Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3790008 times)

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5975 on: November 29, 2014, 03:44:38 pm »
Hm okay, I thougt so...

I just tried it but without success. :( At first I copied the original files from the update package to see if it makes a difference (or even causes a crash or something) but after a reboot everything was like before. So I added the four lines from Bud, Re-CRC-ed and uploaded the files. I tried it immediately without a reboot but nothing changed also. So I did a reboot, only to notice that still nothing changed. Then I noticed the third line in the preset-file:
Code: [Select]
# IDLooks like I have to add my serial number, maybe it makes a difference. So I added it, re-CRC-ed the file again, uploaded it again and did a test before and after reboot but it still didn't work. "rls -l .image.services.store.quality" via telnet still returned a value of 85...

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5976 on: November 29, 2014, 03:54:46 pm »
Stefbeer,

Thanks for giving it a go! I am sure there is a way to to it but i have no idea how  :( I borrowed my e4 to a friend last week for 4
days. He has been thinking about getting one. He is also a computer guy, maybe he was in there playing around. I am going to call
him and see if he was!! He borrowed it to "winterize his house" but might have just wanted to get inside the camera.  :-/O

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5977 on: November 29, 2014, 04:03:39 pm »
did a test before and after reboot but it still didn't work. "rls -l .image.services.store.quality" via telnet still returned a value of 85...

did you toggle the preset ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline blkphtm

« Reply #5978 on: November 29, 2014, 04:36:29 pm »
Just received the E4, 2.3.0, 1.2L and applied v04 hack (had to manually upload the files).  Is the Menu hack also required?  I noticed that I did not have Thermal MSX as an option after the v04 hack, missing the cross hairs and temp, and if I just used the digital camera, I got an AppCore.exe error and the camera had to be shut down.  Anyone else run into these issues with 2.3.0 version?

I got the hack to work and this is what I did..
- Set the RNDIS to Permanent Mode, and did a hard reset
- Opened a Telnet session to 192.168.0.2 and typed "stopapp"
- Ran the v03 hack, and hard reset.
- Removed the Permanent RNDIS, and hard reset

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5979 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:49 pm »
@ heavybarrel:
That's a possibility. I checked the firmware update files for 1.18.7, 1.21.0 and 1.22.0 and none of them contained the folder. It first appeared in the firmware version 2.1.0.
Do you have an old backup which you could compare?

@ Bud:
Yes I did, just forgot to write that in my post. I checked before the reboot but after changing to "no measuring spot", then after changing it back to the center spot, then did a reboot and checked directly after the reboot, after changing it to "no measuring spot" and after changing it back to center spot. So not really any possibility to miss it :(

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5980 on: November 29, 2014, 10:45:42 pm »
Stefbeer,

Yep! He was in there messing around!! He explained what he was trying to do but i believe i completely filtered out everything
he said. I wasn't real happy but no harm no foul. He has a copy of the files now so he can beat those up as much as he wants.
Don't think he will get his mitts on my camera again unless he comes up with something really interesting. He also said he has been
following this thread,  hmm!

Also did look at my backup, no folder in there! Looks just like your comparison screenshots! Thanks for giving it a go on your
camera, hope someone can sneak around this  ;)

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5981 on: November 30, 2014, 12:33:34 am »
Little thing what I can do so far and showed to you is thanks to what wiser people talking here. I make here shortcuts for ideas what i have. I'm just kind of "notepad hacker". After comparing and looking cfc files they not wery scary any more. Thanks to other posts from here of course. But now I need some help so I can understand what some things here exactly mean:

The encryption algorithm is RC4 with the key being the SHA1(key || "2A00"), where "key" comes from the "FAD1:" device, ioctl 0x800040C0. That ioctl, which I don't fully understand what it's actually doing, returns 0x18 bytes, with the last 8 bytes being the key

Suid.exe is just reading the SUID as HEX-Code (8 byte to hex / printf("%16.16llX")) from FAD1: (read 30 bytes) and printing it - my guess is it's either a serial number or some camera specific key to be used for encryption.
Note: if a SUID was not found then the exe shall return "00000000000000000000000000000000" (printf("%16.16llX",0)).

Can someone pm me, my last programming lesson was too many years ago... (25)
So far you can play with this byte in appcore conf file where in adress 68 is data 7D
For fun - as you know this is affect nowhere, you can only see it with telnet [rls .caps.config.name] - write here 7F or 79... : )

Offline brooklyncam

« Reply #5982 on: November 30, 2014, 04:41:59 am »
Hi all, wondering if someone could help me.  I have the e4 with firmware 2.3. 

In trying to follow the steps, I haven't been able to successfully ftp to 192.168.0.2 as it just hangs (the IP isn't showing up when running ipconfig either).  Wondering whether it was because my computer's IP address is in the 10.0.1.1 default gateway, but I tried manually changing to 192.168.0.1 with no luck.

I tried applying the temporary.fif file first, and then rebooted and tried the permanent.tif one.  Now I can't even see the camera in the FLIRInstallNet program.  Any thoughts please?  Thanks much.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5983 on: November 30, 2014, 05:27:22 am »
Did you install the FLIR network drivers
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Paul10000

« Reply #5984 on: November 30, 2014, 11:53:30 am »
The E4 seems to top out at 280 degrees C - my friends E40 goes up to 650 possibly even 1200 - is there any way of enabling a higher range? In my naivety it would just be update a config file?  :-DD

Offline brooklyncam

« Reply #5985 on: November 30, 2014, 01:28:40 pm »
Thanks Bud, installing the Flir Device Drivers from their site first made everything work!

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5986 on: November 30, 2014, 04:02:44 pm »
My E4 went to snow again... no matter what I did I had static.... I noticed the battery was low so I charged it and the snow went away. Is this a voltage issue???

I wonder if the Armasight Zeus 160 (Flir) is software disabled like the E4.... Would be very tempting to get on if it could be upgraded to a Armasight Zeus 640!

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5987 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:19 am »
Zoro tools 30% off today!   Code: holiday

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5988 on: December 01, 2014, 12:11:46 pm »

Applies to the e4... final price $696.50 and free shipping on all orders. :)

Offline Diesel

« Reply #5989 on: December 01, 2014, 03:47:44 pm »
Just ordered E4 with Zoro coupon code $696.50 :-+

Offline lgustavocampos

« Reply #5990 on: December 01, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »
Upgrading E30 to E8 including resolution upgrade.

Hello All,

My name is Gustavo, and I have been craving to share with you all a great accomplishment I had with an E30, I successfully upgraded  it to an E60, using all the available hardwares, including “Camera”, Flash Light for illumination, 320x240 resolution with full frame buffer, WiFi, Bluetooth,  Video Recording, and even the name of it is E60 instead.

DO IT ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING SAID HERE, IF SOMETHING SOUNDED ODD OR GREK DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ALTER YOUR UNIT. I AM SHARING WHAT I HAVE DONE, AND I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MISUSES OF MISUNDERSTANDINGS OF ANY SORT. BE AWARE.

I will now share the procedures I endured through out this with all of you, but before I have some warnings:

1. This hack was performed over an E30 2012 model, so, before changing your unit,  check your unit serial number, it has to start with 490.
   2. The Firmware version must be  2.23.14, the latest for this model up today.
   3. You must backup every listed File, and once copying the new files, replace it, DO NOT LET OLD COPIES AT THE DIRECTORY OR THEY WILL BE EXECUTED, EVEN IF IT HAS CHANGED THE NAME OR EXTENSION. BE AWARE.
   4. To access your camera you must have the flir_device_drivers already installed
   5. Your camera must be at RNDIS MODE, in order to set it up, go to, Settings -> Information, press “right button” and keep it pressed till a USB menu appear and select RNDIS only, back, and got to the main screen,. NORMALLY TAKES 10 SECONDS TO THE USB MENU APPEAR.
   6. After steps 5 and 6 are done, connect your camera to your computer, wait 20 seconds, open a FTP software (WinSCP or FileZilla) and connect to 192.168.0.2 username: flir password: 3vlig
   7. It is highly recommended that you may be acquitted to FTP and those things, or you will damage your unit.
   8. This is what worked for me, and I am just reporting by explaining how to, do it at your own risk.

Procedures

1. Make a full backup of the directory FlashFS, skip every unaccessible file, the most important here are the Configuration files, the others will be in case of need.

2. Open at the backup file:  FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg
 2.1 Take a note of the line started with # ID, it is in the bottom of the file. This is a important step, this ID is, although, your serial number.

3. Open the same file at the downloaded Hack files FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg

4. Replace the # ID 490xxxxx to your # ID and add a new line <ENTER> (DO NOT FORGET TO ADD THE NEW LINE RIGHT AFTER THE LAST CHARACTER, DO NOT LET ANY OTHER CHARACTER LEFT.)

5. Now copy this altered file to the same place where the CRC01.exe is located

6. at the command line and at the directory where you have just copied the file, enter: cc01.exe “conf.cfg”

7. It will display a line with the CRC01 of the file, it will look like this “# CRC01 fd769a2a” copy it and past it at the end conf.cfg you are editing from the hack files, and add a new line pressing ENTER (DO NOT FORGET TO ADD THE NEW LINE RIGHT AFTER THE LAST CHARACTER, DO NOT LET ANY OTHER CHARACTER LEFT.)

8. Copy the just modified hack file to the same path in the camera using your FTP Software.

9. Do the same procedures shown at lines 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, but instead you will use:
     9.2 \FlashFS\system\ui.d\config.d\conf.cfg
     9.3 \FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg
     9.4 \FlashFS\system\services.d\config.d\conf.cfg

10. Copy from your backup  file \FlashFS\system\kits.d\confkit.rev, open it and alter  E30 to E60 at the line started with VERSION. there is no need to add the CRC01, just alter and copy it back to your unit at the same path you copied from your backup “\FlashFS\system\kits.d\confkit.rev”

After everything done, turn off your camera by pressing “start button” for 2 seconds, take the battery off and replace it and restart again. and Now you have a E60.

To use the full potential of the unit, take the cove of the laser off and make wholes where the Flash light and Camera are located, it is hidden beneath it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:26:38 am by lgustavocampos »

The following users thanked this post: pubo, _Wim_, bonzoxxx, andre2142, nikitasius, jjdemu

Offline sidewinder770

« Reply #5991 on: December 02, 2014, 01:23:01 am »

Thanks for the heads up. I've been considering an E4 for quite some time and been following this thread for several months. That kind of price made finally get off the pot and order one. Hopefully all goes well with the upgrade once it gets here. Although a VERY long thread there is tons of info here and I wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed!

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #5992 on: December 02, 2014, 08:17:46 am »
Igustavocampos:

That's great!  We knew an e30 could be upgraded but we wondered about the wi-fi, we suspected the electronics was on the board and just needed to be enabled, but didn't know for sure.  I upgraded my e40 many months ago thanks to this forum.

You also gave a good step-by-step, if I had to do it again, not sure if I could, I've forgotten the steps.

BTW, the neat thing about the eXX series with bluetooth and wi-fi, the video can be streamed to another device.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:19:41 am by emptech »
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline nissepisse

« Reply #5993 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:40 am »
Batch FLIR Images Converter:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Hi Dave,
Would it be possible to make an image offset setting between the IR and visible picture in your program to compensate wrong MSX settings? Or is the pictures tied together hard from the Ex?

/NP

Offline lgustavocampos

« Reply #5994 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:52 am »
Emptech:

Once done, all the features will be from a real E60, I have recorded videos from the unit, used the WiFi and Bluetooth, as I said at the post, it has a real camera just hidden beneath the cover, you only need to expose it doing wholes at the cover.

And about the streaming, the pictures I am showing I have taken them all from a mirroring streaming with the Flir tools, but a native IR streaming is also available, I am using it at my own lab.

With this hack you can even use the pip, IR + visual blended and all the features available at the E60.

Tell me, Have you successfully enabled the 320x240 or where you using the supervisor mode???

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:18:16 pm by lgustavocampos »

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5996 on: December 03, 2014, 12:24:54 am »
Ordered from Zoro yesterday and order still shows "Pending Approval".... I'm starting to wonder if they are going to honer the 30% off coupon....

Offline Chris Epler

« Reply #5997 on: December 03, 2014, 12:51:06 am »
It took them a day to ship mine.
 Certainly no Amazon Prime :) but I guess I've gotten spoiled...

Offline sidewinder770

« Reply #5998 on: December 03, 2014, 01:01:55 am »
It took them a day to ship mine.
 Certainly no Amazon Prime :) but I guess I've gotten spoiled...

I order most of my items prime as well so I know exactly what you mean- Amazon actually had them for $850 this last weekend and I almost did that. Come to find out Zoro is actually owned by Grainger so all should be good. I actually got my shipping confirmation with a tracking number today but it doesn't register with UPS yet and I placed my order yesterday morning.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:05:03 am by sidewinder770 »

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5999 on: December 03, 2014, 01:03:19 am »
Ordered from Zoro yesterday and order still shows "Pending Approval".... I'm starting to wonder if they are going to honer the 30% off coupon....

Mine sat like that for a day and then changed to 'pending fulfillment'
Tomorrow must be the ship day. I ordered Monday morining.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf