Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3761343 times)

Offline nightsquint

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7300 on: September 18, 2015, 01:19:02 pm »
Completely agree with you Fraser...those resuscitation & slapping were meant as a joke  :-DD (reminds me of analog pressure gauges)
I wonder whether dead pixels are inevitable defects during production, not to mention new dead pixels spring up during the course of the detector's lifetime...
Anyway, I'm extremely happy with my E4 and now trying to figure out how to video stream via RNDIS without lugging a notebook & running Flirtool.
Earlier in this thread someone mentioned using rasberry pi of some sorts...I guess I better start digging...

Cheers   :)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7301 on: September 18, 2015, 02:31:15 pm »
@nightsquint.

You were only joking.... :phew: You would be amazed at how many times someone has brought a piece of equipment to me for repair and said that they had given it a good shake and thump yet it was still faulty  :o

Dead pixels are a production defect, but an acceptable one. Digital cameras also have defects in their CCD or CMOS arrays. They are also dealt with using a dead pixel map and correction algorithms. New dead pixels can appear over time but the dead pixel map can be updated to capture them. The microbolometer is pretty reliable which is why FLIR give you a 10 year warranty on that component. I have only one camera out my collection of 42 that has new dead pixels. It is my TESTO 880 and that has 3 visible dead pixels on its Amorphous Silicon array. I would not worry too much about issues with the FLIR VOX microbolometer. It is decent quality.

The E4 is an amazing little camera I hope you get much use and enjoyment from it.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7302 on: September 18, 2015, 02:49:48 pm »
Hi all!

Sorry for being absent for so long, had reasons.

About your new camera's dead pixels.

If the calibration procedure is performed well, there should not be any dead pixel 'visible' normally, even after applying the hack.
I mean, they are there, but not visible because they are interpolated according the dead pixel map!

So if the pixels you can see are dead and visible normally after applying the hack, something is definitely wrong with your dead pixel map file!

I would apply for a replacement in such the case.

However, if you manually removed the dead pixel map file or switched this dead pixels interpolation function off, then you can see actual dead pixels for your camera.

So a question to you: how exactly you made the pixels visible, or they are visible after the hack?

thank you!

Offline nightsquint

« Reply #7303 on: September 18, 2015, 03:37:50 pm »
@Fraser,

Thanks for the insights. But really, in this day & age, I would've thought microbolometer productions have reached that stage with no dead pixels although microbolometers are technically more difficult (hence more costly than CCD / CMOS) to produce due to the technology involved. Guess we're not there yet.

@Solare,

Yes you were right. I did turn off the dead pixel masking through telnet, just to take a peek inside the naked detector for flaws ;D
With the mask on, it's picture perfect (no visible dead pixels).

Cheers  :)

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7304 on: September 18, 2015, 04:33:01 pm »
aha,

I thought you did this :)

Which command do you use for this check?

Offline nightsquint

« Reply #7305 on: September 18, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »
@Solare,

Something like...rset .???CombGainDeadMap??? Either set to false or true to show or hide dead pixels.
Sorry I do not remember as I am away from my computer now.
But I found it on this thread, way back then.

Offline marcins

« Reply #7306 on: September 19, 2015, 11:50:07 pm »
Thx for all to make this Hack Possible

all works great ;)

Offline murcielago

• Contributor
« Reply #7307 on: September 20, 2015, 12:16:56 pm »
I found a flir E30 but the firmware version is much older than the one campos posted.

would it still work?

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor

Offline lou

Flir E5 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7309 on: September 22, 2015, 02:20:55 am »
Hello,
 I have an E5 and would like to to improve the resolution. Fubar suggested I search this thread for the correct files and method.  To Quote" For your E5 you’ll have to follow the relevant guide in the EEVblog forum."  I have searched and not been successful to this point. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?  He said that his method for the E4 will not work because some files are different. 

Thanks, Lou

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7310 on: September 22, 2015, 02:41:26 am »
This post claimed support for E5

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg534297/#msg534297

You may need to investigate further what exactly that was about
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7311 on: September 25, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »
For those who want to realign MSX - there's an easier way to do it without needing to reverse engineer the FLIR file format  :-+
You can also use it to add MSX to pictures from cameras without MSX (ie. Therm-App converted images)

What you need:
  • Microsoft Word
  • FLIR Tools Plus

1. In FLIR Tools, activate the FLIR Tools Plus trial (if you need more time for your trial, there's a painfully obvious way to defeat the 30day limit). Make sure that Word Reporting is activated (press "i" under license options).

2. In Word, open the FLIR Tools+ tab and press "IR Viewer"

3. Right click -> Open and open your Radiometric JPEG. Then, select "Image Fusion"

4. Press "Open Photo" to use a alternative photo or to load your own one for a non-MSX camera. Otherwise, it's obvious from here.

Make sure your alignpoints are spread evenly across the image for the most optimal alignment. (I know mine are not spread out. Do as I say, not as I do.)

5. You can press "Reference Point X" buttons to zoom in.

6. Right-click -> Save As to save a Radiometric JPG with your new alignment data built in. This can be opened in FLIR Tools.

7. Volia! You just aligned your MSX / added MSX to a non-MSX image!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:36:09 pm by encryptededdy »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7312 on: September 25, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »
A good hint.
I forgot to mention this feature of the word plugin.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7313 on: September 26, 2015, 04:13:38 pm »
We know, how to remove the flir logo in the E4 images.

But by using Flir Tools we get the flir logo back.

After using mediaextract (http://panzi.github.io/mediaextract/ ) I'm sure, that the logo is a PNG Byte sequence in the dll
C:\Program Files\FLIR Systems\FLIR Tools\bin\Flir.Modules.Common.dll

Code: [Select]
>build-win32\mediaextract.exe --formats=image "C:\Program Files\FLIR Systems\FLIR Tools\bin\Flir.Modules.Common.dll"
Extracting 0x00000000 ... 0x001a6120 (1.64871 MB) from C:\Program Files\FLIR Systems\FLIR Tools\bin\Flir.Modules.Common.dll
Writing 16.7119 kB to .\Flir.Modules.Common.dll_0017bf29.png
Extracted 1 file of 16.7119 kB size.

$ identify  Flir.Modules.Common.dll_0017bf29.png
Flir.Modules.Common.dll_0017bf29.png PNG 1029x353 1029x353+0+0 8-bit sRGB 17.1KB 0.000u 0:00.000

as attachment the extracted file

Anybody knows, how to replace the embedded logo png in the dll with a transparent image of same pixel size (but smaller file size).
Code: [Select]
$ convert -size 1029x353 xc:none 1029x353.png
A simple binary search and replace doesn't work (after then I have the same dll size but wrong dll checksum??)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:34:01 am by tomas123 »

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7314 on: September 30, 2015, 12:35:19 pm »
Hello, wanted to ask a quick question. My mate is interested in buying  a thermal camera.
Salesman was talking up the C2 pocket one. I keep suggesting e4 for hackability. Anyone tried hacking C2? i assume same/similar hardware/firmware?

Also for streaming to pc, is flirtool adequate, etc.

Keysight have a thermal camera, but not sure who makes that one.

Cheers.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7315 on: September 30, 2015, 03:38:44 pm »
C2 is only 80x60 resolution and so limited for detail work. The E4 is a completely different beast. Far superior in all respects, even at its native 80x60 resolution. The fact that is may be changed to 320x240 resolution makes it the best value complete thermal imaging camera available today. The Thermal App also appears to be a decent camera but you have to use it with a host phone so is not IMHO as ergonomic. I own 42 thermal cameras, most are professional Industrial models, but I would not be without my little E4. It  is a very nice camera, and very convenient to have around.

Fraser

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7316 on: October 01, 2015, 01:36:34 am »
Hello, wanted to ask a quick question. My mate is interested in buying  a thermal camera.
Salesman was talking up the C2 pocket one. I keep suggesting e4 for hackability. Anyone tried hacking C2? i assume same/similar hardware/firmware?

Also for streaming to pc, is flirtool adequate, etc.

Keysight have a thermal camera, but not sure who makes that one.

Cheers.
C2 uses the lepton sensor, so the sensor is natively 80x60, and therefore cannot be hacked.

What is your mate going to use it for?

Depending on your budget, it may be worth considering a E40 or a used/refurb E30 or E40 - they can be hacked to E60 spec for the same if not better image quality than the Therm-App, manual focus and also the ergonomics and durability of the E4.

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7317 on: October 01, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »
I made a universal holder for the lens. You can put a macro lens and a zoom lens. Holders of Series Flir E are slightly different from the holders of the series I .

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7318 on: October 01, 2015, 02:34:36 pm »
Nice work, as ever, Uho

Fraser

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7319 on: October 01, 2015, 06:40:02 pm »
More photos holders. Made of ABS.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7320 on: October 05, 2015, 06:39:08 am »
Finally found info on the Lens in the FLIR E4/5/6/8. I've searched before and all of the datasheets neglect to mention the f/stop of the lens. Luckily this document does.

The lens is f/1.5 - this explains the relatively bad performance at low temperature differentials, but also a very nice hyperfocal distance (amount of distance that's in focus at one time, allowing for the "focus-free" operation) and also the ability to view high temperatures without switching to a low-gain mode or adding a mechanical high temp filter.

Compared with the f/1.3 lenses on the Exx series, this means that the Ex series lens has 75% of the IR transmission of the Exx series based on f-stop alone. However the chalcogenide glass used in the Ex lens may also have different transmission properties compared to the germanium lens in the Exx series.

Offline Detsorgsekalf

« Reply #7321 on: October 05, 2015, 12:43:47 pm »
Greetings
Can you tell me how to remove FLIR logo and other staff from thermal images in jpeg?
I use Flir i3 (with i7 hack).
Thank you
Yauheni (from Belarus)

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7322 on: October 06, 2015, 11:25:38 am »
Hello quick question, can the flir tools do video or time lapse? to see which parts heatup, how long etc.

Offline pelule

• Frequent Contributor
  • What is business? It’s other people’s money
« Reply #7323 on: October 06, 2015, 12:39:50 pm »
Just a short update.
Have upgradet my Flir-I3 to Flir-I7 on Win-7/64-Bit without any problem.  :-+
You will learn something new every single day

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7324 on: October 06, 2015, 10:37:21 pm »
Hello quick question, can the flir tools do video or time lapse? to see which parts heatup, how long etc.
FLIR Tools supports radiometric video, however I don't know how you can capture it from the E4. There's another thread around here about streaming raw data from the E4, however I don't think anyone has gotten that into the FLIR .seq (sequence / video) file format yet.

Here's a example that I made of what you can do;
https://youtu.be/AtyIH_8M808

If you want live radiometric video streaming and recording, then perhaps consider paying a bit more for a E30 or E40 (then hacking to E60), as those natively support radiometric video streaming over USB to FLIR Tools.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf