Author Topic: Flir E40 white screen  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Drs123Topic starter

Flir E40 white screen
« on: June 12, 2022, 08:04:57 pm »
Bought an E40 with a broken screen. Bought 2 replacement LCD and digitizer screens and they both are white with vertical lines when powered on. The original screen is broken, but also white on the non broken area.

Digitizer works, external video output works, imager works perfectly except the LCD screen is not working. Ive tried reseating the ribbon cable, cleaning the board, etc. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E40 white screen
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 11:26:07 am »
From what you have said, the camera produces a normal thermal image display via its composite video output connector. This is good news as that shows that most of the camera is operational.

From memory the camera drives the LCD display from a dedicated video processor and the composite video comes from the same IC. This would suggest that either the IC developed a fault that only effects the digital video output to the LCD or that one or more important digital signal connections between the video processor IC and the LCD panel have failed in some way.

We need to consider what potentially caused the broken LCD panel before you bought the unit. These cameras are  pretty robust and by far the most common accident is a fall event where the camera is dropped onto a hard surface from a height. A fall event serious enough to break the LCD panel is also capable of breaking surface mount solder connections on heavy components, IC’s and ribbon connectors. Such solder joint failures can be very hard to see so testing with test equipment is needed.

There is another ugly possibility that we must also consider. Some companies destroy equipment before disposal as a matter of corporate policy. If equipment suffers a fault and is to be disposed of, further damage is inflicted to put it beyond reuse. With equipment that contains a display, this is commonly smashed before disposal. In this scenario you camera could have suffered a video processor IC fault and the smashed screen was not the original fault :(. Something to keep in mind.

OK, so how to proceed…….

1. Where able, reverse engineer the connections from the LCD panel PCB connector to the video processor IC to see whether there are any in-line buffer IC’s or filters that could cause loss of data line integrity.

2. Check each LCD display to Video processor connection for continuity. One way to do this is to monitor the connections to the LCD panel PCB connector to check that all expected supplies and data lines are present and active. You have bought replacement LCD panels so there should be a data sheet available to show the various signals needed by the display. Look for any that are inactive when they should be carrying data. If monitoring of the data lines is not possible due to lack of a suitable oscilloscope, it may also be possible to test for continuity between the video processor, any intermediary components, and the PCB connector using a multimeter set to diode test mode. Power is removed from the camera and the LCD panel disconnected. The multimeter probes are placed between 0V and the pin of interest to see whether the protection diode on an IC’s I/O pin can be detected. Where accessible, standard resistance measurements of data and supply lines may be carried out. Any connection between the video processor IC and the LCD panel connector that appears to be ‘floating’ should be further investigated as there may be a loss of continuity.

3. If all expected data, sync and power lines to the LCD are present and active, you could potentially have a failed video processor that is sending garbage to the LCD panel processor (unlikely as you have good composite video) or there could be a firmware issue that has misconfigured the video processor digital output such that it no longer matches the needs of the LCD panel that is in use. Firmware corruption can occur if someone tried to modify the cameras configuration and messed with something that they should not have touched.

Hope this helps

Fraser

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 03:53:21 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 01:53:24 am »
If you got that on ebay that seller has lots and lots of Flir damaged screen units from temp guages to Multi-meters to infrared cameras.  Point is it's not probably a average user accident but more  repair shop jobs that never got fixed and sold as scrap.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 08:33:44 am »
Cuda12

I just took a look at the sellers auctions. He is a classic recycler who obtains unwanted/scrap equipment and puts in on eBay to rehome it.

Sadly, having looked at the FLIR equipment he has sold, I have a pretty good idea where it came from and it is mostly complete scrap, beyond economic repair. Note that the batteries have been removed from most of the FLIR One G3 units that he is selling…. Standard product disposal protocol as the batteries are identified as hazardous waste for separate handling. The many broken screens also suggest standard scrap disposal protocol for an OEM, or their agent.

That faulty FLIR equipment looks to have come out of the scrap recycling bin and was never intended to be returned to service.

I fear the OP has purchased a camera with a fault that lead to it being sent to the scrap bin as ‘beyond economic repair’. The broken screen appears to be classic deliberate damage as part of the corporate disposal process, using a point source impact tool. The other FLIR units with smashed screens show similar, potentially deliberate , display damage. Drop damage commonly cracks a glass screen or LCD panel. Holes punched through plastic screens and point impact ‘star bursts’ on the LCD panel tell a different story.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374061989367?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=U0hhRRpYRtO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BgpdXaaLSkK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Another poorly Exx series camera from the same seller …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374128300206?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=U0hhRRpYRtO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BgpdXaaLSkK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Smashed moisture meter screens… looks deliberate……

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374125559986?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=U0hhRRpYRtO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BgpdXaaLSkK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And more here…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374125708791?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=U0hhRRpYRtO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BgpdXaaLSkK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The number of scrap FLIR One G3 units that he has sold, and is still offering, is impressive. A good source of cheap Lepton cores……

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374119450459?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=U0hhRRpYRtO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BgpdXaaLSkK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:39:03 am by Fraser »

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 10:38:59 pm »
Yes, I forgot to mention I do believe this camera was purposely decommissioned because I found a missing chip on the board near the video processor. I saw from pictures on this site that it looks like an HMC5883L. I managed to souce one and was able to get it soldered to the board with my hot air station. I also reflowed many components.

I asked the ebay seller multiple questions and received no response. The lcd was in fact smashed badly, most definitely intentional.

I do not know if this is in fact the correct chip, I only went off of several photos I found on this site. I'm not sure if this chip is the problem, it worked the same before and after install. I managed to get an actual HMC5883L, not the QMC5883L. Perhaps Flir had a custom L883 fitted to their cameras with different registers. Maybe if anyone could verify the chip, could point to some answers

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 02:05:15 pm »
search e40 wifi on here and you will find a thread with complete teardown pictures of a e40 that are zipped up that should help you. PS if you give up on fixing it I need a new wifi card for my e50 mine works 50% of the time and annoys me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:07:05 pm by cuda12 »

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:16:32 pm »
Update:

I found a brand new, complete replacement board and the screen still does not work. Same result. I'm starting to think it's the wrong LCD. I can see shadows of movement in the LCD while moving the imager around.

I bought the same LCD panels as posted in another thread. I'm not sure what else is left at this point.

I did buy a 3rd party battery, it is not a genuine Flir. I'm starting to wonder if it is not compatible, or maybe I am crazy.

Can someone with an e40 (revision without the arrow buttons) post pics of their LCD ribbon connector?

Thank you guys for the info!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 09:27:32 pm »
Damn, you really cannot catch a break with that camera ! :(

You are very lucky to have found a new replacement main board for an Exx series camera !
The later Mk2 E40 could use a different LCD panel so this could very well be your problem. The battery will not cause this issue.

Sadly I have no information on the MK2 Exx series panel but hopefully someone will be able to assist you. The original LCD panel part number on a known working Mk2 camera might help identify a suitable replacement.

From memory the Mk2 camera contains a more powerful processor so the revised design may have used a LCD panel more suited to the newer chipset. If it is a MIPI interface, life gets complicated !

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 09:30:45 pm by Fraser »

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 11:10:05 pm »
I have no pictures I just had mine apart it has 2 cables off the touch screen 1 small about 3 wires ribbon and a much larger one probably like 5. Mine is a MSX newer style E50 I believe my digitizer has gone bad. What is a link to the screen you bought either thread or order. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 06:52:39 pm by cuda12 »

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 12:04:06 am »
If you search e40 screen replacement you will find it. It's a Zumo 400 76x63mm screen on ebay.

I bought 2 lcds, from different sellers. They both show white screen. I dont know if the screens are defective, or incompatible, or if my e40 is damaged.

The mk II board looks nearly exactly the same as the mk I board except the analog buttons are gone from the mk II.

Offline Logan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 02:00:50 pm »
So you replaced motherboard and LCD,  but still not work? How's that possible?
What haven't you replaced yet?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 04:38:08 pm »
Logan,

He has indeed replaced both the LCD panel and the motherboard BUT there is uncertainty over whether he has purchased a compatible LCD for his MK2 camera. From memory, the details of the replacement LCD were for a Mk1 camera. It is possible that a Mk1 LCD will not work on a Mk2 if there was a change to the hardware BOM but I have no information on that scenario. I am still amazed that he found a brand new motherboard. As far as I am aware, FLIR will only supply such a board to a Bona Fide service agent, at high cost, and it requires configuration plus calibration. The fact that the fault remains the same suggests that the LCD panel remains the issue. CAVEAT ... if the new motherboard came from the same eBay seller as the camera, all bets are off as they are selling FLIR scrap that was supposed to be put beyond use. Any FLIR kit bought from that seller should be bought with caution as it could have any amount of damage, both accidental/natural failure or deliberate.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 04:58:43 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »
An example of another camera sold by the same seller that has suffered severe damage to its lens block. The objective is no more and not easily replaced. This sort of damage is commonly seen on cameras that have had a hammer applied to the lens block ! :'(
Imagine the shock wave that went through the microbolometer during the event that smashed the objective lens  :-- The supplemental lens mount is also cracked as a result of a severe impact. It was a brave soul who paid $470 for that sad camera. Likely bought as a spares donor where its parts can help to save other cameras of the same model. It certainly is not worth buying a replacement len block, even if such was available. It is a large format microbolometer with equally large format lens, such is rare and very expensive.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 08:43:21 pm by Fraser »

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 10:02:10 pm »
Yes I found a brand new complete board. From a different seller on Ebay. A reputable US seller. On startup it was going through some boot procedures and wanting to do calibration. LCD exhibiting same behavior. Fortunately am able to return it.

These cheap chinese LCD panels may be faulty. Both of them look exactly the same. They are the correct size and have the correct ribbon. Nearly identical to the original screen. One of them stopped working completely due to a faulty ribbon cable. I installed that one maybe 2 times and it broke somewhere inside the ribbon.

I'm going to try one last LCD panel from a US seller, that is tested and has a return policy. A genuine Zumo screen from a used unit. If this doesnt work looks like I'm SoL.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 10:05:09 pm »
I hope that screen works for you 👍

Fraser

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 10:33:58 pm »
In an effort to fix my bad touch screen I bought a $50 and a $18 screens from ebay they looked the same but both whitescreen in my flir so I had to put my old screen back in.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 09:30:25 am »
cuda12,

I bought the replacement LCD panels and touch screen digitisers separately. I believe the details of the correct digitiser were included in the post that detailed the Garmin Zumo replacement screen compatibility. In your situation, you can peel away the touch screen digitiser and fit a new digitiser. The digitiser is held in place around the edges with double sided tape. What I am uncertain about is whether you have access to the digitiser calibration routine to fine tune the stylus/finger position detection.

Fraser

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 02:07:56 pm »
My camera has the utility and the x moves around then says complete. But I also found (with my bad screen) I could tap anywhere on the screen and it accepted it. So taps work but where I tap does not and then I can't use the keyboard. On a side note even though my camera is the MSX model and I was on the latest firmware I down graded it to 3.12.7 and it added a complete working Service Menu
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 04:59:39 pm by cuda12 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf