Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436693 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #375 on: December 10, 2017, 10:00:07 am »
Thank you my friend. You still may not have the job complete, there should be no manufacturer logo in a properly liberated system.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline RepairLab

« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2017, 10:34:51 am »
Thank you my friend. You still may not have the job complete, there should be no manufacturer logo in a properly liberated system.

you are right, photo is during the difficulties I mentioned where the resolution was upgraded but I have done something wrong with the conf.   ::)

The only problem I now have is the alignment images in MSX mode when shooting close ups. But I found some posts on calibration so I am working on it! Thank you again!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:41:55 am by RepairLab »
Microsoldering Addict
www.youtube.com/repairlab

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: December 10, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »
Just in case my post on a 2017 FW3.5 / HW2.0L Ex chassis issue is of any interest to readers of this thread....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-ex-chassis-ets320-interesting-'fault'-may-apply-to-e4-e5-e6-e8/

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Sherifftruman

« Reply #378 on: December 11, 2017, 07:35:56 pm »
So, I don’t have a Flirinstallnet in the program files/flir systems folder. I don’t even have a FLIR Tools folder there. I’m on FLIR tools 6.4. Doesn’t seem like they would change it. I can do the ctrl-shift-alt deal and click on the camera on the update screen to select the fif file to use but if I do that on the rndis temporary fif it then asks what version of eFLIRinstall to use and I can’t find it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:37:52 pm by Sherifftruman »

Offline Sherifftruman

« Reply #379 on: December 11, 2017, 10:41:20 pm »
Hello together,

I got a Flir E4 with Firmware 3.1.2 so I used the 3.9.0 upgrade package and downgraded the firmware with NO issues.

Now I will try Buds method for upgrading...

Incedentally, I did the same on my new from FLIR E4 as well. That part worked just fine.

Offline Sherifftruman

« Reply #380 on: December 12, 2017, 03:29:41 am »
So, I eventually deleted FLIR Tools and installed an older version I found and it Installed FlirInstallnet.exe, so I was able to get it working.

Thanks. Loving these changes just playing around for 5 minutes!

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline Qwiq

« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2017, 04:15:52 am »
Hello together,

I got a Flir E4 with Firmware 3.1.2 so I used the 3.9.0 upgrade package and downgraded the firmware with NO issues.

Can this be used for the E4 w/WiFi model?

Offline Sherifftruman

« Reply #382 on: December 17, 2017, 01:00:29 am »
Hello together,

Can this be used for the E4 w/WiFi model?

Worked for me. Evidently they don’t do any checking to see if the new version number is higher than current.

Offline susann

« Reply #383 on: December 17, 2017, 05:32:55 pm »
Firmwaredowngrade from 3.12.0 to 3.9.0 worked with Flir Tools 6.4 (was not possible with older Flir Tools 5.0) as well as the described steps from Bud to patch conf.cfc and replace common_dll.dll on a non-WiFi Flir E4 2.0L - thanks man! :-+ I just needed the resolution enhancement, so I have not tested the pallette files etc.

Offline mrubbert

• Contributor
« Reply #384 on: December 21, 2017, 09:25:25 pm »
After doing 1 big mistake, i guess the latest flir 6.4xx was blocking the log in by name.
Its my birthday today i coud never have better gift after done the fix  :-+.
Thanks to all, and noob  :-+ !

Always funny with pictures.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2017, 04:16:00 am »
Advanced update package for E4 2.0L WiFi fw v3.9.0

DISCLAIMER: YOU PERFORM THIS UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Christmas 2017 is approaching fast. Good news to my fellow E4 fans: Santa has just dropped by and here is your long wished Christmas present: the Advanced Liberation Pack for the E4 2.0L fw v3.9.0.
You have to have the Basic Liberation Package installed first, if you have not yet. Then apply this one on top of it.

Take a backup copy of your camera before applying the mod. You will need it to roll the change back in case of problems.

With the mod in place you should NOT apply firmware updates published by the camera manufacturer. Such updates may overwrite critical files and the camera may stop working. If you want to apply such update you first have to remove the mod and return to the stock configuration.

The mod is provided for your personal use. In case you need to sell the camera, please roll the change back to the stock firmware. There will be a quick splash screen at startup reminding you of that. If someone, who is not aware of the said condition in the previous paragraph, buys the mod-ed camera from you and applies a manufacturer firmware update, the person will end up with a bricked camera. Please be considerate and do not do that.

This update was made for and using E4 2.0L 3.9.0 WiFi version device. It has not been tested on a non-WiFi device, though my thoughts are it should work with it too. You will have  to use USB and RNDIS mode to apply the update to non-WiFi camera.

Please report errors/omissions in the installation instructions in this thread, and share your success (or fail) stories.

'=====================

Edit:  Some people asked how they can donate. Thanks everyone for your kindness, here is a few cryptocurrency addresses:

Bitcoin:
19zxE1RPm2bX3AmyUAkPEB2iyyCUUVRPmg

Ethereum:
0xb9Bf7301ffB58c1d1D3fAc951F888dC9Bdd1410d

Ripple:
rBo5NVTka69dtnKYvZp3tMEY35yMLK44Du

'=====================

Update: Liberation Package for E4 2.0L fw v3.12.0 is here
Update: CommonDLL for E4 2.0L fw v3.16.0 is here. Except for this file, use the package from v3.12.0 to  liberate v3.16.0
Update: So far the following FW versions confirmed working: 3.9.0, 3.11.0, 3.12.0, 3.13.0, 3.16.0. They may use different packages, you need to scan this thread for information and attachments for a particular fw version.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:56:04 am by Bud »

Offline mrubbert

• Contributor
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2017, 03:00:24 pm »
Many thanks and happy christmas.

On quick test the non-wifi 3.9.0 is working fine, many new things.

Little early to post this:
The medical pallet is missing on the camera (got 12 different).
I did copy the system map at once.

I will check after next dinner brake, recopy or whatever. preset_screening.rsc

The following users thanked this post: Squawk, anton610

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: December 24, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
Ah, the stock WiFi version includes the medical palette. OK i will add it to the package for non-WiFi owners.

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, Squawk

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: December 25, 2017, 01:46:09 am »
The Advanced package has too many features and may be overwhelming. But for experimenters it can be goldmine for the price, because some of the features only available in $10K price range Flir cameras.

To help learn it, download the Flir Exx series user manual which has chapters on working with Isotherms, Images annotations, Time-lapse, Screening alarms and more.

http://support.flir.com/DocDownload/Assets/dl/t810190-en-us_usl.pdf

Note: Where the manual refers to the Programmable button, on your liberated E4 (Basic or Advanced) it is the Back button.

Also, there is no touch screen on the E4, so the procedures that use touch do not apply to the E4.

Some of the features in the Advanced package have been synthesized by your servant and may not exist in the exact implementation in any of F cameras. Those ones I will explain separately.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 01:55:59 am by Bud »

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, mrubbert, Platonas, Squawk, Zs8192, anton610, tetsusya

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #389 on: December 25, 2017, 07:49:05 pm »
Thank you for the Advanced Enhancement package Bud!!!  :D

Have a great Christmas!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: December 26, 2017, 03:43:59 am »
Known limitations:

In the Settings menu the following parameters are read only:
  • Relative Humidity
  • Atmospheric temperature
  • Window compensation (can only be switched On and Off, but can't be adjusted)

To adjust these parameters, use the popup menu. To access the popup menu press Up button when in live image mode:

"Distance" parameter refers to the distance to the object. It slightly affects temperature readings, so for best accuracy set the Distance parameter properly. This parameter can be set in both Settings and Popup menu.

"Alignment Distance" parameter is the MSX alignment distance which affects alignment of the thermal and visual/MSX images, and is equivalent of the same parameter in the Popup menu.
But
In Popup menu the range of settings is 0.3-3m with progressive increment. Whereas in the Settings menu the range is 0.1-1m with 0.1m increment, which allows for closer MSX then in the stock camera, as well as allows for finer adjustment of MSX within first 1m range. For longer MSX distances use the Popup menu.
The finer MSX Alignment distance allows to inspect PCBs in MSX mode closer than with the stock camera.

When using Alignment distance, make sure to actually change and press Select button, because this parameter is displayed individually in each of the menus (Settings or Popup) so it may be confusing, e.g. the Settings menu may say it is 0.1m but the Popup menu says it is 0.6m.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:08:15 am by Bud »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: December 26, 2017, 04:52:30 am »
Adjusting Picture-in-Picture (PIP) window:

• Select PIP mode. A floating message at the top of the screen will tip you to press and hold the Down button if you want to change PIP size or position (screenshot 1).
  • Press and hold the Down button. The PIP window will change to bonding box and the "move" icon will appear in the right top corner (screenshot 2). Use the cursor buttons to reposition the PIP box.
    Note the floating message at the top changed, helping you with tips which buttons to press.
  • If want to resize the box, press Select button. The "move" icon will change to "resize" icon (screenshot 3). Use the cursor buttons to resize the PIP box. Left/Right will change horizontal size. Up/Down will change vertical size.
  • If want to re-adjust the position, press Select button again. This button will toggle between PIP Move and Resize modes.
  • When satisfied with adjustment, press Back button to exit PIP Edit mode. After that, if want to re-adjust PIP, again press and hold the Down button (screenshot 4).

Known limitation: the camera does not store custom PIP size or position. If you exit PIP mode, next time you select PIP mode it will start with the default PIP size and position defined in the PIP preset file in the file system.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:54:56 am by Bud »

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, Squawk, tetsusya

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #392 on: December 26, 2017, 05:17:08 am »
Turning the Screening mode on and off:

When Screening mode is turned off in Main Settings menu, there will be no icon for it displayed.

Only the high end cameras ($20,000-$40,000) have this feature. Now available in E4 with help of your servant  8)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:45:30 am by Bud »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: December 26, 2017, 05:30:45 am »
Sport mode:

It is not known what the Sport mode does. However it was required to unlock the Medical palette. It is possible that this mode may set particular parameters in the thermal sensor, possibly to reduce frame capture time and/or change exposure in order to produce better images of moving objects, but I do not know and was not able to find any information. Searching Flir camera datasheets I could only find one particular camera model that had that mode, and that was a special model for the medical industry. So very specific tests have to be performed to understand if the mode has any specific characteristics or is only a marketing element. Thanks for the Medical palette anyways.

Tip:  If you do not want the Sport mode in the menu, you can turn it off by editing the toolbar-config.xml file. Search for the "sport" word and remove the whole line which has it.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: December 26, 2017, 05:41:57 am »
External IR Window Compensation mode:

For use cases information see this post from Fraser:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1333991/#msg1333991

Offline anton610

« Reply #395 on: December 26, 2017, 08:11:37 am »
Many Thanks Santa Bud!!
  :-+
BR a.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #396 on: December 26, 2017, 09:01:07 am »
I am getting really jealous wit all the features.

Too bad that the flir firmware won't do on Android - but in theory it should be possible to build all of those features into a custom Android app for flir ONE/ Cat S60

Offline theBigK

• Contributor
« Reply #397 on: December 26, 2017, 02:51:38 pm »
Bud, I have been trying to contact Thermal Experts to inquire about their camera, with your new update package, I just ordered the New E4 with Wifi, I am pretty excited.

Once I get home I will send you a donation because I appreciate people spending their valuable time helping others.

Can't wait to get home from the Holidays and use this in the lab and shop

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #398 on: December 26, 2017, 06:31:58 pm »
Bud, really awesome stuff!!

So happy with the parameters popup window!  :-+

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: December 26, 2017, 07:14:27 pm »
Time Lapse mode.
Set a number of shots you want and the camera will take them separated by the specified time interval. Minimum interval  is 15 sec . Images are saved as separate files with the usual naming convention.

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, Squawk, randfee

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf