Author Topic: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration  (Read 169209 times)

Offline simclardy1

Re: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2015, 01:19:56 am »
Tomas123, it is the "E30_B 1.1" made in 2012. I had originally called Flir about a problem with viewing captured pictures on the unit so they had me update the software (this did not help). I don't remember which version it was. Now I have 2.23.14. Thanks to you guys I can preview my pictures......AND VIDEO!
One more "shout out"  there is a utube video by pspgamr that helped me understand some of the computer stuff, like, using FTP and the command prompt commands. It's not exactly the path I took, but does help. here is the link https://youtu.be/oXJYv_MxIHw

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »

ok, it's an old Exx P/N:490xx without the MSX feature

this is your firmware
http://80.77.70.144/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=127

Offline simclardy1

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2015, 09:10:08 pm »
yeah that's what I have. Tomas, what computer language is the config.cfg file in? just curious.
And, would you expect my bluetooth and wifi to work?

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2015, 11:52:10 pm »
This is no language, only a config file

There are different hardware versions of E30

But user funzt send a feedback of success (bluetooth and wifi)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg336470/#msg336470

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg336470/#msg336470
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:57:09 pm by tomas123 »

Offline simclardy1

« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2015, 11:13:37 am »
my bad. I was trying to use "wifi device" I needed to use "wlan" and then go into settings. Long story short, it works, I was just not setting it up right. I am guessing bluetooth works but have not tested.
cheers

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2016, 06:40:07 pm »
If anyone knows the brand of Bluetooth / wlan adapter used in the Exx series please post it. It's tough to gather all the information on Exx upgrades but this post covered a lot of the little differences pretty good. I have a 2013 e30bx updated to a e60 with all the extras but no bluetooth or wifi because the hardware is not in the later built models.

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2016, 02:57:11 am »
Hi, I have put my "strip down" images of my E30 on imgur, sorry they are not great quality, I just snapped them with my phone to aid reassembly.  http://imgur.com/a/tn8aF  you should be able to see the wireless module/PCB , it's buried pretty deep in the camera and will require almost total strip down to get to.
sky@eevblog also made a zip file of the images here  http://imgur.com/a/tn8aF/zip

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2016, 02:23:20 pm »
it's impressive how many parts used Flir for the Exx series compared to the new generation Flir One with Lepton chip

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2016, 03:01:32 pm »
Hi, I have put my "strip down" images of my E30 on imgur, sorry they are not great quality, I just snapped them with my phone to aid reassembly.  http://imgur.com/a/tn8aF  you should be able to see the wireless module/PCB , it's buried pretty deep in the camera and will require almost total strip down to get to.
sky@eevblog also made a zip file of the images here  http://imgur.com/a/tn8aF/zip
Great photos. Thank you for sharing.  :-+

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2016, 03:38:56 pm »
tomas123
>>
it's impressive how many parts used Flir for the Exx series compared to the new generation Flir One with Lepton chip
 <<

I would put it more as to that is how many more parts you need to make a free standing camera as opposed to a sensor drive PCB which is all a FLIR One is.  The only surprise to me was the use and amount of discrete cable looming. 

Looks a nice F antenna design used for the wifi unit

The double skin on the camera allows the antenna to sit outside the EMC box and inside the environmental box.

Bill

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2016, 04:00:16 pm »
Flir E30 49001-1801 Serial # 492xx Success Report

Successfully updated the IR resolution, VIS resolution and E60 menu functions. :-)

Just a biit surprised, that the cam saves image files without the vis picture if not in thermal fusion or pip mode.
This is a slight discomfort as it prevents any Tools MSX conversion of the picture.

Also the 492xx cameras seem to miss the cmmunications board so wifi and bluetooth could not be enabled.

If anybody could confirm that the lack of the of the slbwver hw component really means the physical absence of the communications modul, it could save me from further investigation. ;-)

If anybody needs help with patching his Exx, you'll be welcome.

Cheers
hikanio

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2016, 09:13:43 pm »
Yea I try to take pictures in both thermal and thermal fusion so that if I want to use msx in flir tools that I have that option but the msx conversion is sometimes not very good and regular thermal looks better, I bought flir tools + and it makes no difference.

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2016, 09:22:26 am »
How to find out, if my E30 49001-1801 is physically missing it's wlan/bluetooth modul?

As far as I understood from other postings the absence of the hw component "slbwver" is the indicator that something is missing.

In my service menu I can see that instead of any Part #, revision # and Serial # there is only an asterisk "*" in the slbwver row.

But... in the EEPROM Menu you can actually set these components manually so the absence of the slbwver data is not enough proof for me that this component is physically absent.
In theory it might be just not enabled. (Yeah I know, whishful thinking, but the hope dies last ;-) )

Edit: In the Power-On Test Log a related interesting entry shows up: "slbwver rev *, serial * detected"

Has anybody played around with these settings yet?

Cheers
Hikanio
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:34:13 pm by hikanio »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2016, 03:46:12 pm »
from my E40:

Code: [Select]
http://192.168.64.1/SysInfo.asp

Camera
Name Part # Serial # Date
FLIR E40 49001-2001 490xxxx 2012-12-22

Hardware
Name Part # Revision # Serial #
mainboard T198133 01 19xxxxx
slbwver T197877 04 19xxxxx
sliover T197713 13 19xxxxxx

and the registry entry
Code: [Select]
\>rls -l
.version.hw.slbwver: (3)
rw--r---r----- 0 root   root   <a> article                "T197877"
rw--r---r----- 0 root   root   <a> revision                    "04"
rw--r---r----- 0 root   root   <a> serial                "19xxxxx"

PS: Don't edit your EEPROM!

for E4
The unlock password is 1235.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2016, 08:33:29 pm »
while googling for your E30 hardware, I saw, that you posted also here ;-)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e30-config-and-specs/

to your question:

A sample for another hardware revision of E30 with ID 490xxxxx

Upgrading E30 to E8 including resolution upgrade.

I had with an E30, I successfully upgraded  it to an E60, using all the available hardwares, including “Camera”, Flash Light for illumination, 320x240 resolution with full frame buffer, WiFi, Bluetooth,  Video Recording, and even the name of it is E60 instead.

To use the full potential of the unit, take the cove of the laser off and make wholes where the Flash light and Camera are located, it is hidden beneath it.

and this user used an external bluetooth stick
Hi,

For those of you with an E30(bx) (not E4) PN 40xxx-xxxx with firmware 2.23.14, you can add Bluetooth by :
- Adding a cheap USB bluetooth dongle (there's the bluetooth USB driver in the OS), see the attached picture
- Modify the \FlashFS\system\services.d\config.d\conf.cfg to enable Bluetooth :

--------------------
#
# Appservices wlan configuration
#
.caps entry
.caps.config entry
.caps.config.name text "srvs E60"
.caps.config.revision text "0.10"
.caps.config.wlan entry
.caps.config.wlan.enabled bool true
.caps.config.bluetooth entry
.caps.config.bluetooth.enabled bool true
# ID 49xxxxxx
# CRC01 xxxxxxxx
--------------------

And voila it should work. I say it should because I don't have any MeterLink compatible device to test. But it shows the Bluetooth icon, allows me to turn it off/on and the LED pattern on the Bluetooth dongle changes accordingly, and I can start a scan.
The Bluetooth feature allows you to link some MeterLink compatible meters to add data directly into the IR images OSD (current, humidity, ...). http://www.extech.com/meterlink/

About Wifi ? Well I found out that the chipset used must be 88W8688 (it's a combination bluetooth/wifi chip).
The bad news is that it's SDIO only, which means a module most be soldered onto the PCB. I didn't open the camera yet but I suspect the module is not there (or if it's there it's disabled either by hardware of software).

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2016, 08:54:29 pm »
How to find out, if my E30 49001-1801 is physically missing it's wlan/bluetooth modul?

here you find a full teardown of an E30

Looks a nice F antenna design used for the wifi unit

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2016, 05:45:08 am »
Yes, that last picture is what is tempting me to add the SLBW component to the EEPROM. The data on the sticker is that what is entered in the component record...
I still have serious doubts that Flir really set up a different production line just to exclude this cheap little piece of hardware.

It looks I have the following options

1. Wait until somebody takes his E30 180-1 SN 492xx apart or has an x-ray machine to look into it.

2. See if I can find a windows CE component that lists the connected hardware.

3. Take my own camera apart or just manually set the EEPROM records.

But for now I am still too chicken to try the third option ;-)

And for the reason I'd like to have the wlan functionality? :
I'd prefer Flir tools on Android without the cable as a remote display for the camera.

Thanks for you help so far Tomas :-)

Cheers
Hikanio
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:43:19 am by hikanio »

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2016, 09:48:38 am »
Just another experiment:

can sombody with an Exx including wlan please post a thermal picture of the cameras head from above (after operating for a while to warm up its guts) , because the hole for the wlan antenna should leave a distinct thermal signature through the rubber casing.

Just like the picture I took this morning below. (sorry for the quality, my second cam is a Flir C2 only ;-) )
Perhaps the diffenrence can tell me somethng more about the presence of that antenna or even a difference in the casing.

Cheers
Hikanio

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »
Just an interesting observation on "enabling" MSX on my non-MSX E30 models.

Using the two lines in conf.cfg (appcore):

.caps.config.image.framegrab.fusion.hcf entry
.caps.config.image.framegrab.fusion.hcf.enabled bool true

shows the MSX function in the Camera menu  but only displays a visible cam picture (Tomas123 mentioned this somewhere before).

It still might be be helpful as it does show the visible picture in the same FOV as the thermal image and it can also show the tools on top of the picture.
I.e. you can see the hot/cold markers of a box on the visible picture.

When saving the picture from this mode, it is stored like a "real" MSX picture and what I found quite surprising is if you display the picture in "play" mode, it is already the "real" MSX picture and displayed as such. :-)

So the camera does obviously have all the software for creating these MSX pictures, but for now it just doesn't display the picture in realtime.

Cheers
Hikanio

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2016, 08:31:19 pm »
From speaking with my contact at flir, I was told that it is the hardware that prevents you from using MSX on older models. The newer versions have a better image processor, which enables realtime MSX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2016, 09:17:17 pm »
I can confirm this "crippled MSX" feature with old Exx hardware.

I found my old post ;)
If you have a Exx without MSX (year 2012) you can activate the MSX menu but you only see a live real image on the LCD.
If you take a picture, then you save a normal MSX jpg on your SD card.

I think, the MSX code is embedded in the windows CE binaries but not in the fpga code.

You can take PiP images and convert then with Flir Tools to MSX images.

Or see my footnote for other program code for converting RAW images.

Offline reallybigone916

• Contributor
  • I'm Jimmy and Jerry
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2016, 04:04:05 am »
It's confirmed..... :palm:

Not able to "connect" to Bluetooth or wifi due to missing the communication board on my E30 (S/N 492020XX)

Flir E30 49001-1801 Serial # 492xx Success Report

Successfully updated the IR resolution, VIS resolution and E60 menu functions. :-)

Just a biit surprised, that the cam saves image files without the vis picture if not in thermal fusion or pip mode.
This is a slight discomfort as it prevents any Tools MSX conversion of the picture.

Also the 492xx cameras seem to miss the cmmunications board so wifi and bluetooth could not be enabled.

If anybody could confirm that the lack of the of the slbwver hw component really means the physical absence of the communications modul, it could save me from further investigation. ;-)

If anybody needs help with patching his Exx, you'll be welcome.

Cheers
hikanio

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2016, 02:17:49 pm »
for information and archiving:

FLIR E40 S/N:645XXXXXX F/W: 4.11.0

CONFIRMED: E40 4.11.0 is CRC01 based and is 320x240 RESOLUTION HACKABLE

Basically I did not do the CRC01 right. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE KEYSTROKES

Steps:
1) Downloaded CRC01.exe from lgustavocampos's E30_Hack folder :
 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg561266/#msg561266
2) Backup (Using RNDIS/FileZilla) FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg from E40 to a safe location
3) Replace only the numbers 160->320 and 55->0 in Notepad++ :
          .caps.config.image.settings.resIR int32 320
          .caps.config.image.targetNoise.targetNoiseMk int32 0

4) Delete CRC Line making sure there is only one return space after your serial number
      - You can check that you have only one return character by going to the find function and
        type in [\r\n]+ and select search mode Regular Expression.
4) Place a conf.cfg in the same folder as CRC01.exe
4) Open up Command Prompt and cd to that directory
5) Type/Execute:      crc01.exe conf.cfg
6) Go to conf.cfg enter after your serial number and type in new CRC (do not paste)
9) Save and upload via RNDIS to FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg
10) Reset camera by removing battery.

:-+

Offline nongken

« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2016, 04:49:11 pm »
for information and archiving:

FLIR E40 S/N:645XXXXXX F/W: 4.11.0

CONFIRMED: E40 4.11.0 is CRC01 based and is 320x240 RESOLUTION HACKABLE

Basically I did not do the CRC01 right. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE KEYSTROKES

Steps:
1) Downloaded CRC01.exe from lgustavocampos's E30_Hack folder :
 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg561266/#msg561266
2) Backup (Using RNDIS/FileZilla) FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg from E40 to a safe location
3) Replace only the numbers 160->320 and 55->0 in Notepad++ :
          .caps.config.image.settings.resIR int32 320
          .caps.config.image.targetNoise.targetNoiseMk int32 0

4) Delete CRC Line making sure there is only one return space after your serial number
      - You can check that you have only one return character by going to the find function and
        type in [\r\n]+ and select search mode Regular Expression.
4) Place a conf.cfg in the same folder as CRC01.exe
4) Open up Command Prompt and cd to that directory
5) Type/Execute:      crc01.exe conf.cfg
6) Go to conf.cfg enter after your serial number and type in new CRC (do not paste)
9) Save and upload via RNDIS to FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg
10) Reset camera by removing battery.

:-+

Thank You  "tomas123"   :clap:

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2016, 05:39:50 pm »
You are welcome!  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf