Author Topic: FLIR One Pro - iOS apps availability  (Read 2657 times)

Offline BinaryBitsTopic starter

• Contributor
FLIR One Pro - iOS apps availability
« on: July 26, 2020, 11:02:38 am »
Is there any other Thermal imaging iOS apps for the FLIR One Pro than only the FLIR One app? Even most of the FLIR approved apps on the FLIR website is no longer in the App store.
I could only find Vernier Thermal Analysis which does not seem to work on iOS 13, it shows a constant -50℃, and its totally messed up.

There seems to be an SDK available, so one would think that there should be more apps available. One of the apps mentioned here on this forum earlier and which also is shown on the FLIR website called Thermal Camera+ also seems to have been removed from app store?

The FLIR One app seems a bit glitchy at times, so i would want to try other apps, and as a bonus maybe they also have more and better functions as well?

By the way, i guess the answer to this next question will be "no", because its always "no" to these kind of questions....but is there a way to connect a Lightning version FLIR One Pro to a Android phone with USB-C, maybe some kind of adapter? Ive seen Female Lightning to Male USB-C adapters, but most seem to not transfer video, only charging and sometimes also data sync? Is there something else going on, more than just the pins being the wrong type?

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
Re: FLIR One Pro - iOS apps availability
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 05:56:12 pm »
Sheesh, that really sucks.  That's the only application I use.  I'm glad I took an old iPhone 5S and left it alone, put it in airplane mode, and never updated it.  Thankfully I've still got ThermalCamera+ and it works well with my F1G2.  It's the only thermal application I use.  Disabling MSK is a must for me.

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:00:34 pm »
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/thermal-camera-for-flir-one/id1175785200

Does that link work from an iTunes-enabled computer?  I'm on FreeBSD, so I can't help.  It flips to some pseudo-protocol 'itmss://' which I assume is iTunes.

Offline rek

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 02:18:51 pm »
I have used the Vernier Thermal Analysis software on iOS, which works with the Flir One dongle. It has a good feature set for data logging, but unfortunately it's gotten quite glitchy and crash-happy especially as the OS has been updated but the app hasn't. It's gotten to the stage where it is almost guaranteed to crash after about a minute or two of data logging.. which is a damn shame since the feature set is excellent. In my experience (both F1G2, and F1G3 Pro) it got proper temperature measurements but I could induce glitches in the data stream fairly easily if you so much as breathe on the cables or devices. I never had any issues with the FLIR One app except for its lack of features.

And about tbe IOS/Android version compatibility, the answer is indeed "no". They have different USB IDs and (from vague memory) the iOS version has the special chip in it to be fully compatible with the Lightning spec (think "Made for iPhone" certification type thing)

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 04:56:34 pm »
Regarding Android vs. iOS:

Yes, there's a dedicated chip for the iOS version. If you have serial access to the Flir One - there's a file in the configuration (on the Flir One), in "shared_files", called "connector_type". It either contains a "U" for Android or "L" for iOS. (There's also a script, "chg.sh", that you can execute in update mode to swap the type. Update mode can be invoked by running set_flash_enable and then rebooting; the phone must not be connected otherwise it reboots the cam back into operational mode).

The USB interface is different between Android and Apple, so depending on the "connector_type" it runs either the iOS or the Android version of the usbgadgetfs app.

UNTESTED but you should be able to change the connector_type to "U". It will then behave as an Android camera (of course you still need the adapter cable). You _probably_ also have to change the model number - the two digits after F or T - in manufacturing_data.txt because the model types are different, and the Android SDK will otherwise not detect the type correctly.

So - it will void your warranty, but this may be viable.

Doing this in the other way around will not work as the iAP chip is not there on Android cameras.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:56:26 pm by tmbinc »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 10:27:20 am »
Oh I forgot about my thread, sorry. Thanks for your answers, interesting answers.

I actually spoke with Vernier and they told me that the paid Pro version of their app works fine, but could not guarantee that the free version works, and I indeed had problems with the free version. But that was for iOS 13, their latest update to the Pro version app was 3 years ago, so thats a bit worrying.

The link provided to iTunes Store for the "thermal camera for Flir One" app says that this item is not available in my countries iTunes Store, is it still available in the U.S iTunes Store as of now?
I cant understand why there aren't more thermal camera apps for iOS, since FLIR allows people to make apps for it? Only a bunch off annoying apps that gives a fake thermal image look.

I have another question about FLIR software for Mac, but I think I start a new thread for that...if I don't find the answer after a search on the forum, since I get a warning about posting in this thread because its too old.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:35:50 am »
Yeah the ThermalCamera+ is really the best app. But it's been taken offline and the developer is silent.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermalcamera-and-ios-11-2-problems/

Offline rek

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 11:16:47 am »
I actually spoke with Vernier and they told me that the paid Pro version of their app works fine, but could not guarantee that the free version works, and I indeed had problems with the free version. But that was for iOS 13, their latest update to the Pro version app was 3 years ago, so thats a bit worrying.
The problems I had with the crashes were the paid version  :-// I think it's a case of old software vs. new operating system/hardware.

(For what it's worth, I ended up selling my Flir One, and bought an E4 that I then soft-modded to an E8... the Ex series is much, much easier to walk around and use compared to a smartphone+dongle contraption)

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 11:03:02 am »
Yep its surely that the App manufacturer does not make the apps compatible with new OS updates.

I am generally very hesitant to buy hardware that are dependent on the manufacturer making the software for the hardware compatible with a particular OS, because at some time the manufacturer will stop supporting the hardware and then the hardware might end up as a brick. I think that has already happened with the Gen1 of the FLIR One since they are writing that they can not guarantee that the Gen1 works with their latest FLIR app?

So buying a standalone thermal camera like the E4 might be the better route to go, they are not dependant on future software updates in order to work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf