Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769179 times)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7125 on: June 13, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »
@Solare,

No worries. FLIR are pretty sensitive about ANY changes to their basic E4. Even adding the facility that you request provides engineering access that they do not wish us to have. As they would say, the quality of the microbolometer fitted in the E4 is adequate for the stated resolution and sensitivity.

This is one of the unfortunate possibilities when upgrading an 80x60 E4 to higher specifications and removing the artificial noise that FLIR added.... you get to see the true nature of your particular hardware and not all are as good as we might wish. I am very sorry that yours is producing more noise than others. Just bad luck I feel. It is not my understanding that FLIR have deliberately degraded the microbolometers or noise figure, beyond that produced by their known noise generator.

It might also be of interest to the readership to hear that the E8 and higher spec Exx cameras all have the noise generator running and NOT set to zero. In the early days of the upgrade there was much discussion about this and some knowledgeable people suggested that some artificial noise was actually beneficial to the best operation of noise reduction algorithms ! I cannot say how FLIR's noise reduction works but it may be that they need the low level of noise that is present on most cameras.

For info, my noise generator is set to 5mK.

The Ex series cameras are fitted with a cost reduced microbolometer that made affordable thermal cameras possible. It was originally designed for the automotive industry, namely for VAG and BMW. The microbolometer was intended to provide night vision capability on these brands of car and to break new ground in construction techniques. Newer, cheaper, 'bare bones' wafer type microbolmeter formats were created and these were illuminated by cheaper GASIR lens elements. The microbolometer can be operated in a temperature stabilised of non temperature stabilised mode. In the E4 it is non-temperature stabilised and relies upon generic compensation tables centred on an ambient temperature of 30C.

Please see my post from long ago on the Autoliv camera system used in Audi and BMW cars. It is basically the same microbolometer and lens design as the E4. Mass production of the cost reduced camera core reduced the retail price.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/audi-automotive-thermal-imaging-night-vision-camera-teardown/msg331681/#msg331681

In short, the Ex series, and Exx series to a degree, are compromise solutions that enable thermal cameras to be sold at a price that FLIR considers much cheaper than their more expensive heavy duty industrial cameras. These compromises in the designs are well thought through and some clever techniques are used to disguise some of the issues that may exist. FLIR are past masters of image processing  ;)  FLIR do not want a low end thermal camera to effectively compete with sales of their higher end industrial units, that is a fact. The idea of their sub £1000 E4 camera being anywhere near as good as their £35000+ cameras is not something they ever want to see  ;D

That's enough for now  :)

Aurora
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:49:40 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7126 on: June 13, 2015, 02:15:59 pm »
@Aurora,

nice and detailed explanation, as always!

As for me, I have read most of the thread, so I am aware of many discussions, including those you've referred hereto.
But others would find this interesting, thank you!

Personally I believe that in no way possible the E4 either with good sensor or not, modified or unmodified, hacked or not hacked, may ever come close to the professional cameras with their closed loop temperature stabilized microbolometers, dry gas filled interiors and vacuum chamber that encapsulates the sensor, this is simply not to happen!

Also, in no way possible the tiny, small aperture, low optical power lens of the E4 may ever allow for quality anywhere nears the quality that large germanium optical systems may deliver.

And, single span 14-bit ADC will of course never compete with multiple switched spans and 16-bit multiple ADCs on the professional cameras.

So I disagree that 'Flir afraid of modified E4 would compete to professional cameras'.

On the other hand, consider this.

If there is a company which makes money from Thermography in any application, building, industrial, medical etc., it will by no means escape the necessity to provide customers with some sort of certification of the applied instruments and methods, which means, both the cameras and the employees that are using in, and also those, who interpret the results and prepare the reports, must be qualified, certified, approved etc., etc.

Otherwise, business buyers would never agree on how to interpret and reproduce and compare the results! That is, not the apparent quality, but standardization itself makes this industry running.

No way possible with any of altered cameras, needless to say! The altered cameras will show today this, tomorrow somewhat else, or one instance of the same altered camera type performs in a different way that the other instance.

So what on Earth the decision making personnel would do in such the situation? The associated costs invested into correcting the faults found with IR thermography, might be many orders of magnitude higher compared with cost of professional cameras and hence the risk of false positives and false negatives will outrage any 'apparent savings' when buying a cheaper camera with idea to modify it.

To summarize, what you've said is one point of view, the point of view of large companies, corporations, businesses etc.,

My point of view is different,

I believe that sub 1000 market lives and behaves in a cardinally different way than both the industrial or military market, and trying to play on this market with the attitude developed from the above two mentioned, is a mistake.

It's like with PCs, those competitors will win who will provide the most open and cheap platform with quality of the hardware BUT also with maximum configurability, which allows each buyer to get most of own camera the way he wants, and how much he will achieve, must only depend on own resourcefulness, knowledge, patience and experience invested!

Those who agree, vote up!     

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7127 on: June 13, 2015, 02:36:25 pm »
There was a post with web server files if this is what you mean, just copy them over to e4. See my post #6624 for a little enhancement of that package (the package itself was elsewhere prior to my that post)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7128 on: June 13, 2015, 02:46:08 pm »
@Bud

I did this, but Service menu of the pre-2.3.0 web-server doesn't seem to have working applets... I cannot measure noise in spatial and temporal, row and column values separately... cannot edit dead pixels... cases, etc., etc.

The telnet commands to which the script refers to, are still there but also, not effective. Maybe they removed some dlls as well. If you have those working web-applets for the 2.3.0, please contact me in PM.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7129 on: June 13, 2015, 02:49:19 pm »
@Solare,

You will see no disagreement from me against your thoughts on this. Sadly large companies with somewhat inflexible viewpoints are not uncommon, especially when it comes to modifications to their products. From their point of view, the 'hacker' community is not an entity that they wish to embrace or help. Their profits will come from selling many cameras with high profit margins. Start-up companies like SEEK Thermal are trying to introduce new affordable thermal imaging equipment, but even they have fallen short on the user community engagement front.

I am very lucky to have a collection of industrial thermal cameras but it is very telling that I reach for my upgraded E4 most often when wanting to do a quick check. For the money it is still a very nice piece of kit. The use of auxiliary close-up lenses adds to its versatility as well. I understand your disappointment with the noise levels that you are finding with your E4 though. If I were to be doing some serious thermal survey work on a PCB, or a more demanding scenario, I would set up either my PM695 or SC3000 though.I would trust them to provide very accurate results with decent image quality. The associated PC software is also designed for inspection and research activities as well. FLIR TOOLS+ is not in the same league. But then they should be for the price charged  :o

Aurora

Offline nacke

• Contributor
« Reply #7130 on: June 14, 2015, 03:39:04 pm »
Umm, what could be my problem with e8.cfg? I have E4 (1.19.8 FW) updated to E8, and now installed Taucher's beta3 menus which worked great. To get that zoom option I edited e8.cfg with Notepad++ (only one CRLF at the end etc.), and run 'CRC01 e8.cfg' with CRC01.exe from original hack, and inserted new CRC01 to e8.cfg.

Camera didn't like this new e8-file, at first it gave some appcore error message and after second boot it started with 80*60 ir resolution and some menus were lost. I tried to generate CRC01 again, and the result was the same. I uploaded original e8.cfg to restore the camera, and it worked again. I tried Taucher's EzCRC01.exe too, but it just gives MSVCP110.dll error.

Taucher's mod is very nice btw :)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7131 on: June 15, 2015, 09:25:47 am »
OT

I see that a faulty Milcam sold on ebay recently. I used to use such so was sad to miss out on it. But I would be interested to hear from the buyer if they are a fellow member of this forum. The Milcam is a Stirling cooled camera so does have the issues associated with mechanical coolers but I still like teh camera when using it. If the new owner reads this and is interested in selling the unit in the future, I would like to hear from him/her  ;)

Auction was here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLIR-INFRAMETRICS-1-8-9-0-P-N-09980-200-56889-THERMAL-CAMERA-/331568944241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d330c9471&nma=true&si=6F%252F1D4DGGHvo3WKYQV4KD39%252FLLA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Aurora

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7132 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:44 am »
OT

I see that a faulty Milcam sold on ebay recently. I used to use such so was sad to miss out on it. But I would be interested to hear from the buyer if they are a fellow member of this forum. The Milcam is a Stirling cooled camera so does have the issues associated with mechanical coolers but I still like teh camera when using it. If the new owner reads this and is interested in selling the unit in the future, I would like to hear from him/her  ;)

Auction was here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLIR-INFRAMETRICS-1-8-9-0-P-N-09980-200-56889-THERMAL-CAMERA-/331568944241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d330c9471&nma=true&si=6F%252F1D4DGGHvo3WKYQV4KD39%252FLLA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Aurora
Ah that's a shame, I didn't even see it listed and I normally have reminders setup for that sort of thing! Must have been a very quick sale!

Other that it being Stirling cooled, is there anything special about it? Can't find much spec-wise for it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7133 on: June 15, 2015, 10:28:15 am »
@Chanc3

The MILCAM is a weird piece of kit. It looks like some sort of universal metal module that then has different lenses and user controls 'bolted' on. The one I used had a small wide angle lens with manual focus and a Sony camcorder battery pod bolted to the side. The only controls were : on/off, manual dead pixel detection (requiring a lens cap to be fitted), brightness and contrast controls. A CRT based viewfinder was grafted to the top of the case. The image output via the viewfinder or NTSC composite video port is monochrome only, and no colour translation is available on board. It is very much an observation tool and not a Radiometric thermal camera. The cooled sensor array provides a low noise image but that is about all that makes it better than a conventional microbolometer camera really.

It looked to be designed for harsh environments and was very rugged. Not the most friendly design or shape for handheld use. The name MILCAM provides a hint at the cameras intended end user  ;D It was sold for rugged applications in the Military but was not a dedicated military product and found its way into civilian applications as well. It does have the military type of eyepiece fitted though. For those unaware, a military eyepiece contains an rubber iris that only opens when the users eye is pressed against the large eye cup. This avoids snipers seeing the glow from the CRT and sending a 7.62mm bullet through your illuminated eye  :o  That's military sniper countermeasures in action  :)

Why would I want such a camera ? Well. sentimental reasons really. The Stirling cooler is a bit of a liability as these cameras are at least 20 years old and unless recently rebuilt, the cooler will be pretty tired and likely in need of a re-gas. This is why I do not recommend Stirling Cooled cameras to people unless they are willing to accept a short remaining life, unlike most microbolometer cameras that have a long life ahead of them, even if 15+ years old. The lenses are often coated for SW rather than LW so they cannot be used with a microbolometer LW camera core. IIRC the Minicam is a SW camera so this issue applies to its lenses. For those unaware, a lens AR coated fro SW looks like a mirroe to a LW thermal camera core and very little can be seen through it due to massive attenuation of the LW energy. I have proven this in practice with a SW lens.

Even £350 is a lot of money if the camera becomes a paperweight soon after purchase. My FLIR SC3000 is running on borrowed time as that is around 15 years old. You cannot predict when they will fail either.

I wondered if you had bought the camera as I know you also have a keen interest in  thermal cameras .

I will be working through my thermal camera collection shortly, and if I have any that need a new home, I will let you know. IIRC I now own over 36 thermal cameras of various technologies and ages  ;D

Best Wishes

Fraser (Aurora)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:41:09 am by Aurora »

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7134 on: June 15, 2015, 03:00:10 pm »
@All,

I think I am fond of custom palettes for the E4 :) like those listed in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=97182;image

Anybody succeed so far of adding custom palettes to the default list?
Any idea, how to do that?

Thank you!

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7135 on: June 15, 2015, 03:28:04 pm »
@Chanc3

The MILCAM is a weird piece of kit. It looks like some sort of universal metal module that then has different lenses and user controls 'bolted' on. The one I used had a small wide angle lens with manual focus and a Sony camcorder battery pod bolted to the side. The only controls were : on/off, manual dead pixel detection (requiring a lens cap to be fitted), brightness and contrast controls. A CRT based viewfinder was grafted to the top of the case. The image output via the viewfinder or NTSC composite video port is monochrome only, and no colour translation is available on board. It is very much an observation tool and not a Radiometric thermal camera. The cooled sensor array provides a low noise image but that is about all that makes it better than a conventional microbolometer camera really.

It looked to be designed for harsh environments and was very rugged. Not the most friendly design or shape for handheld use. The name MILCAM provides a hint at the cameras intended end user  ;D It was sold for rugged applications in the Military but was not a dedicated military product and found its way into civilian applications as well. It does have the military type of eyepiece fitted though. For those unaware, a military eyepiece contains an rubber iris that only opens when the users eye is pressed against the large eye cup. This avoids snipers seeing the glow from the CRT and sending a 7.62mm bullet through your illuminated eye  :o  That's military sniper countermeasures in action  :)

Why would I want such a camera ? Well. sentimental reasons really. The Stirling cooler is a bit of a liability as these cameras are at least 20 years old and unless recently rebuilt, the cooler will be pretty tired and likely in need of a re-gas. This is why I do not recommend Stirling Cooled cameras to people unless they are willing to accept a short remaining life, unlike most microbolometer cameras that have a long life ahead of them, even if 15+ years old. The lenses are often coated for SW rather than LW so they cannot be used with a microbolometer LW camera core. IIRC the Minicam is a SW camera so this issue applies to its lenses. For those unaware, a lens AR coated fro SW looks like a mirroe to a LW thermal camera core and very little can be seen through it due to massive attenuation of the LW energy. I have proven this in practice with a SW lens.

Even £350 is a lot of money if the camera becomes a paperweight soon after purchase. My FLIR SC3000 is running on borrowed time as that is around 15 years old. You cannot predict when they will fail either.

I wondered if you had bought the camera as I know you also have a keen interest in  thermal cameras .

I will be working through my thermal camera collection shortly, and if I have any that need a new home, I will let you know. IIRC I now own over 36 thermal cameras of various technologies and ages  ;D

Best Wishes

Fraser (Aurora)
Alas I did not win/buy it! But I am always on the lookout for older cameras as they are a great way of demonstrating how far the technology has moved (size-wise, not technology-wise).

I've never had the chance to dabble with SW or even MW cameras, however I am looking to get my hands on one if any do crop up.

In the meantime, I'm still playing around with an SC640 (not much I can do with this one), A655sc (working on a time-lapse with this), a T620 1st gen (trying to work out how to calibrate the PIP with 25° lens as it came with a 45°) and a B400 (again, same alignment issues with 45° and 6° lenses).

A company called iRed (www.ired.co.uk) have a good palette generator on their website, which I'm still trying to add a custom palette to an E60, but it's proving difficult. Will post back if I have any joy and will see if it can be replicated on an Ex camera.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7136 on: June 15, 2015, 03:54:24 pm »
Thank you,

really, palettes of the doctored E4 are not that bad at all! However, there are applications when custom palettes are preferred. Of course, I can always use the elsewhere mentioned script to convert a palette from picture to the *.pal format, and rename it to default iron.pal and here I have it.

However, I would like to have several additional palettes on a constant basis, and for this I think I need to add some symbols to the facet.rcc and conf.cfc and maybe z3.xml... but I am still at the very beginning of the Way so please those who are ahead of me and succeed with adding a custom palette to the E4, raise your voice!  :blah:

Rds.

P.S.:

@Chanc3

I didn't find any palette generator on this web-site...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:30:10 pm by Solare »

Offline nacke

• Contributor
« Reply #7137 on: June 16, 2015, 02:24:36 pm »
Camera didn't like this new e8-file, at first it gave some appcore error message and after second boot it started with 80*60 ir resolution and some menus were lost. I tried to generate CRC01 again, and the result was the same. I uploaded original e8.cfg to restore the camera, and it worked again. I tried Taucher's EzCRC01.exe too, but it just gives MSVCP110.dll error.

Okay, now I have zoom :) I tried EzCRC01.exe on another windows pc and it worked. It showed that I made error with e8.cfg at first, there should be no CRC in the file when running CRC-generator on it. Someone could add to the instructions that the end of the e8.cfg file should be in form

# ID xxxxxxxx
# CRC01

to get the correct CRC.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:19:37 pm by nacke »

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7138 on: June 16, 2015, 03:27:19 pm »
Thank you,

really, palettes of the doctored E4 are not that bad at all! However, there are applications when custom palettes are preferred. Of course, I can always use the elsewhere mentioned script to convert a palette from picture to the *.pal format, and rename it to default iron.pal and here I have it.

However, I would like to have several additional palettes on a constant basis, and for this I think I need to add some symbols to the facet.rcc and conf.cfc and maybe z3.xml... but I am still at the very beginning of the Way so please those who are ahead of me and succeed with adding a custom palette to the E4, raise your voice!  :blah:

Rds.

P.S.:

@Chanc3

I didn't find any palette generator on this web-site...
It's not obvious, but the link is in the footer "Palette Generator". I'll post a link on Thursdays, as I'm currently in the sun in Portugal :)

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7139 on: June 16, 2015, 04:50:05 pm »
OT

Auction was here:

Is that... does that say 1.8 to 9-degree FOV zoom:o

I would love to have a system with that kind of narrow FOV, especially with adjustable focus; having zoom would make it a lot easier to use (find your subject at the "wide" end and then zoom in). I don't have a specific application, but I'm thinking about things like investigating birds (esp. hummingbirds) and insects. But I'm definitely not up to rehabilitating and maintaining a Stirling system.

Yeah, I've got applications in mind to take advantage of the next thirty or so years of TIC progress...  ::)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7140 on: June 16, 2015, 06:26:24 pm »
@jeffb,

IIRC the zoom is two FOV's 1.8 OR 9 Degrees. As stated however the issue will be that it is a Shortwave lens and it will also only have the stated FOV when matched to the dimensions of the Milcam's cooled sensor.

The lens is an objective and not an auxiliary type so cannot just be placed in front of a thermal cameras fixed objective. It is designed to illuminate the detector directly.

Rebuilding a TIC Stirling Cooler requires very specialist equipment that is not normally available to hobbyists. Precision parts need to be replaced, such as the piston, cylinder liner, all seals and then there is the high purity Hydrogen gas fill at some horrendous pressure  :scared:

Aurora

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7141 on: June 16, 2015, 07:17:06 pm »
Call of Duty to all Palette Lovers!

I managed to create *.pal files with the know script from prepared *.lut palettes edited in Photoshop. So far so good.

I would like to try those in FlirTool but, I didn't find any palette folder  :o

Since I am still away on business trip, I cannot just download them to my E4.

But the Problem is open, so I call for everybody's help to solve it:

How do we add custom palettes permanently?

Thanks all replying...

Offline FredB

• Contributor
« Reply #7142 on: June 17, 2015, 06:21:05 pm »
@Solare

C:\ProgramData\Flir Systems\Palettes

You can put new palettes in this folder. It works in Flirtools.
I did it already with some other palettes I found on www.

Succes!  :)

Offline SWAGGYD

• Contributor
« Reply #7143 on: June 18, 2015, 05:34:11 am »
OT

Auction was here:

Aurora

Hi
Aurora I won this aukction (MILCAM). I send You PM.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7144 on: June 18, 2015, 06:43:35 am »
@FredB

Thank you!

However, I didn't find the Path:

C:\ProgramData

I use WindowsXP SP3 for works with the E4, so I only have C:\Program Files.

There is C:\Program Files\Flir systems folders, but there is no 'Palettes' folder in it (I use Flir Tools v. 4.1 I believe)

I have created the 'Palettes' folders and put my created palette into it, but it still doesn't appear in the Palettes list on the menu of Flir Tools...

suggestions?

Offline et328

• Contributor
« Reply #7145 on: June 18, 2015, 06:48:23 am »
suggestions?
Search under this folder: Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7146 on: June 18, 2015, 09:32:24 am »
Thank you! It worked!

So how to set this palette on E4 permanently, that is the question...!

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #7147 on: June 18, 2015, 06:26:02 pm »
I dont' know how system in Flir E4 works, but I'm guessing if you replaced the file "not_usefull_palette.png" with your palette with the same filename it should do the trick. ;)
It's true that this way you won't be adding new palette but replacing existing one might fulfil your needs?

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7148 on: June 18, 2015, 06:54:52 pm »
No, I want them in four rows  :-DD

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7149 on: June 19, 2015, 07:37:15 pm »
So I may just have bought 5x E5s off eBay for a total of £500... Tbh, I doubt it's legit but PayPal has my back. They're coming from China so I'm expecting a brick in a box!

If they all do miraculously turn up, who wants a cheap E5?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf