48 pm »
OK,

Now for the biggy (for me anyway)

To get the resolution fix, what do i do.

Do I just download a copy of the config file from an earlier thread and replace it as per the instructions or do i need to modify it with my serial number first i have read that many posts i'm still spinning.

I'm not as daft as i am acting on here at the moment, honestly!!!!

I'm just scared to death of having a very expensive door stop. I'm slightly worried that i am also messing up this thread, with all my rubbish. Is it worth me deleting it after i am sorted out (if I can that is)

Thanks in advance guys.

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4362 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:00 pm »
@ Chorleybloke:
If your camera has firmware version 1.21.0 (and not the probably non-existing 1.20.0 which was stated earlier) you have to do the following:
- Download the file FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfc from your camera (or copy the one from your backup)
- Follow these steps: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg403480/#msg403480

If I remember correctly the camera should still work with a faulty / non-existing config file but it's always recommended to be careful and best to double-check everything :)

EDIT: Just to be clear: Since firmware version 1.21.0 you not only need to put your own serial number in the config file but you also need to protect / crypt the file with your device specific SUID. And the "easiest" way is saving it when unprotecting / decrypting your own original config file in the process.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:23:58 pm by stefbeer »

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4363 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:39 pm »
@ Chorleybloke:
If your camera has firmware version 1.21.0 (and not the probably non-existing 1.20.0 which was stated earlier) you have to do the following:
- Download the file FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfc from your camera (or copy the one from your backup)
- Follow these steps: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg403480/#msg403480

If I remember correctly the camera should still work with a faulty / non-existing config file but it's always recommended to be careful and best to double-check everything :)

EDIT: Just to be clear: Since firmware version 1.21.0 you not only need to put your own serial number in the config file but you also need to protect / crypt the file with your device specific SUID. And the "easiest" way is saving it when unprotecting / decrypting your own original config file in the process.

I wouldnt even know where to start im not sure how to edit or use those tools. Im sure its not hard but i would not know where to start.

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4364 on: March 14, 2014, 12:10:56 am »
Hi again,

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, i'm sure with a little guidance i will be fine. how do i open the file/edit it with ftools.

Offline Nemonic

• Contributor
« Reply #4365 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:59 am »
Hi again,

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, i'm sure with a little guidance i will be fine. how do i open the file/edit it with ftools.

ds's ftool "decrypts" the conf.cfc file and also tells you your SUID. You edit the file it outputs which by example is 'conf_plain.txt'.

You can open conf_plain.txt in notepad or other text editor. You need to edit it so its like the template.cfc, (mainly you're interested in the lines with IRwidth and IRheight for the moment) and delete the #CRC03 line at the end, BUT make sure there is a single empty line at the end. Then save it and follow the rest of ds's instructions.

Start with that and follow ds's instructions carefully and let us know if you get stuck.

Offline zeegerd

« Reply #4366 on: March 14, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
Hi, newbie here, so before I STFU & RTFM, please let me give two first impressions / questions:

- great tool (and gadget), even more thanks to the guys providing the hacking possibilities! My firmware was 1.18.8, asked the supplier explicitly to not send above 1.19.8 (they still have enough in store, for those interested, in NL). I tried the hack and it worked right away, even though the first post in this forum states the hack only works with 1.19.x (did I run a risk there?  :-[ ). I wonder if it is worthwhile and possible to upgrade to 1.19.8 (or even higher), also regarding the hack possibilities that should obviously remain.

- the only thing that kind of negatively struck me is the readings below zero degrees Celsius. In the evening it was about -2 dC, definitely not colder. See the photo stating the house should be around -12 dC. At least 10 dC from the true temp although, perhaps even 15. E=0.95, if this is important. I noticed more posts about this issue in the forum and will look if there are options to improve (although for me it's not a major issue). I wondered, is this issue present in E4 or (only) in hacked E4's? Hopefully not the latter. I only measured after hacking.

Thanks & have a good day.

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4367 on: March 14, 2014, 01:26:27 pm »
the only thing that kind of negatively struck me is the readings below zero degrees Celsius. In the evening it was about -2 dC, definitely not colder. See the photo stating the house should be around -12 dC.
Thats pretty normal, you have to recalibrate it. Its written in this forum, but probably lost :)
EDIT: See links in this post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg342072/?topicseen#msg342072

After calibration it gives real numbers and I am very happy with it (I just slightly modified the one posted there).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:30:13 pm by daves »
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Nemonic

• Contributor
« Reply #4368 on: March 14, 2014, 02:06:18 pm »
Does anyone know if its possible to make the camera output png by default? The 20KB JPG files are pretty bad with compression artifacts due to compression and i cant find any setting for jpg compression quality. Using the 'store -n' to save png results in a much nicer image. I was hoping perhaps Taucher or someone might have noticed something in the menu hacks to change capture format?

Would anyone with a 1.18/1.19 firmware be willing to zip up FlashBFS and send to me? I'm interested in the removed files and alterations since update to 1.21 and would like the files to compare.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4369 on: March 14, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »
Does anyone know if its possible to make the camera output png by default? The 20KB JPG files are pretty bad with compression artifacts due to compression and i cant find any setting for jpg compression quality. Using the 'store -n' to save png results in a much nicer image. I was hoping perhaps Taucher or someone might have noticed something in the menu hacks to change capture format?

Would anyone with a 1.18/1.19 firmware be willing to zip up FlashBFS and send to me? I'm interested in the removed files and alterations since update to 1.21 and would like the files to compare.

tomas123's PHP script can be used with Exiftool and ImageMagick to output some very nice PNG files from the thermal data contained with in the E4's JPG files. Please do some reading @ https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg342072/#msg342072 for more info. You can also from telnet/putty make some changes in the way the E4 saves. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg330282/#msg330282

As for comparisons between 1.18/1.19 and 1.21 there have already been quite a few if you just read back a bit in this thread starting at page 233 or so. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/3480/

Google search is your friend! Goto google.com and paste in "site:www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/" followed by your search term. :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:58:22 pm by OrBy »

Offline Nemonic

• Contributor
« Reply #4370 on: March 14, 2014, 03:16:43 pm »
Thanks!

I had thought i scanned over most of this thread and hadn't seen it mentioned, must have missed it. Thanks!

Regarding the previous version files, i had found a few posts with links to backup zips but the files were taken down. I will go back and crawl the thread see what i missed.

In the mean time, if i fail to find, it would be great if someone could share the old 1.19 /FlashBFS.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4371 on: March 14, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
I don't think the 1.19.8 firmware was ever made available for download. The latest previous version that was on the FLIR website was 1.18.7.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:26:15 pm by ixfd64 »

Offline Nemonic

• Contributor
« Reply #4372 on: March 14, 2014, 04:45:28 pm »
I don't think the 1.19.8 firmware was ever made available for download. The latest previous version that was on the FLIR website was 1.18.7.

Yea, the links to the older installers on FLIR are down so cant get the files that way either, but someone with a 1.19/1.18 can just FTP to their camera, download the files and zip it. Im mainly interested in the binaries, *.dll/*.exe for analysis and comparison. I don't expect to find anything more than what the guys here have already found, but i got a couple of hunches i might investigate.

Also i think the web service files were ripped from newer firmwares, so if those are included i might see if they can be added back.

Offline Chorleybloke

• Contributor
« Reply #4373 on: March 14, 2014, 04:50:33 pm »
Afternoon all,

Well a massive thanks again to all that helped out. I managed to fumble my way through the resolution fix, with the ftools, not hard but ha to work out how to do it from scratch.

I now have additional menus and also what appears to be 320 x 240 pretty amazing. The manual colour shift is a massive bonus too.

Ive come across a few glitches with my camera though.

The center spot does not work.
When taking an image it only saves the IR, the Jpeg is blank/black.
Alignment distance select option scrolls but when selecting reverts to zero. Yet the focus distance fine tuning works.
MSX option has vanished.

I used the conf.cfc (download from off this thread) downloaded mine from camera, copied all the text from the modified version, so its not something I miss typed.

Although after taking a good look around the file, it seems some are listed as false.

Any idea what to tweak??

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:59:07 pm by Chorleybloke »

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4374 on: March 14, 2014, 06:29:44 pm »
That sounds like a broken config file to me. I also don't think you have full resolution.

I used the conf.cfc (download from off this thread) downloaded mine from camera, [...]
What do you mean by thtat?
You cannot "reuse" a config file from another user. You have to use your own config file and the tools provided by ds.

Can you briefly explain what you did? I think something went wrong along the way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf