Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436325 times)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2017, 09:13:23 am »
We are so sorry you lose your time. It is our guess it was your own choice to do so and not wait.

Tip: restore your original config file to get MSX back.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Myself

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2017, 12:55:55 am »
And a special feature from Bud, not being present in Ex series cameras: graphics overlay toggle using the Back button. Toggle the button to enable/disable the overlay. Very useful if only want to see the scene with no temperature scale and stuff. Provides 100% use of the screen real estate.

And one sorely needed in all such cameras! That was always the most annoying part of UVC streaming on my old E4, the inability to turn off the overlay.

"Not present in Ex series cameras", does that mean it's present in some other Flir models and you brought it over somehow? Or did you implement that from scratch?

(Don't suppose any of 'em have the ability to stream both the IR and Visible images simultaneously, say like a side-by-side image?)

... not as simple as patching a couple bytes...
... implanting code from other device models...

???

At risk of derailing what's already probably one of the most breathlessly-anticipated developments on the forum (at least to me!), I feel like your methodology here might also be worth its own thread or something. I'm more of a hardware guy so maybe I'm the only one absolutely mystified by what you're doing, but.. mixing and matching snippets of compiled code, it sounds like? 'Ow the 'eck do you do that?

I guess all the cameras in the series are based on the same processor, and even other series are probably on the same general architecture, but still, I can't just slice up part of Word.exe and paste it into Excel.exe and change the way it works. Can I? Aren't there a gazillion things done by the compiler and linker, which you'd have to manually adjust every time you move parts around?

Welp, I just ordered a new E4 Wifi to replace the old (stolen) one. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Bud, if you're ever in Detroit, hit me up for a beer or something!

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2017, 02:54:54 am »
"Not present in Ex series cameras", does that mean it's present in some other Flir models and you brought it over somehow? Or did you implement that from scratch?

Programmable button is present in higher end cameras, they have a dedicated "P" button, e.g. T640 and E75 shown in the attached picture. Ex cameras do not have that physical button, so I found a way  to map one of the buttons (I used the Back button) to the programmable button function. And unlocked the code that controls that function.
I agree that hiding the overlay is a very useful feature, but the P-button can do more and is configurable in the Settings screen. I found Hide Graphics and Switch between two last palettes  the most useful options to me, something that I use really often.

(Don't suppose any of 'em have the ability to stream both the IR and Visible images simultaneously, say like a side-by-side image?)

Not sure but I think any of the camera can only stream one type of video at a time.

.. mixing and matching snippets of compiled code, it sounds like?

Not exactly, it is a mix of compiled code and scripts, and there is not much you can do to compiled code, but scripts are editable. This approach is not new, user janekivi used it extensively in his update packages for the previous generation (2.3.0)  E4.

I guess all the cameras in the series are based on the same processor

May not be the same processor but many of them seem to be ARM Thumb, up to very expensive models. Not sure what the highest ones run.

Bud, if you're ever in Detroit, hit me up for a beer or something!

You said it!  :)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2017, 04:53:40 am »
EEPROM unlock code found !   8)

Offline BOGET

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2017, 09:25:00 am »
EEPROM unlock code found !   8)
Well done, Bud! That's impressive, do you know what the new pw is?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2017, 02:18:36 pm »
Hard to guess if you are not a Swede:

ArneAnka

Google who Arne Anka is   :D

Edit: The code was provided for learning/exploratory purpose. Be smart and do not change anything in the EEPROM, it may be devastating to the device.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:22:13 pm by Bud »

Offline eeviking

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2017, 03:16:16 pm »
 :-DD
If you want to hack scandinavian gear try some combinations of: KalleAnka, AndersAnd etc.
Funny enough some of our Swedish gear have AkuAnkka as default password.  ;D

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2017, 03:37:06 pm »
 :-DD   :-+

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2017, 04:11:44 pm »
Just wondering, if I was to have a recent E4 (without WiFi), could a 'hack' as this enable WiFi?
Or would this method even only work on a E4 WiFi version?

@ Bud, I don't know how you do your magic, but it's impressive!

B.t.w. I can't find the firmware version 3.9 (which I thought was posted somewhere).
Does anybody know if it has been removed or am I loosing my eye sight?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:13:15 pm by Squawk »

Offline DaveWBTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2017, 04:33:07 pm »
Just wondering, if I was to have a recent E4 (without WiFi), could a 'hack' as this enable WiFi?

B.t.w. I can't find the firmware version 3.9 (which I thought was posted somewhere).
Does anybody know if it has been removed or am I loosing my eye sight?
3.9 can be found here:
http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/swdownload/assets/cameradownload/flir_ex_pn639_v3.9.0__update_pack.zip
Hard to guess if you are not a Swede:

ArneAnka

Google who Arne Anka is   :D

Edit: The code was provided for learning/exploratory purpose. Be smart and do not change anything in the EEPROM, it may be devastating to the device.
Does this mean that the camera could be set as an E8 and be seen as an E8 in flir tools?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2017, 04:53:24 pm »
The camera ID can be changed in the EEPROM, but this in no way changes the cameras operating configuration. Yes it will be identified as an E(whatever number) but this was normally only done by people who wanted their camera to be as close to looking like an E8 as possible. Personally, I am proud of my upgraded E4 and it is now so much more than an E8 anyway :)

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2017, 05:08:24 pm »
It is two separate things i think. Camera resolution/ menu enhansement and ID-ing in Flir Tools. The former does not have to do with the ID in EEPROM, the latter may - need to be tested, i have not tried.
I can't recall if stock E4 WiFi has EEPROM web page, i uploaded and am using a web pack from one of earlier camera models which had it. But most of other functions in Service menu are not working i.e. Bad pixel replacement map.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »

Findig a way to beat the 2-layer hash validation in applauncher was the most challenging and took a few sleepless nights. The rest is easier but takes a LOT of editing, trying and rebooting. I am on my 300-ish restart counter as reported in Camera Information screen.

I recall i glanced over E75 file system and it seemed to have using the same 2-layer-ed hash , so my educated guess is E75 can be liberated to E95 configuration using the same procedure.

Offline eg14

• Contributor
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:04 pm »

Findig a way to beat the 2-layer hash validation in applauncher was the most challenging and took a few sleepless nights. The rest is easier but takes a LOT of editing, trying and rebooting. I am on my 300-ish restart counter as reported in Camera Information screen.

I recall i glanced over E75 file system and it seemed to have using the same 2-layer-ed hash , so my educated guess is E75 can be liberated to E95 configuration using the same procedure.

If I was rich I'd buy you an E75 so we could find out.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2017, 07:49:40 pm »

The newer Exx series use Linux, but I assume that it won't make any difference? Would be good to unlock it to the full 640x480!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline peppy88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2017, 09:40:20 pm »
Tried to download 3.9.0 but there was no file. On Flir's site there is 3.12.0 now http://flir.custhelp.com/app/account/fl_download_software

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:16 am »
Tried to download 3.9.0 but there was no file. On Flir's site there is 3.12.0 now http://flir.custhelp.com/app/account/fl_download_software
Wow, just worked for me a few hours ago.
New 3.12.0 direct download: http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/swdownload/assets/cameradownload/flir_ex_pn639_v3.12.0_update_pack.zip

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2017, 01:08:36 am »
@peppy88
Download the 3.12.0 and hold on to it for now, we will see what we can do.

@Chanc3
The newer Exx series use Linux, but I assume that it won't make any difference? Would be good to unlock it to the full 640x480!

I checked again and E75...E95 are Part # 785 and look totally different animal, perhaps as you saying it is Linux. So I was incorrect. I guess I was reviewing files for E40...E60 series which is Part # 645, and that one still seems to be EEV Blog friendly.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:31:32 am by Bud »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2017, 01:11:55 am »

I'd think it would not have the WiFi hardware. So WiFi may not work but the rest should work.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2017, 03:09:37 am »
OK lets see what else we've liberated...

- Data overlay. Provides a selection of parameters that can be displayed in addition to usual measurements and controls information.

- External Window Compensation. Provides compensation of temperature readings when there is an external IR window is in front of the camera. Not sure what use cases for it may exist, do not ask me how you can use it, I am just making it available.  Perhaps @Fraser could provide an advice.

- Time Lapse. Takes the configured number of shots separated by a specified time interval. Minimum interval  is 15 sec for now, will see if can be shortened. Shots are saved as separate files with the usual naming convention.

- Screening mode. Sets an alarm when measured temperature exceeds a specific threshold. Documentation specifically mentions use case for screening sick people at airports. You set temperature  threshold and hysteresis and the alarm icon will turn Red when measured temperature goes above the threshold. My recollection is it also writes events in a log file on the flash drive, so it can either be examined later, or remotely monitored in real time via Telnet or ftp. Only the high end cameras ($20,000-$40,000) have this feature. Now available in E4 for only a kilobuck  8)

Seems it is going to be the most massive liberation of E4 since sliced bread  >:D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:12:22 am by Bud »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2017, 03:34:48 am »
!!!!

Where do we buy the Bud update pack? Hahaha

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2017, 10:14:05 am »
Bud,

External IR windows are used on the casings of hazardous euipment such as high energy utility supplies. They enable inspection of the equipments interior without breaching the safety containment. Such windows are made from various thermal wavelength transmissive materials but the transmission % varies. The FLIR External IR window menu enables the user to select the correct transmission figure for the IR window that is in use. The camera then compensated for the transmission loss when taking measurements through the window.

https://www.tester.co.uk/downloads/dl/file/id/2610/product/11398/flir_irw_infrared_window_datasheet.pdf

https://www.tester.co.uk/flir-irw-infrared-window-choice-of-size?fee=3&fep=11398&gclid=CjwKCAjwssvPBRBBEiwASFoVdwl_YDY_2QjMiyKD5P9ZrwkrngjNog92AmScuNWrWXcWvNpnSmMsZBoC7SEQAvD_BwE

An external IR window compensation feature that permits manual entry of the transmission figure can be very useful when experimenting with auxiliary lenses. Such permits the transmission losses of the additional lens block to be compensated out of measurements in order to provide more accuracy. The FLIR 'T' series provides external window and lens compensation in its measurement correction options.

There should be two data entry fields or menu's, temperature and transmission %. In your picture I suspect the 20 is the temperature in Degrees C, and the 100 is the default transmission set to 100%. I would expect there to be a way to change these two entries, such as the 'rotating' tumbler wheels used elsewhere. Some functions require the touch screen to use them.

FLIR's ITC have produced a guide for establishing the transmission losses of an IR window so that measurements may be corrected.

http://flir.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/9908/0/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzY5NjUyNTI2L3NpZC9nKkNjLWRybA==/filename/Tech+Pub+-+Easy+Window+Transmission+Measurement.pdf

External window transmittance by FLIR's ITC

http://support.flir.com/Answers/A817T/A817-T560472_A-en-US%20Technical%20publication%2060%20Window%20or%20External%20Optics%20Transmittance.pdf

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:48:40 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2017, 01:42:23 pm »
That is great Fraser, thank you. Sounds a useful feature for experimenters.
Yes turning ext window compensation on enables value selection scroll lists for temperature and transmission coefficient. This information is also then added to the Exif header in the images taken with it enabled.

Offline Markofq

« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2017, 05:40:15 pm »
Just got my E4 2.0L with stock 3.5 FW.

Reading all the threads I just can't find 3.9 FW update ( the file is lost... ) and on Flir site there is only latest 3.12.

Can someone upload a 3.9 update, or 3.12 is also ok ? Anyone @Bud ?

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2017, 08:11:04 pm »
Thanks for the previous answers and clarifications guys..
I'm wondering the same thing..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf