Author Topic: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration  (Read 169255 times)

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration
« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2022, 10:47:58 pm »
Well I had to play around with it because I can't believe I never have in the past worried about it. I figured (wrong) that it must drop to 30 fps when under great demand like video and thermal at the same time so I tried it just as a regular video camera then as just a fusion camera, then picture in picture with the same result it drops to 7fps in all those modes except actually using thermal then it goes back up to 30 fps.

Offline Steve99

« Reply #426 on: May 28, 2022, 01:53:46 pm »
Hi, I'm about to upgrade my E40 serial 490xxxxx but I can't find a working link to the 2.23.14 Firmware.
I currently have an old 1.43.23 version installed. My camera has the separate arrow keys buttons and no MSX, it also has both wifi and bluetooth.

Does anybody got a working link to the 2.23.14 Firmware?

Thanks  :D

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #427 on: May 28, 2022, 03:42:40 pm »
I have sent you a link to the firmware on my Google Drive via PM

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline sbvr4

• Contributor
« Reply #428 on: September 09, 2022, 03:25:31 am »
Hello,
I recently purchased a E30bx. It's an old version without MSX. Unfortunately, its running firmware version 2.27.15. I've really only seen hacks which address fw version 2.23.14 or earlier.

Does anyone know if the E60 resolution upgrade and possibly added menus can be done on fw 2.27.15? Is it possible to revert to the older fw 2.23.14 if not?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #429 on: September 09, 2022, 09:56:44 am »
From reports that I have received, FW2.27 does permit the upgrade.

You will not break the camera by trying the upgrade. Make sure you take a backup first though !

I normally do not recommend moving up to FW 2.27 because FLIR has a habit of removing useful engineering functionality, such as the Service menu. As you are already on 2.27 you are not risking anything. 2.27 May still have all the features and functionality of 2.23.

Reversion to an earlier firmware may be possible if you make changes to the update package to fool the camera into thinking it is newer than 2.27….for example 2.28.

Fraser

Offline sbvr4

• Contributor
« Reply #430 on: September 10, 2022, 03:38:43 pm »
Thanks Fraser! I can confirm upgrading while on fw 2.27 was no problem thanks you and others on this forum. Upgrade only took a couple mins once I had all the files modified and crc recalculated. The results are definitely worth the time of reading all the related threads. Thank you for all your research and willingness to share what you've learned with the community.

Best regards,
Sean

Offline JazzeyG

• Contributor
« Reply #431 on: December 13, 2022, 03:47:12 pm »
Hi, I've recently purchased a E40bx and wanted to upgrade. Could anyone send me a link for the upgrade files?

Model: E40bx 1.3

Software: 4.13.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 04:30:20 pm by JazzeyG »

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #432 on: December 14, 2022, 02:50:33 pm »
Firmware upgrade is 5.30 and available at Flir after you register, but 4.13 was a pretty decent firmware and unless you have a reason to upgrade it is really not worth it. If by upgrade you meant hack files for higher resolution etc. you probably need to read the thread at the beginning and remember there are 2 different models MK1 and MK2 and follow the instructions for the MK2. If you did use another persons files they would not work right as you have to change your own files to have it really work right.

Offline JazzeyG

• Contributor
« Reply #433 on: December 15, 2022, 01:12:03 pm »
Hi, thanks for the response. Apologies should have said looking to hack the files for the extra features.

I'll have a look through the thread properly, thanks.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: December 21, 2022, 09:21:49 am »
Hi,

my E40 mkII have developed what seems like a "loose" connection - causing the imager to create funny images occasionally. A gentle "tap" can sometimes get it back.

Does anyone have a "teardown guide" or can provide some hints on how to best open up the beast? Flir wants £400+VAT for "initial ass-essment"..

:)

/k

Offline JazzeyG

• Contributor
« Reply #435 on: January 08, 2023, 01:22:30 am »
Hi, have had a read through this thread and think I'm ready to give it a go!

Anybody have a link for the latest MK2 hack files? All the old links previously posted seem to be dead

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2023, 04:09:53 am »
Here is a link to a file on the forum.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=74656

You only need the crc01.exe file (I did not see just that file for download so use this one to get it)
You will place this in a folder you make and will have a copy of the cfg file from your camera in the same folder, after you change the 2 lines (resolution and noise) you will run the crc01.exe on that saved cfg file and then enter the number it generates to the bottom of that same cfg file then upload it to the camera. So the file you will get from the download and the cfg file you already have is all you need. But please make a backup and place that in a different folder before you begin.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 04:11:31 am by cuda12 »

Offline JazzeyG

• Contributor
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2023, 10:17:02 am »
Thank you very much for your reply, I will give that a try later today and let you know how I get on!

Offline defplayr

• Contributor
Re: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration - Weird Resource Browser
« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2023, 05:32:14 pm »
Long time lurker, new poster. This is what the internet is for!

Just bought an old E40. My unit has a strange feature, which I've not seen mentioned in any other post. I wonder if anyone has seen this before or has any comments?

If I bring up the unit's 'hidden menu' (' settings/i ' selected, then hold right arrow), amongst the pages is a 'Resource browser' entry...

Clicking on that brings up a GUI, where you can navigate, and drill down to, various settings/options. If the setting has a numerical value, you are offered a spinning wheel of possible values, and if a text value, you are offered a keyboard. You can edit the value, but the change does not persist when you return out of the wheel/keyboard... UNLESS... If you click on the pink locked box image, a gallery of faces is presented. The changed value will persist* if I choose it while a face is shown. There are a few faces, all of whom have their eyes disguised. Painting with a very broad brush, I would not be the most shocked in the world if, judging by their appearance, these are the faces of software devs.

(* It appears that sometimes a value will only save with a particular face, occasionally not at all.)

The changed values persist over a cold boot and can easily bugger up the unit (don't ask).

I've only had the unit a short time, so to date, I've only upped the I/R resolution and lost the noise, by the usual method of changing conf.cfg, and also put my contact details on the boot up logo. For info, my unit records I/R video, streams whatever is being displayed on the screen to FLIR Tools on WiFi (stream or signal on USB), and has the service menu.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 11:04:07 pm by defplayr »

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #439 on: January 22, 2023, 09:20:33 pm »
I have had a few MK-1 and MK-II series with all firmware versions and have never seen that. What series camera? And what firmware version?

Offline defplayr

• Contributor
« Reply #440 on: January 22, 2023, 09:42:17 pm »
>cuda12

It's second hand, the seller didn't know the history of it, and I'm not an expert. The last photo in my post gives bits and pieces about it... does it answer your q's? I can look at whatever files on the unit you need, if you point me in the right direction. The connector covers are missing (snapped off), but I think they should look like the attached diagram... also it does not have MSX, which makes me believe it's a MK1?

This 'Resource browser' does seem very weird... the images are low res and a bit amateurish but it does the job and with humour (typical devs!).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:29:14 pm by defplayr »

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2023, 02:15:19 pm »
Yes first version MK1 no MMX, looks to be a very early unit maybe that is why the extra entries in the menu. Should have a basic entry for camera information in your menu. The podkit entry in the picture is a very low number so it would be good to confirm in the menu the firmware version.

Offline defplayr

• Contributor
« Reply #442 on: January 23, 2023, 03:59:17 pm »
>cuda12

This one?

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #443 on: January 23, 2023, 07:28:48 pm »
Yep that confirms 1.24.16! Wow that must be why the extra menu items.

Offline JazzeyG

• Contributor
« Reply #444 on: February 06, 2023, 03:06:00 pm »
Upgraded my unit's resolution, all working good. Thanks again for the help.

Just wondering is there a way to get the full temperature range on my E40bx? I'll try again today but not been able to get into the service menu. I am on firmware 5.3.0
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 04:46:00 pm by JazzeyG »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #445 on: February 06, 2023, 05:17:12 pm »
If you are on firmware 5.x.x you do not have the required files for the service menu in your camera and they cannot easily be added to recreate a working Service Menu. Service Menu access does permit enabling of additional temperature ranges for which a calibration table exists but sadly that is not possible in your case.

Fraser

Offline JazzeyG

• Contributor
« Reply #446 on: February 07, 2023, 07:14:22 am »
Hi Fraser, many thanks for your response. Is there anyway of downgrading in order to get the service menu?

If it is possible which version would I need to downgrade to?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #447 on: February 07, 2023, 07:57:30 am »
The straight answer is that I do not know for sure. From memory it is possible on the older firmware updates to change the version so that the FLIR updater thinks it is installing a newer firmware release when in fact it is installing an old one. The problem in your situation is that you have the very recent firmware release that may contain countermeasures to such an approach. There is also the issue of which hardware you have. From your firmware version I am guessing you have a Mk2 with MSX. If it is a Mk1 you can try to install the Mk1 V1.23 / V1.24 firmware that still contains the Service Menu. If you have a Mk2 camera then that firmware is not designed for the platform and trouble could occur ! If your camera has MSX, it is a MK2. From memory, none of the Mk2 camera firmware releases contain a functional service menu.

I regret I cannot remember how to change the firmware update ID to fool the firmware loader but it should be buried somewhere in the FLIR E4 thread as this method was used during E4 modifications.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:00:29 am by Fraser »

Offline JazzeyG

• Contributor
« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2023, 08:42:45 am »
Hi Fraser, yes I have the MK2 MSX model with model number starting 645.

I will have a look through the other threads and see if anyone with my model has managed to get the higher temperature range features unlocked. I do have an option for temperature range on the device but it doesn't let me select anything When I go into the option it just has an arrow at the top and bottom but I can't actually select anything, I've attached a photo to this post.

Thanks again for your help, I suppose I don't really need the higher temperature range but knowing the hardware is capable of supporting this I have an urge to unlock it lol.

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2023, 11:15:11 pm »
Here is the master firmware file listed on the forum about page 15
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zHZE84IzDyBvlQyGhviU6fXpa7Gbx9S8

it has 3.12 firmware so that you can enable the service menu on the newer MKII MSX cameras. It is real easy to go back and forth I do it all the time between 3.12.7 and 5.20
All you do is put both of them on your SD card (example) 413autoload.fif and 520autoload.fif then when you want to go to 413 simply rename the file autoload.fif and reboot the camera it will install 413. Then remove the sd card and name it back to 413autoload.fif so that it doesn't try to update everytime you reboot the camera.  And so I run on 5.20 and then go backwards to 3.12 when I need the service menu.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf