Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436359 times)

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #450 on: January 06, 2018, 05:40:37 am »
Thanks Fraser for the detailed explanation.  :-+

Offline ryanbahr

« Reply #451 on: January 06, 2018, 02:14:05 pm »
Hey there Bud,

Thanks for all the hard work. I applied the basic and advanced packages. I may be doing something incorrectly (just got my first FLIR), but I believe I found a bug.

With the advanced package installed, if I select Object Distance from Image mode, whatever value I select seems to be multiplied by 3.33. If I select 0 ft, it is 0 ft, 1 ft = 3 ft, 10 ft = 33 ft, 2000 ft = 6562 ft.

Thank you others for the discussion on lens for PCB work, we hope to use one of these in a grad research lab.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #452 on: January 06, 2018, 02:38:39 pm »
Ryanbahr,

You might like to read through the FLIR E4 Useful Information thread that I started some time ago.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/

Best Wishes

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: ryanbahr

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #453 on: January 06, 2018, 02:59:43 pm »
With regard to the focus tool design. I own all available versions and personally like the design and fit of this tool:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:188896

It fits my cameras focus ring indents perfectly.

Fraser

Is the sizing of this thing in mm or inches?
I don't have a 3D printer and when I send it to Shapeways, it asks if it's in mm, cm or inches.
When I choose inches, it resizes to something that now becomes: X:3.296, Y: 3.158, Z: 3 cm.
Not sure if that is the right size..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:12:03 pm by Squawk »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: January 06, 2018, 04:32:11 pm »
With the advanced package installed, if I select Object Distance from Image mode, whatever value I select seems to be multiplied by 3.33. If I select 0 ft, it is 0 ft, 1 ft = 3 ft, 10 ft = 33 ft, 2000 ft = 6562 ft.

The distance seems to be in meters, i am a metric guy and my camera was set up for meters. Not sure what can be done to have automatic units conversion...
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: ryanbahr

Offline murdoc

« Reply #455 on: January 06, 2018, 05:25:50 pm »
Hello, i just upgraded my new E4 non wifi camera (2.0L, 3.9.0)
Amazing change!!
Thank you for your great work, Bud  :clap:

I dont understand to bitcoins, its possible some paypal donation?

Offline HappyHobbyist

« Reply #456 on: January 06, 2018, 09:32:07 pm »
Hello everyone, new member here.

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck or knows if a FLIR E4 Wifi - 2.0L HW (3.12.0 FW) can be upgraded.  In going through the forum it looks like it may be possible to load the 3.9.0 FW Markofq posted.  Then follow Bud's amazingly helpful instructions.

Would appreciate any insight.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:39:21 pm by HappyHobbyist »

Offline mrh

« Reply #457 on: January 06, 2018, 09:47:23 pm »
Hi All!  Bud - awesome job on this.  It took a little work to figure out the RNDIS and get my FTP going on a Windows 10 machine, but following your steps saved me from paying someone else to do it... and gave me a lot of personal satisfaction!

Thanks for your hard work!  I have the basic install all set up on my E4 2.0L v3.9.0 - and confirmed all is working.

I had a question for the mobile app (FLIR Tools) for the iPad - I now have the ability to try to open up the camera live as a remote viewer, but when I do that, it gives me the message that “video format not supported”.

I am connecting via the share option on the camera directly to the iPad. The other features (capture) work.  Any ideas?  Or is it something that is opened up in the advanced tools?  Thanks everyone!

Offline ryanbahr

« Reply #458 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:56 pm »
Hey bud,

Thanks for the meters suggestion. I personally don't mind either unit. I think its a firmware issue, I don't think it is intentional.

What happens is that if I set the object distance, it looks like the firmware internally converts it to meters. The next time you check the value, it seems to be the converted value.

It's hard to explain. I uploaded a video to show you how it acts. Setting the units to meters fixes everything though.

https://streamable.com/l7vuq

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline ryanbahr

« Reply #459 on: January 06, 2018, 11:48:09 pm »
With regard to the focus tool design. I own all available versions and personally like the design and fit of this tool:

Fraser

I don't have a 3D printer and when I send it to Shapeways, it asks if it's in mm, cm or inches.
When I choose inches, it resizes to something that now becomes: X:3.296, Y: 3.158, Z: 3 cm.

By default, stl files should be mm units from my experience.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2018, 02:26:43 am »
I am connecting via the share option on the camera directly to the iPad. The other features (capture) work.  Any ideas?  Or is it something that is opened up in the advanced tools?

I do not have an iPAD but in general IP streaming via RTP protocol does not seem to work with E4. Video capture (non radiometric) through USB works (I used VirtualDub software on a Windows machine). There is no difference basic vs advanced in this regard.

The following users thanked this post: mrh

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2018, 02:39:17 am »
What's the diameter of the lens?  Is 20mm optimal for 6" away from PCB?
I'm curious if the additional lens would provide a sharper picture than adjusting the existing lens.  Would you be able to post a pic of a PCB?  I'll do the same once I get to the shop.

Yes I used a 20mm lens with 3'' (76mm) focal length. Have not fired a board yet to test what image it will produce.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2018, 02:41:43 am »
Hello, i just upgraded my new E4 non wifi camera (2.0L, 3.9.0)
Amazing change!!
Thank you for your great work, Bud  :clap:

I dont understand to bitcoins, its possible some paypal donation?

Sadly it is only bitcoin option at this time but thanks anyway for your generosity!

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2018, 02:43:03 am »

This tool is on my next 3D job order list  :-+

Offline DanArBraz

« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2018, 10:51:34 am »
It works for me, windows 10, flir e4 2.0 non wifi with 3.9.

Looking after these focus tool!

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2018, 02:16:26 pm »
This pic of a computer motherbard was taken from 10” away after turning th E4 lens 1/4 turn counter-clockwise.  I believe i could have gotten better focus if I moved the camera slightly closer or farther away.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2018, 02:26:32 pm »
Cabny,

For info, you can focus the Ex series camera lens much closer than 10". The FLIR ETS320 dedicated PCB inspection camera uses the standard Ex series chassis and lens. It is factory set to focus at 70mm +-10mm. The lens appears to be approximately 2mm further out than when the camera is set for infinity focus. FLIR inserted two thin 'O' rings around the lens thread as spacers to hold the focus at the set position. See my ETS320 thread for more detail......

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-ets320-design-comment-and-improvements-by-fraser/msg1348459/#msg1348459

Adjustment of the lens enables imaging MUCH closer than 70mm. The downside is access. The head of the camera is relatively bulky so a PCB within an equipment can be a challenge for very close imaging. On the bench imaging is far simpler though.

The upgraded 320 x 240 pixel E4 makes a very capable PCB thermal profile imager but a tripod and tripod adapter do help to obtain stable images with excellent focus. The tripod adapters are available on Thingiverse for 3D printing. The advanced menu package that Bud has released also enhances the cameras usefulness for PCB inspection work.

Fraser 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:36:10 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: CABNY

Offline mrh

« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:52 pm »
Hey Bud,

Question: is there a way to just increase the resolution but leave everything else the same? I am more looking for the resolution than anything else.

When I got to step 12 and powered on the cam after the common_dll.dll insertion, resolution was upgraded, but it didn’t recognize the memory card until I finished steps 14-17.  Is there a way to stop there?  I’m taking an ITC course shortly and am not sure what they will think of my modded camera... (should I take it back to stock for the course?)

Thanks again! 

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
mrh,

Upgrading your camera is not illegal and ITC are well aware of this upgrade  ;D They will have seem many upgraded cameras. Just do not expect them to endorse the upgrade  ;) The upgrade does not impact upon the cameras calibration either.

Regarding the upgrade of the resolution only, that is your decision but be aware that the upgrade also switches off the dastardly false noise generator and so lowers the NETD of the camera to better than the E8 ! The upgrade also provides the addition of Zoom levels and thus can be useful 'in the field'.

Fraser

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2018, 09:17:06 pm »
Question: is there a way to just increase the resolution but leave everything else the same? I am more looking for the resolution than anything else.

You first need to install the DLL, then decrypt your config and change the resolution related lines, set Noise to zero, then re-encrypt the config, upload and cold reboot (with battery removal)

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2018, 11:07:32 pm »
First picture with factory set focus but from 12cm away (Otherwise you won't be able to see anything at all if any closer)
Second picture from 5cm away and focus turned (using the 3d-printed focus tool) one full turn counter-clockwise.
The large square chip in the middle is only 9mm wide!

This is truly amazing!   :-+
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:10:08 pm by CABNY »

The following users thanked this post: ryanbahr, randfee

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2018, 11:21:13 pm »
Cabny,

Good isn't it  ;D

If you look at the back of your hand with very close focus you will likely see pours of you skin in contrast to the skin around them  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:23:43 pm by Fraser »

Offline CABNY

• Contributor
« Reply #472 on: January 07, 2018, 11:30:06 pm »
Cabny,

Good isn't it  ;D

If you look at the back of your hand with very close focus you will likely see pours of you skin in contrast to the skin around them  :)

Fraser

Yes I did notice that!  and hair too!   ;D

Offline Squawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2018, 04:34:16 pm »

Fraser

By default, stl files should be mm units from my experience.

Thanks!
I'll let you know if you were right..  ;)

Offline theBigK

• Contributor
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2018, 08:38:35 pm »
Just got my Flir E4 Wifi in with 3.12 factory firmware installed, looking around for Flir 3.9 firmware, it's been taken down on the website and the links don't work from someone's upload

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf