Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 438936 times)

Offline maicoalvim

Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #1075 on: March 04, 2021, 11:42:09 am »
Hi!  I bought an E4 camera last week, it is my first thermal camera, I am not the first owner of this E4.
The previous owner has already done the hack to have the specifications of the E8.  My camera is model E4 1.2l FW 2.11.0.  I would like to know if there is any improvement in FW beyond 2.11.0 and if it is possible to install but maintaining the functionality of the E8 camera.
Thanks all

Offline sky@eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: March 04, 2021, 03:23:43 pm »
Regarding E4 wifi with 3.16.5 from service.

Technician didn't take care to remove service files from the camera. It has web service menu and may be more. If someone (especially contributors to the forum)  needs the files for a reasonable purpose I am ready to share. PM me on this regard. With only condition not to put this for public access without removing serial numbers, dates, etc. which could lead back to me please.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:35:56 pm by sky@eevblog »

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: March 05, 2021, 01:32:11 am »
It has web service menu and may be more

That sounds exciting

:popcorn:
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline natman69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: March 12, 2021, 04:54:05 pm »
After reading this long thread, I have "liberated" my E4 non-WIFI 2.0L with upgraded software 3.16.0.

I am a grey hairs EE working in IT from decades and in free time I started to enjoy a lot learning again EE.
If I have understood how all this was possible:

1) common_dll.dll was patched to avoid checking the CRC of conf.cfc file
2) in conf.cfc file the settings that control resolution and noise are:
    IRwidth int32 320 (original E4 has 80)
    IRheight int32 240 (original E4 has 60)
    targetNoiseMk int32 0 (original E4 has 135)
3) all the rest is necessary to add menu and functions imported from Exx series

Correct?

I am impressed about how the various functions were "surgically" imported from Exx. Really a big big work.
I wish to thank you Bud and all forum fellow members for sharing their knowledge. Thank you! :-+

Offline maicoalvim

« Reply #1079 on: March 13, 2021, 10:33:01 pm »
Hello friends. I finally managed to update the menus on my E8 camera. But when I turn on the camera,  showing this alert. This is normal? thanks all

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: March 14, 2021, 06:59:07 am »
Yes this is normal.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: maicoalvim

Offline truetypezk

« Reply #1081 on: March 19, 2021, 03:06:51 pm »
I have an E4 non WIFI model (3.16.0) for a few months and the hack went through effortlessly thanks to the great resources here on the forum.

I just bought another E4 WIFI model (Date dec 2020 on 3.16.0) last month, trying to mod it for many times yet can't even get the enhanced resolution.

I have successfully replaced the dll file, booted up fine. Changed the conf.cfg, converted it using the SUID, copied it back and the system booted up to the old 80*60 resolution every single time.

Since this is a WIFI model, my first instinct was to FTP it via WIFI to replace the files. After trying and failing for many time, I gave up and turned off the WIFI and used the old RNDIS way, which not surprisingly failed to work again. (I didn't feel the method of connection would affect the outcome but tried it anyway since I was out of other options)

I tried the conf files in all 3 packages yet not a single one works to give me the enhanced resolution.

I wonder if I am missing something or is there any way to troubleshoot what has gone wrong? Many thanks in advance!

----
edit: Woops, found the answer from victorhooi's post and Bud's answer. We have the exact same issue. Just delete the original cfc file did the trick. This is so weird as the non-WIFI version worked fine with the original cfc filename changed. Fiddling around myself for hours doesn't beat some careful research on the forum apparently |O
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:31:27 pm by truetypezk »

Offline maicoalvim

« Reply #1082 on: March 19, 2021, 03:42:48 pm »
did you delete the original .cfc file?  but you backed it up, correct?  If you lose that original .cfc file, you will no longer be able to return the original software from it.  I made that mistake.  I sent my camera to Flir to make a diagnosis.  now i'm waiting for a response from them to know how much it will cost me to restore the original software.

I have an E4 non WIFI model (3.16.0) for a few months and the hack went through effortlessly thanks to the great resources here on the forum.

I just bought another E4 WIFI model (Date dec 2020 on 3.16.0) last month, trying to mod it for many times yet can't even get the enhanced resolution.

I have successfully replaced the dll file, booted up fine. Changed the conf.cfg, converted it using the SUID, copied it back and the system booted up to the old 80*60 resolution every single time.

Since this is a WIFI model, my first instinct was to FTP it via WIFI to replace the files. After trying and failing for many time, I gave up and turned off the WIFI and used the old RNDIS way, which not surprisingly failed to work again. (I didn't feel the method of connection would affect the outcome but tried it anyway since I was out of other options)

I tried the conf files in all 3 packages yet not a single one works to give me the enhanced resolution.

I wonder if I am missing something or is there any way to troubleshoot what has gone wrong? Many thanks in advance!

----
edit: Woops, found the answer from victorhooi's post and Bud's answer. We have the exact same issue. Just delete the original cfc file did the trick. This is so weird as the non-WIFI version worked fine with the original cfc filename changed. Fiddling around myself for hours doesn't beat some careful research on the forum apparently |O

Offline truetypezk

« Reply #1083 on: March 20, 2021, 02:41:26 pm »
Yeah I have saved a copy of all the original files. That's kind of natural for someone who prefer to change the original filenames rather than simply deleting them. ;D

Offline Ribster

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
« Reply #1084 on: March 28, 2021, 11:39:35 am »
When i load this onto my E4 WiFi version 3.16.0 i get the following:
(I am using the 3.16 common_dll)

- Flir logo boots
- I see the thermal view, but without menu
- The blue loading bar goed past the middle, and then the screen goes black
- Loadbar keeps progressing, eventually shuts down

Restoring the dll to the original version gives me back original functionality.
Any idea's ?

Got it working. Had an issue where i copies the files in the FS folder instead of the BFS folder for the basic version.
then the config file could not find the files that it required causing the issue!
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Offline Djsajmy

« Reply #1085 on: May 07, 2021, 03:02:33 pm »
Is there a way to display a custom message / info on boot? Changing the boot logo or adding text to the message after boot?

Was not able to find a simple way to do that.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #1086 on: May 07, 2021, 07:54:35 pm »
Is there a way to display a custom message / info on boot? Changing the boot logo or adding text to the message after boot?

Was not able to find a simple way to do that.

The boot logo is just a standard bitmap in the file system. Replace it.

Offline Djsajmy

« Reply #1087 on: May 08, 2021, 07:50:56 am »
That bmp is never used... And replacing it does zero.

Offline tcq1000

• Contributor
« Reply #1088 on: June 13, 2021, 01:43:18 pm »
I read a lot of posts, still not sure, can give guidance.

My machine is FLIR E4 2.0L 3.12. Do you follow the steps of 2.3.0( https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/ ), using the 3.12 file?

(https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1397359/#msg1397359)

Offline Oda

« Reply #1089 on: June 24, 2021, 03:09:53 am »
Hello Gents!

I'm ready to purchase an E4 Wifi either thru Global Test Supply (tie up with ITM) or Amazon but leaning heavily on the former for its cheaper price ($894 inc. shipping and 90-day return). Just hoping to get one with the latest firmwares especially 3.16.0 or perhaps 3.12.0 whichever...still 3.12 mod either way. A gazillion thanks to Bud just the same!

I don't have access to a Win7 32-bit machine. My rig is a Win10 64-bit Home edition with ethernet and wireless capability.

My questions:

1. Can this modding be done solely on a Win10 64-bit platform without the hit or miss? I've read Monolith was able to do so in post #255.
2. Should I go with a Wifi or USB connection?
3. Which version of PuTTy shall I use?
4. Will the basic modding, change the E4's thermal sensitivity and object temperature range to    <50mk and 1,022°F? Never seen any affirmation nor confirmation about these specs in this thread beside the resolution euphoria.

I've never done these things before but I've been around since the days of PCTools, Norton Utilities, C-Brain and Ping-Pong virus, to say
the least. Right now I'm just trying to piece everything together and trying to understand how this modding methodology works.

Your time and patience in helping out this non-nerd will really be much appreciated.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: June 25, 2021, 11:56:27 am »
My questions:

1. Can this modding be done solely on a Win10 64-bit platform without the hit or miss? I've read Monolith was able to do so in post #255.
2. Should I go with a Wifi or USB connection?
3. Which version of PuTTy shall I use?
4. Will the basic modding, change the E4's thermal sensitivity and object temperature range to    <50mk and 1,022°F? Never seen any affirmation nor confirmation about these specs in this thread beside the resolution euphoria.

1) yes, I used win10 64bit to do mine
2) I used USB
3) I used 0.70 but it should not matter at all
4) I don't know, sorry

Just make sure you backup all the files that can be copied off (not all files can be and that is ok, some files give ftp errors, just make sure your ftp client skips and keeps going when it hits a bad file. You want a copy of all files that can be copied)
Once you have a backup, zip it up and put it somewhere safe.
Part of the hack process involves changing files on your local PC and the uploading. It would be bad if you made a backup and then, in your excitement, started to edit the files and patch the backup.
So keep the backup and working folders separate.

Also make sure you read through and understand the process listed in the readme files before starting.
Take it one step at a time and pay attention to what you're doing so you dont make a mistake.
Read the forum posts and find someone who has done it successfully with the same FW version you have. They often post info about what they did and what files they used.

The actual process is pretty easy, it doesn't take long, but you must not edit the wrong files or delete something you shouldn't.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:05:59 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EthanSpitz

« Reply #1091 on: July 17, 2021, 09:06:37 am »
Awesome work Bud!

I just bought a second hand FLIR E4 1.2L Non-Wifi that had 2.11.0 software installed. After about 3 hours of struggling (figuring out that I needed FLIRInstallNet.exe from the FLIR Tools and also figuring out that it would take about 3 hours to actually let it upgrade the firmware), I got upgraded to version 3.16.0 and to the point where I could start the liberation! That took about all of an hour, including all the time I was playing with every feature it had in each basic, advanced, and christmas pack modes, as well as backing up each mode individually to allow me to more easily swap between versions if I desire to.

If you could please verify your current crypto addresses so I can send you something that would be great. I don't want to send some crypto to a blackhole!

Also, if you or anyone else in this thread knows, I noticed in the Christmas and advanced packs, the "Hot Spot" and "Cold Spot" measurement modes limit their area to a box in the center of the screen. In the basic pack, the "Hot Spot" and "Cold Spot" Measurement modes use the full screen. I'd like to use the full screen for those "basic" measurement modes and then use the User Presets to do more advanced layouts of measurement if I need them. It just seems like a bummer that there isn't a full screen "Hot Spot" and "Cold Spot" preset anymore.

I'm feeling pretty comfortable hacking around on this thing now, so I'll probably start diffing some of the files and see if that's something I can enable myself, but if there's a built in setting I'm not seeing or if anyone knows how already, I'd love the tip!

Best,
Ethan
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:23:41 am by EthanSpitz »

The following users thanked this post: davith

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: July 17, 2021, 11:13:54 pm »
Many thanks, Ethan!
The crypto addresses are valid. In regards to the measurement templates, you can simply replace the ones for Cold/Hot Spot ones with the corresponding ones from your backup - look them up in your archive by file names ( i do not have the exact file path handy).

The following users thanked this post: gizzmonic, EthanSpitz

Offline EthanSpitz

« Reply #1093 on: July 23, 2021, 01:33:26 am »
Thanks Bud! I'll give it a shot! Enjoy the ETH!

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1094 on: August 29, 2021, 01:41:48 am »
Just picked up a 2nd hand E4 2.0L  3.13.0 , he bought it to find a roof leak in his warehouse for storing classic cars .
From most of the adds I've seen for new & used , this one did come with Flir case USB cable , but no CD or wal-wart , looks brand new .

Not familiar with computer language , programing so a lot of this looks as a new language ;)
With all the posts / threads , it's getting hard to find specific stuff , Fraser led me to Bud --- thanks to both for all the work .
I did read somewhere that there was multiple upgrades ,some had many new icons in the menu , so looking to see if there is a list of the add functions ?
Guessing I would be fine with minimal upgrade higher grade picture .
But would like to know what I may not want ?

My main interests are for heating / cooling loss construction , diagnostics with electrical I do board work mainly from the ham radio hobby [ I like idea of getting more out the the hobby by finding gear I like that is broken , learning how to fix and then operate , rather than just buy off the shelf ] .

Then my illness of what I call a TOOL-JONES ;) 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1095 on: August 29, 2021, 07:31:01 pm »
See post #478 in this thread. You will need the first 2 attachments from that post.  You do not need the "advanced" package based on your requirements.

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: August 30, 2021, 05:47:56 pm »
Thanks again for your efforts .

BUT ;)
What about my TOOL-JONES ;(
A link to the list of the advanced features , to see what I am missing / buy more than I need - a serious TOOL-JONES ;)

Now to apply to my tool , hopefully not brick it - my logic many time does not match lots of computer versions of logic ?

I was asking on another thread if someone [ do not trust eBay sources , let along the cost ] here does remote upgrade , suggestions .
I mostly do not work for free , so would expect to pay for a service , try to turn down free - except on the free section on craigslist - get lot of goodies there .
Thanks again

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1097 on: August 30, 2021, 08:38:17 pm »
What is TOOL- JONES?  :-//

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1098 on: August 30, 2021, 09:52:58 pm »
Adiction

basketball jones

tool-jones

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1099 on: August 31, 2021, 03:12:32 pm »
You can review screenshots in replies #390 to #401.

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf