Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436356 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #400 on: December 26, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
Image Editing features available in two flavours:

1. Edit in the Archive
Edit measurements:  Select an image in the Archive and select Edit. You can then change all usual parameters as in Live view and more. You can add more measurement tools such as Spots, Boxes, Circles, Lines and Deltas. You can move and resize them, add and delete them as you wish. As well as you can change the visual mode (Thermal/MSX, PIP etc), change palettes and temperature scale mode (Auto/Manual). In the sample image provided below I added  moved the Spot, added a Line, a Circle and a Box (which I also resized). The Line tool (the dashed line in the image center) produces a curve that shows thermal gradient along the Line, which is a white solid line at the image bottom.
The black background in the Edit mode is because the screen capture tool that I used did not show the image, only the tools. When you will use this feature you will actually be seeing the actual image as the background.

Adding a Sketch: Select an image in the Archive and select "Add Sketch". This mode exists in Flir touch cameras and was made for touch, so I had to selectively remove some features and only leave the ones that can be used with the keypad. First select the Pen color, then you can add Left and Right Arrows and Circles. You can move them to the desired location on the image. Same as in Tools Edit mode, you will be seeing the actual image as the background, so it will be easy to position the Sketch tools. The resulting sample image after saving the changes is shown in the right bottom in the following screenshot series:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:33:47 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, Squawk

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #401 on: December 26, 2017, 07:42:37 pm »
Image Editing features (continued):

2. Edit in Preview mode. That is, when you enable the Preview mode in the Main Menu, when you take a picture - before it saved you will be presented with Preview of that picture which you can edit and then save or discard. This may be a useful feature when you need to take a picture fast and do not have time to set parameters and/or tools before taking the picture. You can then have time to change them in Preview mode. So first enable the mode in the Main Settings menu, if you want to use it:

You can then change Tools, Palettes, view mode and measurement parameters and save the edited picture. The screenshot series below shows some of the editing features available in Preview mode. My video capture tool did not display the object picture when editing, just the tools. Hence the blank background. When you will be using Preview editing, you will be seeing the object picture as the background.

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, Squawk

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #402 on: December 26, 2017, 07:52:57 pm »
Image Editing features (continued):

All these editing bits are saved as a separate overlay with the image. That is, you can always go back to the Archive and edit them again or remove them altogether.

So as you can see, the Liberated E4 Advanced features can get very overwhelming fast. Simply too many of them. Good or not - you decide for yourself. My task was to make it available.
I will probably stop at this point and let you guys digest what may have been the greatest liberation of E4 since sliced bread. It is not known if the manufacturer will bump up the protection in the next or following FW release for E4, so this may be your last chance to get one. Have fun  ;)

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, Squawk, anton610

Offline Zs8192

« Reply #403 on: December 26, 2017, 08:10:28 pm »
Thanks Bud! It was a great work! :)

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline anton610

« Reply #404 on: December 26, 2017, 08:29:26 pm »
Great work!! Thanks a lot!! :-+

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #405 on: December 27, 2017, 01:34:14 am »
Bud, your work on this hack amazing..

Best Christmas present yet!  :-+

Offline mrubbert

• Contributor
« Reply #406 on: December 28, 2017, 07:41:58 pm »
Thanks again Bud, did test the E4++ little more and i love it  :-+
Did check Backupfiles and the medical.pal is there from begining on no-wifi hw2.0 fw3.9.0.
Did read that its need sport mode to get medical pal, and the lines are in tool-conf.xml.

Woud like to ask squawk or any non-wifi owner if they also missing:
Sport mode
Medical palette
Screening mode
Window compensation
Sketch mode

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #407 on: December 28, 2017, 08:10:53 pm »
Bud, just wanted to let you know it works like a charm!  :D

One thing that got me curious though.. on one of your screenshots of "Image Mode", you have a "video" symbol.
Also, in the settings, it asks how you want video compression (mpeg or radiometric).
Did you manage to get video working?
And if so, will you release it?  8)

@ MRubert: yes, I did get everything to work, but I did have to turn "Screening Mode" to ON in the settings menu.
After that, also Sport mode was visible. Not sure what the relation is, but one seemed to facilitate the other.
Just to be sure, Sketch mode only works when viewing back photo's and selecting to edit them. I do have it there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:18:02 pm by Squawk »

The following users thanked this post: mrubbert, Bud

Offline slopecarver

« Reply #408 on: December 28, 2017, 08:18:30 pm »
Without going back an reading 17 pages (I went back a few pages) can I go out and buy one off the shelf (amazon etc) and unlock it? I was aware of the hackability and then difficulty with non-wifi versions but I couldn't afford even the base camera then. Have hacks been released for all firmware versions of the E4 and E4 wifi to date? Thanks in advance!

Offline Zs8192

« Reply #409 on: December 28, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »
There are some bugs in toolbar-config.xml.

There is no way to mix these entries:
      <ToolBar name="imageMode_.....
      <ToolBar name="measure_global_....

Try on image edit mode. Navigate in menu and the device will be freeze.

Offline mrubbert

• Contributor
« Reply #410 on: December 28, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
Glad to se that its working. :)
Did read Buds post #392 how to enable screening in menu, but screening is not in the menu at all.
Now i know its rollbacktime.
 Is the wifi icon in the picture a hint ?

Offline mrubbert

• Contributor
« Reply #411 on: December 28, 2017, 09:08:49 pm »
It do freeze for me to in that mode, i assume its no problem to delete it.

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #412 on: December 29, 2017, 12:45:00 am »
Looks like my router should be OK since Bud's has a similar signature!   :-+

Thanks again Bud for all your help! 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #413 on: December 29, 2017, 02:12:41 am »
Bud, just wanted to let you know it works like a charm!  :D

Thanks for the feedback !  :)

One thing that got me curious though.. on one of your screenshots of "Image Mode", you have a "video" symbol.
Also, in the settings, it asks how you want video compression (mpeg or radiometric).
Did you manage to get video working?

Sadly no, I could not get it working and the screenshot was from the time I was playing with it.
As to the setting in the Main Settings menu, I left it because was not sure if that may affect the way video may be transferred via USB or RTP, though at this time I could not get RTP (real time video over TCP) working. Also, I had some ideas for taking short video clips from the menu for Super Resolution processing purpose. But I have not gotten there yet.

...I did have to turn "Screening Mode" to ON in the settings menu.
After that, also Sport mode was visible. Not sure what the relation is, but one seemed to facilitate the other.

Hmm, this is interesting, never seen or noticed that. Not sure what to say.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:24:53 am by Bud »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #414 on: December 29, 2017, 02:17:03 am »
It do freeze for me to in that mode, i assume its no problem to delete it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tinkering with the liberated E4  :-+    Feel free to spend all of your free time playing with toolbar-config and design_ui.xml for the next week or two  ;)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #415 on: December 29, 2017, 02:20:40 am »
Without going back an reading 17 pages (I went back a few pages) can I go out and buy one off the shelf (amazon etc) and unlock it? I was aware of the hackability and then difficulty with non-wifi versions but I couldn't afford even the base camera then. Have hacks been released for all firmware versions of the E4 and E4 wifi to date? Thanks in advance!

Seems you have not read any of the posted pages, otherwise you would see this:

Advanced update package for E4 2.0L WiFi fw v3.9.0

This thread only has update for the above combination, but it's been reported that also works for 2.0L non-WiFi model
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:40:10 am by Bud »

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #416 on: December 29, 2017, 12:08:26 pm »
Looks like my router should be OK since Bud's has a similar signature!   :-+

Thanks again Bud for all your help!

LOL..  ;D

I see you're using the "three-point" preset I adjusted.  :)
I've been fiddling around with this preset to see if I could make it show the delta T value between the max and min measurements.
But I have not succeeded.. The only thing I managed to get is the delta T between the spot and max temp.

So, question to the smarter brains in this forum:
Maybe somebody knows how to get the delta T between minimum and maximum measured temperatures to show below, just like "preset_deltaSpot.rsc" and the "preset_deltaTemp.rsc" does?

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #417 on: December 29, 2017, 12:15:50 pm »

Sadly no, I could not get it working and the screenshot was from the time I was playing with it.
As to the setting in the Main Settings menu, I left it because was not sure if that may affect the way video may be transferred via USB or RTP, though at this time I could not get RTP (real time video over TCP) working. Also, I had some ideas for taking short video clips from the menu for Super Resolution processing purpose. But I have not gotten there yet.

Ah, so that's why the icon was there..  ;)

It would be an overly awesome feature to have, but maybe the model (despite your kick-@ss skill in hacking) would be hardware limited in this case..
I figure video mode would require the necessary processing power for it to work.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:19:13 pm by Squawk »

Offline theBigK

• Contributor
« Reply #418 on: December 29, 2017, 04:54:45 pm »
Just a heads up, perhaps coincidence or FLIR Is monitoring this page but the wifi version is on a national backorder until the 16th of January

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #419 on: December 29, 2017, 06:52:38 pm »
FLIR do monitor this forum and the upgrade related threads  ;)

Whether they would resort to ceasing supply of the E4 is another matter. I very much doubt they would take such action as they have not done so previously. The hacking of the camera is not popular with FLIR, but I understand they are not losing any sleep over it  ;D

E4 sales since the cameras release have been AMAZING !

Fraser   
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #420 on: December 29, 2017, 06:58:10 pm »
To be honest, I think the release of this 'hack' may even boost E4 (WiFi) sales more, for a people who otherwise may not buy it..

And FLIR can look the other way and gladly accept this boost..

win-win, right?  :D

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #421 on: December 29, 2017, 07:21:16 pm »
To be honest, I think the release of this 'hack' may even boost E4 (WiFi) sales more, for a people who otherwise may not buy it..

And FLIR can look the other way and gladly accept this boost..

win-win, right?  :D

Well.. If it costs them the same to manufacture the E4 as it would the E8, and not having to support/honor the voided warranty on the liberated E4, they would be very smart to sit back and collect the profit. 
Actually, what they really should do is send a bonus check to Bud for the boost in WiFi E4 sales!    :-+ :-+   :-+

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #422 on: December 29, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »
I personally do not think this caused any material change to the manufacturer. Since publising the Basic package it was downloaded only 250 times by now. Some people probably did it out of curiosity, so i think it may have been less than 200 units updated, which is nothing on the big scale of things.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #423 on: December 29, 2017, 08:22:33 pm »
Just a heads up, perhaps coincidence or FLIR Is monitoring this page but the wifi version is on a national backorder until the 16th of January

I am pretty sure it is going to be a new firmware version.

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #424 on: December 29, 2017, 08:30:27 pm »
Well.. If it costs them the same to manufacture the E4 as it would the E8, and not having to support/honor the voided warranty on the liberated E4, they would be very smart to sit back and collect the profit. 
Actually, what they really should do is send a bonus check to Bud for the boost in WiFi E4 sales!    :-+ :-+   :-+

LOL.. I'm sure that if they're watching and reading that message, they'll be rofl..  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf