Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436283 times)

Offline Markofq

Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2017, 10:19:01 pm »
Thanks to my brother fellow Hungarian I managed to update my camera to FW 3.9  8)

Now comes the tricky part :)  Anyone willing to help ?

Offline peppy88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2017, 11:53:35 am »
@Markofq Where did u get the 3.9.0 firmware?

Offline Markofq

The following users thanked this post: peppy88, Squawk, Sherifftruman, FabLabRUC

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2017, 03:43:01 pm »
Hi All!  I have two E4's, one with 2.11.0 that I successfully applied the res and menu hack to, and the other one is a 2017 3.9.0 FW and 2.0L HW which I successfully retrieved the SUID and decrypted the CFC.  I now have the CFG file and not sure where to go from here to do the res hack plus the menu hack and all the extras Bud is adding.  Do I just edit the cfg file and change everything to "True" and enter the 320x240 resolution and re-encrypt the file or do I need to generate a new DLL as well? 
Please help.  ;D

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2017, 07:19:51 pm »
It is in development and has not been published yet, you have to wait.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: SteveRosenlund, Markofq, Zs8192

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2017, 07:44:30 pm »
Thank you Bud!

Great work btw!   :-+

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2017, 11:39:02 am »
Thanks for the v 3.9 file Markofq!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2017, 05:15:21 pm »
Some nasty  surprizes coming with 3.1.20 3.12.0

Code: [Select]
qml_context_property type="string" name="registrationNag" value="N/A"
 ui_model type="RegistrationWizardModel" name="registrationWizardModel" ... title="CAMERA_REGISTRATION_TITLE"
some other related crap such as screen to enter some verification  code

:--

The new update has no anything new beside the forementioned registration screen for you to register the device and , guess, a nag screen if you don't.

Unclear if they introduce it in 3.12.0 or prepairing to be introduced in one of the next releases. Because of this and because 3.12.0 has no any technical feature updates, I do not recommend updating  to 3.12.0. Stick to 3.9.0 for as long as you can.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:26:15 pm by Bud »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2017, 08:08:21 am »
Basic update package for E4 2.0L WiFi fw v3.9.0

DISCLAIMER: YOU PERFORM UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK

It is an endless endeavor to dig into and navigate the E4 gold mine of undocumented features , so I split the update to parts. If all you need is enhanced resolution , new palettes and measurement presets, this Basic package is for you. You can always upgrade later to the next level. It may even be possible that the Advanced package will have too much for you and you will want to roll back to this Basic package. There is so much stuff in Advanced one that not many people will be able to use it and it will only complicate the menu and settings. By starting with Basic one you also learn the procedure and navigating the user interface, so stepping the level up will be easier to digest the overwhelming amount of liberated stuff that comes in Advanced bucket.

Always make a backup copy of your stock camera before applying the mods. You will need it to roll the change back in case of problems or if you decide to sell the camera.

With the mods in place you should NOT apply firmware updates published by the camera manufacturer. Such updates may overwrite critical files and the camera may stop working. If you want to apply such update you first have to remove the mod and return to stock configuration. However you cannot re-apply the mod that was made for the earlier firmware versions. There is high risk of bricking the camera in such scenario.

The mods are provided for your personal use. In case you need to sell the camera, please roll the change back to stock firmware. There will be a quick splash screen at startup reminding you of that. If someone, who is not aware of the said condition in the previous paragraph, buys a mod-ed camera from you and applies a manufacturer firmware update, the person will end up with a bricked camera. Please be considerate and do not do that.

This update was made for and using E4 2.0L 3.9.0 WiFi version device. It has not been tested on a non-WiFi device, though my thoughts are it should work there too. You will have  to use USB and RNDIS mode though to apply the update.

PS: the archive has two files because of limitation on attachment file size.

Edit: please take note of errata/typos Markofq posted 3 post below

'********************************************************

Recovery procedure

Use the following procedure to revert the change if update was not successful and your camera stuck in boot logo screen or blank screen.

• Power down the camera and disconnect from USB if connected
  • Reconnect USB. Do NOT power on the camera.
  • Run FlirInstallNet and upload the temporary RNDIS fif file
  • Wait for the camera to get IP address assigned as usual, ping 192.168.0.2 and make sure the camera responds to ping.
  • Run FTP and connect to the camera using the following credentials:

user: anonymous
pass: NcFTP@

• You should now have access to files on the camera and restore your original files from backup.
  • Power down the camera, remove the battery for 10 sec and put it back.

Update Dec 23, 2017:

Advanced update package:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1382599/#msg1382599

'==========

Update: Additional enhancement for the GUI here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1401621/#msg1401621

Update Dec 25, 2019:

2019 Christmas Pack:

The 2019 Christmas Pack adds another powerful feature - custom User Presets. For details follow the link:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg2844298/#msg2844298

'=====================
Update March 7, 2019: So far the following FW versions confirmed working: 3.9.0, 3.11.0, 3.12.0, 3.13.0, 3.16.0. They may use different packages, you need to scan this thread for information and attachments for a particular fw version.
'=====================
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 03:42:20 am by Bud »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2017, 11:22:30 am »
Bud,

Excellent work.

I am pleased and impressed that you have considered the issue of upgraded cameras being vulnerable to bricking if newer firmware is loaded, and your consideration for potential buyers of an upgraded camera :)

Excellent :)

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: stylius

Offline Markofq

« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2017, 11:31:23 am »
Thanks Bud ! :-+

I have a non WIFI model, I will try it and let you  know.

Offline gregor11

• Contributor
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2017, 01:27:45 pm »
Thank you bud for your work.

On Flir E4 without Wifi 3.5.0 2.0.L does not work.
Replacing common_dll.dll causes a crash on the flir logo.
Does common_dll.dll 3.9.0 differ from common_dll.dll 3.5.0?
Later, I will update the camera to 3.9.0 and see if I am happy.

Offline Markofq

« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2017, 01:36:26 pm »
@Bud
The update went fine  8)

There were some typos in readme:
 3.1 FlashIFS\version.rsc should be FLIRVers.rsc
 7 when typing python cfccfg.py file ( the downloaded file has a _V2 on it so people should rename it or just point to right file  )
 9 (b) FlashFS\system\common_dll.dll the correct path is FlashBFS\system\common_dll.dll

And for the record this works with NON wifi model also!

Thanks !

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2017, 01:40:25 pm »
@gregor11
Did not i make it clear enough in the instructions what fw version it is for?

Edit: this exactly illustrate my point on danger of mixing fw versions.

You should roll back, update to 3.9.0 and go from there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:46:50 pm by Bud »

Offline peppy88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2017, 01:42:12 pm »
@bud

do you think a 3.12.0 to 3.9.0 downgrade is possible? Want to know in case I get one that already comes with 3.12.0

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2017, 01:43:30 pm »
@Bud
The update went fine  8)

7 when typing python cfccfg.py file ( the downloaded file has a _V2 on it so people should rename it or just point to right file  )
 9 (b) FlashFS\system\common_dll.dll the correct path is FlashBFS\system\common_dll.dll

Thanks !

Thanks!
 that is embarrasing typos. This is what happens when posting at 4am after working all day.

All - please take a note before i fix the typos in the package and download the archive again, the instructions file has been updated.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:56:38 pm by Bud »

Offline wvdv2002

« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2017, 02:32:23 pm »
Thanks Bud for the description.

For me the updated failed. For other users it would be nice if you could add the description of how to setup the camera in RNDIS mode. I found a description for older firmware using FlirInstallNet.exe and some fif files, but using that description it seems it changes some wrong things in the new firmware version, as in device information nothing is shown about the resolution of the camera anymore and the build in normal camera does not work anymore.

FYI, the right way to set the camera in RNDIS mode is by going into the camera information menu and holding the right menu key for more than 10 seconds. Then you get a diagnostics menu where you can sat USB mode etcetera.

If anybody has a tip on how to get back normal camera functionality let me know.

Offline Markofq

« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2017, 02:42:25 pm »
@Bud
The update went fine  8)

Thanks !

Thanks!
 that is embarrasing typos. This is what happens when posting at 4am after working all day.

All - please take a note before i fix the typos in the package and download the archive again, the instructions file has been updated.

No problem m8,

About menu, if I edit toolbar-config.xml and remove this

<ToolBar name="new_settings"/>
   <ToolBar name="recordingModeMenu">
        <ToolBar name="recordingMode_still"/>
    </ToolBar>

Is it all that is needed to be done to get rid of that toolbar "recording mode" ? ( since I don't see a reason beeing there it does nothing for me )

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2017, 03:07:46 pm »
About menu, if I edit toolbar-config.xml and remove this

<ToolBar name="new_settings"/>
   <ToolBar name="recordingModeMenu">
        <ToolBar name="recordingMode_still"/>
    </ToolBar>

Is it all that is needed to be done to get rid of that toolbar "recording mode" ? ( since I don't see a reason beeing there it does nothing for me )

There will be more recording modes in Advanced pack, but you can leave it that way, a new toolbar-config.xml will be supplied with it.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:44 pm »
For me the updated failed.

You did not say what hardware and original fw version you camera is.

For other users it would be nice if you could add the description of how to setup the camera in RNDIS mode.

I cant spoonfeed everyone. Do I also need to teach people how to use FTP? Telnet? How copy files? Rename files? People are expected to do their homework.

I found a description for older firmware using FlirInstallNet.exe and some fif files, but using that description it seems it changes some wrong things in the new firmware version

I still use FlirInstallNet and fif filesfor RNDIS  back from 2014. I do not know why yours did not work.

FYI, the right way to set the camera in RNDIS mode is by going into the camera information menu and holding the right menu key for more than 10 seconds. Then you get a diagnostics menu where you can sat USB mode etcetera.

You certainly have not tried that, otherwise you would know it does not work. That screen was locked long time back by Flir and it is not possible to change USB from that hidden menu.

If anybody has a tip on how to get back normal camera functionality let me know.

- Power down the camera and disconnect USB if connected
- Reconnect USB. Do NOT power on the camera.
- Run FlirInstallNet and upload the temporary RNDIS fif file
- Wait for the camera to get IP address assigned as usual, ping 192.168.0.2 and make sure the camera responds to ping.
- Run FTP and connect to the camera using the following credentials:

user: anonymous
pass: NcFTP@

-You should now have access to the files and copy back  your original files from a backup. I trust you made a backup before trying the update.

The following users thanked this post: tetsusya

Offline gregor11

• Contributor
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2017, 04:04:14 pm »
Thanks bud.
I read that for 3.9.0.
I just wanted to check if it works with 3.5.0, it just updates to 3.9.0.

Offline Markofq

« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2017, 04:05:46 pm »
Thanks Bud for the description.

For me the updated failed. For other users it would be nice if you could add the description of how to setup the camera in RNDIS mode. I found a description for older firmware using FlirInstallNet.exe and some fif files, but using that description it seems it changes some wrong things in the new firmware version, as in device information nothing is shown about the resolution of the camera anymore and the build in normal camera does not work anymore.

I used fif files from 2.11.0 Hack files and it worked both ways to RNDIS and back to MSD/VDC mode.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2017, 04:09:36 pm »
Thanks bud.
I read that for 3.9.0.
I just wanted to check if it works with 3.5.0, it just updates to 3.9.0.

NO, do not attempt doing it on 3.5.0   , it will not work.

The following users thanked this post: gregor11

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2017, 04:22:43 pm »
Bud,
First of all, great job and thanks for all the hard work!  I tested with my 2017 WiFi 2.0L/3.9.0 and everything went well.

There's one typo:
10. Transfer the new common_dll.dll from the working folder to the camera -> FlashFS\system\ Should be changed to FlashBFS\system\

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2017, 04:46:20 pm »
Thanks CABNY, that was already reported and has now been fixed and an updated archive uploaded.

Enjoy your camera !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf