Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3790697 times)

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5850 on: November 19, 2014, 04:57:16 pm »
Because new users are trying to get a good deal on the camera.

Still waiting on a good coupon code from Zoro.com....
20TODAY coupon is good for 20% off today. Standard E4 for $796 shipped. FLIR.com is also teasing "white hot black friday deals start Sunday" so maybe they'll have some direct deals on the E4 too.

Very excited to get one and hack it if possible.

What's with all the new accounts talking about Zoro and posting multiple different coupons...

Offline Bud123

« Reply #5851 on: November 19, 2014, 04:59:32 pm »
And I want to be kept up to date on the amazing work you guys are doing here  :-+

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5852 on: November 19, 2014, 05:09:02 pm »
Didn't see the 20% coupon but thanks. Not sure if I should wait for black friday or go ahead and get one at 20% off and return this one (that I paid full price on....)
Also that drops the price below the free borescope to the crappy flashlight..... If it were 30% off I would jump on it.

20TODAY coupon is good for 20% off today. Standard E4 for $796 shipped. FLIR.com is also teasing "white hot black friday deals start Sunday" so maybe they'll have some direct deals on the E4 too.

What's with all the new accounts talking about Zoro and posting multiple different coupons...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:12:44 pm by gemrough »

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5853 on: November 19, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »
Wait for black friday.  I am getting my shopping list together to get as much as possible then.  Honestly I don't see how they make money on the E4 at that price.

Didn't see the 20% coupon but thanks. Not sure if I should wait for black friday or go ahead and get one at 20% off and return this one (that I paid full price on....)
Also that drops the price below the free borescope to the crappy flashlight..... If it were 30% off I would jump on it.

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5854 on: November 19, 2014, 06:00:35 pm »
I see where they did 40% off back in 2012 black friday. That would be sweet but I doubt we will see that big of a discount. There was a used E4 on ebay yesterday for $700... but it sold before they answered me about the firmware. Today there is a E30 but at 2,200 I don't think it is that good of a deal. (especially if I could get a new e40 for $2218 if they did do 40% off.

But then again do I need anything more than a E4 for amp repairs... the main thing I will be using it for???

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5855 on: November 20, 2014, 01:00:58 am »
Another 2.3.0/1.2L puppy just got converted here. Observations:

- in RNDIS mode the camera has a DHCP server with address 192.168.0.2 and will assign 192.168.0.1 to the computer

- Installing FLIR Tools does not install USB network (RNDIS) drivers. You can either install them as a separate package (search for flir_device_drivers.zip posted here before by someone) or as part of FLIR Player software (freeware from FLIR web site). Do this before trying to convert.

- not possible to set camera to RNDIS mode via camera's hidden menu. Has to be done using FLIRInstallNet.exe

- DHCP via RNDIS did not work on my Win7 64-bit. When I installed RNDIS drivers and uploaded Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif, the RNDIS driver recognized it and a new network adapter popped up in Windows Control Panel, but DHCP did not work and apparently the overall IP stack did not work, so that new adapter never gets the 192.168.0.1 address, and even if I could go and set it manually on that network adapter, still could not ping the camera or FTP to it. I then tried uploading Set_RNDIS_permament.fif and ended up with a semi-bricked  camera in terms of the camera still worked but I could not connect to it anymore neither via USB nor via RNDIS

- uploading Set_RNDIS_permament.fif and rebooting the camera changed the camera mode in the camera hidden menu to RNDIS, but same as for USB the mode cannot be changed from the camera. My guess was I could only revert it to USB if I can connect to the camera via RNDIS and delete the file that was uploaded before. But how do I connect to it if DHCP did not work?

- the solution was to move to a Win XP machine. I have a Win XP virtual machine on my W7 x64. I installed the RNDIS drivers package there, redirected the USB port to the VM and bingo, a new network adapter popped up and a message popped up that camera found on 192.168.0.2

- from this point I was able to ftp to the camera and browse the filesystem, on the XP machine

- installed Python v2.x on the XP and ran the conversion script as per the instructions and rebooted the camera

Man, what a difference!

So do not know if Win7 32-bit would work, mine was 64-bit with the latest Windows Updates, did not work. XP seems to work OK.

As others reported, there is also http access to the camera via a browser, you get a information page with some statistics and version info.

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline tjb1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5856 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:11 pm »
Because new users are trying to get a good deal on the camera.

Sure seems like a bunch of spam advertising for Zoro.  Never heard of them before and all the sudden 2-3 accounts are mentioning them in their first post.

So we have gemrough, Bud123, and viacom1 all posting about Zoro.  All accounts opened within about 2 weeks of each other and all at 11 or fewer posts...yeah, nothing fishy here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:14:48 pm by tjb1 »

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5857 on: November 20, 2014, 01:26:28 pm »
I cant speak for the other accounts but I can say I have no connections with them. I had never heard of them before either. The only reason I mentioned them is their price is a lot less than any where else....(and someone here had mentioned them and a 30% off coupon)  Which makes me a little suspicious. Has anyone here actually ordered from them and received their order?

I wonder if Amazon will price match them? If Amazon will, I'll just keep the E4 I ordered from them already.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5858 on: November 20, 2014, 01:31:41 pm »
FYI: I tried to buy at Zoro (at 30%), but they declined my intl. credit card and canceled my order a few hours later - they never replied to my emails. You can only purchase there if you
a) have an US credit card AND
b) have an US shipping address

Offline Northdynamic

« Reply #5859 on: November 20, 2014, 03:23:36 pm »
So do not know if Win7 32-bit would work, mine was 64-bit with the latest Windows Updates, did not work. XP seems to work OK.

I modified my E4 on a Windows 7 pro 64 bit with no problem, I don't think it is the OS as much as how your OS is configured. I did install the RNDIS drivers before I did anything else.

I only used the set_RNDIS_temporary file and all went smooth, I did need to reboot my camera more than once before the new resolution took effect.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5860 on: November 20, 2014, 03:54:38 pm »
Did you use the standalone drivers package? On my Win 7 64 they came as part of FLIR Camera Player install, and i later compared and found they are of a newer version than the drivers in the standalone package. Do not know if that caused the problem with W7 x64 .

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5861 on: November 20, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »
FYI: I tried to buy at Zoro (at 30%), but they declined my intl. credit card and canceled my order a few hours later - they never replied to my emails. You can only purchase there if you
a) have an US credit card AND
b) have an US shipping address

You might could order from tequipment.net and use coupon code TETB0805 (5% off) on a E4B for $806.55 after coupon.

Oh no! Now I am going to be accused of working for tequipment.net... LOL 

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5862 on: November 20, 2014, 06:56:36 pm »
I believe TEquipment.NET also offers a 6% discount for EEVBlog members.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:10:48 pm by ixfd64 »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5863 on: November 20, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »
Just to say in Canada E4 is sold for same price as in the US but in Canadian dollar, which is interesting since the exchange ratio is not 1:1. Of course tax applies on top but still.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5864 on: November 21, 2014, 10:41:16 am »
an old news:
current E4 FW from June 12, 2014
http://support.flir.com/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=196
contain two fpga FW
Code: [Select]
07.04.2014  09:26           632.594 fpga.bin
17.12.2013  08:18           606.097 fpga_lepton.bin

6 month ago Mike wrote:
And a 2nd fpga.bin (fpga_lepton.bin) is added, for whatever.  :-//
For products using the lepton core of course.
 My bet is the E4 will be replaced with a Lepton based unit.
Once Lepton is in production, why continue using a 320x240 sensor in the low-end product when they have a doubtless cheaper sensor available.

Are there some news about the E4 and Lepton?

The only professional Flir camera with Lepton sensor is the FLIR TG165 .

Offline samf

« Reply #5865 on: November 21, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the contribution and help.

I received E4 yesterday from ValueTesters, got $100 discounts when I called them, to my surprise I found that it was

E4 1.1L with 1.22.0 firmware on it.

I just want to confirm that Can I apply the hack "1.21/1.22 firmware hack info" to get it to E8+ level.

Note: *** I am no way affiliated to ValueTesters in anyway ***. Just the info...

Thank you.
Sam.

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5866 on: November 21, 2014, 03:56:42 pm »
Yea right... I know you are sitting there at work (for Valuetesters.com) and posting that you got the hard to find 1.22 firmware version just to try and drive up a bunch of orders..... LOL

You should be fine. Go to page 1 and look at the links on the first post. You should be able to find everything you need from there.

As for the E4 being switched to a lepton.... It could happen. But it is not cheap to change the PCB, have new batches made and populated just to save a little on the sensor itself. How concerned are they with the E4 hack... I'm sure some. But honestly I bet the E4 hack has caused more sales for them than revenue lost. My guess is most people looking for an E8 don't know or don't care about the hack.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5867 on: November 21, 2014, 04:09:26 pm »
an old news:
current E4 FW from June 12, 2014
http://support.flir.com/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=196
contain two fpga FW
Code: [Select]
07.04.2014  09:26           632.594 fpga.bin
17.12.2013  08:18           606.097 fpga_lepton.bin

6 month ago Mike wrote:
And a 2nd fpga.bin (fpga_lepton.bin) is added, for whatever.  :-//
For products using the lepton core of course.
 My bet is the E4 will be replaced with a Lepton based unit.
Once Lepton is in production, why continue using a 320x240 sensor in the low-end product when they have a doubtless cheaper sensor available.

Are there some news about the E4 and Lepton?

The only professional Flir camera with Lepton sensor is the FLIR TG165 .

I am kinda skeptical that they will just "replace" the E4 with a revamped Lepton based E4 unit. Since the E4 shares to much with the other Ex's I think it's more likely the E4 will just go away and be replaced by something entirely different with a Lepton in it and the rest of the Ex's will march on with the existing sensor tech and higher res. The second FPGA bin file was likely just left in from some testing. They would likely need a less powerful FPGA since the Lepton is already spitting out 9Hz, NUC'ed, and colored frames already - the only thing the FPGA would be needed for would be the MSX side of things.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5868 on: November 21, 2014, 05:19:47 pm »

Many stuff needs to be enabled somewhere, like pip, zoom, humidity, insulation, isotherm, spot, arrow, box... shortly - all stuff,
without them we have... only more palettes

Can you post how to add palettes?

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5869 on: November 21, 2014, 06:24:17 pm »
you just need 2.3.0Menu_Upgrade .... which can not be found posted anywhere....???? Maybe it is not a public released hack. 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5870 on: November 21, 2014, 06:39:21 pm »
Additional information that i have not seen yet in this thread:

When camera is in RNDIS permanent mode, you can FTP to it even if it is turned off but is connected to USB. However the login  is not flir/3vlig. The login credentials in this case are:

user:   anonymous
psw:    NcFTP@

Once connected (i use WinSCP) you can browse the filesystem, make a backup of the Flash, transfer files 2-way. This may also help if you bricked your camera, if you know which files you want to replace.

Do not power the camera on, just plug the usb cable in to use this login.

It should be possible to even reflash the firmware in this mode (using FLIRInstallNet.exe) if the camera is bricked.

EDIT:
Kids don't try it at home. You have to know what you are doing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:43:19 pm by Bud »

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5871 on: November 21, 2014, 06:44:04 pm »
If someone had the files for the firmware "upgrade" to go from 1.11/1.12 to 1.8 (or 1.9 what ever it was) could one not do this and "upgrade" a 2.3.0 to the older firmware?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5872 on: November 21, 2014, 07:06:55 pm »
Its been attempted and the answer is no.

FW 1.18 was released by FLIR ages ago and trying to install in a 2.x fw camera leaves it bricked.

The only known success was on a camera that was upgraded to 2.3 by FLIR during a repair. AFAIK the owner was able to recover it to its former self. Such is blocked by encryption and bootloader in factory 2.x units.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5873 on: November 21, 2014, 07:29:38 pm »

Many stuff needs to be enabled somewhere, like pip, zoom, humidity, insulation, isotherm, spot, arrow, box... shortly - all stuff,
without them we have... only more palettes

Can you post how to add palettes?
Yes, this was easy - next time they make it harder :). I like to add more, but can't hack it to read older files. Trying edit exe and dll files (conf loaded by appcore I see) but there is someones help needed...

First thing - you need resolution hack
after that  - how You like to do
                  FLIRInstallNet - browse fif file then run fif file
                  or copy needed files to camera

This all based on other peoples work from this thread and I changed only something in some places.
May be this is not working to all or not at all...
2.3.0_Menu_2.zip  [Link lifetime 7 days]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:45:14 am by janekivi »

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5874 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:34 pm »
FYI: FLIR is putting on a Black Friday sale that starts on the 23rd, although you'll have to sign up for on their website.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:38:59 am by ixfd64 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf