Author Topic: Flir E60 on eB  (Read 1582 times)

Offline brcondorTopic starter

Flir E60 on eB
« on: April 11, 2021, 08:33:57 pm »
Hello,
A US seller (no affiliation) on eBay is [insert apparently says to be] clearing out some inventory of Flir E60s for $999 (several, have been sold, seems like a great price - tempting if I only did not recently buy an E6). Item number: 373536488751

Regards.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:31:13 pm by brcondor »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E60 on eB
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 09:07:13 pm »
New E60 @ $999 = scammer

EBay has a lot of these scam auctions on thermal cameras. Some are easy to spot, others not so easy.

Beware, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is !
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 10:16:24 pm »
Thanks Fraser!

That's not good. Does seem too good of a price.
Maybe could try to test the seller to see how they respond.

Online DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 12:43:48 am »
Not getting any hits, even in advanced and sold listings.
Flir E60 as search phrase, same..and looking at sold listings, nothing stands out to have been sold here lately for around those values, and I'm not familiar that certain listing should be region-locked when it comes to looking for a listing.
maybe link to the listing if you need other people's views.
as an E60 for 1000USD is not unreal as per say, if it's a unit without any accessories or batteries and sold as if, and nothing else and the seller don't wanna take any responsibility whatsoever about the fully/useable state of the unit or accuracy.
So one really needs the bigger picture and look at what the listing says, and who is selling it, so a shame you don't link to the listing as I can't get any hit on your number.

There are shockingly many scammers on eBay and thermal cameras got their fair share of it, but an easy way to decipher between them, is just asking for a picture of the item with your name written on a paper, laying beside the item... as the scammers usually don't have the item, they are trying to scam with, and often just grab pictures online and from other sellers.

An E60 in mint condition with box and all the accessories.. yeah, not gonna happen at those prices but some of these Flir pro/units have lived a harsh corporate life by people that have not put their own funds behind it and will be sold at prices that reflect that.

// https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=4   373536488751   :-//
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:10:00 am by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 01:31:41 pm »
Just some comments that may help avoid a scammer ...

1. Seller has low feedback count (not a reason on its own)
2. Feedback is only for the item currently being sold (not a reason on its own)
3. The feedback is from buyers with a very low feedback count (not a reason on its own)
4. The ‘Buy it Now’ price is significantly below that which would be expected for the item being sold (suspicious)

None of the above in isolation indicate anything very suspicious but when considered together it has all the hallmarks of a scammer who has tried to create legitimacy in their auction using fake buyers for two previous sales and associated positive feedback.

I would treat such an auction and associated seller as a scammer until such time as I could verify the legitimacy of the auction and would even contact eBay to discuss the seller. If they have reason to, they can check a sellers details and selling history. If the previous two sales were cancelled for instance, that would be a HUGE red flag !

The detailed auction could be genuine but $999 is a lot of money so some due diligence is needed to avoid disappointment. If you start from a position of disbelief and work towards confirmation of legitimacy, you will be fine :) This advice is from a person who actively hunted thermal imaging ‘bargains’ so was regularly sifting through the scammers auctions ... that person was me :)

Finally.... remember that words in an auction are just the seller trying to convince you to buy.... they can be a total fabrication and you are not to know. If the seller says there is something wrong with their PayPal account so it will need a less safe form of payment.... run away and report to eBay for action to prevent a ‘non paying buyer’ case.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:14:31 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: brcondor

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:05:13 pm »
I have found a way to deal with most of these. Simply ask about local pickup. Any reasonable legitimate seller will be inclined to meet you somewhere public and safe like the local police station lobby... If the seller insists on no local pickup or inspection before a sale then you can pretty safely guess that they're scamming. If you aren't local just say you have a friend that will do the inspection/pickup for you. If they agree, you can then probably go through with the deal. All you need to do then is say that you changed your mind and decided to get it shipped. I have used this method several times and I never do a deal with someone who isn't okay with a local inspection/pickup.

Online DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 04:50:55 pm »
sorry it did not locate.
here is the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIR-E60-Infrared-Thermal-Imaging-Camera/373536488751?epid=21031091728&hash=item56f8827d2f:g:3BsAAOSwGMJgbOss
Thx   :-+, though not sure why it doesn't figure when checking item number even with a checkmark in "sold listings" o'r do you need to click something else.?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch  373536488751
But yeah.. numerous signs of foul play.  score feedback (2) with overexcited so-called buyers, and buyers with almost no feedback.. one is (3) and the other is (private) so can also be a symbolic low number, indicating the scammer themself trying to create merits.

- and this E60 are presented as new in box, and here the price doesn't add up. way too low..even if the seller wanted to flip them fast for a low price..
Personally, - if I wanted to jump on such a listing with red flags of scamming... I would ask for a picture of the item' with a piece of paper beside it, with my name or text I chose.. as then I at least can validate they are in possession or have access to the item.
IF they can provide that, I would then wonder about taking the plunge, with a payment method where I got protection.

The example of a personal meeting.. many legit sellers on eBay won't do that, even if it is close by, as it takes time and often easier to just ship it and not having to deal with personal meeting and the risk for money hazzle or being robbed etc...particularly flip-stores on eBay, prefer just shipment and money changing hands by online payment systems.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:53:28 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 06:40:30 pm »
I know at least one very legit eBay seller who does anything he reasonably can to avoid in-person pickups. I have bought a high-value (>US $1000) item from him and as we met to seal the purchase - in cash - he explained why. At least until reasonably recently it seems sellers had absolutely no protection from sellers who paid online, picked up the item, then claimed non-delivery and got a refund. The seller told me that he'd been burned like this more than once, the last time with CCTV evidence (and a police officer witness, IIRC) - but eBay/PayPal just didn't want to know. No courier company delivery proof = money gone.

Fraser and others are quite right about the danger signs listed earlier, but just occasionally there is a good reason for something that looks odd.

In my experience, if an item is worth a significant amount of money the seller will do what you request, providing it's reasonable and doesn't inconvenience them. DaneLaw's suggestion of requesting a photo of the item beside a piece of paper with your name on it is a good one.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:07:34 pm by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 07:07:09 pm »
2. Feedback is only for the item currently being sold (not a reason on its own)

If you open the two previous sales of the E60 (by clicking item number in the feedback history), you can see it was the same serial number being sold. Although it is possible the seller is reusing the same pictures, I would typically expect a statement that pictures are indicative only, actual item can have different SN.

I also agree with the others, this is very likely to be a scam, and you can bet the two previous sales were cancelled (to avoid Ebay duties). I wonder if this is the reason they also do not appear under "sold items".

What I do not understand, is how the seller is able to retrieve the payed amount before the buyer discovers he has been scammed. Typically for larger amounts and new sellers the money is frozen at PayPal until the sale has been completed successfully.

I can understand scammers make money by selling low cost items (for example those Uni-t meters that regularly pop-up for 15€) because not all buyers make the effort to  go through the claim process, but for items of 1000$, this "business model" cannot work...

Anyway, to the OP, I think you can be glad you did not buy this one.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 07:15:57 pm »
I have found a way to deal with most of these. Simply ask about local pickup. Any reasonable legitimate seller will be inclined to meet you somewhere public and safe like the local police station lobby...

Personally I like to meet meet at the buyers place, and not in some public area, as this could be an indication the seller is selling stolen goods, and want to hide his identity. With our local Belgium 2nd-hand site, this is fore sure the case. I used to go public locations for a pick-up, but after having had two shady sellers trying to convince me the item was not stolen, I do not do that any more. But I can imagine this also depends on local culture, typically 95% of Belgium sellers do not have an issue with local pick-up at their home. The exchange is typically done at the front door, so the buyer does not need to enter the private area.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 11:41:05 am »
Anyway, to the OP, I think you can be glad you did not buy this one.

Thanks All. I am glad that I did not buy or try to buy. With the replies I think I avoided alot of stress and distress. It was tempting though since I really would like to get one of the original Exx series with the larger screen. The newer Ex3/5 has an even larger screen. What do you think about those? 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:04:54 pm by brcondor »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 01:39:06 pm »
A wise person once said "never buy a TV from a man in the street - especially if he's running".

That was of course long ago when TVs were expensive (and portable) enough to be worth stealing!
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf