Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769804 times)

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6550 on: January 26, 2015, 08:14:26 pm »
No lenses inside,  only two mirrors and they are highly IR reflective.

Odd, can't no longer access hidden menu, beyond 'camera information' menu, I have E4 1.2L    2.3.0 software. still original.
I did install drivers and download some images from the E4 to my pc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:18:41 pm by GARRETT64 »

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6551 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:53 pm »
I've been meaning to try this, but I was thinking to use one of the cheap ZnSe "close-up lenses" as a primitive "eyepiece". But it's not likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Nearly every reflecting telescope uses a thin front-surface layer of aluminum, and aluminum's reflectivity is plenty high throughout the IR range. (Its emissivity is probably plenty low, too, which should help.) My only concern would be whether a very thin layer (much thinner than a single wavelength) would have different reflectance properties; I doubt it, but this is way outside my areas of study.

At 10-20x the normal wavelength, your mirror will appear superb, but you can also expect only 1/10-1/20th the resolution that you get in visible wavelengths, if I'm remembering my optics correctly. It'll likely be a good match for the low-resolution detectors we're working with, though.

The one thing I've found puzzling is "what would I look at?" Besides the Moon, which shows up clearly on a 320x240 Flir imager, I'm not sure what celestial targets would be bright, warm, and extended enough to show up. What are your thoughts? (Perhaps this would best be discussed on an astronomy forum...!)

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6552 on: January 26, 2015, 08:47:44 pm »
Good!  :D hidden menu is back, it was and is: 'camera information' menu, then 'model' menu, then press right button for 10 seconds :palm:

The moon in the focal plane of my telescope is 13 mm, (on the sensor), in the E4 the whole image would be the moon!
With just the E4 (un-mod) it is only a few pixels...
Other target would be the nebula like the large Orion nebula, with the E4 the nebula would be gone, A galaxy could be awesome.
I have made a few Near IR images with my IR modified DSLR camera, tomorrow I will upload here a example.
btw, many of the images from the Hubble Space Telescope are made in the Far Infrared.

Today I bought a screen protector (for a Apple S6+) 2 for 10 Euro.
I also need a tool to unscrew the lens, I found some 3D print drawings here on EEV, lets pimp Flir!

Garrett

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6553 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:13 pm »
I've been meaning to try this, but I was thinking to use one of the cheap ZnSe "close-up lenses" as a primitive "eyepiece". But it's not likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

The one thing I've found puzzling is "what would I look at?" Besides the Moon, which shows up clearly on a 320x240 Flir imager, I'm not sure what celestial targets would be bright, warm, and extended enough to show up. What are your thoughts? (Perhaps this would best be discussed on an astronomy forum...!)
Aircraft.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6554 on: January 26, 2015, 09:42:57 pm »

Aircraft.

Interesting, would he be able to locate satellites as well?

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6555 on: January 27, 2015, 01:20:33 am »

Aircraft.

Ugh. Good luck tracking them. (Yes, there are advanced amateurs who can do it. I'm not one of them.)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6556 on: January 27, 2015, 07:07:28 am »
Interesting, would he be able to locate satellites as well?
Maybe the ISS? That's pretty big and has a well published orbit.

Offline decomp

« Reply #6557 on: January 27, 2015, 08:09:44 am »
But my E4 having intermittent issues with shutter laggy or even unresponsive and occasional lockups - so I want to try the 1.22 f/w upgrade to see if that makes any difference.  Thanks again!

Please keep us posted in case if you will upgrade FW1.98 HW1 E4 to FW 2.3 and then get the high res.

Hi!
I'm new to this forum.
I haved... an higres E4. I upgraded to fw 2.3.0 from fw 1.22.

I try to apply hack v04.zip and the hack don't work.

= CONNECT TO FTP
 = CREATING BACKUP DIR backup-20150125231816
 = RETR /FlashBFS/system/common_dll.dll
 = RETR /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Grazia\Downloads\v0.4\v0.4\t1\apply.py", line 90, in <module>
    assert found, "UNKNOWN %s: digest/len is %s" % (name, h)
AssertionError: UNKNOWN conf.cfc: digest/len is 6320

Now I have a E4 loweres...

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6558 on: January 27, 2015, 09:17:07 am »
Maybe the ISS? That's pretty big and has a well published orbit.

ISS is 100m wide or so, but still a point in the sky, image is shot with a telescope from the ground and show ISS (Space Station) transit the sun.
(Google image), a transit takes only a few seconds.

Sorry I have no good IR images I promised yesterday.

Garrett
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:38:33 am by GARRETT64 »

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6559 on: January 27, 2015, 02:03:44 pm »
Thanks DaveWB, I want to use the TIC for my hobby astronomy, I have a large Newton type telescope which is highly automated for remote imaging.
Some parts of the telescope are heated to prevent dew, but for optimum imaging results the telescope should have the same temperature on any part.
The TIC can show us (I'm not the only user) heat spots.
And we can use the telescope as 'lens' for the E4 by removing the E4 lens and make a special adaptor to attach the E4 on the telescope focuser,
having a 1550mm F3.8 mirror 'lens' for a TIC!, for several reasons this isn't easy, we must also modify the telescope in some way.

The image show the telescope still inside my home.

Garrett

Hello, I will follow your work, I made a quick and dirty test with my telescope:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg435324/#msg435324

By the way wonderful telescope you have there, is a beast, 16" ? Mine is 8" F5
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:10:25 pm by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6560 on: January 27, 2015, 06:27:54 pm »
Just curious the temp scale is manual and the smallest difference is 2 can this be made smaller and can the maximum 280 be higher ?

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6561 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »
No.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6562 on: January 27, 2015, 08:01:15 pm »
I need the file /FlashBFS/system/web/service/Diag/Reconfig.asp", or better yet a copy of the entire web folder of an E4/E5/E6/E8 that has a working "Activate Service Mode" web interface menu item. Or better yet a copy of the entire filesystem. Please. Send to jorge at jorgechamorro dot com. Thank you!
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6563 on: January 28, 2015, 06:23:32 am »
Did not you read the Readme in v0.4 package... What is your conf file length? It says if the conf file length is not 6608 then this hack is not for you.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6564 on: January 28, 2015, 07:16:51 am »
I need the file /FlashBFS/system/web/service/Diag/Reconfig.asp", or better yet a copy of the entire web folder of an E4/E5/E6/E8 that has a working "Activate Service Mode" web interface menu item. Or better yet a copy of the entire filesystem. Please. Send to jorge at jorgechamorro dot com. Thank you!
What firmware version was this found on? I can check for you through a couple people I have helped.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6565 on: January 28, 2015, 08:35:21 am »
What firmware version was this found on? I can check for you through a couple people I have helped.

I have a 2.3.0 but its web folder comes almost empty (?). I'm trying things with a webfolder I found in this thread, but it's missing that file ("/service/Diag/Reconfig.asp"), which is referenced by the service menu item button that's setup in web/service/inc/servicemenu.inc#L164:

Code: [Select]
if ( CamType == "Z" )
  menuRow("Activate Service Mode", "/service/Diag/Reconfig.asp", "submenu1", selectedMenu == "mnuDiagReconfig");

I'd need a copy of a complete, working webfolder from a previous FW version...

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:52:30 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6566 on: January 28, 2015, 10:28:26 am »
There is Flir E4 owners who are testing my new "2.3.0 Menu 2014 Advanced update".
Some things with this may be hard to understand. I can give a little guide from things
I figured out so far. Sometimes camera needs restart too... there is windows : )

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #6567 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:53 pm »
There is Flir E4 owners who are testing my new "2.3.0 Menu 2014 Advanced update".
Some things with this may be hard to understand. I can give a little guide from things
I figured out so far. Sometimes camera needs restart too... there is windows : )

While reading this I was wondering where to fetch that file until realizing that you probably didn't
post a preliminary  "2.3.0 Menu 2014 Advanced update" but must have sent it around
in private - this way you have the overhead of distributing the files and it's limiting the people
who might take a look at it (can be helpful or not).

While I'm already writing... here some old info that might help: with advanced measurements
I had the strong impression that we can't fix stuff anything inside the bytecode where the
camera will lock up etc.. It probably never had to do those functions and the only reason why
those functions exists is likely just due to the fact that developers used a common source.

In my experience any function depending on the preset.d folder or -more generally said-
writing some files seemed to be _at least_ a bit sluggish (most likely due to the extra I/O).
IMHO there's a good chance that the Ex series runs a hardware that is simply not as capable
in regard to I/O performance as the higher models - thereby causing all sorts of "wonderful"
effects by running into deadlocks or waiting for the (slow) file-I/O-reply.

From my own experience the following did help a lot:
- clear versioning, describing version changes and keeping a backlog of what has changed
- openness (post everything, sometimes somebody else will be able to assist - helped me several times)
- some ignorance (you will get private requests like "I can't open cmd or copy a file but want to ..."

Last but not least:
Keep on going  :-+

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6568 on: January 28, 2015, 02:28:14 pm »
When this is complicated and not easy to use and understand (but advanced users can handle this)
I didn't release it yet to avoid big pile of letters. But if you know what to expect from camera,
all this is working very fine in everiday use. Now I must only see what I must limit with conf and
what enable-disable befor to show it to bigger group.
If somebody like to play more with E4 where is 2.3.0_menu_2014 already and can replace files and
patch conf and restore it, I'm happy to share this update for testing.

Offline FredB

• Contributor
« Reply #6569 on: January 28, 2015, 06:19:08 pm »
I fully agree with Janekivi.  :)
Before distributing it has to be almost monkey proof. Otherwise it brings people in big trouble. And that is not what anyone on this forum wants. Now some people are already having trouble with the highreso hack. Mostly because they don't want to spend some spare time to read the former posts.
Sometimes because they are simply not able to understand what they are supposed to do.
To avoid too many 'crash questions' I think Janekivi is doing the right method.
Keep on going. We all appreciate your efforts.  :-+

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6570 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:17 pm »
Just a small update on cfccfg.py for 2.3. It now drops the signature/tail from the .cfg file. You can also make changes to  the .cfg in plain text before converting back to .cfc, the file tail is created with the proper file size info (the signature is set to all 0). Note that you need the "HIRES" patch  first in order to skip the CRC/signature check for this to work.

I tested adding a few lines to the .cfg file (comments, putting back 80x60 resolution...), convert to .cfc and use that on camera. Seems to work fine.

original post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg594600/#msg594600
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:26:03 pm by gif999 »

The following users thanked this post: dieseltech82, tetsusya, davith

Offline krom

« Reply #6571 on: January 29, 2015, 02:28:39 am »
Well, I finally got an xp machine to use, and networking is working fine, but now I can't find the v04.zip file. 
Searching on here is returning 0 posts, dunno if its an issue on my end or the forum's. 
Does any one have a link, I'm going crosseyed trying to read through all the posts to find it

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6572 on: January 29, 2015, 05:03:51 am »
Look at the messages posted around mid October for the V0.4 file, I think this is around page 375

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6573 on: January 29, 2015, 12:40:53 pm »
Well, I finally got an xp machine to use, and networking is working fine, but now I can't find the v04.zip file. 
Searching on here is returning 0 posts, dunno if its an issue on my end or the forum's. 
Does any one have a link, I'm going crosseyed trying to read through all the posts to find it

To set RNDIS mode:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg531346/#msg531346

The v0.4.zip file:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg534297/#msg534297

Offline decomp

« Reply #6574 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:16 pm »
But my E4 having intermittent issues with shutter laggy or even unresponsive and occasional lockups - so I want to try the 1.22 f/w upgrade to see if that makes any difference.  Thanks again!

Please keep us posted in case if you will upgrade FW1.98 HW1 E4 to FW 2.3 and then get the high res.

Hi!
I'm new to this forum.
I haved... an higres E4. I upgraded to fw 2.3.0 from fw 1.22.

I try to apply hack v04.zip and the hack don't work.

= CONNECT TO FTP
 = CREATING BACKUP DIR backup-20150125231816
 = RETR /FlashBFS/system/common_dll.dll
 = RETR /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Grazia\Downloads\v0.4\v0.4\t1\apply.py", line 90, in <module>
    assert found, "UNKNOWN %s: digest/len is %s" % (name, h)

Now I have a E4 loweres...

Wrong wrong wrong was my original post!
After the upgrade from e4 fw 1.22-hires to 2.3.0, the resolution remain the same hires (320x240). Infact the cfc file maintain the format of 1.22 fw. I only loose the extra feature of the menus. The upgrade restored the factory menu of the fw 2.3.0 e4 camera.

Now I need to understand on how to modify cfc to enable extra functions (2014-menu) available on the 2.3.0 fw.

How can I do that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf