Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769674 times)

TopLoser and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7725 on: March 05, 2016, 12:22:29 am »
no problems so far

just wait...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7726 on: March 05, 2016, 07:04:05 am »
Flir is baking new firmware revisions like crazy...
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7727 on: March 05, 2016, 11:10:27 am »
Flir is baking new firmware revisions like crazy...
You have to wonder why, considering how long this product has been around....
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7728 on: March 05, 2016, 02:07:32 pm »
FLIR use a common base firmware that it then configures for specific models of camera. They continue to develop the base firmware and roll it out across the current camera models. Good investment in their product range IMHO.

This was why the E4 was capable of exceeding the capabilities of the E8. It includes features from the Exx series.

Interestingly, I have not seen any new firmware for the F1G2. Maybe because it's firmware is specific to it, so the return on investment in firmware development is lower.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7729 on: March 05, 2016, 04:34:34 pm »
The firmware of F1G2 is only a "simply" lepton2usb wrapper.
The major part of Flir know how is shifted to the Flir One App.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7730 on: March 05, 2016, 05:59:38 pm »
@Tomas123

Ah yes I see the difference.

Sadly the only way forward on the F1G2 APP front is with third party solutions as FLIR have hobbled the performance deliberately, so will not be improving it any time soon.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline newbster

« Reply #7731 on: March 05, 2016, 09:16:45 pm »
Hi all I downgraded to firmware 2.3 and then successfully increased the resolution.  However when I tried to connect to the FTP server to perform the menu hack the IP address was no longer the same.  It appears to have switched to the default 169.245.167.x address. With this new IP address I can ping and switch between the set_permanent_RNIDS/remove_RNIDS fif files with no problem but when I try to connect to the FTP server I receive Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

Any ideas why it switched to 169.245.167.x after increasing the resolution and how to connect to the FTP server?

Thanks!

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7732 on: March 06, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »
2newbster:

...and your camera initial firmware was?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #7733 on: March 08, 2016, 12:56:25 pm »
Hi friends! I have Flir E4 full hacked. Flir Tools suggests to update a firmware to version 2.11.0. Somebody knows an updating essence?

NTARS - Never Touch A Running System!  ^-^

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7734 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:31 pm »
Hi friends! I have Flir E4 full hacked. Flir Tools suggests to update a firmware to version 2.11.0. Somebody knows an updating essence?

NTARS - Never Touch A Running System!  ^-^
But 2.11 upgrades the thermal image to 32,000x24,000!!!  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7735 on: March 08, 2016, 08:57:06 pm »
320,000 x 240,000 ... wavelengths :)

Offline dlp

« Reply #7736 on: March 12, 2016, 07:25:13 am »
Hello
I just boguht a new unit that has firmware V2.11.0.

Can this be downgraded to perform the hack?

TIA
Yes, I just purchased a Flir E4, came with 2.11.00, downgraded to 2.3 and performed the hack with no problems.

I can't even get close to downgrading the firmware to 2.3. My flir tools won't allow me access to the embedded files in my camera. When I check for updates in flir tools the camera doesn't even show as connected.

I have windows 7 64bit. Also tried it on a 32bit xp machine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7737 on: March 12, 2016, 07:32:09 am »
Hello
I just boguht a new unit that has firmware V2.11.0.

Can this be downgraded to perform the hack?

TIA
Yes, I just purchased a Flir E4, came with 2.11.00, downgraded to 2.3 and performed the hack with no problems.

I can't even get close to downgrading the firmware to 2.3. My flir tools won't allow me access to the embedded files in my camera. When I check for updates in flir tools the camera doesn't even show as connected.

I have windows 7 64bit. Also tried it on a 32bit xp machine.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Do you have the FLIR device drivers installed?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7738 on: March 17, 2016, 04:06:36 am »
Flir tools is trash and is hit or miss. I tried upgrading my flir tools the other day and it was telling me that I had to uncheck Flir Word reporting as only 32bit versions of word is supported... I was never given the option to check or uncheck anything.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7739 on: March 17, 2016, 07:25:50 am »
Flir tools is trash and is hit or miss. I tried upgrading my flir tools the other day and it was telling me that I had to uncheck Flir Word reporting as only 32bit versions of word is supported... I was never given the option to check or uncheck anything.
There is an options tab on the first dialogue page, click that and it's all in there. If you have issues with the reporting element you need to uninstall first.

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7740 on: March 21, 2016, 07:48:03 am »
There is an options tab on the first dialogue page, click that and it's all in there. If you have issues with the reporting element you need to uninstall first.
Uninstalled the entire program, and then tried reinstalling it but it kept giving me that WORD error. I know someone else that had the same problem.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7741 on: March 21, 2016, 07:58:36 am »
I'll send you a link to a special removal program they released for this problem. Are you using 5.5.?

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7742 on: March 22, 2016, 12:13:33 am »
I'll send you a link to a special removal program they released for this problem. Are you using 5.5.?

Yes

Offline yzman

« Reply #7743 on: March 22, 2016, 01:57:40 am »
Hi Everyone ! New here myself and wanted to start by saying thanks for all your great input on the E4 it is very much appreciated :)

For anyone trying to downgrade from 2.11 (I assume this applies to 2.8 also) and are having the the issue where "flir tools upgrade window" appears and not the e4 firmware upgrade window, the following worked for me. I installed 4.1.14xxxxxxx which is the xp version still available on the flir website. I used windows 7 home premium 32 bit edition. Follow this path:
Start/all programs/FLIR Systems/"right click" on FLIR tools/properties/Compatibility tab/check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" choose "Windows xp (Service Pack)" also check "Run this program as administrator". Click "Apply and then Click "Ok"

Next follow MATMOE's instructions and everything should work. It worked for me, I successfully downgraded 2.11 to 2.3   e4 1.2L s/n 6397xxxx

This may work for other versions of windows. I did test on Windows 10 pro 64 bit I got the menu to appear but never tested the firmware downgrade because I am too afraid lol best to leave well enough alone haha.

Using windows 10 follow path: windows symbol(start menu)/All Apps/Flir Systems folder/right click on "Flir Tools icon"/"more"/"open file location"/right click on "Flir Tools icon"/Compatibility tab/ check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" choose "Windows xp (Service Pack)" also check "Run this program as administrator". Click "Apply and then Click "Ok"

I can't speak to whether the firmware downgrade will work on other versions of windows other than win 7 home prem 32 bit but the above should get you to the point where you can actually attempt it.

I would also like to add that my camera does the same amount of calibrating before the downgrade as it does after, nothing seems to have been affected by the the downgrade as far as I can tell.

Regards,

Offline yzman

« Reply #7744 on: March 22, 2016, 03:07:18 am »
That should read "service pack 3" for both instances

Offline snk_pl

« Reply #7745 on: March 28, 2016, 07:13:32 pm »
Hello all,
I got i3 mk1. with newest firmware 4.3.2. I had no problem to upgrade to i7 120x120pix. I found on flir site second firmware (I think for mk2) version 6.5.3.

Of course I got error that is not Ix and so on. In install package there is a cmd file and can be modified to ignore version check. I am too scared of bricking system so don't want to force installation. I only tried to switch fpga_isc0601_120x120_c16.bin file and bricked system ;) got only green screen no gui loading. After hard evening I manage to copy backup file and it is working back at 120x120.

I have 2 questions

1) Is there a hardware difference in mk1 and mk2. Anyone got teardown photo of PCB?
2) Is there a checksum for fpga bin, like in appkit.rev to copy also? (this a could try but then a checksum for appkit.rev itself)

I know i'm newbie on forum, but didn't have to write anything before so I was unregister.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7746 on: March 29, 2016, 06:20:23 am »
This is E4 thread , perhaps you could start a new thread.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline snk_pl

« Reply #7747 on: March 29, 2016, 06:46:07 am »
There are quite few posts about iX in this thread, also iXX posts and eXX posts so besides this thread is about E4 teardown it has info about majority of flir upgradeable cameras

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7748 on: March 29, 2016, 06:53:34 am »
Hello all,
I got i3 mk1. with newest firmware 4.3.2. I had no problem to upgrade to i7 120x120pix. I found on flir site second firmware (I think for mk2) version 6.5.3.

Of course I got error that is not Ix and so on. In install package there is a cmd file and can be modified to ignore version check. I am too scared of bricking system so don't want to force installation. I only tried to switch fpga_isc0601_120x120_c16.bin file and bricked system ;) got only green screen no gui loading. After hard evening I manage to copy backup file and it is working back at 120x120.

I have 2 questions

1) Is there a hardware difference in mk1 and mk2. Anyone got teardown photo of PCB?
2) Is there a checksum for fpga bin, like in appkit.rev to copy also? (this a could try but then a checksum for appkit.rev itself)

I know i'm newbie on forum, but didn't have to write anything before so I was unregister.
Did you just replace the firmware with i7 version? All you need to do is modify the conf.cfg and gui.cfg files!

Offline snk_pl

« Reply #7749 on: March 29, 2016, 07:55:43 am »
Hello all,

I have 2 questions

Did you just replace the firmware with i7 version? All you need to do is modify the conf.cfg and gui.cfg files!

Yes, I know. I have no problem going from 60x60 to 120x120. I'm trying next step to go from i7mk1 (120x120) to i7mk2 (140x140) that's why I ask about hardware diffrence. My sensor is isc0601 so I got 320x240 hardware. Limiting factor is FPGA binary but as i try to change it, FPGA stop boot. That's why I not convince if full firmware change to mk2 could brick mk1 model if mk2 fpga bin brick FPGA mk1.

Got windows? ;)  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:06:04 am by snk_pl »

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf