Author Topic: FLIR E60 Battery Connector Pinout...  (Read 8971 times)

Offline 300EVILTopic starter

• Contributor
FLIR E60 Battery Connector Pinout...
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:49:42 am »
Hi Everyone,
First of all, thank you all for the great info on this forum. I've been lurking here for a while reading up all the great info and was able to "upgrade" my first thermal camera, an E4 in about 15 minutes. I then caught the thermal bug and snagged an E60 on ebay.  :P  Just the camera, no battery or power supply... Yeah, I know $$$. So, I'm waiting for a battery to come in and don't want to rip the camera apart, just yet. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the pinout for the battery lugs so I can connect a regulated PS to it and fire it up. I'm pretty sure the battery is rated at 3.6V but I have no clue on the pinout of the battery or the unusual power plug. 50/50 shot, yeah I know but I don't want to chance they have no reverse polarity protection inside. Any assistance would be great!
Thanks!
Adam

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
Re: FLIR E60 Battery Connector Pinout...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:48:53 am »
Here is the pinout of the battery (Part No. T198553).
It is rated 3.6V but when fully charged you have the typical 4V at the positive terminal.
The pin in the middle has 10kOhm to GND, probably a PTC/NTC or a simple resistor for identification.

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:56 pm »
... and here the pinout of the powersupply.
It is rated 12V 3A.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:08 pm »
Hey Cat!
Thank you very much for the detailed information. I was able it power up the camera and verify that it does indeed work! At first, I was a little too conservative with the current and the camera kept rebooting from the splash screen every 10 seconds. It appears the camera needs at least 1.5A @3.6V to boot.
Thanks Again for the help!
Adam

Offline gearshredder

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:23:54 pm »
It's so silly how expensive these batteries are. Only 2600mah. Maybe I'll shove a NCR18650GA into mine? lol. Could even 3d print a housing for it and make a weeks worth of batteries.

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:48 pm »
Only 2600mah.
The T198553 battery is actually rated with 5,2 Ah (or 5200 mAh), the older T197752 is rated 4,4 Ah.

Maybe I'll shove a NCR18650GA into mine?
The battery pack contains very likely two 18650 cells in parallel. So a 3D-printed housing should work fine.

Offline gearshredder

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:14 am »
yeah, for $50 for Ex or $90 for Exx batteries. I expect the latest battery tech.
I have a Ex but I'm sure the pinout is similar. It's not in series so no balance circuit.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 09:09:11 am »
It's so silly how expensive these batteries are. Only 2600mah. Maybe I'll shove a NCR18650GA into mine? lol. Could even 3d print a housing for it and make a weeks worth of batteries.

Yeah, the battery connector and its implementation are not so user friendly either. It appears someone "Threw out" the E60 I have now because the battery connector contacts were bent down in the housing and no longer made contact with the battery. I don't ever see myself using the dual battery charger base as there is a chance of ruining the connector every time the battery is removed and replaced.

Offline billyt

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 04:37:38 pm »
Does anybody know or can measure the voltage across the three pins contacts in the Flir E30-40-50-60 cameras (without battery) with just the power plug connected and camera off and also with the camera on. The voltage I get counting pins from the right, with camera on or off, is:   
pin 1-3  ≈ 4.39v
pin 1-2  ≈ 1.55v
pin 2-3  ≈ 0.89v

Can somebody verify please
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:10:52 am by billyt »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 09:23:52 pm »
Just to add to the discussion.

I searched for the power connector that is used on the Exx series but never found it. I first thought of Hirose as the likely manufacturer as it looked like their sort of design. I found a Hirose connector that looked to be a very good match. I ordered one but it was like a slightly scaled down version of the one used on the Exx. No other Hirose connectors appeared to match. The one I ordered was soooooo similar to the FLIR one that I still think Hirose made it, but maybe a bespoke design just for FLIR ?

The FLIR Exx power supply and car adapter lead are expensive but seem to be the only way to obtain such with the correct connector. I even considered making a custom connector with my 3D printer. As luck would have it though, I found a new car adapter cable for £35 so bought it. I bought the dual battery desk charging dock from Canada and got another power supply with that. The connector used on the dock is the same as that on the Exx series cameras.

If anyone does discover a connector of the right type that is available to purchase, I would love to hear about it.

Fraser

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:34:19 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 11:15:26 am »
Can somebody verify please
Measured on a FLIR E60:
Pin 3 (GND) to Pin 1 (+VBat): 0 V (Multimeter shows 50mV, scope detects noise from the SMPS)
Pin 3 (GND) to Pin 2 (Sense): 1,19...2,56 V pulsing with 1 Hz
The results are the same if the camera is turned on or just connected to the power supply.
It seems my model is trying to detect the battery, no voltage is applied to the main battery pins without the battery installed.

The following users thanked this post: billyt

Offline unchiu

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 06:18:18 am »
Hi. Can someone tell the camera battery connector model (like in the above pictures)? I have an E40bx with a damaged connector and I would like to replace it with a new one.
Thank you.

Offline reallybigone916

• Contributor
  • I'm Jimmy and Jerry
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 10:30:56 pm »
I'm about to forgo getting the very expensive Flir power supply and just charge the battery pack with a Li-Ion/Lipo charger.
Charging at 1 amp to 4.10V will do the job
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:22:14 pm by reallybigone916 »

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 12:59:50 pm »
I made a charging cup for Flir E 60 batteries. Charge current 1A. I applied a micro usb socket. Watch the video.
  https://youtu.be/xS-bkk0tn1Y

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 02:45:29 pm »
Uho,

Very nice 👍

Woukd you be willing to share your design details ? I understand if this is something you want to keep to yourself and sell as a finished product.

Fraser

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 03:04:23 pm »
I make them to order.
Fraser read a private message.

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 03:05:41 pm »
@Cat I know this thread is ancient, but I have a question about the proprietary 12V 3A power supply cable. Is the pin in the middle truly a ground (since the left pin is already ground), or is it more of a sense pin? I recently purchased a Flir E40bx, and the plug on the camera side is destroyed. I thought maybe I could replace it with another one, but need more specifics for the attempt.

@Fraser: Did you ever figure out what power connector Flir used? I looked at Hirose as you suggested, but no luck so far.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 03:14:49 pm »
It appears to be a custom connector made for FLIR. Even after extensive searching I never found a supplier of the plug.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Madhatter

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 01:57:03 pm »
@Fraser You were right about the Hirose power connector. railrun found one (MQ172X-3PA) that looks almost identical. I am going to measure it when I get home. I created another Thread asking for help with a replacement connector, and he responded. Here is the link if you want to follow along. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e40bx-broken-charging-port/

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2023, 02:49:04 pm »
Hi,

I bought that Hirose connector and sadly, though it looks identical, the dimensions are not :(

Fraser

Offline kexerth

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2023, 12:46:48 am »
Has anyone made any progress on finding the connector for the Exx Series? (E40/E50/E60)

I took some pictures and dimensions of my original one to share...
and made a 3D printable model as well...

Posted over here...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-exxe40e50e60-charger-connector-specsdimensionsmodel/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 09:23:02 pm by kexerth »

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 06:46:00 pm »
Is it still unknown what that third pin is for?

Someone made nice 3d printable battery replacement (for E4 and compatible cameras) that just needs incorporating charging module...

https://www.printables.com/model/286463-flir-e4-battery-pack

Offline maksym

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2024, 04:41:55 pm »
Is it still unknown what that third pin is for?

Someone made nice 3d printable battery replacement (for E4 and compatible cameras) that just needs incorporating charging module...

https://www.printables.com/model/286463-flir-e4-battery-pack

The third pin is thermal protection.

I have made a charger if you are still interested:

https://www.printables.com/model/732254-usb-c-pd-battery-charger-for-flir-exx-e30-e40-e50-
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6445625

Credit: I have redesigned my charger to use a different board based on this blog (the blog has his own 3D model of the charger) - checkout for his lens accessory as well:

https://0x7d.com/2021/flir-exx-accessories/#more-6341
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 04:44:11 pm by maksym »

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2024, 06:55:08 pm »
Thanks, will look (initially was interested in building own 18650 battery that could be charged in camera).

Offline maksym

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2024, 07:55:01 pm »
Thanks, will look (initially was interested in building own 18650 battery that could be charged in camera).

Fair enough. Mine did not come with a charging cable, but did come with a battery. Third-party batteries are not that expensive though (compared to the camera, anyhow).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf