Author Topic: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration  (Read 170530 times)

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2019, 09:00:39 pm »
Got a used older e40 (gen 1 reports version 0.10) and upgraded to the 2.23.14 firmware available here.  Ran ezcrc01 successfully on my modified conf file, but when I go to use the net installer it tells me the .fif I created has a file format error when loaded into the installer, specifically "Missing camera macro file" from the log.  The files created were the e8.cfg and the batch file pointing to it, and since those correspond to the other camera series, I tried renaming it to conf.cfg and renaming the batch contents, but it hasn't liked it yet.  Is this a candidate for the manual crc01 method instead?

Also had some trouble doing a full backup over ftp, since several windows files and a database file were not accessible when the camera was on.  Anyone run into that before?

Ha!  I'm a fool and I'll share it in hopes of solving someone else's upgrade:
I zipped the whole folder and not just the contents, making the file structure unexpected and making the error.  Zipped the contents properly and it worked first try.  Unlocked the resolution, the 4x zoom, and decreased the added noise to 35 (I saw it mentioned as a good baseline for high end models).

Also worth mentioning that in my original conf.cfg file, there were two duplicate resIR lines next to each other, I changed both to the new one and it works well.

Coming from a 9Hz camera this beauty is night and day!  Also for being a bit heaver than my U5855A, the ergonomics actually make it feel a bit better in my hand.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:17:47 pm by DaJMasta »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2019, 05:51:10 am »
New post since it's been a bit, but the Flir logo over the saved videos is a bit annoying - it's pretty large given such a small overall image size and I'd love to have it removed- does anyone know how to remove it?

I tried changing the flir logo jpg to .old over the local FTP connection, and while I would have expected a different format (for an alpha channel, since there is transparency), and I haven't been able to find the image itself in any of the other image formats just sitting around in the file structure.

Maybe it requires some sort of firmware hack, and maybe it's not doable, but if it's possible to remove the Flir watermark on the video, it would be great to.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2019, 07:50:05 pm »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #378 on: October 21, 2019, 06:30:20 am »
Thanks, I gave it a try this evening and while the app is running correctly, I don't actually see the option to remove the logo, and it did not remove it automatically.

My camera is the older version e40 modded to an e60, so the MSX option checked by default need not apply (don't have the MSX hardware in the unit) and I have somewhat intermittent menu issues.  There are times, before and after that initial app opening, when the menu key doesn't bring up the menu at all, though you can still pull it in from the left side of the screen.  Then there are other times when it works exactly as expected, and I haven't been able to find a reason for either one aside from something to do with the new app.

Worth mentioning that I'm using the applaunch.dat option to launch it, if it makes a difference.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #379 on: October 21, 2019, 07:08:08 am »
Thanks, I gave it a try this evening and while the app is running correctly, I don't actually see the option to remove the logo, and it did not remove it automatically.

It's the very first option.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #380 on: October 21, 2019, 07:26:18 am »
This is what I'm seeing:858518-0

The first option does actually turn off the NUC like expected.  My unit seems to be unhappy with the hack, though.  I found booting up for this that the camera would power on, show splash screen, and then power off before booting.  Reseating the battery and cold booting fixes it, but it takes several sets of keystrokes to boot the hack menu, and I actually managed to get it into a state where holding the power button did not power down the camera.  I think it has something to do with window focus, since pulling in the left side menu re-enabled shutting down with the power button.

My software version is 2.23.14

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #381 on: October 21, 2019, 08:39:11 am »
Ah, it can be buggy sometimes. I'll take a look at it when I get around to poking at it again.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #382 on: October 21, 2019, 04:29:37 pm »
A little update, maybe the extra info will help figuring out what's wrong.

Before disabling, I tried turning on the option in the .ini and just not bothering with the GUI - and the logo was still there.  Not only that, I think the app was ignoring the .ini altogether, because I also turned off the MSX option and on cold boot it still showed as enabled (it also wasn't storing settings between reboots, so maybe this is related).

I ended up disabling the hack by just commenting out the applaunch.dat line, and I verified that a behavior that started with the hack enabled went away - when I used the hold menu and down keystrokes to open the app GUI, when it was installed, it would hide the temperature range bar on the right, even when it didn't actually bring up the app GUI itself - actually seemed like sort of a handy trick to hide on screen stuff, but on disabling the app, it wasn't a stock behavior :p

Offline Dante91

« Reply #383 on: November 25, 2019, 02:00:24 pm »
Hello every one.

I am a new member. I would like to hack my FLIR E40 in 320x240 resolution. Do you have a solution about this ? I have already read the E40 and E30 subject, however I did not find a solution. I have not seen the tutoriel yet.

Friendly regards,

Dante

Offline d.kozminihs

« Reply #384 on: May 13, 2020, 10:28:12 am »
Did anyone try this new 5.3.0 firmware? Is it safe to upgrade, is it worth upgrading from 4.13.0?

P.S.: Thank you all for taking this that far!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #385 on: May 13, 2020, 11:59:37 am »
With each new release of firmware comes the risk that the upgrade will be defeated or prevented. FLIR are not particularly happy that people have upgraded their Exx series cameras but they have now released the new models so less time is spent on the old cameras firmware. The Exx series have been around fir a long time now so ask yourself what bugs the firmware would fix that have not already been discovered and sorted in the past. FLIR like to make “housekeeping” changes to firmware...... this normally means they try to make the upgrade harder ! Newest is not always best when it comes to firmware, especially where publicly known hacks are concerned !

My advice is to consider what, if any issues you have with the current firmware and whether a firmware upgrade is worth risking. FLIR are normally tight lipped about what improvements the upgrade contains. It may fix an issue you are having, it may not. There is also the very real possibility that a newer firmware contains a bug not previously present in your camera !

My advice - stick with the firmware that is known to be safe and stable  ;)

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline d.kozminihs

« Reply #386 on: May 13, 2020, 12:29:59 pm »
I have taken the risk and updated to 5.3.0. Got resolution and noise sorted exactly as before. Will look into other setting later and come back.
Unfortunately I had reasons to consider update. My camera was restarting at the end of warm boot every second time (sorted after update).
But what concerned me the most - it doesn't allow me to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It has been registered as "FLIR E40 60Hz+radio" if that means anything.
Update didn't help with connectivity, but at least solved restart problem
I remember someone mentioned they would be able to share files from later E60, but I cant's find any live links. May I ask someone to share those again?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: May 13, 2020, 12:39:36 pm »
I am pleased that the firmware fixed your issue. The Radio function is enabled and disabled in the configuration files. Have you checked that it is actually set to “True” in the configuration ? All E40 cameras should have an active radio module. Did the radio link function work before the upgrade ?

The later firmware versions were shared by a member of this forum recently so they should be available from someone here. I am not near my laptop so cannot help at the moment.

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:42:31 pm by Fraser »

Offline d.kozminihs

« Reply #388 on: May 13, 2020, 02:31:59 pm »
Warm boot restart problem is back. No miracle this time.
Both "wlan" and "bluetooth" entries in service/conf.cfg are true. That is how it was when I bought it, never seen radio working.
If I change those to false, then whole relevant menu disappears. I have these menus, but nothing can be changed in there.
In "Wi-Fi" menu it is permanently set to "Off" and no way to change to "Share" or "Connect to network"
There is a message "Wi-Fi is not present" on the bottom.
In "Bluetooth..." it is impossible to enable it. No messages.
In both menus i am unable to scroll down from the first line.
I went through the whole forum yesterday, must have missed the new firmware.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:59:17 pm by d.kozminihs »

Offline d.kozminihs

« Reply #389 on: May 13, 2020, 07:58:07 pm »
I have searched for that new E60 firmware (for 64... s/n), but all of the links are down. Could you please share it again?
I will host it from my own website, so it won't expire any time soon.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: May 14, 2020, 01:41:06 pm »
I take no credit for this firmware collection. It was originally uploaded by a generous fellow forum member.

No idea how long the file remains available on filedropper.

File Size is 90MB

http://www.filedropper.com/flir-firmware-master

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: d.kozminihs

Offline d.kozminihs

« Reply #391 on: May 15, 2020, 07:15:13 pm »
Thank you! I will study these files.
I will keep it alive at this address:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zHZE84IzDyBvlQyGhviU6fXpa7Gbx9S8
(Hope you don't mind)

I have contacted Flir to get more help with inactive radio, will see how it goes.

Will come back once some progress will be done

Offline Flukav

• Contributor
« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2020, 05:18:59 pm »
Dear all,
After successful update of my E4, I acquired a first gen Flir E40bx, left rotting in a shut-down thermal insulation company basement for 3 years.
Battery showed no sign of life (20mV on poles), so I started it up by wiring a 3.7V cell. As soon as voltage reached 2.5V, the E40 unit was able to detect the battery and charge it: pretty resilient.
Hardware is 0.9, firmware 2.19.10 .
Of course Flir Tools wanted to update to 2.27.16, but most of replies on this feed talk about the 2.23.14 firmware as a safe base for future «improvements».
Can anyone share the Flir E40bx -490XXX - 2.23.14 file and some advice on the hack to be performed?

Cheers

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: May 23, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »
I have uploaded the requested firmware package here:

http://www.filedropper.com/flirexxpn490v22314updatepack

Enjoy  :)

This reminds me that I have an E40b awaiting release from its shackles  ;D I must dig it out and upgrade it.

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:59:15 pm by Fraser »

Offline Flukav

• Contributor
« Reply #394 on: May 23, 2020, 06:28:20 pm »
Very, very nice.  :-+
Can we attach firmwares directly on the post so it can be kept for a longer time than on external data transfer website?
On the original post of IgustavoCampos, two programs were given: CRC03.exe and crc01.exe
Only the latter is mentioned in the «upgrade» procedure. Anyone knows what CRC03.exe is doing?
Cheers

Offline Flukav

• Contributor
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2020, 04:53:26 pm »
Hey folks;
After 2 attempts, i successfully updated my E40bx to a regular E60bx.
First attempt failed, leading to disappearance of wifi/zoom/almost all menus.
Second attempt was made with files from «funzt», releasing all E40's power.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg338671/#msg338671

Compared to my previous E4, I am really surprised by image improvement, gotta love this little camera.
Fraser, funzt, thank you.

Offline Anomalia

« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2020, 06:50:52 am »
Where do you see firmware version? The settings menu? It reads 2.6.6, E40 0.10.

The version that needs to be installed is 2.23.14, but I have 2.6.6? This is confusing. Is it really 2.6.6?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:41:19 am by Anomalia »

Offline Anomalia

« Reply #397 on: June 17, 2020, 09:42:15 am »
should I proceed with update? The current version number is 2.6.6? Shouldn't it be smaller in number? I checked that I have service menu.

Edit: This issue is solved. Thank you Fraser  :-+
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:54:14 am by Anomalia »

Offline Anomalia

« Reply #398 on: July 02, 2020, 11:55:00 am »
Is it possible to add medical palette to 640XXX series like 645XXX?

Offline unchiu

« Reply #399 on: July 13, 2020, 04:37:27 pm »
Hello guys!
I have an E40bx sn 490 sw 1.24.16. I want to "upgrade" to E60bx with extended temp range.
Is it safe to make upgrade directly to 2.23.14?
Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf