Author Topic: generating income with thermal imaging as a hobbyist?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline ixfd64Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
generating income with thermal imaging as a hobbyist?
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:39:08 am »
As thermal imaging is a pretty hot (no pun intended) topic these days, I've been wondering: are there any good ways for non-professional users of thermal cameras to make money from them?

For professional users, the equipment would quickly pay for itself. But moonlighting as a home inspector isn't really an option for people who aren't in the industry as the training fees would incur a considerable cost unless one commits to doing thermography-related work full-time. The only thing I could come up is to rent out cameras (for local pick-up) as thermal imaging is in high demand nowadays. Anyone know of any other methods?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:52:46 pm by ixfd64 »

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
Re: generating income with thermal imaging as a hobbyist?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:06:42 pm »
I've heard some rumours that it's fairly easy to generate a nice income by pretending you can build a thermal imaging camera for the masses  >:D

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:13:02 pm »
Perhaps you could try and crowd-fund a way of converting an inexpensive thermal imaging camera into a makeshift mobile telephone?

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:19:58 pm »
As thermal imaging is a pretty hot (no pun intended) topic these days, I've been wondering: are there any good ways for non-professional users of thermal cameras to make money from them?

For professional users, the equipment would quickly pay for itself. But moonlighting as a home inspector isn't really an option for people who aren't in the industry as the training fees would incur a considerable cost unless one commits to doing thermography-related work full-time. The only thing I could come up is to rent out cameras (for local pickup) as thermal imaging is in high demand nowadays. Anyone know of any other methods?

With respect to make money with a thermal camera ... forget it as an hobby, it is a professional job and you need interpretation knowledge.

eurofox

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:23:18 pm »

For professional users, the equipment would quickly pay for itself. But moonlighting as a home inspector isn't really an option for people who aren't in the industry as the training fees would incur a considerable cost unless one commits to doing thermography-related work full-time. The only thing I could come up is to rent out cameras (for local pickup) as thermal imaging is in high demand nowadays. Anyone know of any other methods?

With respect to make money with a thermal camera ... forget it as an hobby, it is a professional job and you need interpretation knowledge.

This really, without formal qualifications it's difficult to generate any money - well in the UK. Cowboys are heavily frowned upon especially if they make wild judgements about what they see in the thermal images. Time and time again we have companies come to us to carry out surveys after someone has caused them to rip out expensive machinery to find no fault! If you're in the UK, check out iRed or PCN thermography training. Not too expensive!

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 02:02:30 pm »
One route could be spares and repairs to other less skilled hobbyists.  Compare the prices of 'working with good battery' cameras on eBay to 'broken this / missing that'.

Some knowledge clearly needed, but .................. ;)

Bill

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf