Author Topic: flir python library  (Read 5196 times)

Offline waspinatorTopic starter

• Contributor
flir python library
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:08 pm »
I was given a Flir Tau 2 640, and I'd like to capture images with it using python. Do I need to use their SDK? Does anyone have any experience interfacing Flir.

I found a project on github that seems to have the same goal, but I'm not sure if it's actually ready to use.
https://github.com/lamphej/pyFLIR

Thanks

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: flir python library
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 01:05:41 pm »
The Tau2 640 radiometric thermal imaging camera (I'm assuming it's 25/30Hz model), has an inbuilt buffer that allows you to capture up to 20 images, however as it stands, you cannot capture radiometric images without a special camera link breakout board and the SDK, which will set you back about $2500. We've got the same problem with our Tau2 640 and we don't really want to give FLIR any more of our money, for a product which should be usable out of the box!

Offline waspinatorTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 07:13:33 pm »
so the FLIR Tau VPC Module with the analog coaxial and mini USB port, can only capture analog data? Is the USB port only for configuration, without the ability to transfer digital image data?

I'm not a fan of camera link, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

How are you getting data out of it right now? Just analog?

It seems that analog output is only meant for visualization. Can't get actual temperatures from it.
http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/knowledgebase/index.cfm?CFTREEITEMKEY=354&view=63107

I only need to capture temperature data at 0.5-1fps, but I hoped to use the USB port to do so.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:23:53 pm by waspinator »

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »
so the FLIR Tau VPC Module with the analog coaxial and mini USB port, can only capture analog data? Is the USB port only for configuration, without the ability to transfer digital image data?

I'm not a fan of camera link, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

How are you getting data out of it right now? Just analog?

It seems that analog output is only meant for visualization. Can't get actual temperatures from it.
http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/knowledgebase/index.cfm?CFTREEITEMKEY=354&view=63107

I only need to capture temperature data at 0.5-1fps, but I hoped to use the USB port to do so.

You can get very limited data out of it. You have the ability to save a non-radiometric 8-Bit jpeg or 14-Bit Tiff. It is also possible to download some RAW temperature values in csv format, however it takes about 2 minutes or greater, to do so.

If you want any digital data, you will need a camera link or 3rd party module. Even then, not all of them can do it!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf