Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3799701 times)

Offline lofitohifi

another Zoro discount
« Reply #6775 on: March 17, 2015, 06:14:50 am »
30% off at zoro, 3hrs
11am - 2pm (ct)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:16:48 am by lofitohifi »

Offline dakine

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6776 on: March 18, 2015, 12:39:49 am »
I purchased a FLIR E4-B by accident. Will the hack still work for that model? The only thing different with the E4-B is the temperature range is not as high as the standard E series. I'm assuming the hack will work for this model but I'd like to verify it. Thanks.

I hope that I'm wrong, but the temperature range seems close to that of the Flir Lepton sensor, (which would be a very bad thing).
Pretty sure hardware is the same, could be that it's calibrated over a more limited range.

I canceled the order just to be on the safe side.

Offline Pig

« Reply #6777 on: March 19, 2015, 05:26:43 am »
For some strange reason I can't get FLIR TOOLS (v 5.1) and drivers (v.1.9.1) to recognize the E4. It's a hacked E4 and I just tried to rehack it
which all worked up until it errored out stating some hacked file already exists.

Win7/64 ultimate

I am trying to install Flir Tools 4.1 next.

Added:
By the way, can anyone tell me why this program (FLIR Tools) is so huge? 4.1 clocks in at 562.65MB!!!!???
It also takes a LONG time to install. This should not be such a huge thing in my opinion.

Will update this post if I can get FLIR TOOLS to recognize the hacked E4....

UPDATE: no luck. Installed uninstalled and reinstalled FLIR Tools and Flir Camera Drivers both 32bit and 64 bit versions. Camera not recognized in FLIR Tools. Some good programming there, Mr. Flir! :(

UPDATE UPDATE: seems to be a Network issue. It can't connect to "MyComputerName/Images" with error: The Network path Was Not Found.
Seems a LOT of hassle to get to a couple of small images...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:48:51 am by Pig »

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6778 on: March 19, 2015, 08:15:16 am »
By the way, can anyone tell me why this program (FLIR Tools) is so huge? 4.1 clocks in at 562.65MB!!!!???

Lol. Cant. And why it is so sloooooow?

Give a try to BFIC. Its small, fast and free:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:18:07 am by daves »
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline sunlux

« Reply #6779 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:23 pm »
Hello everyone.
Sorry for my english ... I use google translator.
I would like to say thank you. A few days ago I bought E4 and upgraded its resolution. to 320x240. The picture is super.

At the beginning when the operation occurred colored vertical stripes that disappeared a moment of self-calibration of the camera. After 15 minutes use the camera the stripes not show anylonger. I have the picture of them:

My camera FLIR E4:
Model: E4 1.2L
Software: 2.3.0

How can I activate extended menu 2.3.0 software like here?

After few tests the file works/show extended menu:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:06:27 am by sunlux »

Offline sidewinder770

« Reply #6780 on: March 20, 2015, 04:11:30 pm »
post removed
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:45:21 pm by sidewinder770 »

Offline ToT

« Reply #6781 on: March 21, 2015, 01:34:59 am »
I tried to hack following the instructions in:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg585647/#msg585647

Long story short, at the end I stupidly tried to install "Set_RNDIS_permanent.fif", as nothing seemed to happen with "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif", and as the poster had been forced to do so himself.
Now I'm stuck with crippled RNDIS, and no USB.
"Remove_RNDIS_Permament.fif" only leads to "Connection timeout" "Operation aborted" "Close TELNET link" "No Adapter".

I have tried with Win8.1 64 and 32 bit. I don't have any older OS running.
The Flir Camera Network Device is shown in the device manager, and is reported to be working.
I have moved my router up to 192.168.0.201.
I have expanded my DHCP range to allow from 192.168.0.1 and up to .200
I have installed drivers from Flirs homepage.

The camera still doesn't turn up as 192.168.0.2. , instead ipconfig says 169.254.104.229, and Flir install 2 lists 169.254.104.230.
I installed Filezilla, (full of malware), and tried to connect to 169.254.104.230 with user flir and password 3vlig, but as expected, no luck there either.

I have restarted computers and pulled the battery from the camera numerous times.
Nothing seems to work, except for the camera it self.

I would be more than grateful for any suggestions of what to try.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6782 on: March 21, 2015, 04:06:55 am »
Try resetting to factory default using camera settings menu, see if it comes up as USB after reboot, at which point you can run remove permanent RNDIS script.

Otherwise find a Win XP (best) or Win 7 computer.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ToT

« Reply #6783 on: March 21, 2015, 08:53:32 am »
Thanks for your reply Bud.
Factory reset didn't help I'm afraid.
The camera isn't completely silent. The driver finds it, recognizes it as a Flir camera, but fails to configure.
I have a netbook that I should be able to revert to XP, with some trouble as it came with a XP DVD, but no optical drive.
It's that or an old Vista laptop, but that would feel like putting a scalpel in the hands of a baboon, just beacause he's wearing a surgical mask...  ;)

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6784 on: March 21, 2015, 10:28:01 am »
IP auto configuration never worked for me. I always have to change the IP (of the FLIR network adapter) to 192.168.250.1, and the connect to 192.168.250.2.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6785 on: March 21, 2015, 02:32:04 pm »
I have a netbook that I should be able to revert to XP, with some trouble as it came with a XP DVD, but no optical
You can install XP on a virtual machine on your 8.1, install then the FLIR network drivers in XP, plug the camera in and redirect the USB port to XP.

But before going with XP , check if there is a device on your network that is using 192.168.0.1 or 2 address, it may be a router or another computer on your LAN. With the camera unplugged run a ping command from command prompt
 "ping 192.168.0.1" and "ping 192.168.0.2" and see if any response comes back. If that is the case, unplug your computer LAN cable to isolate and try the camera again.

The following users thanked this post: bilok

Offline gtatters

• Contributor
« Reply #6786 on: March 21, 2015, 04:44:00 pm »
I am wondering if I could ask this forum for your assistance in a calculation involving thermal imaging? I have a FLIR SC660 as well as FLIR's R&D software but have been wanting to import images into my own R script (or Matlab) to make my own analyses easier. I am having trouble with converting from the Raw data in a .seq file and cam across your book with the helpful equations that are used.

My constraint is that we have made measurements with an external germanium window (T=0.96) so I would like to convert raw data into estimated temperature to obtain estimates the same as what FLIR's software produces. We have hours of thermal video recorded in this manner, and so we are trying to automate the conversion process without requiring the FLIR software. I know the Planck calibration constants for my camera as well as the offset value.   

The general premise is that I'm trying to track the path of the signal from the Object --> Atmosphere 1 --> IR Window --> Atmosphere 2 --> Sensor, taking into account any reflected signal that is also attenuated through the external optics.

In the attached https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7096611/thermalvids/RawtoTConversion.xlsx, I have shown calculations for the RAW 16 bit A/D value obtained from FLIR software (or extracted via exiftool), and my attempt to convert this to a temperature.

I thought I almost figured it out, but I keep hitting a wall.  I've applied a kludge correction factor that appears to force values but I don't know why.  Could I ask you to look over the attached spreadsheet to see what I might be doing wrong?  It's an edited version of a spreadsheet that has appeared on this forums, but I've tried to adapt equations from Minkina's book "Infrared Thermography: Errors and Uncertainties". 

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Offline meta4

« Reply #6787 on: March 22, 2015, 08:10:33 am »
Hello,

I have a e4 with firmware 2.3.  I am stuck at trying to login to FTP.  I'm getting bad username/password.  I've entered username: "flir" and password: "3vlig"
Username was accepted but password is not taking with 3vlig.  Any idea why password is not accepting?  I've reset and tried multiple times with same result.

Offline ToT

« Reply #6788 on: March 22, 2015, 08:19:01 pm »
Phew...  :P
Two things that I have learned:
1.) For the lifespan of my Flir camera, I will keep one computer running XP.
2.) The "permanent" .fif is slightly evil, and should pherhaps not be used as a last resort.

Many thanks to all contributors!
 :-+

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6789 on: March 24, 2015, 08:44:42 am »
My constraint is that we have made measurements with an external germanium window (T=0.96) so I would like to convert raw data into estimated temperature to obtain estimates the same as what FLIR's software produces. We have hours of thermal video recorded in this manner, and so we are trying to automate the conversion process without requiring the FLIR software. I know the Planck calibration constants for my camera as well as the offset value.   

The general premise is that I'm trying to track the path of the signal from the Object --> Atmosphere 1 --> IR Window --> Atmosphere 2 --> Sensor, taking into account any reflected signal that is also attenuated through the external optics.

In the attached https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7096611/thermalvids/RawtoTConversion.xlsx, I have shown calculations for the RAW 16 bit A/D value obtained from FLIR software (or extracted via exiftool), and my attempt to convert this to a temperature.

I thought I almost figured it out, but I keep hitting a wall.  I've applied a kludge correction factor that appears to force values but I don't know why.  Could I ask you to look over the attached spreadsheet to see what I might be doing wrong?  It's an edited version of a spreadsheet that has appeared on this forums, but I've tried to adapt equations from Minkina's book "Infrared Thermography: Errors and Uncertainties". 

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Hi gtatters,

you have the same state of knowledge like me.
Last year we got a nice hint from a Flir insider to the book
Source: Minkina, Dudzik: Infrared Thermography: Errors and Uncertainities, Appendix A, page 171, http://books.google.cz/books?id=6H3HyacPxnMC&pg=PA171
for calculating the atmosphere transmissivity ...
(see http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,4898.msg27530.html#msg27530 and following)

It's not sure, that current Flir cameras using exact the formula from page 58 (Minkina year 2004) for calculating inspection windows.
(Don't forget: all thermal image camera producers use different formulas).

But we know, that all kludge correction values are coded inside the exif header
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/EXIFTOOL/Image-ExifTool-9.90/lib/Image/ExifTool/FLIR.pm
Code: [Select]
0x20 => { Name => 'Emissivity',                   %float2f },
    0x24 => { Name => 'ObjectDistance', Format => 'float', PrintConv => 'sprintf("%.2f m",$val)' },
    0x28 => { Name => 'ReflectedApparentTemperature', %floatKelvin },
    0x2c => { Name => 'AtmosphericTemperature',       %floatKelvin },
    0x30 => { Name => 'IRWindowTemperature',          %floatKelvin },
    0x34 => { Name => 'IRWindowTransmission',         %float2f },
    # 0x38: 0
    0x3c => {
        Name => 'RelativeHumidity',
        Format => 'float',
        ValueConv => '$val > 2 ? $val / 100 : $val', # have seen value expressed as percent in FFF file
        PrintConv => 'sprintf("%.1f %%",$val*100)',
    },
    # 0x40 - float: 0,6
    # 0x44,0x48,0x4c: 0
    # 0x50 - int32u: 1
    # 0x54: 0
    0x58 => { Name => 'PlanckR1', %float8g }, #1
    0x5c => { Name => 'PlanckB',  %float8g }, #1
    0x60 => { Name => 'PlanckF',  %float8g }, #1
    # 0x64,0x68,0x6c: 0
    0x070 => { Name => 'AtmosphericTransAlpha1', %float6f }, #1 (value: 0.006569)
    0x074 => { Name => 'AtmosphericTransAlpha2', %float6f }, #1 (value: 0.012620)
    0x078 => { Name => 'AtmosphericTransBeta1',  %float6f }, #1 (value: -0.002276)
    0x07C => { Name => 'AtmosphericTransBeta2',  %float6f }, #1 (value: -0.006670)
    0x080 => { Name => 'AtmosphericTransX',      %float6f }, #1 (value: 1.900000)
    # 0x84,0x88: 0
    # 0x8c - float: 0,4,6
    0x90 => { Name => 'CameraTemperatureRangeMax', %floatKelvin },
    0x94 => { Name => 'CameraTemperatureRangeMin', %floatKelvin }
my first look goes to unknown 0x84 and following  :)

the next step is downloading the Flir sample images from Phil (52 flir models !!)
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/sample_images.html
and compare to the unknown values ...

Offline trevordd

« Reply #6790 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:08 am »
Hi there, guys! Nice to meet you, I am new here. I need a night vision too. I am thinking of buying rifle scopes from atncorp. What can you tel me about it? My friend says that they are very good and reliable.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6791 on: March 24, 2015, 09:25:15 am »
Hi there, guys! Nice to meet you, I am new here. I need a night vision too. I am thinking of buying rifle scopes from atncorp. What can you tel me about it? My friend says that they are very good and reliable.

Night vision isn't the same as infrared. The former enhances the little light available and infrared detects the IR given off from everything. This isn't really the right thread to discuss rifle scopes...

Offline gtatters

• Contributor
« Reply #6792 on: March 24, 2015, 12:19:14 pm »
Thanks for the help Tomas.  Turns out I made the classic error I've always made in math....switched a plus with a minus sign.  I now no longer require my own kludge factor and all of my camera calibration constants provide a meaningful raw to temperature conversion (I still have to full check my calculations against different flir software packages but the preliminary checks with e=0.9, t=0.9 and short distances appear to be exactly the same as what ThermacamResearcher Pro produces).

My primary purpose with this was to take raw data from .seq files which are TIFF encoded, so yes I'm sure that other formats will require different procedures.

If it helps, here is my updated calculation for the inclusion of an IR window.  I use an IR window with transmission ~0.96 in the range of sensitivity of my camera.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7096611/thermalvids/RawtoTConversion.xlsx

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6793 on: March 25, 2015, 02:30:55 am »
Hello everyone.
Sorry for my english ... I use google translator.
I would like to say thank you. A few days ago I bought E4 and upgraded its resolution. to 320x240. The picture is super.

At the beginning when the operation occurred colored vertical stripes that disappeared a moment of self-calibration of the camera. After 15 minutes use the camera the stripes not show anylonger. I have the picture of them:

My camera FLIR E4:
Model: E4 1.2L
Software: 2.3.0

How can I activate extended menu 2.3.0 software like here?

After few tests the file works/show extended menu:
I helped someone do their camera too and they had the same problem, wish I knew what it was...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6794 on: March 25, 2015, 02:53:33 am »
Could be a defective batch of cameras. I raped mine in and out (2.3.0) and never seen anything like that.

Offline Jim1960

« Reply #6795 on: March 25, 2015, 04:19:09 pm »
Hi everyone, I originally posted the below message in the "Flir E4 Teardown Q/A and newbie questions" forum on page# 10 on March 12/15 but never got a reply. So I thought I'd post it again on this forum as it is far more active, I hope someone who can help me replies as I am still really stuck. Thanks, Jim.....

Hi all, I sure have learned a lot reading the hundreds of posts on the EEVblog regarding E4 camera modifications. However, I have reached a point where I am stuck at with my E4 camera, and would like to please reach out for a mentor that could give me some advice. I have gotten as far as being able to read and access my E4's internal files with Filezilla, but am afraid to go any further as I don't want to end up bricking my E4.

My E4 is one of the newer ones, so I'm looking for help from someone who has successfully performed the resolution and menu hacks. The info on my E4 is: Model = E4 1.2L, Part# 63901-0101, Software = 2.3.0

If it is ok with you, you can contact me directly at:  thermographer007@hotmail.com

Thanks, Jim1960

Offline fubar.gr

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #6796 on: March 26, 2015, 04:56:30 pm »
Another successful hack. Just received my E4 from TME.eu today. Firmware ver. 2.3.0

The hack was performed on a Windows 7 64bit machine. The python script did return some 550 errors, but now the camera has full resolution. Just to be sure I will copy the files again manually with Filezilla.

Offline PanzerAlexander

« Reply #6797 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:58 pm »
Flir B335 converted to B425
Functions added: panorama, video recording, program mode, thermal fusion!

All credits goes to Mike! many many many many thanks!  :clap:

- in camera settings set usb mode to network disk
- ftp to /FlashFS/system/gui.d/config.d/ (user: flir pwd: 3vlig)
- edit gui.cfg and replace all "false" with "true"
- put the correct CRC in the file and overwrite it in the camera
- shut down camera, remove battery, restart

Greetings from Italy

:-+

Hello I am a complete newbie when it comes to hacking, does anyone has more detailed info on how to upgrade a flirt b335 camera than the information given above??

Thank you

Offline Maverick71

uestion
« Reply #6798 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:20 pm »
Hello,

I followed all instructions which I have found here for Hacking E4 Mod 1.2L 2.3.0.
On the end, after saving the Backup (2) files the Python patch gave me this:

* uploading common_dll.dll to .....
* failed (error_perm 550 ...

*attempt 2
*failed

*attempt 3
*failed

*attempt 4
*uploading conf.cfc to ...
* PLEASE HARD-REBOOT DEVICE

On reboot my Cursor was on the Top-Left side on the Screen.
The thermal resolution looks better.
Beside the cusror the E4 works like before.
I still have got 3 color palettes.

Question: How can I proove 100% both files was uploaded and the E4 is hacked?

Regards,
Mav
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:40:07 pm by Maverick71 »

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6799 on: March 28, 2015, 05:27:16 pm »
I rewrote Tomas123's flir.php for batch process and added some more functions. I will post new versions only here, as update.

daves I was playing around with BFIC 0.9o today and noticed a few things:

If you enter in a offset in the editor and add a max or min point the point actually goes in on the non-offset max or min point.

It crashes when it tries to open a FLIR image file that has been opened and modified/re-saved using FLIR Tools 5.1.15036.1001. (FLIR changed some EXIF info and Phil's EXIFTool have been updated to support it. I replaced your included exiftool it with an updated version and it no longer crashes so you may just need to include an updated one)

Also it would be nice to see the ability to output to PNG to minimize JPG artifacts like flir.php can. I know there will still be some with MSX/fusion/opacity due to the real embedded image being a JPG but the color scale and the thermal image could be more clear if they never go through a lossy JPG compression cycle and could improve image output.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf