Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3797440 times)

Offline CarpeTemperatus

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #4700 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:28 pm »
Ok, here's the finished and perfectly fitting/working lens adjustment tool I 3d printed this morning. Mark II model for better finger grip. Just looks weird in the pics since it was printed with the plastic that was loaded (clear).

Also attached is a zip with sketchup file, STL file and Makerbot Replicator 2 print file.

Enjoy and feel free to tweak the sketchup file for your own fingers :)

cheers,
george.

Thanks for this .stl, George.  It didn't read into my CAD system quite right and I had a 3D printer report the same problem.  So I re-created your design, added some knurling around the big end, and made a smoother .stl which printed up fine (attached).  Brian Devitus in Seattle did the printing for me (find him on makexyz.com).  For $10 including Priority Mail postage he printed one unit, I got it the day after I sent him the file, and it works perfectly.  He used white ABS plastic which is just fine for this application.  I'm now able to focus down to 3"!

Offline chasis

« Reply #4701 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:27 am »
So I can honestly say that I have read through the majority of the thread before I even purchased my e4 and as Murphy's law would suggest, my problem with the upgrade seems to be unique. I've come to the party a little late and my camera has version 1.22.0 and the model number E4 1.1L.

After having some problems getting the camera to connect with my computer, I tried a host of solutions offered here and finally got a network connection through the 192.168.0.2 host. The problem now is the password 3vlig doesn't work. Both FileZilla and WinSCP give me a bad password error when I try to connect.

Did Flir change the password as a way to prevent any further hacking? Any help would be appreciated.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4702 on: April 10, 2014, 12:30:02 am »
Partial Serial No. ? Calibration date ?

Have you checked your cameras calibration date against my list on page 2 of the 'E4 Useful information thread' ? This should give you an idea whether your camera is a new release of just part of the standard batch that others have been able to modify.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:33:25 am by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4703 on: April 10, 2014, 08:45:22 am »
if the problem is just the password?
Do you have a response to "ping" the device?

Offline Rainer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4704 on: April 10, 2014, 09:28:01 am »
You can try a "reset to factory" with your TIC and then try to connect with Telnet.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:43:53 pm by Rainer »

Offline VR2XGI

• I like voltage reference standard
« Reply #4705 on: April 10, 2014, 02:21:43 pm »
Mike,

Thank You for your video >:D >:D, I want to buy a E4  :)

73 de VR2XGI
73 de VR2XGI

Offline Brickmaster

« Reply #4706 on: April 10, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »
Anyone care to share their opinions on the reporting software?  Is Flir+ worth the investment or is there another that might be better?

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #4707 on: April 10, 2014, 06:34:58 pm »
I wish I  could answer your question about the flir tools +.  I had the eval version loaded but before I had a chance to
really use it, it timed out.  I noticed there are various dealers selling it at various prices, less than flir's list price.  I
am not convinced it is worth the money, I think it is a little pricey.  I think if you took the output of the free flir
tools, used some pdf to word converters, photoshop, and other programs, you could do the same thing, but
would not have a direct route to the end result.

I think it is like the er - e8 thing.  You are actually getting an e8 just don't know it, there are probably more
cost effect programs out there, or work-arounds.

Jim
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4708 on: April 11, 2014, 01:53:19 am »
Well the consumer grade IPhoney Flir One is around the corner at under $350. I still won't get one even if they are way cool
http://www.flir.com/flirone/

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4709 on: April 11, 2014, 01:55:36 am »
Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but I wonder if the Ex series will drop in price once the FLIR One goes gold.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:54:21 pm by ixfd64 »

Offline chasis

« Reply #4710 on: April 11, 2014, 05:40:50 am »
if the problem is just the password?
Do you have a response to "ping" the device?
No, there was no response to the ping during my troubles...

To aurora:
Serial #639204xx
FW:1.22.0
Calibration:3-24-14

UPDATE:
Based on many of the other posts discussing connectivity issues, I was pretty sure it was just some network issue or the fact that Windows sucks and is secretly trying to slowly consume my soul. After rebooting both the camera and computer, deleting and re-installing Flir drivers, and fiddling with network settings, FileZilla managed to get a connection. What was weird is that during the file transfers, FileZilla repeatedly hung up for 3-4 seconds every couple seconds. It was not like the video someone posted showing the update where everything transfers in a matter of seconds.

But it worked and I didn't make a paperweight and the images are great! Thanks to all the contributors to this project.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:13:53 am by chasis »

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4711 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:47 pm »
Tried the "TIConfig" utility..not sure if the resolution worked..maybe?..
( had to set the IP to 192.168.1.2)
Tried the menu upgrade & got;
"error uploading package: the remote server returned an error (550) file unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)."
Now it's in a never ending boot loop.
{Edit}  tried uploading the backup files, takes a while, but eventually get the same 550 error}

V1.21 1.1

Is it bricked? :-[

Recovery? ( yes, I did a backup of the flashFS & flashBFS directories..it "seemed" to work to zip files with the TIconfig util,.. but again, the upload gives a 550 error)
Help?..  :-[
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:12:33 am by Teledog »

Offline Marphy

« Reply #4712 on: April 12, 2014, 12:57:11 pm »
Is it bricked? :-[
I guess you are still having device access via USB. So no, your device most probably is not bricked and we will solve the issue.

After some research I was able to reproduce a problem with the package upload and hopefully fixed it with version 0.2.0.

Please download the new version and follow these steps:
  • Run TIConfig and make a new full backup.
  • Open the new full backup package in TIConfig (goto the Backup folder, select the latest Root backup, click open).
  • Click on the copy icon above the directory structure. This will copy the directory structure into the clipboard in text form.
  • Send me a PM with the copied dir structure.

Hope to hear from you  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:18:24 pm by Marphy »

Offline FoxholeAtheist

« Reply #4713 on: April 12, 2014, 05:12:39 pm »
Hi Marphy,

Having the same "endless boot loop" problem.  I sent you a PM with my E4 directory structure. :)  Thanks for your work!

Offline FoxholeAtheist

« Reply #4714 on: April 12, 2014, 08:29:21 pm »
Hi Freak,

Just for giggles, I tried using that tool to generate a new cfc file, then uploaded it to the camera.  Still stuck in a loop on startup.

For future reference, how long should a cold-start take?

Offline FoxholeAtheist

« Reply #4715 on: April 12, 2014, 08:41:01 pm »
Success!!!

So, it turns out that somehow, using Marphy's tool, there was an extra "FlashFS" directory where it shouldn't be.  I deleted it, and the E8 version appears to be working, with MSX and everything!

Thanks to Marphy and Freak_Ge.... Freak's post in another thread mentioned that there can be no other files BEFORE conf.cfc in the directory, and that led me to the answer.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4716 on: April 12, 2014, 08:43:11 pm »
Remember to remove the battery (and obviously remove usb cable, duh :P) to make sure you get a cold boot.

Ah, you already fixed it.  :-+ The ever popular "I'll just copy 345987634 folders over there and see what happens" approach.  ;D

Offline FoxholeAtheist

« Reply #4717 on: April 12, 2014, 09:51:58 pm »
So, turns out my inept fumbling was the right answer!  Just got an email from Marphy that the directory I noticed was indeed the problem.

Now, having used TIConfig (with a minor hiccup), I have the E8 resolution and the expanded menu working perfectly.

:D

Offline Podrick

« Reply #4718 on: April 13, 2014, 06:45:07 am »
I also had this never ending boot loop problem when tried to upgrade with TIConfig. After Marphy's help I managed to delete these extra directorys and got camera working again. I used this new 0.2 version of TIConfig after this and everything went fine. Got menu and resolution upgraded.

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4719 on: April 13, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »
Marphy gave me the "fix" file also.
And yes, the odd 550 hiccup , tried a couple of times/reboot, etc. , but it now works!  :D

Time to go look for critters in the garage! :P

Again, Thank You Marphy!  :)

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #4720 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:45 pm »
bump

Offline tjb1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4721 on: April 15, 2014, 03:05:13 am »
I made a new 20mm lens holder that uses quite a bit less material and the camera is almost fully unobstructed (if you wanted to use it) - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:299482

Offline mucek

• Contributor
    • eCAT electronic engineering
« Reply #4722 on: April 15, 2014, 02:43:49 pm »
Just decided to trade my E40 for E4 and hack it for higher resolution ... I use thermal camera mostly for checking electronics prototypes (electronic developer) and higher resolution means way more than E40 "fancy" issues (WLAN ...)

I have few questions:
- Camera (E4) that I will get has some older firmware installed (1.19.?). Shall I first update it to 1.22 from FLIR webpage and then apply steps, described on https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/?

- To get all the features (like MSX, PiP ...) is it enough just to hack it to E8 like described, or shall I make some more? (I don't need functions, described as Taucher's menu)

- Are there any different versions of Ex models (I mean from hardware view - is there any older/newer series with different options) - I am asking this, because for E40bx there are 2 models, where newer has MSX and some other features that the old one doesn't have (and can't be obtained by firmware update).

MANY thanks and greetings from Slovenia,
Gregor

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #4723 on: April 15, 2014, 04:25:07 pm »
Why did you decide to give up your e40 for an e4?  You can up the resolution on your e40 just like the e4.
You have now lost your sd memory card, your wi-fi access and your blu-tooth.  The e40 also has a better,
focus-able lens too.  My e40 even shows "e60" in the settings screen, only place it doesn't show e60 is on
the housing itself.  My e40 does not have MSX, but I'm told I can do that in post, flir tools or something.

The only thing I haven't played with on my e40 is changing menus.  My zoom levels are now 1, 2, 4, 8x.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:29:20 pm by emptech »
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4724 on: April 15, 2014, 04:51:44 pm »
- Camera (E4) that I will get has some older firmware installed (1.19.?). Shall I first update it to 1.22
There is no reason to upgrade, and good reasons not to.
- Are there any different versions of Ex models (I mean from hardware view - is there any older/newer series with different options)
Not as far as we know.

BTW, has anyone opened a recent 1.22 model?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf