Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436314 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 06, 2021, 02:45:29 pm »
There must be an error somewhere in what you did. Also make sure only one copy of the config exists in the folder on the camera.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Marekx89

• Contributor
« Reply #1051 on: January 09, 2021, 06:48:58 pm »
Hello, i have updated FW one year, still is not possible sketch on Ex series ?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1052 on: January 09, 2021, 07:33:49 pm »
Using the sketch function would be limited by the lack of a touch screen on the Ex series. You could apply a ‘stamp’ and move it with the navi pad but not much else.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline randfee

« Reply #1053 on: January 09, 2021, 08:33:14 pm »
hi everybody and happy new year.

on my quest for a thermal cam (for private use) I've come across this thread with the option to 'upgrade' the FLIR E4xx  nice!
As far as I understand it should still be possible to update the latest iterations of firmware and hardware shipping right now.

Now I'm looking for a specific set of features and even after parsing through this awesome thread, I'm not sure the E4 would be for me. Some of the features I see here and there across the internet of people having applied this 'hack' seem to contradict each other in their 'feature' set.
  • Will any (current) E4 get the extended temperature range of up -20-550°C when applying these packages? I've read several times that the hardware never changed, but wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger if
  • Is there a way to save CSVs or any other file format with the actual temperature values as floats in them? This would allow for much simpler analysis
  • Since I don't have gotten my hands on the E4 before: how does one take an image? Does one have to press the pistol grip or does the modified menu offer something like an intervalometer where one can take one frame a second for instance?
  • I'm looking for a way to determine delta-temperatures in a static scene (camera mounted, nothing moves, just temperature changes). Thus, hitting a button to determine the reference image and for any further frame or live view subtracting the temperatures of the reference image in each pixel. Thus these dT images should be zero across all pixels. Whenever the temperature changes somewhere this would be drastically more visible and obvious then looking at images that barely change.
I guess some of the latter features might be possible using some PC software while connected via USB, like from joe-c here or even the FLIR one.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/freeware-software-for-thermal-analysis-thermovision_joec/msg949563/#msg949563

I'd appreciate any comment regarding this and would go ahead with my purchase of an E4.
For my usage I'd have to heavily modify the camera, as I also would have to look into a focusing mod (adjustable) and/or a macro lens. I guess I could manage to somehow mount this grip-style camera over a desk, since I don't know any alternative with this resulution at the price point.

thanks & happy new year! stay healthy!
Arnold

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:45:47 pm by randfee »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1054 on: January 10, 2021, 06:31:20 am »
Will any (current) E4 get the extended temperature range of up -20-550°C when applying these packages?

No.

Is there a way to save CSVs or any other file format with the actual temperature values as floats in them? This would allow for much simpler analysis

E4 can create so called radiometric JPG files which contain both the visual and thermal image. The thermal image is  made of pixels representing the measured temperature of the object. You can apply some formulas to them to convert to temperature values.

Since I don't have gotten my hands on the E4 before: how does one take an image? Does one have to press the pistol grip or does the modified menu offer something like an intervalometer where one can take one frame a second for instance?

You can press the trigger button on the grip, or you can set the (liberated) camera to time lapse mode , specifying a number of images to take and a time period  (there is a limitation of a few sec on the min time period) and the camera will take images automatically. Or you can connect the camera to a computer and control it via console commands and scripts. The latter did not receive much attention on this forum so information how to do it may be scarce. Likely there are application softwares that can do this sort of things but I am not familiar with them.

I'm looking for a way to determine delta-temperatures in a static scene (camera mounted, nothing moves, just temperature changes). Thus, hitting a button to determine the reference image and for any further frame or live view subtracting the temperatures of the reference image in each pixel. Thus these dT images should be zero across all pixels. Whenever the temperature changes somewhere this would be drastically more visible and obvious then looking at images that barely change.

You could use the Screening mode for that on the liberated camera.

The following users thanked this post: Narkoa, randfee

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1055 on: January 15, 2021, 01:47:36 pm »
I'm a happy owner of liberated e4 (non-wifi) with 3.16 firmware. Got my camera from ebay from a German seller. I'd like to share my experience, particularly things I've done wrong.

1. Flir tools != device drivers.
1. In VirtualBox I changed network address with `VBoxManage setextradata win10  "VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/Network"   "172.23.24/24"`, otherwise it would overlap with camera address.
2. In virtual box I had to set USB to mode 3.0. In mode 2.0 it couldn't pass through my camera.
3. Couldn't make network adapter to get IP address (got address like 169.xx.xx.xx). Disabled ipv6, and all other protocols, didn't help. However enabling/disabling network device helped me
4. I put suid instead of camera serial number :(. This one I didn't get right from instructions. Thanks to this thread I figured out the problem. As a result, instead of enhancing the camera, I got it half-broken (no crosshair, etc). *SUID != serial number*. I re-uploaded corrected configuration without problem, after that got all the missing features and resolution
5. Took free image of win10 from the Internet (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/)

Offline sky@eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #1056 on: January 16, 2021, 07:26:21 am »
Hello!

Anybody has experience with version 3.16.5 please? Got a replacement E4 wifi from flir service but forgot to ask them is it still hackable or does common_dll_3.16 works for it? So asking here ).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:45:28 am by sky@eevblog »

The following users thanked this post: Narkoa

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1057 on: January 16, 2021, 01:32:59 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I cannot help, but you have made me smile today  ;D Thankyou  :-+ I am not criticising your thought processes but you do know that FLIR are not exactly happy that people worked out how to upgrade their cheapest Ex series camera to a spec beyond the most expensive Ex model ? I have to wonder what their reply would have been if you had asked them if their camera was still hackable  :-DD

As I said, I am not criticising you but this did make me laugh..... the customer support representative would likely have been spitting feathers upon receiving such a question  ;D

From what I have read, all firmware versions may still be upgraded but I will leave it to others to detail what, if any, changes to upgrade files are needed  :-+

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:43:30 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: sky@eevblog, Narkoa

Offline rkrawetz

« Reply #1058 on: January 20, 2021, 06:39:55 pm »
Hello all,
First time posting after reading through the thread to try to find the fix to my issue, but no luck.
Just got an E4 3.16 2.0 WIFI and was attempting to install the basic package through the USB method.
Used the FIF method to switch the camera to RNDIS mode, but when I now try to connect the camera to the PC it says thermacam connect 3 cannot connect.
Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1059 on: January 20, 2021, 06:48:45 pm »
Used the FIF method to switch the camera to RNDIS mode, but when I now try to connect the camera to the PC it says thermacam connect 3 cannot connect.

I think I've seen it before, try disabling and enabling camera network adapter. I also read disabling ipv6 can help.

Offline rkrawetz

« Reply #1060 on: January 20, 2021, 07:11:07 pm »
Thank you very much for the advice.
Tried to disable/enable and also turn off IPv6. The computer recognizes it as a FLIR camera network device, but still cant connect. Here is the IPCONFIG info. I am using a win 10 computer. Do you think I should try to find an older one?

Offline rkrawetz

« Reply #1061 on: January 20, 2021, 09:17:46 pm »
Hi all,
was able to connect to the E4 by moving to a windows 7 pro computer and applying the disable/enable trick. Thank you EXE for the advice.

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1062 on: January 21, 2021, 09:25:08 am »
Yeah, I also had troubles getting reliable connection. At the end, I disabled all protocols except ipv4, and switching off and on network adapter got me reliable connection even on win10.

I think there can be a timing factor when to plug usb into camera. So, I switched off camera, disconnected usb, removed battery, then plugged battery, turned camera on, then plug usb, then toggle network adapter... If done in right sequence and right timing it worked pretty reliably (what weird definition of "reliability").

Offline charoy

« Reply #1063 on: January 26, 2021, 08:35:00 pm »
Can someone please help me which thread and how can I upgrade my flir e4 wifi version 2.0L and software 3.16.0. I dont know where I can download the flir device driver as well as flir tools. may you please send me a link. Appreciate your help

Offline Narkoa

« Reply #1064 on: January 27, 2021, 12:38:04 pm »
Hello,

Both are downloadable from Flir website, I assume you did  not search well enough :phew:.

Good luck with your update.

The following users thanked this post: charoy

Offline charoy

« Reply #1065 on: January 28, 2021, 01:20:02 am »
Hi Sirs,

May I ask your help please.

I am stuck on python. I followed step by step of Sir buds like replacing the ID # and geting the SUID and restart my virtual machine windows 7 after the installation of python but still I am unable to create the config.cfc  and config.cfg file.Appreciate your help. Please see attached file

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1066 on: January 28, 2021, 02:28:41 am »
Put the .py file into the folder where you have Python installed and run the command from there.

Offline charoy

« Reply #1067 on: January 29, 2021, 07:29:23 pm »
Hi EveryOne,

Good Day.

I would like to say thank you Sir Bud and the rest of the contributor for all the work you do for this community.
My Flir e4 wifi is now liberated

Offline Narkoa

« Reply #1068 on: January 30, 2021, 12:28:09 pm »
Hello,

Well done  :clap:!

You may now go further if you wish by using the advanced Bud's packages for additionnal features.
I tried to summarize the links to owners' topics here.

Have fun >:D

Offline charoy

« Reply #1069 on: January 31, 2021, 12:47:49 am »
Thank you Sir. I will try on this and post the result after.  :-+ :scared:

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1070 on: February 12, 2021, 01:46:30 am »
Thanks Bud and all others who helped with E4 hacking.
My new E4 is now also liberated. :D

Quick question i've not found by googling yet.
My E4 has wifi and I can see the html page it creates.

Other than the webserver and telnet, what else can be done over wifi?
Can it stream video somehow without needing USB?
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline natman69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1071 on: February 13, 2021, 09:45:20 am »
Hi,

I have an E4 with firmware 3.12.0.
Is it worth to upgrade to the latest 3.16.xx firmware version before applying the resolution enhancement "procedure"?
Which are the main differences in new firmware version? I can't find a firmware release note.

Thanks in advance

Offline beaglesd

« Reply #1072 on: February 21, 2021, 11:52:29 pm »
I'm going to order a new E4. Form below seems latest firmware 3.16.5? If hardware version same any guess whether this firmware version would work? Any hints to mod files if it's version 3.16.5. Alternatively are firmware downgrades generally possible to 3.16.0 then mod?

I'll report back after it arrives and I tried mod.

@sky did you try modding your 3.16.5?

Hello!

Anybody has experience with version 3.16.5 please? Got a replacement E4 wifi from flir service but forgot to ask them is it still hackable or does common_dll_3.16 works for it? So asking here ).

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1073 on: February 23, 2021, 10:09:56 am »
I'm going to order a new E4. Form below seems latest firmware 3.16.5? If hardware version same any guess whether this firmware version would work? Any hints to mod files if it's version 3.16.5. Alternatively are firmware downgrades generally possible to 3.16.0 then mod?

I got mine from Digikey 3 weeks ago and it was FW 3.16.0   
I doubt they sell so many that they have restocked since then.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:13:01 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline sky@eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #1074 on: February 25, 2021, 01:59:14 pm »
I confirm that common_dll 3.16 works fine with 3.16.5. At least in my case.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf