Author Topic: Flir One Thermal imaging camera teardown and hacks  (Read 115358 times)

Offline Starman

• Contributor
  • It's Just Magic
Re: Flir One Thermal imaging camera teardown and hacks
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 08:17:43 pm »
Hello
Flir just released new Flir One iphone app version 1.5.0 a couple days ago. It combines the other apps (flir one, close up, pano, video, photo, time lapse) into one. Also adds two new pallets.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 03:43:12 am »
For those who aren't following the Mu Optics developments, there are good news and bad news.

The bad news: Mu Optics is no longer delivering their product. I can't say I'm surprised.
The good news: FLIR and Seek Thermal are offering a 10% discount (the FLIR discount only applies to the FLIR One) to people who have contributed to the Mu Optics campaign. The FLIR discount code is: U92VQGF4.

More details here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mu-thermal-camera-a-great-tool-to-save-on-energy-costs#activity

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 07:02:49 pm »
Lepton extreme teardown :
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:31 pm »
Lepton sensor electron microscope images:

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:02 pm »
Lepton sensor electron microscope images:

I think I see a few bad pixels in that video  :-DD

Many thanks to Mike, Jonathan, and ?Sasha? for giving us such a in depth look into it!

Offline wertyq

• !
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 03:25:44 pm »
What camera you use???? very good image ! My friend reccomend me this site with camera http://www.atncorp.com/thermal-security-camera  What you can sat about it? :palm:

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Offline tomas123Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 09:51:48 am »
Flir App delivers the new Flir One Firmware : 1.0.10

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:51 pm »
Flir App delivers the new Flir One Firmware : 1.0.10

Updated to 1.0.10 but the Flir One 2.0.1 application is still garbage; 1.0.10 crashed on the first attempt due to the 2.0.1 application issues losing connectivity with Rosebud.  Second attempt and 1.0.10 went on fine, release notes says (paraphrased) "Increased time between tuning during warm-up".  Hopefully they fix 2.0.1 I'm using Flir Tools until they do.  I'm not the only one having issues, all reviews in the App Store reflect similar experiences to mine.

Still hoping someone has the IPA for Flir One 1.5.2 application so I can downgrade.

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2015, 06:31:27 pm »
FLIR just released firmware 1.0.11 for the FLIR ONE gen1 which addresses the connectivity issues introduced in FLIR ONE 2.0.1.  It takes a few tries to get the firmware to "take" due to the connectivity issues.  Also, a battery of 100% is reported as less than 50% (seems math error) but 99% worked fine.

Offline chobochobo

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 04:45:07 am »
Hello all, I just joined five minutes ago.

I'm interested in using a thermal imager for helping diagnosing the depth of burns. I've read the paper by Riddle et al in 2012 describing the use of the FLIR SC660 for burns assessment. I'm wondering if the FLIR one for the ios/ android can do a comparable job. The resolution will be important but the most crucial part is the sensitivity I think - detecting the minor differences in skin temperature will allow better delineation of different depths of burns.

I'm paying for this stuff out of my own pocket, and so am looking for cheap solutions. I've already bought a Structure sensor scanner to use my ipad to acquire 3D images of patients, so I'll probably go for the iOs version. I'm just about to click the button to buy the FLIR one but just wanted to some advice please. Eg the Seek cameras have better thermal resolution but although the sensitivity isn't stated by the manufacturer, the rumours seems to suggest that it's about 0.5C vs 0.1C for the FLIR.

Cheers

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 06:48:27 am »
I guess you should look at the paper and see what kind of temperature differences they see. The SC660 has <30mK thermal sensitivity, whereas the FLIR One is 0.1°C, which is 100mK. Therefore, the SC660 is significantly more sensitive to smaller changes in temperature.

Offline chobochobo

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 08:39:39 am »
Thanks for the reply. The paper shows that a burn will register a surface temperature at 30C compared to 36 for unburnt skin. They compared the temperature profiles between deeper burns and more superficial burns, and the difference is of the order of 1C. Obviously, the greater the sensitivity, the greater the chances of detecting smaller differences. Unfortunately the FLIR SC660 is a bit out of my price range.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:00:21 am by chobochobo »

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 10:58:08 am »
Thanks for the reply. The paper shows that a burn will register a surface temperature at 30C compared to 36 for unburnt skin. They compared the temperature profiles between deeper burns and more superficial burns, and the difference is of the order of 1C. Obviously, the greater the sensitivity, the greater the chances of detecting smaller differences. Unfortunately the FLIR SC660 is a bit out of my price range.

If you look at the tests tomas123 posted earlier in this thread:

a sensitivity test

For comparing the quality of the flir lepton sensor with the Flir Ex / Exx I shot sample images from a (uncooled) beer crate and two bottles of champagne with the same FOV.

Knowingly I shot a image with minimal temperature differences (only 1 Kelvin).
Please note the different temperature scales!

All screenshots from FlirTools after pressing the Auto-Range Button. (without MSX)

Flir One => Lens FOL 2 (80x60)

You can see that when the temperature span is only one degree, the FLIR One does not produce a very good image. That said, we are still able to see temperature differences in the image within 1 degree, so I think it would be usable.

I'm not sure what the minimum temp span within the app is, however you may need to process the image in FLIR Tools app in order to see the differences you need.

Offline chobochobo

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2015, 02:24:00 am »
Thanks. The 'fuzziness' of the image is partly due to the (low) resolution?

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2015, 03:07:07 am »
Thanks. The 'fuzziness' of the image is partly due to the (low) resolution?

I think it's more because of the low temperature span. This results in more noise and the "blockyness" you see is probably a result of the noise reduction working overtime.

Offline chobochobo

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2015, 03:26:30 am »
Thanks. It's all compromises, at the moment I'll take the FLIR ONE over the SEEK because the sensitivity (0.1vs 0.5C) seems more important to me. I'm considering the Therm-App too though even at it's special price of 939 it's the price of about 4 FLIR ONEs.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2015, 07:43:59 am »
Thanks. It's all compromises, at the moment I'll take the FLIR ONE over the SEEK because the sensitivity (0.1vs 0.5C) seems more important to me. I'm considering the Therm-App too though even at it's special price of 939 it's the price of about 4 FLIR ONEs.

While the therm-app offers good resolution and sensitivity, note that due to it's lack of a calibration shutter there seems to be a permanent noise pattern at lower temperature differences.

The above image has a span of 6 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about 3.3 degrees C. As you can see there is a fair bit of noise (that said it still looks better than the FLIR One).

Note however that most of the "noise" you see is a result of non-uniformity, which can be corrected with a shutter. A use here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/430829_Therm_App_Review___Photo___Video___Consolidated_Thread_.html&page=21#i4215973

has used the Therm-App SDK to implement a manual calibration routine which dramatically reduces noise.

Offline chobochobo

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2015, 08:19:28 am »
Thanks. I can't seem to see the images that the guy (Pantheron) posted, the links are broken for me. Hmm choices choices.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2015, 09:36:21 am »
Thanks. I can't seem to see the images that the guy (Pantheron) posted, the links are broken for me. Hmm choices choices.

Also this is supposed to be released sometime this year: http://www.i3-thermalexpert.com/

384 x 288 but more importantly a claimed <50mK NETD (pretty sure it's the same as the "sensitivity" figure quoted by others). This is nearing the 30mK spec of the SC660.

One weird thing I encountered when checking the specs is this:

The FLIR Lepton (the core used inside the FLIR One) claims a thermal sensitivity of <50mK, however the spec sheet for the FLIR One claims 100mK. Either they're just quoting that so that the FLIR One doesn't affect the sales of their other products (and the FLIR One really has a sensitivity of 50mK), or they're doing something funny like adding noise (which they have done before on the FLIR E4 for example, where they're quoting a 150mK spec when in reality the sensor is <60mK, but they've just added noise).

Offline chobochobo

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 09:50:33 am »
That's very useful, thanks.

Offline chobochobo

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2015, 06:03:03 am »
I'm going to try a FLIR one first, and then maybe try either the therm-app or thermal expert. Thanks all.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2015, 08:14:52 am »
I'm going to try a FLIR one first, and then maybe try either the therm-app or thermal expert. Thanks all.
This post from earlier in the thread my be interesting: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-one-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown-and-hacks/msg553249/#msg553249

At least with the previous gen FLIR One, FLIR are definitely adding noise on purpose.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2015, 04:26:33 pm »
Far from being the toy I feared, I just used the discounted Flie One gen 1 I bought a couple of weeks ago to debug a board.

There was a short somewhere on a DC-DC 9V to 15V 1.5A SMPS. After checking the "obvious" parts like mosfets and schottkys with a multimeter in circuit, I drew a blank. Light bulb in head says, time to use that Flir thingy.

I used a bench PSU, current limited to about 300mA. Switched the bench supply on, a ceramic cap on the back of the board lit up like a Christmas tree. 300mA was probably more than enough.

Closer inspection under the microscope showed a hairline clack in the cap, a 1206 10uF 35V job, luckily I had a spare in stock, I don't usually stock ceramics at that kind of value at that voltage.

The parallax error between the Lapton and video cameras is an annoyance, but I just prodded my finger into shot to locate the offending part.

The only problem now is to remember that I have the device when something like this comes up again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf