Author Topic: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120  (Read 56221 times)

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
Re: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2016, 11:38:08 pm »
I took some random shots during the day.
You can clearly notice the lower thermal sensor resolution.
One thing i noticed is the app will save the normal picture in landscape if i hold the phone sideways, even though the thermal image is only portrait.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2016, 07:51:34 am »
That looks really good for 80x60 resolution... (Cat S60 right?)

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2016, 08:04:39 am »
That looks really good for 80x60 resolution... (Cat S60 right?)

Yes, it is the Cat S60.

Offline tomas123Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2016, 08:51:17 am »
thanks for shots.
(I think, the images are all post processed with Flir Tools for Android (the colored) and Flir Tools for PC (the gray scale image))

The Flir Software for the camera Flir One cropped the thermal sensor area to about 70%.
Do you see a difference in FOV (field of view) of the thermal live screens between the S60 original app  (MyFLIR for Cat S60) and Georgs app "Thermal Camera"??

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:50:06 pm by tomas123 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2016, 04:07:34 pm »
Flir use image some decent interpolation on their cameras. They also use it to very good effect on the Industrial cameras when selecting digital zoom modes.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2016, 05:53:43 pm »
We still don't know if the Flir One G1 and G2 crops the thermal image ONLY because the VGA camera in the case doesn't have enough FOV. The Cat S60 is using it's build in camera which could have a bigger FOV. 

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2016, 08:38:53 pm »
thanks for shots.
(I think, the images are all post processed with Flir Tools for Android (the colored) and Flir Tools for PC (the gray scale image))

The Flir Software for the camera Flir One cropped the thermal sensor area to about 70%.
Do you see a difference in FOV (field of view) of the thermal live screens between the S60 original app  (MyFLIR for Cat S60) and Georgs app "Thermal Camera"??

I did process the images with flir tools for android, the app puts out 1Mb+ files and i resaved them with flir tools so they became around 150Kb. It is weird because the resolution stays the same, the smaller one was on flir tools for pc, you got it right  :)

I tried to get a good screenshot for comparison of the two apps but is not so easy without any holding base for the phone.
Still i got some lousy ones where there is clearly a difference, even if it is just cropping on the vertical ends.

EDIT: the camera may be pointing a cm or two to a side or the other but the pictures were taken at the same distance, that i am  sure.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:38:28 pm by e_sousa »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2016, 09:39:34 pm »
thank you :-+

The difference on S60 is visible minor as by the Flir One.

Below two samples from Flir One G2 (Lepton 160x120)

here is a real live sample (shot after a small warm up time of about 2 minutes):

It’s the same shot. Compare the different FOV (field of view)

First a original image shot with the Flir App.
The App crop  >:(  the Lepton sensor to about 120x90 Pixel.
Please note the artefacts/patterns!
Flir makes a nice lens distortion correction of the Lepton sensor for best MSX overlaying  ;)

real  Lepton sensor 160x120 (no image postprocessing and with noise/grain because the temperature spread is only 4 Kelvin)

and

image shot from FlirOne App (about 120x90 Sensor Pixel)

with the modified SDK App I shot a full size Lepton image (without image postprocessing): 160x120 ThermalLinearFlux14BitImage

a good visible barrel distortion

as attachment the radiometric jpgs for using with flir tools

Offline newex

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2016, 11:04:59 am »
hi, George
Thanks for you great work!
But I have a strange trouble with my Xiaomi mi note 2.
Free app works perfectly.

But Thermal Camera+ has a problem with the video camera.

Flir One app also does not work. What does this mean?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2016, 01:44:19 pm »
Is your free app the current beta app (Version 2.0.0)?

The Flir SDK changed some methods for the real image...
Flir One app also does not work. What does this mean?
:)

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »
It could be that the apps are using a different SDK version between. I found out not a while ago that I've two SDKs in my development folder with different MD5 hashes. I now united the two app instances I had before and deactivate or activate features by the "builf flavor" they have.

So could you report back please if the link to the beta version in one of my latest posts works for you? If yes I can guarantee you (probably) that the plus app works too.

Another tip: Write the flir support. The hardware of your Flir one is probably damaged and I cannot guarantee you that it will work with later version of my app.

- George

Offline newex

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2016, 04:33:28 pm »
The beta version does not work. Unfortunately now I can not regain the old version free app.
I think hardware flir one absolutely OK. It works perfectly on my nexus 10.

The following users thanked this post: Redshift1340

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2016, 07:50:05 am »
The beta version does not work. Unfortunately now I can not regain the old version free app.

Flir continuous develops further the "Flir One SDK".
With every SDK version some Android Devices kicked out  |O and some new devices comes in (like CAT S60). :-+

George code has no influence on the USB device communication. Therefore Georg can't  support Android devices, which don't support of the last Flir SDK version.

the SDK changes the methods for getting the visible real image
see http://developer.flir.com/forums/topic/deprecated-renderedimage-imagetype-visualjpegimage/

with old SDK 1.0.2 George used the VisualJPEGImage function...

VisualJPEGImage
Visual JPEG image data

VisualYCbCr888Image
Visual YCbCr image data

... and with current Android SDK 1.2.5
VisibleAlignedRGBA8888Image
Visible image data aligned with the thermal image

VisibleUnalignedYUV888Image
Visible unaligned image from the camera

VisualJPEGImage
Deprecated.

VisualYCbCr888Image
Deprecated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:14:11 am by tomas123 »

Offline eternalone

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2016, 02:46:36 am »
Great job on your thermal app. I bought it.  :-+

Perhaps an option in your next update to turn off the temperature scale so it won't be in the pictures if it isn't needed? Or an option to use your own color palettes? That would be wow. :popcorn:  :-DMM

Offline sam1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2016, 06:29:45 am »
Hi, I don't have a FlirOne right now, but I have a few questions.

Does it have a minimal temperature span limit? If yes, is it hacked in this "hacked app"? (For example, E4 have a minimal temp span of 4C degree, but can be hacked to only 1C to get more details.)

Tomas123 mentioned there's a noise-reduction in the original app, has it been removed in this "hacked app"? I really don't like it because it ruined the details, I prefer a more original image.

Thanks!

Offline valere

• Contributor
    • Instants perdus (photo)
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2016, 02:29:55 pm »
Hi,

I purchased the Thermal Camera+ for Flir One app, however on my low cost Amazon Fire 7 it has issues with camera connection (jt works but its randomly annoying - most probably related to stupid Fire Os / have to put a real Android).
However I'm very happy to support such initiative (I put my detailed feedback in this thread since it's highly related to testing Flir One on a low-cost table https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-one-android-on-a-low-cost-tablet/).

I would be very happy to get it working properly, since having the real-time temperature scale in °C displayed is really useful for me.

On the other hand, in my setup, it would be nice to rotate all saved images and not only the pure image output. It would be easier to edit the thermal image in Flir Tools Android or PC.

And I've yet to see the effect of the super resolution mode, well have to do better tests  :D

Thanks George for developing such app !
Valere - Electronic Engineer - Autonomous robotic designer participating to French Robotic Cup / Eurobot (President of Association Sikula Robotik)
http://sikula-robotik.desbwa.org
http://youtube.com/sikularobotik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2016, 12:12:47 pm »
On the other hand, in my setup, it would be nice to rotate all saved images and not only the pure image output. It would be easier to edit the thermal image in Flir Tools Android or PC.
Unfortunately the Flir SDK contains no feature for rotating the thermal radiometric jpgs.  Therefore Georg can't fix this "bug".
Furthermore we can't rotate this special jpgs with a photo editor (post processing)  :-\
Only Flir Tools can rotate this images  :-+

SDK:
save(java.io.File file, RenderedImage.Palette previewPalette, RenderedImage.ImageType previewImageType)
Saves a thermal JPEG file, which has a rendered visual preview and embedded thermal data.

a sample
Code: [Select]
lastSavedPath = path+ "/" + fileName;
renderedImage.getFrame().save(new File(lastSavedPath), RenderedImage.Palette.Iron, RenderedImage.ImageType.BlendedMSXRGBA8888Image);
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:19:33 pm by tomas123 »

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2016, 11:04:48 am »
Unfortunately the Flir SDK contains no feature for rotating the thermal radiometric jpgs.  Therefore Georg can't fix this "bug".
Furthermore we can't rotate this special jpgs with a photo editor (post processing)  :-\
Only Flir Tools can rotate this images  :-+

That's really unfortunate indeed, let's say : "hey FLIR, SDK need to be improved... oh wait they will release a new product instead* ! "

The inside background of the Flir One Box said, if you have any feedback write mail to M. ..... from FLIR, which I did. They answered nicely, however, about many improvements I underlined (including software ones), they said that since FLIR One G2 is on the market for nearly 12 months a new product will come soon... This is interesting but well Flir, please, do your homework on software.

In another thread I've seen someone (maybe the thermal processing application for PC) or a PhP script which managed to recreate the thermal jpeg, so maybe there is room for a merge in knowledge (but it should have been a feature of the SDK). I would really like to find enough time to do that myself, but..., not yet, and it's a little far from embedded I would not be as efficient as embedded / robotic features dev.

I'll use the hardware fix, I'm waiting for an extension wire. Or, when I'll be motivated, I may install a custom android on the tablet and made it think top is bottom. ;-)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:07:10 am by valere »
Valere - Electronic Engineer - Autonomous robotic designer participating to French Robotic Cup / Eurobot (President of Association Sikula Robotik)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2016, 04:13:45 pm »
@Valere,

Just for information.

FLIR very carefully crafted the FLIR One Gen2 and its associated software so as to not compete with other cameras in their range.

Meetings were held to decide which features were to be included in the offering, and which would not. The inability to switch off the MSX was a direct result of such meetings. FLIR designed the FLIR One G2 camera as an entry level consumer product and have no intention of providing enhancements or options that would make it a bargain priced competitor to their more expensive cameras. Just good marketing. They never intended the FLIR One G2 to be a 'serious' thermal camera for use in industry or thermography. It is basically equivalent to a really cheap visible light digital camera used for party photos  ;D

The Radiometric LEPTON 3 has only just been officially released. FLIR will likely wish to develop the LEPTON 3 market further by designing it into all manner of equipments. We may even see development in the automotive safety market following in the footsteps of the AUTOLIV/FLIR partnership. A replacement for the FLIR One G2 would need to offer something new to the market as other cameras are now available to compete against it. I know that FLIR wish to increase the LEPTON series resolution further. Increasing the resolution means increasing the microbolometer die dimensions and a newer optical block to cope with this and the higher resolution. Expect to see a Lepton 4 in due course but it will likely be slightly larger and possibly with more conventional optics.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »
FLIR very carefully crafted the FLIR One Gen2 and its associated software so as to not compete with other cameras in their range.
Indeed, this I already guessed  ;).

Meetings were held to decide which features were to be included in the offering, and which would not. The inability to switch off the MSX was a direct result of such meetings.

FLIR designed the FLIR One G2 camera as an entry level consumer product and have no intention of providing enhancements or options that would make it a bargain-priced competitor to their more expensive cameras. Just good marketing. They never intended the FLIR One G2 to be a 'serious' thermal camera for use in industry or thermography. It is basically equivalent to a really cheap visible light digital camera used for party photos  ;D
This is indeed a logical marketing move, despite me disliking many stupid marketing moves... I respect that they have done this without getting away all the usefulness of the product, because for my use it's a huge improvement over "virtually nothing", and paying two or four times the price would not really have been an option for the time being (getting a decent lab power supply would have been far higher in my list).

You are right, Flir One G2 is among other things a digital camera for electronic (not music) party :-DD , it intents to be able to know which component will first release its magic smoke  ;D

The Radiometric LEPTON 3 has only just been officially released. FLIR will likely wish to develop the LEPTON 3 market further by designing it into all manner of equipments. We may even see development in the automotive safety market following in the footsteps of the AUTOLIV/FLIR partnership.
I wasn't aware of this automotive target, this is extremely interesting I will follow those developments. On the other hand I also purchased the FLIR One G2 to see what can be done with a lepton sensor in case I decided that it can be useful for a totally different purpose (using the Lepton only available part).

A replacement for the FLIR One G2 would need to offer something new to the market as other cameras are now available to compete against it. I know that FLIR wish to increase the LEPTON series resolution further.
Well, in fact I wasn't exactly speaking in the vacuum... Inside the box of the Flir One G2 there was a nice message saying, "if you have any feedback write mail to someone in Flir (name.lastname1 [at] flir dot com) .... that I did  8). I detailed seven points : moving spot point, thermal scale with °C, rubber allowing recharge, rubber vs spacer compatibility, wire micro USB extender, MSX on/off, better compatibility list (including app on other app store market such as a****).

To be honest, first, I was more curious to see if it was for "marketing" purposes or a real feedback wish than waiting for anything.
It seems it is a real feedback (wish is also an amazingly efficient way of marketing  ::) ), which I found really nice since for me this part how a company can do things right !

And eight days after I got a nice answer saying that I wasn't the first one giving such feedback (obviously, I would have been surprised if so), and telling me the following (extract of the mail) :

[...] As this product has been on the market for nearly 12-months, we have heard from customers with many of the same comments. We have been busy responding to these insightful suggestions in our next generation of products. We will be introducing 2-new models of FLIR ONE next year. You’ll be happy to hear that virtually every one of the things on your list has been addressed and incorporated. [...]

I both happy to see that FLIR is going to provide improvements on those points and... well I purchased the actual version without the improvements... on the other hand I didn't get it for decoration I'm already using it and it's really useful as it is (a good combination of Flir One app, Flir Tools and Thermal Camera+ from George allows me a wide and efficient use). I received my micro usb wire extender, and for electronic debug with Flir One it's really handy
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:32:49 pm by valere »

Offline adys

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2016, 07:15:41 pm »
Hi

Got today my flir one g2 and this is very good app compare to the flir one app, I bought the + version.
Is there any way to improve / control the focus ?

BTW the application is crashing a LOT and stuck a LOT also, from some reason most in rotate state of the phone.
I am with LG G3.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:27:52 pm by adys »

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2016, 08:09:24 pm »
Hi

Got today my flir one g2 and this is very good app compare to the flir one app, I bought the + version.

BTW the application is crashing a LOT and stuck a LOT also, from some reason most in rotate state of the phone.
I am with LG G3.

Thanks
I had the same issue - I've been trying to get it to crash with Catlog installed so I could pass on a logcat so it can be sorted. It's certainly not just a handful of users.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline adys

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2016, 09:25:47 pm »
Hi

I am with LG G3.

Thanks
I had the same issue - I've been trying to get it to crash with Catlog installed so I could pass on a logcat so it can be sorted. It's certainly not just a handful of users.

Will it help?
I can do it if someone will look into it

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2016, 03:36:32 pm »
The crashing while connecting with the Flir One it's a pain (particularly while switching between apps).
Georg can't improve this stability, because the complete handling of the Flir One and the USB handshake it's part of the Flir SDK.
This is a closed and precompiled library (armeabi-v7a/libsystemimage.so).

There are some Android phones, which works great and some devices are more unstable   :(

Offline adys

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
The crashing while connecting with the Flir One it's a pain (particularly while switching between apps).
Georg can't improve this stability, because the complete handling of the Flir One and the USB handshake it's part of the Flir SDK.
This is a closed and precompiled library (armeabi-v7a/libsystemimage.so).

There are some Android phones, which works great and some devices are more unstable   :(

Thank you. More than crashes,the app is hanging... just by taking a photo mostly when in rotate mode.  I can go to libary and press the buttons, but the camera view stays freeze.

I am a developer too (windows / c# c++) , so if I can help with some logging or something, please let me know.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf