Author Topic: Flir E40 opportunity  (Read 5515 times)

Offline eKretzTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Flir E40 opportunity
« on: June 05, 2018, 03:19:50 am »
I'm not super familiar with these cameras but have wanted one for a while. I just caught wind of an opportunity to buy a Flir E40 for about $400. Is this as great a deal as it seems? Comes with hardcase, paperwork, manuals etc. Did some googling and this appears to be an earlier model with the separate arrow keys instead of the square directional pad.

Offline hyprfrcv

• !
Re: Flir E40 opportunity
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 03:22:48 am »
Do you have the exact model? Only with that you should have a good reference.

Offline SmartInfrared

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:33:36 am »
Great price if it is E40  :D, though the product has been discontinued.
Welcome to join in the Infrared Camera group in Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InfraredCamera/

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:24:12 am »
Definitely a good buy - go for it. Even the older Exx models crush the Ex series in terms of performance.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 12:11:45 pm »
Amazing price ! Just make sure it is fully operational and has provenance. Stolen property never becomes your property so do check its background story.

Any E40, no matter which version is worth every penny of $400 ! That price is actually 'too cheap' for such a camera on the current market. Hence my suggestion that you do your best to check that it is not missing from someone's inventory !  I paid £1200 for a mint 'as new' example from a company that no longer needed it. That was a very good deal for me in the UK market. E40's are easy to upgrade to E60+ specification.

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:13:58 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 02:01:57 pm »
I found it through a friend - it's from someone local who owned a home inspection company that is retiring and moving out of state. No worries about it being stolen. He texted me some pictures and this one appears to be the model with the flip up plastic port covers. Also said everything works perfectly. I told him I would take it, so I'll update after I've picked it up.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 03:51:20 pm »
Excellent news .... you got yourself a genuine bargain there :)

The model you describe appears to be the Mk1 version 2. It is an excellent camera and contains the full service menu that enables you to correct any dead pixels, should they ever occur. The service menu also provides the calibration options and all manner of other useful "stuff" :)

Well done for getting such a bargain.

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:20:38 pm »
Just got lucky I guess. This gentleman isn't very computer savvy and just wanted to make a local sale. I probably got lucky on the price being that it's a friend of a friend situation. Looking forward to checking out the upgrade capabilities. I've done a bit more googling and it looks like it will be a great camera. I just saw that there's plenty to read now in a thread or two here on the EEVblog as far as upgrading too. I think this version has the wifi capability, doesn't it?

Online DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »
Are not sure where this one falls in line, but can sense its an older model..
But the E40 (reckon a newer rev) 160x120 still goes for sale here in Scandinavia < Denmark from Pro instruments.
Cost a little over 7000 USD- (42,150 DKK)
https://www.pro-instruments.dk/flir-e40-termokamera.html

But yeah strong price, it reminds me of a Flir Thermacam EX320 that I missed around a year ago with casing and all equipment, though one of the 2 batteries was not that good, the unit had numerous signs of use, but not on any vital parts.
It was a purchased-now-auction and costed around 300USD and around the same as my budget for an Seek pro..
But was completely newbie and before I have validated big and small and gone thru numerous reviews etc and convinced myself that it was an attractive deal and something I could use' - the unit was sold.(but nahh' thats me in a nutshell)
Have tried to find the listing on ebay,to show in full, but not sure of they deleting close to 1-year-old listings from adv. searches as it was back in fall 2017.
But great bargain an E40 at 400bucks... give some picture-examples when it arrives. in the thermal EEV gallery thread..

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 07:11:44 pm »
Sure will. Looking forward to picking it up. Should have it on Friday.

Offline Devov

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 06:04:50 am »
The prices of the discontinued FLIR EXX series has been fluctuating a lot recently on amazon.  There are good deals to be had.  I picked myself up an E40 15-degree lens, and flir-tools for ~$1.6k.  I'll be trying to unlock the full E60 hardware capabilities.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:46:46 am »
Devov,

That is an amazing deal, well done. The 15 degree lens and FLIR Tools on their own cost that sort of money  :)

It is always nice to find a bargain. I know I was very pleased to find an 'as new' E40 MK1.1 for £1200 but your deal is even better. I see other sellers are still asking $3K to $4K for an E40MK2 MSX.

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 12:08:48 am »
Picked mine up today. Offered $300 because the gull wing doors are missing and there's a small scratch on the display. Guy said he broke the gull wings off because they were always in the way and irritated him! The brute.   |O. But he accepted! Everything else looks great and the camera functions perfectly. It seems to have a full rubber surround cushion case on it and a slightly larger focus ring and lens cover than the originals. Looking forward to getting it upgraded after I do some more reading.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:14:28 am »
One more, lens looks pristine.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 12:50:50 am »
First few trial shots pre-upgrade. Kids are getting a serious kick out of it.

Offline Devov

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 01:36:39 am »
That's great.  I hope to have my little sister and 90 year old retired boss (with a science/spectroscopy background) playing with mine soon.  I've goofed around with the old Flir One before, but it only gets like 5-10 frames/second limits the use and fun.  I've tried to do some science with it before, was kinda playing at pulsing a laser at one side of the sample and recording the temperature on the opposite side with the camera, determining thermal diffusivity converting to thermal conductivity using the heat capacity.

I've had my eyes on an A35sc A65sc or e40sc for a while, but I'm very happy to get this unit at this price.  I'll probably try to find a 45 degree lens soon.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 08:46:31 am »
I'm sure they will have as much of a blast with it as we do, haha. Just finished tweaking in some upgrades, got my resolution up in e60 land - looking much better. Here's a before and after of a rabbit I found roaming in my back yard. Can hardly tell it's a rabbit in the first pic, what an improvement! Many thanks, kudos and much respect to the guys that did the hard work on this crack.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:48:16 am by eKretz »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 10:20:55 am »
Most, if not all, of that additional rubber protection is removable.

With regard to the gullwing doors, they are quite fragile so FLIR changed them to rubber covers on later models. FLIR still provides the rubber cover upgrade doors as a spare part for fitment on earlier models. The bad news is that they will cost you around $150.

The scuff on the screen is a pity but provided the touch screen is not actually damaged, all should be well. You could buy a decent matte screen protector as that may well conceal the scuff mark and provide protection against further damage. Good screen protectors use a thin gel coating to adhere to the original screen and this gel can mask scratches so may work with a scuff mark as well.

You did very well indeed at $300 :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:32:14 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: eKretz

Offline LesioQ

• Regular Contributor
  • Every king should be naked.
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 10:29:55 am »
I'm sure they will have as much of a blast with it as we do, haha. Just finished tweaking in some upgrades, got my resolution up in e60 land - looking much better. Here's a before and after of a rabbit I found roaming in my back yard. Can hardly tell it's a rabbit in the first pic, what an improvement! Many thanks, kudos and much respect to the guys that did the hard work on this crack.

This sounds like fake ! What kind of rabbit would be waiting still for You to upgrade ?  :-DD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »
 :clap:  LOL, he wasn't waiting, he (she?!) lives in my backyard. There are several living in my yard actually - it might not even have been the same rabbit - I have about 2 acres of land right smack in the middle of the city, and my yard is completely surrounded by about a 40 foot wall of 50 foot tall old growth pines. There are quite a number of animals out there at any given time. I have had a family of foxes several different years, and plenty of others - deer, about a million birds, squirrels, groundhogs, etc.

Re: the gull wing door replacements - I'm contemplating making my own. I was a machinist and toolmaker for quite a few years until a disc in my back ruptured. Now I can't do a whole lot of that type of work anymore unless I do it a little bit at a time. I took the rubber armor off but I actually kind of like it, so I put it back on. I did find the original focus ring and lens cover in the hardcover box though - I put those back on. The larger version was nice as far as getting hold of it a little easier but it blocks the visible light camera a bit and makes the pictures look awful. That is a very good idea on the screen protector. I will look around - I think the little woman has some spares around here somewhere that I could trim to size. Happily the scratch is only cosmetic.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 02:21:19 pm »
If you need pictures of the gull wing doors for fine detail, let me know and I will take some pictures.

Fraser

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 04:53:58 pm »
Good grief, $300 for an E40 is a killer deal! For that much your best bet would probably be a used Seek Compact Pro, and even that retails for $500.
I might get around to releasing my additional hack soon, should be helpful :)

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
I am really jealous. What you got there is a steal - I hope you enjoy it. The only bargins I get offered are from this forum but only partial units and not a working handheld camera.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 06:48:26 pm »
If you need pictures of the gull wing doors for fine detail, let me know and I will take some pictures.

Fraser

That would be helpful, thanks. The area where the covers latch especially, I was wondering if they just use the flex of the cover or if there's a spring loaded latch.

And thanks fellas, I am absolutely chuffed with this deal, it has worked out fantastically. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. After finishing up my upgrades last night I had an awfully big smile on my face.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 07:32:24 pm »
The catches are actually quite complex. The side covers are (IIRC) metal and the spring loaded sliding catches are nylon. Each cover has a rubber gasket seal that mates with the gasket around the ports. The release catches are quite hard to operate and apparently can break easily if forced. This is likely why FLIR came up with an upgrade to the more robust rubber friction fit covers that hinge at the leading edge, rather than the top. I will sort out some pictures soonest.

Fraser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf