Author Topic: FLIR T440bx hacking - custom application for Ex/Exx/Txxx cameras, UltraMax  (Read 28475 times)

Offline Spirit532Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
I'll post an update here when I have something more interesting to show. I'm really going for a custom GUI called up by a key combination or double click - the rest is pretty simple.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
The Ex and Exx camera custom menu is a go!
Here is what I have accomplished at the time of writing this post:
  • Persistence - the hack can be loaded automatically at boot time(not done yet), and it retains all the internal information at runtime, regardless how many times you close the window.
  • UI elements - I have full control over the WinCE default UI, including messages and elements.
  • Global keyboard/input hook - I can trigger app functionality from anywhere within the system, on any physical button or specific action(long press, quick tap, etc).
  • A persistent configuration file - for storing custom settings and whatnot.
  • Write access to FLIR's internal registry(which is not related to WinCE) - for enabling/disabling camera functionality, and basically anything you can do with "rset", and then some(sequencing).
  • A persistent configuration file - for storing the menu's settings across reboots.
  • The ability to record a short(5-10s, due to RAM limits), completely raw, radiometric image sequence to the SD card or internal flash.

What I don't have at the moment:
  • Reading FLIR's internal registry - WinCE does not support pipes, and the only way to read the registry without reverse-engineering FLIR code is via "rls.exe", which outputs to either console or file(see next point).
  • File read functionality - this may be a "bad code" issue, but CreateFileW simply does not want to open any files anywhere on the system except the flash root. This isn't an awful issue, but it's something to keep in mind.
  • A way to convert the radiometric image sequence into an UltraMax-compatible image, either on-camera or off-camera. I don't think it makes sense to put all the code on-camera(though possible), but I will likely need help with actually creating UltraMax-compatible images. A temporary workaround is to manually do SuperResolution using something like ImageJ, ImageMagick, or Photoshop.

I have made a short video to demonstrate the hack functioning on the camera.
Please note that while I am launching this hack via telnet, the end result should be just a few file replacements(like with the regular E4 hack, but without CRCs), and a single telnet command to install the hack, making it persist across reboots without any user intervention.

In this particular case, the hack was configured to open the menu on a 2-second press of the joystick.

Let me know if there are any specific features you'd like to see implemented.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Another small update.

• Added full keyboard support(for the Ex series), no touch interface required. The settings now stay on the camera as a plaintext ".ini" file.
  • Added persistency. App now loads at boot time, no user intervention required.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:02:58 am by Spirit532 »

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
I've written a small key mapping app to determine the keyboard layout on FLIR Txxx/Ex/Exx series cameras. It should be compatible with any ARMV4I device running Windows CE 5.0 and higher, but I assume no responsibility for anything that might happen when you run it.

If you would like the hack application to run on your camera model, please use this tool on your camera and record which keycode the buttons represent.

A short guide on how to do this:
  • Upload keymapper.exe into the /system directory via FTP.
  • Connect to the camera via telnet, using the same IP address you use for FTP.
  • Run "keymapper" from the terminal window.
  • Press every button, write the corresponding vkCode down. Preferably, overlay it on a photo of your device for reference.
  • When done, restart the device, or kill the app from another terminal with "ps -k keymapper".

Download here:
https://spirit.re/projects/files/wince_key_mapper/keymapper.exe

More info here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:11:46 am by Spirit532 »

Offline David C

• Contributor
Re: FLIR T440bx hacking - custom application for Ex/Exx/Txxx cameras, UltraMax
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 06:17:52 am »
Cool work, I'm excited to see what comes next !

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 08:34:19 pm »
I believe I have enough features implemented in this app to begin testing compatibility with other devices(Ex and Exx cameras).

If anyone is interested and has a device that they would like to test on, please reply in this thread and I'll PM you with further info.
For now the testing will be done in private, but I do plan on releasing this publicly, for free.

Offline David C

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 10:23:44 pm »
Interested with E4 wifi

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 03:40:09 am »
PM sent! Still looking for more people though.

Also added another feature - an automatic focus stacker/racking tool that creates a 60-frame sequence as it pulls through the entire focus range of the camera(Txxx only, because this needs autofocus).

Now comes the hard part - creating something to read and export the ".seq" files created by the camera, do stacking(or superresolution), and then convert them into standard radiometric JPEGs or something like that.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:22 am »
Now comes the hard part - creating something to read and export the ".seq" files created by the camera, do stacking(or superresolution), and then convert them into standard radiometric JPEGs or something like that.

I posted last 5 years something in this forum about .seq, stacking, ultramax and creating FLIR radiometric JPEGs from 16 bit tiff files.
I can help you, to find this bread crumbs ;-)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:44:31 am by tomas123 »

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 02:10:52 pm »
I've read your posts during the creation of this hack, they've been quite helpful. PM sent about the other stuff.

Offline David C

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 02:27:52 am »
Here's the tree file from my E4 wifi with advanced package upgrade. I blacked out the serial number and SUID with XXX's.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 08:18:49 pm »
Small update: The hack is now compatible with the Ex-series cameras, thanks to David C.

If anyone has an Exx-series camera and would like to help test the hack, please PM me with your Skype username or other preferred method of realtime contact.

I will be releasing the hack publicly and will start accepting feature requests once the Exx version is fully functional.

Offline David C

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 02:54:15 am »
Spirit's work is wonderful, it would be great if someone with an Exx camera could join in. The hack really maximize the camera potential.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 07:24:18 am »
I have an Exx, P6xx, A6xx and T6xx camera available, that I can try and see if u can get this on. Obviously, they are units in service currently, so would need to make sure a) free for testing b) I have permission to test on.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 10:22:11 am »
Another E4 Wifi test successful, this time by the user "Myself"

I have an Exx, P6xx, A6xx and T6xx camera available, that I can try and see if u can get this on. Obviously, they are units in service currently, so would need to make sure a) free for testing b) I have permission to test on.

PM Sent!

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:17 pm »
Another update.
The hack has been tested successfully to be fully compatible with FLIR T4xx, Ex Wifi, and Exx cameras, independent of firmware versions.

It will be released as soon as I have a full tutorial and user guide written up, to make sure it's simple to set up.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, Zucca

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Hello Spirit532

Amazing accomplishment here and cool to see your in-progress videos!  I have just purchased Flir E4 WiFi and will get in a few days.  It looks like you already completed the testing to ensure compatibility with this camera, but if you need another test data point just PM me :)

I notice your work here supports many camera models, but I am wondering in-relation to Flir E4 WiFi, how does this approach compare to the alternative of Bud detailed here.  I guess I cannot run both...so I am curious of the differences.  Could you summarize?

In the meantime I will wait for my camera to arrive! :D

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
You can run both, I've ensured (almost) complete compatibility with Bud's hack. It's meant to go on top of Bud's hack on cameras where it exists(Ex and Exx), to extend functionality to that which cannot be done with static UI edits.
The hack is almost ready to run on all three series, I'm just a bit busy at the moment so I don't have time to write up a use/installation guide, without which the hack is somewhat pointless as it needs persistence(over reboots).

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
You can run both, I've ensured (almost) complete compatibility with Bud's hack. It's meant to go on top of Bud's hack on cameras where it exists(Ex and Exx), to extend functionality to that which cannot be done with static UI edits.
The hack is almost ready to run on all three series, I'm just a bit busy at the moment so I don't have time to write up a use/installation guide, without which the hack is somewhat pointless as it needs persistence(over reboots).

Wow! I didn't expect that it was possible to run both!  Amazing that this is an "add on" pack to Bud's work!  Will be great to read a little summary of the additions added by your work.  Hopefully you can include in your write-up when you get a chance.

Cheers!
Sparky

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Let me know if you need someone to test a E30 (now E60+)

SN 490214xx
PN 49001-1801
FW 2.23.14
Model E30_B 1.1

If don't need it, I will just sit back and wait for the official release.

Many thanks in advance for your hard work.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:33:49 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
My app is ready to run, it's just difficult to set up and doesn't have many features(UltraMax is nowhere to be seen still, aside from 16-image capture).

As for VNC - yes, it's possible. You're going to get a happy WinCE image that is about as useful as you can expect a completely blank WinCE install without a desktop to be. With very angry authoritative graphics that will override your display even when you don't want them to.
You can run Doom on them as well, just drop in the additional graphics libraries. I got it to run, but couldn't get it to load the game WAD and couldn't be bothered to recompile the entirety of a Doom CE port to fix file system issues ;D
Most native WinCE games and apps will work on these cameras, you can definitely have a lot of fun doing some things.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Hi Spirit532,

I have a "virgin" E50bx Mk1 I can try it on. Any idea if you are close to being ready? :)

/k

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Hi Spirit532,

I have a "virgin" E50bx Mk1 I can try it on. Any idea if you are close to being ready? :)

/k

You'll want to hack it to E60bx+, my app doesn't do that. It only expands upon the existing hack functionality.
As for readiness, probably soon. Overloaded with work and real life right now.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Big update: The hack has been released! For more information, downloads, and full tutorial, go to https://spirit.re/projects/flir_hack.php

Video tutorial(referencing the page):

Yes, I know there's a typo in the video.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf