Products > Thermal Imaging

Got Argus2 + ISI Surveyor, have some comments and questions

(1/3) > >>

Logan:
Hi, I just got those BST cameras arrived. Luckily both are in good working condition.
Here's some questions/comments:

Argus:
Q1. I removed the CRT, how can I also remove the HV parts?
Q2. Is the core working in fixed gain mode like Argus 3? Or full auto?
Q3. Can I bypass the GUI overlay and get a clean composite output?
C1. The GUI refresh is really slow, although I don't care.
C2. The picture is not flat, even with lens blocked. There's several brighter/darker rings, look like bad lens quality?

ISI:
C1. The core is a "half" S300A, not a digital one like advertised. It's indeed physically half: The bottom is Raytheon original, the top cover is custom.
C2. So I can easily throw away all custom boards, the direct composite video out is good without overlays.
Q1. Anyone have the pinout for S300A 20pin connectors? There are 5 additional pins with leaded wire, I want to know what they do.

Both:
Why are both sensor cracked  |O
I bought them from different seller, and they both look/work well, but one sensor have a crack on the bottom, another on the side  :palm:
Edit: only the ISI is cracked, Argus not.

Thanks for reading and welcome to reply.

Bill W:

--- Quote from: Logan on September 17, 2022, 02:15:01 pm ---Hi, I just got those BST cameras arrived. Luckily both are in good working condition.
Here's some questions/comments:

Argus:
Q1. I removed the CRT, how can I also remove the HV parts?
Q2. Is the core working in fixed gain mode like Argus 3? Or full auto?
Q3. Can I bypass the GUI overlay and get a clean composite output?
C1. The GUI refresh is really slow, although I don't care.
C2. The picture is not flat, even with lens blocked. There's several brighter/darker rings, look like bad lens quality?

--- End quote ---

Q1 - The whole board can come off.  It is a stand alone display.  The analogue out is simply wired through.

Q2 - Yes.  it is fixed gain / offset with the Argus iris control run from the analogue video.

Q3 - Yes - take it from the 80 way connector output from the core.  I think the earlier teardown threads on here have the pin number you need.  There are two video outs - one without syncs which we used for the iris and one with syncs (probably) which goes nowhere except a test pin.  No circuit immediately to hand.

C1  Yes.  A very slow microcontroller bit bashing into a dual port video RAM.  To speed up the refresh it 'starts' at the top of the battery bar / temperature readout.

C2 - Reflections from the internal face of the lens - narcissus effects seeing the sensor die temperature.  No easy fix with that lens design pattern and the chopper wheel alternately covering and clearing.

regards
Bill

Logan:
Thanks a lot Bill.

BTW, I just found mine have analog version core inside, unlike Fraser's digital version.

There are also several jumpers and pots inside, I'll try them later to find out what are they for...

Bill W:
It depends a bit on which version of the detector board you have got in the camera, there were 5 or more variations.  The 'digital BST' ones (slight variation in 80 way pinout) and some later analogues has the facility to bypass the auto gain and replace with pots.  I tidied up how it was presented a bit in the later design iterations
However none were sold with pots fitted.  The pot on the BST core is for shutter phase adjustment.

Later in the 'Argus3 repair' thread i answered some queries about the Argus 2 board.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/argus-3-(bst)-teardown-and-repairs/44/

Pots on display PCB are your usual old TV controls - height / brightness / focus etc.
Will be labelled in legend with something not too cryptic !

Bill

Logan:
Thanks Bill!

Some new little discovers:

The 6 jumpers on the Argus control board do nothing really useful, but with certain combinations, it can make the normal thermal screen having a border on top, saying "Argus"...

On the 20pin connector of S300A, pull pin 7 to low change to black hot.

Argus motor driver stablized at ~2.4v, while S300A stablized at ~1.25v. Maybe the longer shaft gives Argus more load?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version