Author Topic: Guide PC210 thermal camera - (anyone) <=(I am) familiar with this device?  (Read 11086 times)

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
Re: Guide PC210 thermal camera - (anyone) <=(I am) familiar with this device?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2022, 12:15:59 pm »
I actually don't understand the way that GuideIR handle their Firmware

First of all, they don't offer it on their site.. And when I got mine I wrote to them asking if there was a newer firmware (even though I knew I had the version from Eleshop.. They told me they would get back to me... But they never did.. Not even to check if I actually had the latest version.

Since then I have written to them a few times about the odd bug/problem I have found... And finally wrote again to see if there any new Firmware (in the vague hope that they had added/fixed anything)... Again they told me that a Product Manager would be in touch, but they never did.

So I don't think that we will ever see a Firmware update provided by GuideIR.. So what we have today is all we are getting...

Offline markb1980

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2022, 11:14:55 pm »
Processes (sepcially ones with lower priority) take time in huger companies - Hikmicro needed 4 or 5 months to add features and fixes which I suggested into the Pocket2 firmware.
Pentester, Digital forensics examiner, Data recovery technitian, Author for various books
Learn thermal imaging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5KXF41Q/ | https://www.facebook.com/groups/1816479168568552 | https://thermal-image-samples.com/thermal-pixel-peeping/

Offline zhe song

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2022, 06:28:04 am »
Hello,
It seems that Eleshop doesn't share anymore the firmware, so I post it here the 1.36 version from 05/2022.

If there is somewhat illegal, don't hesitate to tell me, I will remove it  :-+
Hello, I'm Zhe Song from the GUIDE Sansmart after-sales team in Wuhan, China.

Your provided firmware is old, and now the latest firmware is V1.4.3. I hope you can remove this firmware. since many customers have been misinformed. Cause after-sale loss.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 11:36:05 am »
Having read the updates in Ceut’s post earlier in this thread, I see that the updating of firmware on this camera camera carries a risk of bricking it through deletion of the calibration tables. That is not a good situation and I can understand the manufacturer ceasing release of new firmware to the public as a result. That said, if the camera has firmware bugs, I would expect the manufacturer to make the effort to correct them. So many products seems to effectively become “abandonware” when it comes to the release of firmware updates to fix issues. The fact that a firmware update can delete the calibration tables of the camera is a bug in itself ! Poor coding and poor protection of the calibration table.

I will repeat what I have said many times before though….. if your camera is working and has no annoying bugs, think very carefully before installing a firmware update as the process does carry a risk on most cameras. Some firmware updates are purely for “housekeeping” and the risk of installing them outweighs any benefit. New firmware can actually introduce new bugs that were not present in earlier versions. It is something I see a lot …. people, want to install the latest firmware in the belief that it must be better than any earlier versions. This is not always the case and owners should do their research before updating the firmware… you risk ending up with a mess that can be expensive to fix ! Due diligence applies.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:47:15 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: katzenhai2

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2022, 03:32:36 pm »
Really gutted to learn that we won't be able to update our cameras.. I have spotted a few really annoying things which I would hope/assume are fixed and I would like to update just like I do with all my devices.. I get the reasons we can't.. But they surely should have taken this into account when developing such a product.. In this day and age its normal, if not expected to have the option to update..

Also, not to mention the fact that there could be other features added which we won't have..

I am seeing a friend on New Years eve who bought a PC210 a few weeks back, so will check his version and see if I can spot anything which is different.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2022, 04:42:26 pm »
Sadly, unless explicitly stated in sales literature, a manufacturer does not have to provide firmware updates or bug fixes if the product is considered ‘fit for purpose’. Many manufacturers are somewhat nervous about providing firmware updates to the general public (as opposed to service agents) due to the potential of bricking the product during a botched update or glitch in the process. Such events lead to customer returns (often stating that the product “just died in use”) or customer support calls leading to RMA’s. Some manufacturers go to great lengths to make the process of a firmware update as safe to the system as possible. Such does take some development effort though. As a society we have become used to the availability of firmware updates but not so long ago a manufacturer would require a return to base for such an upgrade and many systems did not include a user update process of any sort. This was considered the safe path by the manufacturer.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline zhe song

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2022, 08:24:14 am »
Hello,
It seems that Eleshop doesn't share anymore the firmware, so I post it here the 1.36 version from 05/2022.

If there is somewhat illegal, don't hesitate to tell me, I will remove it  :-+

Edit: I have received a message from @zhe song (GUIDEPC support), and I have removed the FW because now it is an old one, the new one is 1.4.3 .

Edit 2[/u]: After having asking him where we can download the new one, he told me that they don't give the firmware anymore, "because updating the firmware is risky, may cause parameter loss." 
Really disappointed   :-[

So, our Guide PC210 are stuck on the previous version  :(

Edit 3 : Explanation: It seems that the FWupgrade can delete the Temperature curve, that's why they remove the upgrade possibility. And actually the units that have this problem after upgrading need to be send to China for fixing that.

Hello, I think it is important for me to explain here that we will not permanently stop updating the firmware for our customers, we hope that customers contact our after-sales center and ask our after-sales center to provide the upgrade service. This service includes temperature calibration, firmware updates and more. We don't want our customers to take the risk of damaging the camera. We have two after-sales centers in Europe and we will build one in Russia. This work is our company to the public, responsible for products, responsible for customers.

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2022, 11:43:29 am »
Hi Zhe..

Could you provide a release log of what has been fixed between 1.3.6 and 1.4.3?

It would be helpful to know if there was any new functionality to consider whether an upgrade is worth it..

For me, I have been frustrated by a number of little bugs in 1.3.6 and would like the opportunity to upgrade.. But if there were any new features I wouldn't even mind paying for the service!

I only bought my camera a few months back and I will be a little annoyed if my friend, who bought his a week ago on my recommendation has a newer firmware and more features.. I will find out tomorrow night when I see him.

Jon
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 11:45:37 am by jweaver »

Offline sikseb

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2023, 07:47:02 pm »
Hello Zhe Song!

I have just bought a guide pc210 but it comes with 1.2.2 firmware. How can i get it to the new version? This is a brand new device. Also can you confirm what is the difference between version and firmware?

See screenshot.

Thanks

Offline markb1980

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2023, 09:33:03 pm »
Better write hin a private message. He is not active in the forum. Hos only posts was to ask a user to take the firmware-downoad offline.
Basically you have to send the camera to a service-point and propably pay for the firmware-update.
Pentester, Digital forensics examiner, Data recovery technitian, Author for various books
Learn thermal imaging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5KXF41Q/ | https://www.facebook.com/groups/1816479168568552 | https://thermal-image-samples.com/thermal-pixel-peeping/

Offline serenkiy515

• !
Написал. Похоже что он такой же ЕБЛАН, как все участники данной темы.
 Ребят Вы не обижайтесь но Вы конченные. У ВАс попросили прошивку, вы ссылками кидаетесь, о том что кто то запретил обновляться. На*уй такой форум? Для чего, *уй через тепловизор показывать с макролинзой?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf