Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436290 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2017, 07:29:29 am »
Make sure to copy/replace ui_control.rsc
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2017, 12:52:24 pm »
Make sure to copy/replace ui_control.rsc

ui_control.rsc was in its place at "FlashBFS/system/appcore.d/factory.d/", but there was another ui_control.rst at  "FlashFS/system/appcore.d/factory.d/".
Apparently a leftover from a previous hacking attempt, after deleting the latter one, everything is fine. I've received the camera with FW 2.3.0 installed on HW 2.0L, as far as I read all the posts here, this can't be the state this camera left the factory, it's also quite new (last calibrated in March 2017). So I guess there's been a non successful attempt to hack it, don't know if the file was transferred by me to the wrong place or has been there before. Anyway, it's working now, I'm waiting for your extended package.
Thanks again, Bud!

Edit: I've reset USB to default and RNDIS access works now best in the way you describe as "Recovery procedure". No password required / any password works. Way more files are accessible through FTP now, no need to stop the app. My Win7 laptop appears to lesser fool me with IP addresses in this mode, the camera comes up more reliably with 192.168.0.2

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:57:45 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2017, 01:42:22 pm »
That is great. Did not know they dropped password. I think you were lucky the downgrade the previous owner performed did not cause (apparent) problems.

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2017, 01:50:42 pm »
Found a bug with WiFi on liberated 2.0L 3.9.0 (may be the case with stock device as well)

When you connect the device to wifi, they take it to another location and try to connect it to another SSID, the interface will flash a message that it could not connect to the previous SSID and it will freeze before being able to enter your wifi password and only way to continue is remove battery or hold power button for 5 seconds.
Only way I found to get around it is turn wifi off, then back on and select the new SSID.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:52:29 pm by CABNY »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: November 01, 2017, 02:41:37 pm »
Not sure i understand the "..they take it to another location" part but do not see how it may have anything to do with the change. What would be steps way to reproduce the issue?

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #230 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:19 pm »
What I did was join wifi at my office, then went home, tried to join wifi there and before I was able to enter the password after selecting the SSID, a pop-up that it couldn't connect to my office wifi and screen froze up.  This happened again even after removing and re-inserting the battery.

I'm going to try joining my office wifi again tonight and see if it happens again the other way around.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #231 on: November 01, 2017, 06:23:43 pm »
Sounds like a bug in wifi implementation. Turning wifi off before joining a different network makes sense.

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #232 on: November 01, 2017, 07:29:02 pm »
For any other noobs like me, I offer this useful article:
http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/
So far it has helped me to switch to RNDIS mode, use Filezilla with the username Flir and password 3vlig, and backup the Flir E4 files. Obviously those simple steps apply to all firmwares, so at what step does the process become different for 3.9.0? I am hesitant to proceed lest this article be outdated.

Sam, did you follow the procedure from this link up to (and not including) the part "6. Script pack"?
(Including using the device drivers in their link, FlirTools v. 4.1 and Pyton 2.7.9?) (As recommended by Bud, we should use the FLIRfif from another package..)

And then continuing with "Switching camera to RNDIS mode"?

I'm new to this stuff and stuggling a bit..
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:38:02 pm by Squawk »

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #233 on: November 01, 2017, 08:48:18 pm »
I was being dumb, but at least I've learnt about the command line now.
The CFC has been created, now that I put C:\ and all that jazz before the file name. Of course the computer didn't know where to find the file because I didn't put its location. That is programming 101, I know, but I haven't taken that class!
I bet you PC-Einsteins are laughing at the screenshot I posted!

Oke, at least you're not the dumbest..  :-[
I'm stuck at the same phase, but unlike you have not figured out where to put the path..

What did you do to fix it?

Also, before I overwrite files on the camera, I want to make sure I got the backup right..
It seems like a standard windows C:\ drive folder structure (right side).

Is this correct?

Offline SamLowryBrazil

• Contributor
« Reply #234 on: November 01, 2017, 09:48:14 pm »
Yes, Squawk, I followed steps 1-6 of http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/. Step 6 tells you to down the FLIRfif folder, which includes the Set_RNDIS_permament.fif file needed to switch to RNDIS mode. Then I waited for Bud's package, which continues where step 6 should stop (because our Flir e4 is the newer 3.9.0).

The following users thanked this post: Squawk

Offline SamLowryBrazil

• Contributor
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2017, 09:52:31 pm »
Regarding the back-up, that should be the easy part! I don't recognise the program WinSCP that you used (I chose Filezilla), but it's just a matter of copying and pasting. Your C: drive is where the back-up belongs, and I made one on several others of my drives just in case.

Offline SamLowryBrazil

• Contributor
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2017, 09:56:19 pm »
To answer your question about the Python step, there is an easy way to tell the command prompt (which you open by typing cmd into the Windows search bar) a file's location. Instead of typing out where your file is (C:\ etc), just drag the file on to the command prompt.

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2017, 10:03:59 pm »
Regarding the back-up, that should be the easy part! I don't recognise the program WinSCP that you used (I chose Filezilla), but it's just a matter of copying and pasting. Your C: drive is where the back-up belongs, and I made one on several others of my drives just in case.

Hey Sam, thanks for coming to the resque! :)

But do you recognize the folders on the right?
Are those the ones to backup?

Cause I'm a bit surprised to see folders like "Program Files", "Windows" and "Temp".. which seem a lot like the C:\ folder structure..

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2017, 10:06:38 pm »
To answer your question about the Python step, there is an easy way to tell the command prompt (which you open by typing cmd into the Windows search bar) a file's location. Instead of typing out where your file is (C:\ etc), just drag the file on to the command prompt.

But which file you mean? The conf.cfg file?
I've tried to put C:\ and C:\Python27\ in front of several places, but nothing worked.. got the same syntax error you got..
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:58:40 pm by Squawk »

Offline SamLowryBrazil

• Contributor
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:36 pm »
Hey Sam, thanks for coming to the resque! :)

But do you recognize the folders on the right?
Are those the ones to backup?

Cause I'm a bit surprised to see folders like "Program Files", "Windows" and "Temp".. which seem a lot like the C:\ folder structure..

Your picture shows that you have backed them up correctly. Just like a computer, the camera needs its own operating system, so it is normal.

Offline SamLowryBrazil

• Contributor
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:27 pm »
I've tried to put C:\ and C:\Python27\ in front of several places, but nothing worked.. got the same syntax error you got..

To make it easier to type the locations, move the V2 file and conf.cfg files to your C: folder (and in no subfolders of that). Then you would type the following (no more, no less) where xxx etc. is your SUID:
python C:\cfccfg_v2.py xxx C:\conf.cfg C:\conf.cfc

Note that it worked for me only when I told the command prompt to create the new cfc file in a location (let's make it the C:\ drive for simplicity's sake and then move it later).

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2017, 10:37:31 pm »

To make it easier to type the locations, move the V2 file and conf.cfg files to your C: folder (and in no subfolders of that). Then you would type the following (no more, no less) where xxx etc. is your SUID:
python C:\cfccfg_v2.py xxx C:\conf.cfg C:\conf.cfc

Note that it worked for me only when I told the command prompt to create the new cfc file in a location (let's make it the C:\ drive for simplicity's sake and then move it later).

Then something else is wrong.. because that combination also doesn't work..  :-//
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:58:26 pm by Squawk »

Offline SamLowryBrazil

• Contributor
« Reply #242 on: November 01, 2017, 10:47:50 pm »
Then something else is wrong.. because that combination also doesn't work..  :-//

That is exactly what I typed for myself (obviously with my own SUID), so that leaves the following possibilities:
The files still aren't where you told the command prompt they are (C: drive);
You forgot to extract the .py file (which is in a zip file when you download it);
Or I'm missing something because I am also a noob!
One other thing came to mind: try it again in Windows command prompt instead (by typing cmd into the start menu).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:51:04 pm by SamLowryBrazil »

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2017, 10:52:23 pm »
U da man!  8)

U officially r not allowed to call yourself noob again..  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:58:06 pm by Squawk »

The following users thanked this post: jslashr

Offline SamLowryBrazil

• Contributor
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2017, 10:59:54 pm »
U da man!  8)

U officially r not allowed to call yourself noob again..  ;)

Aww thanks, I'll pin that quotation to my wall! haha

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2017, 11:38:05 pm »
Bud, I got the hack working, but there are some issues.
(I have a non-WiFi version, E4, 2.0L firmware version 3.9.0.)

1. The spot temp doesn't show (and there are only 2 options: "No Measurements" and "Centre Spot", but both are not showing)
2. I can't select camera mode anymore (msx, pic in pic, etc.), the icon is greyed-out
3. Temp. Scale only has "auto"
4. I only have 1 row of (7) different color pallettes (not 2 rows with more options, like max, min, alarm temp, etc. as in your screenshot)
5. Recording mode only shows "Single Shot"
6. The visual camera does not record anymore (only IR)
7. I don't have the magnifying glass
8. I can't select "Add Table" in the playback mode (greyed-out)

Any solution I can try to get these things back?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:52:47 pm by Squawk »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2017, 11:46:18 pm »
Use the recovery procedure on page 8.

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #247 on: November 01, 2017, 11:54:14 pm »
Use the recovery procedure on page 8.

And then re-do it?
Or will it not (never) work with my device for some reason (region or non-wifi related issues)?

Edit:

I reversed all steps from back to front, except for the restarts. All is back to normal (as when out of the box) standard E4.

There is something I found strange (added screenshot) about files not being overwritten because they're named different (z3 added) but seem to have the same function.
The blue selected files are the ones we're suppose to copy to that folder. Look at their file names in relation to the files already there..
Maybe this can be a clue as to why it didn't work for my E4?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:38:17 am by Squawk »

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2017, 01:25:14 am »
For convenience, this is a summary of how to get the camera into RNDIS mode:

1. Download and install Python 2.7.9 (later/recent versions of Python don't seem to work): https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.9/python-2.7.9.msi
   During the installation, click the little box on the left of Python and select “Entire feature will be installed on local drive”.
   Restart PC after installing Python 2.7!

2. Download and install FileZilla: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

3. Download "e4hack3c.zip": https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=113430
   Unzip/unpack the file "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif" and copy it to C:\

4. Download and install the FLIR Device Drivers from here: http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/swdownload/assets/other/flir_device_drivers.exe

5. Download and install FLIR Tools: http://support.flir.com/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=120 (I used FLIR Tools+ v 6.3, which worked just fine.)

6. The first step is to connect the camera to the PC using the USB cable provided. Windows will detect the camera and automatically install the drivers.

7. When the installation is complete, navigate to "C:\Program Files\FLIR Systems\FLIR Tools\bin\" and run "FLIRInstallNet.exe".

8. Hit Browse, navigate to the "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif" file (that you copied to C:\) and hit the Run FIF button.
   When the camera is in RNDIS mode and connected to the computer, it is possible that your Internet connection will go down.
   This is normal and your Internet connection will be automatically restored when the camera is disconnected.

9. On the PC, go to Start, Run, type "cmd" and press enter (you may have to run "Command Prompt" as administrator if you have trouble with the Python script later on).
   This will bring up the command line interface. Type "ipconfig/all" and press enter. This will do an enumeration of all network interfaces currently on the computer.
   Scroll a bit to the top and you should see the word INFRARED, which is IP of the FLIR camera (most likely 192.168.0.2).
   Write down this IP adress.

10. Next, run Fillezilla. On the quick connect boxes enter the host IP (192.168.0.2 in this case), username: flir and password: 3vlig and hit Quickconnect.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:34:01 pm by Squawk »

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, anton610, smarvel, tetsusya, davith

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:31 am »
It is time to get another E4.  A wifi version this round. Any good promotion going on now?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf