Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436342 times)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #675 on: August 09, 2018, 02:16:51 pm »
FLIR Tools shows you the true IR resolution in the picture information box. Normal picture viewers state 320 x 240 pixel image size, even before the upgrade due to camera upscaling.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline eclipse84

« Reply #676 on: August 09, 2018, 02:44:13 pm »
Thanks Bud and Fraser.  They must have changed something.  I've redone the cfc twice and uploaded the dll twice now and I'm still stuck at 80x60.  The 3.12 does allow the camera to boot though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:47:56 pm by eclipse84 »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #677 on: August 09, 2018, 02:56:33 pm »
Make sure you delete the original dll and conf.cfc from the camera. Just renaming and leaving them there is not enough.

EDIT: you can check if the new config was loaded or not by checking if the camera still has MSX mode. It was seen before by others that the camera loses MSX if the config did not load at boot.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:00:34 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline eclipse84

« Reply #678 on: August 09, 2018, 03:03:21 pm »
That did the trick!  Version 3.13 is officially liberated!  Thanks Bud!

The following users thanked this post: Bud, jslashr

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #679 on: August 09, 2018, 03:40:49 pm »
Thanks for confirming! Did you load both Basic and Advanced options?

Offline eclipse84

« Reply #680 on: August 09, 2018, 04:05:30 pm »
I did just the basic options and everything seems to work.  I'm just using this to site check the houses I build, so nothing too fancy.

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #681 on: August 09, 2018, 10:25:59 pm »
So the indications are the camera manufacturer is not bothered by what is hapenning. Many thanks to them and hopefully this will last for the hext little while and let more people enjoy the technology  :-+

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #682 on: August 10, 2018, 12:10:38 pm »
It was a battle they lost long ago and the resources to prevent the upgrade were assigned for a good while. I suspect it will just be a case of the next generation cameras running Linux and a more secure configuration. FLIR have never told me that they were 'angry' about the upgrade. It revealed a security weakness in their cameras that needed to be considered in future. They did take some action to reduce the ease with which a camera may be upgraded and that appears to be enough to control the 'spread' of such activities and limits it to those brave enough to take the risk.

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:03:47 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #683 on: August 10, 2018, 01:35:05 pm »
Thanks for the note Fraser. It does make sence to tighten security in next generations and for "specialty" type of markets, in case of cameras getting in wrong hands.

Offline eclipse84

« Reply #684 on: August 10, 2018, 03:10:17 pm »
I was in the market for a camera, but I was pretty much set on buying a used one to get a better quality that was still in my budget.  If it wasn't for the upgrade, I would never have bought a new flir let alone an E4.  I only found out about this because of the eBay sellers.  I wasn't going to pay someone a $250-350 premium, just to modify and replace some files though. :wtf:

Offline mike1101

« Reply #685 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:20 pm »
I am new to the forum and am interested in learning about the E4 hack. I have not purchased the camera yet. is there anything to look for when buying an E4 that you plan to hack? is there a link to info to read prior to starting the process?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:27:46 pm by mike1101 »

Offline eclipse84

« Reply #686 on: August 10, 2018, 08:54:33 pm »
I just bought a new one off of Amazon.  It's pretty straightforward.  Just get the upgrade package version that matches your firmware.  Look at the previous page where my posts start for information on the latest firmware.  Just make sure you do a full backup first.  If you download the upgrade package, there are instructions included in there.  Take a look and see if it's something you feel like you can handle.  You don't need to be a computer genius to pull it off.  You just need to be able to handle some pretty basic command line and have a basic understanding of how to navigate a file system.

Offline samboman

« Reply #687 on: August 16, 2018, 06:24:20 am »
Hey y'all

I read this entire thread, all 28 pages, and I have a pretty good grasp of the upgrade process.

The issue is, I have an E6, and I cannot find anything regarding that (except warnings to NOT use this on anything but an E4).

Is there a similar thread for the E6? I haven't been able to find it, and would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction (Or maybe I'm just out of luck and the E6 can't be upgraded?)

The following users thanked this post: tcq1000

Offline DaveWBTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #688 on: August 16, 2018, 01:27:35 pm »
I helped a buddy do an E5 and the upgrade process was the same exact as the E4. Keep a backup, esp of your common_dll.dll and conf.cfc and you shouldn’t have any worries.

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
« Reply #689 on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:31 am »
Hey y'all

I read this entire thread, all 28 pages, and I have a pretty good grasp of the upgrade process.

The issue is, I have an E6, and I cannot find anything regarding that (except warnings to NOT use this on anything but an E4).

Is there a similar thread for the E6? I haven't been able to find it, and would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction (Or maybe I'm just out of luck and the E6 can't be upgraded?)

I am upgraded my E6 according to the E4 upgrade method two months ago. Unfortunately, E6 was completely bricked, and the thermal images disappeared. Fortunately, my camera was still under warranty, so I sent it back to FLIR and they repaired it for free. So, please don't do this before the E6 cracking method comes out. :palm:

Offline peppy88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #690 on: August 24, 2018, 08:11:08 pm »
Is there a way to add a custom palette? I know overwriting an existing .pal file would work but the thumbnail and label in the toolbar would not match. Which part of the file system is this information stored?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:15:40 pm by peppy88 »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #691 on: August 24, 2018, 09:07:55 pm »
It is hard coded in a dll or exe file, cant remember which one, and it may be one of those digitally signed files. Unlikely you can change it.

Offline ksilabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #692 on: August 24, 2018, 11:22:04 pm »
It is in XML menu that is pure text file so you can add whatever you want to it. Unfortunately in it put into applaunch.dat file with a CRC in the latest firmware and applaunch.dat is signed :( For the older versions, without applaunch.sgn (or whatever it is called) you can just copy your whatever.pal file to flashbfs and add a line to XML menu exactly like it is done for all other palettes. Not rocket science whatsoever...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #693 on: August 25, 2018, 01:44:38 am »
You have not tried that, have you.

Offline ksilabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #694 on: August 25, 2018, 06:59:50 am »
No, I haven't yet.

But now I can see, you can only use whatever is in facet_ui_qml.dll. There is more there than included in the menu and toolbar but choice is limited to whatever is there.

It probably could be circumvented with an external Qt resource file but that is not on my radar yet and I'm not a GUI/Qt programmer. I would like to add medical palette but that is very low on my list. The most wanted feature is working service menu and that's what I'm working on.

I'm not a Windows programmer either, have been with numerous Unix flavors for almost entire life.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #695 on: August 25, 2018, 08:39:29 pm »
I would like to add a few other palettes also but have found it just as good if not better to just create them outside the camera with post processing on the raw image. Using the raw image with Photoshop you can just create any gradient you want and apply it to the image.

Offline ksilabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #696 on: August 25, 2018, 09:16:33 pm »
You can still add whatever palette you want. It is just not possible to add it to the toolbar if it is not included in facet_ui_qml.dll.

Just look at flashbfs/system/appcore.d/factory.d/default_params.rsc where it loads iron.pal (or palette.rsc in flashfs/system/appcore.d/factory.d for older firmware.)

It might be also possible to add a different palette to a preset in a newer firmware (look at flashbfs/system/ui.d/presets/*.rsc.) I didn't try it -- lots of other things of higher priority -- but it might work. And if everything else fails it might be possible to just set .image.sysimage.palette.* resource branch with whatever you want using rset.

BTW, flashbfs/system/appcore.d/factory.d/ui_control.rsc reads MULTIPLE Qt external resource files by using "facet_*.rcc" and the same is true for menu design (" design_ui*.xml") that would probably allow adding additional properly named resource/menu design files with user elements.

I might be wrong but I have a strong gut feeling that those settings can be simply added to regular user config files...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #697 on: August 26, 2018, 05:37:23 am »
You can safely forget about adding a palette by simple editing a XML file. You can edit it as much as you want but the palette will never appear in the menu. As I said, palette names are hard coded in a dll or exe. Anything that is not hard coded there will not work. Period.

Offline ksilabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #698 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:30 am »
This is exactly what I said in my last message. It is not possible to just add it to the menu because menu IDs are not in the facet_ui_qml.dll.

That does not mean it is impossible to load a palette without menu.

It does not also mean it is impossible to hack that DLL to add whatever one wants and also add resources with additional .rcc files. But that is definitely not something regular user can do.

There is also a reason why Flir included those 2 XML files and big .rcc file to their signed applaunch.dat file in 4.13.0 (3 last lines) to prevent changes to those files.

Offline giovannirat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2018, 07:36:57 pm »
I own a Flir E4 1.2L (non WIFI model) with SW Release 2.11.0 (original, not hacked)

I read this thread several times, but there are still some questions open:

1) Should I upgrade to SW-Rel. 3.12.0 ? (Flir Tools offers this release...). Are there any significant advantages in comparison to 2.11. ?

2) I did the 2.11.0 update with FLIRInstallNet and the .fif file in the 2.11 update pack (eFLIRinstall didn't work under windows 10). It took nearly two hours to finish. Is there a faster method with an update pack?

3) In Bud's documentation for the update procedure for E4 is still mentioned "DO NOT USE....  OR CAMERAS OTHER THAN E4 2.0L". Is this still valid despite positive feedback about "liberating" a 1.2L camera from members (e.g. dandin87, reply #665) in this thread?

Sorry, if I missed something.

Thank you very much.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf