Author Topic: FLIR T4325ZS 320x240 25Hz PTZ cheap on eBay UK  (Read 7216 times)

Offline UltrapurpleTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
FLIR T4325ZS 320x240 25Hz PTZ cheap on eBay UK
« on: May 11, 2021, 01:02:47 pm »
There have been a few T4325ZS PTZ cameras on eBay (UK) recently from different sellers, seemingly concentrated around the Leeds / Rotherham area. They are on sale at about £650, which is a bargain. I managed to get one for significantly less than that because it was up for auction and nobody else bid!

What I received was a brand new, factory sealed box with a very nice T4325ZS (320 x 240, 25Hz) thermal camera with integrated pan/tilt mount, cables and so on - it even included rawlbolts for mounting to a wall. The cameras work as IP, analogue or MPX (don't know what that is - can anyone help?) and take Pelco D commands.

I cannot vouch for any of the sellers but I can confirm that the cameras do exist because I've now got one. I believe FLIR has discontinued them, but given that the original list price was in the region of US$4,000, even paying £650 is a bargain and several have changed hands nearer the £400 mark. That is an absolute steal.

When time permits I will post some photos and screendumps etc, but it's not likely to be for a few days at least.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:43:58 pm by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FLIR T4325ZS 320x240 25Hz PTZ cheap on eBay UK
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 07:49:41 pm »
Can't argue that it's a good price even at 650, if I didn't already have some CCTV cores then I'd be interested myself (my highest priority is to get a decent radiometric core).

The "MPX" thing is an awful halfway step along the path from SD analogue CCTV to HD IP cameras - it is an analogue HD resolution composite video signal, I believe with some cable equalisation based on high frequency content (i.e. it guesses, and often gets it wrong). I've worked with the similar "HDTVI" and it deserves to die in a fire from what I saw.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 05:55:47 am »
Ah I was watching that to see how much it'd go for and apparently, not a lot! Will see what happens to the current listings and see if they drop any more.

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 12:29:36 pm »
Hi, have you managed to get some photos of this yet?
Im interested in getting one to work as cctv overlooking our smallholding. Weve had equipment stolen and cctv cameras installed on each of our buildings vandalised, so are looking into getting something that we can use and mount on the house which allows us to cover the entire area. Will this pick up people from a distance or does it only do close in work?

One listing claims it will work with a standard ptz controller- is this plug and play or will i need computer language skills? 

Thanks

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 02:14:31 pm »
Hi Happyhalf

Unfortunately I haven't yet had the opportunity to do much with the camera apart from confirm that it works. Picture quality looks good, on the basis of what I saw. The camera assembly is about the size of a football and came with a wall mount.

I don't have any experience with PTZ but from what I've heard it's simply a matter of connecting two wires between the controller and camera. It's one of those rare cases when technology from lots of different companies is interoperable and 'just works'.

Without knowing details of your location I can't specifically advise on range and so on but if it's any help here's a test I did as few years ago with a generally comparable camera. The FLIR has a 19mm lens so is roughly equivalent to the bottom row of images. Please only look at the at relative sizes of the person at 10 paces and 100 paces; other aspects of the image quality are not directly comparable. In particular, the image contrast is substantially worse than you'd expect to see from the FLIR PTZ camera.

If you click on the images you'll go to a page that describes the test in much more detail, and have access to the original high resolution images.

You may also find this informative. The 19mm-lens camera image was dropped over a phone camera image at exactly the right size to show the relative field of view. Again, click through for more info.

I just realised I made those images some seven years ago. Time flies!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 02:51:16 pm by Ultrapurple »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 02:43:23 pm »
This is the kind of image quality you can get from a good quality uncooled LWIR camera like the FLIR PTZ we're discussing.

This sample is actually fractionally higher resolution than you'd get from the FLIR but it is representative of that class of imager under good conditions.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 02:52:21 pm by Ultrapurple »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 03:32:48 pm »
This is representative of the image you might get. The person (red arrow) was behind a thin wintry hedge, not visible to the naked eye (but also not trying to conceal themselves either). Distance from camera about 30m.

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 03:42:51 pm »
Thanks to both of you. Looks like it may do the trick- with zoom identifying targets will be easier. I was looking at a flir photon on ebay with a 50mm lens but someone snatched it up. At least this has a wsterproof housing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 04:06:02 pm »
If you're thinking about putting a thermal camera outside then I would absolutely recommend you buy one specifically designed for the purpose otherwise damp will get in and wreak expensive havoc.

One exception is that the ex Fire Service cameras (Argus 2, Argus 3) are designed to be waterproof (and even fireman-proof), but they're relatively bulky and it would be a pig of a job to fashion a swivel & tilt mount. Also, on eBay (UK) they have a habit of being priced way beyond their real value.

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 04:22:20 pm »
Hi sorry so is this t4325zs not okay to put outside then?
I figured as its a "cctv" camera it would be.

Do you know what cores are in the argus's and if these are capable of the same or better distances?! 
There is an argus 4 on ebay at the moment  and seller has sent an offer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 04:31:35 pm by Happyhalf »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 04:44:14 pm »
The FLIR T4325ZS is designed for outdoor mounting in unprotected locations.

You'll find a lot of information on the Argus cameras (and many, many others) on this site: I encourage you to look around. Information specific to the Argus cameras can also be found at www.fire-tics.co.uk.

£1000 for an Argus 4 would be a great price if it was in the UK (or even in the EU). Leaving aside such niceties as import duty and VAT, do not underestimate the legal issues surrounding the international transfer of high resolution high frame rate thermal cameras. There are a whole load of arms limitation treaties that you would do well to read about before considering attempting to buy a thermal imager from beyond the UK. It even makes no difference that the camera was originally designed and built in the UK. Personally, I wouldn't touch a high-tech thermal camera that was supposed to be coming from India. Even if it wasn't from a seller with nearly 5000 items on offer and yet has fewer than 20 feedback ratings as either a buyer or seller in the last 6 months. 

I know I sound like a drama queen but people have gone to jail for sending thermal cameras across borders.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 04:54:18 pm by Ultrapurple »

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:08 pm »
No you are quite right to be wary and your advice about importing is welcomed. I want to catch theives not end up in jail myself.

Ok so it sounds like the t4325zs is perfect of it is okay for outside use. Thanks for your help.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 08:45:02 pm »
Just for clarity, I'm not suggesting anything has been stolen. The laws around 'dual use' (ie half-decent) thermal cameras are strict and have little to do with actual ownership.

I have an American-made science-grade thermal camera that I bought secondhand, quite properly, here in the UK. But if I had bought exactly the same make and model of camera in exactly the same used condition, in person, in the USA, I would be in for a world of pain, particularly if I tried to bring it to the UK for my own use. We're talking massive fines and serious jail time. If a US Citizen bought it for their own use in the USA, that would be OK. But if my American friend bought it - perfectly legally - in the USA and then mailed it to me, they would be in for the big fines and jail time.

It's a strange world and it isn't just the USA who plays hardball. Have a look round this forum for "Wassenar", "ITAR", "EAR".

I'm not trying to scare anyone for the sake of it. I'm just trying to make it abundantly clear that the Powers That Be tend to control decent thermal cameras with the same zeal as, say, nuclear weapons. (An exception seems to be anything manufactured in China, because the Chinese seem much more relaxed about selling their home-grown technology - but you can still get into trouble with (eg) the UK authorities for exporting a Chinese-designed and Chinese-made thermal camera to places like, er, China. Go figure.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:47:40 pm by Ultrapurple »

The following users thanked this post: Happyhalf

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:03 pm »
I bought one of these - only had a very brief play, but definitely NOT suitable for outdoor use.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:52:32 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 09:35:28 pm »

Do you know what cores are in the argus's and if these are capable of the same or better distances?! 
There is an argus 4 on ebay at the moment  and seller has sent an offer.

If I can be forgiven a website plug, see www.fire-tics.co.uk

All Argus fire cameras are 50 degree horizontal field of view, as are similar cameras from ISG / Bullard etc give or take a bit.

Argus2 and Argus3 are Raytheon BST 320x240 30Hz

Argus4 is e2v own design electronics with ULIS sensors, but which sensor that is varies with model significantly.

As for that camera on eBay...AVOID I will start a new thread  :box: :palm: :horse:

Bill

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:16:20 pm by Bill W »

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 01:06:29 am »
What makes you say that?
Ive read they are ip66 rated, which would suggest otherwise.
Please do share, it may be cheap in the world of thermal imagers but £600 is still alot of money to pay if i kill it by putting it outside.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 09:18:29 am »
Just took another look, and actually looks rather better than I first thought, and there isn't an IP rating in the label or included leaflets.
The "ball" appears fairly well sealed - water could get in the gap between the ball and the side pieces, but presumably the bearings are reasonably well sealed - seems to be quite a lot of grease.

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 04:47:34 am »
Sorry to pester again guys.
Ive noticed the camera runs on 24vac.
It was my intention to run this on the security sytem we already have- which is seperate from the mains as we suffer from powercuts often.
Is it possible to power this from a 12v battery bank or would i need a converter of some sort. Cheers.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 08:42:08 am »
Sorry to pester again guys.
Ive noticed the camera runs on 24vac.
It was my intention to run this on the security sytem we already have- which is seperate from the mains as we suffer from powercuts often.
Is it possible to power this from a 12v battery bank or would i need a converter of some sort. Cheers.
It will run on 24VDC

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 12:51:05 pm »
Do you know what kind of amp 12v to 24v step up id need?
Would 10 amps do it or do i need more. Cheers pal

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 12:56:31 pm »
Takes under 1 amp at 24V

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 01:18:25 pm »
 Supurb. Thanks.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 03:34:40 pm »
There are plenty of step-up voltage converters on eBay and suchlike. Just make sure you choose one rated at least twice the power the camera needs. eBay watts are at least twice the size of engineering watts.

A 50W converter will be fine. Within reason there's no major downside to having a converter rated at more than you need, but using one that's even fractionally too small is a recipe for pain.

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2021, 12:57:59 am »
Thanks for that- both of you.
Ive fallen foul of the ebay watt befpre with a 200w solar panel that was no bigger than a shert of A4 paper.🥴

I ordered a 12-24 step up 10amp 72w converter.
Given what you say it should hopefully be adequate bit i can test when it arrives to see what it actually is.

Offline Happyhalf

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 04:06:43 pm »
Thought id update this.
Camera arrived, and its been hooked up to a monitor to test. Looks good.
I bought a ptz control keyboard and it took a day to figure out how to get the two talking but it works. The instructions for the keyboard were all in symbols so many youtube videos later i stumbled across a video that connected a ptz direct to keyboard and a keyboard the same as mine. It worked.

Flir do say they have their own gui but its not available anymore due to being discontinued. They called it the flir cloud client and it allowed you to access the camera settings over pc. I found a link hidden in the flir underworld away from the prodyct pages to something called lorax cloud which is essentially the same but for the life of me cant get it to connect to the camera via LAN cable which is supposed to auto detect.

So i just have the keyboard.
For that you have pan and tilt. Zoom doesnt work and you cant change colours or do anything else.

I have asked flir for more information regarding functionality and how i can find a compromise as i dont want to have to set up an entire pc lab to be able to access all the needed, basic functions like pan tilt zoom and colour pallete. So far getting help from them has been rarer than hens teeth.

Ive seen push button controllersfor zoom and colour
 being advertised here for the flir photon and have to say that having such a functionality for this camera combined with the ptz joystick would be excellent. Its well outside of my capabilities though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf