Author Topic: Honda Legend night vision camera  (Read 3836 times)

Offline TossiTopic starter

Honda Legend night vision camera
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:46:05 pm »
Dear all, I'm from Romania and I need your help: I have a Honda Legend night vision camera which i want to install on my Megane but I have a problem, as it starts but won't output video signal, it is blocked. I saw on some Russian forums that they decoded this type of camera but none tells how to :(...perhaps some of you will help. I will post some pictures later, with it's chipboard.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Re: Honda Legend night vision camera
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:47:09 pm »
On some other automobile thermal camera systems there is a processing unit inbetween the core and the multimedia system.

related thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/honda-night-vision-camera-teardown/

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:07:29 pm »
I know but this type of camera can output video, but I do not know how to decode it. I also have a Cadillac one but it does not output that clear of picture as the honda ones, that's why I want to install this one.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 06:37:46 pm »
In case you have not seen this thread .......

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/honda-night-vision-camera-teardown/

The cameras brochure is here....

http://gpssignal.com/G100%20Brochure.pdf

Sadly, no solution, but maybe some useful information ? Check the part number on your camera and compare it to those shown at the bottom of the brochure. You can then determine whether your camera is the protected version or whether it just has a fault.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:15:15 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 03:31:39 am »
I know that topic, and I also know that the protected ones can be cracked, on forum guns.ru they sell this kind of camera, and I talked with someone from that forum and he says that he sends them to a electronist for decoding.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:34:46 am by Tossi »

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:55:18 am »
Back from a small hollyday with the children: below I posted a view of the top and bottom of the plate, perhaps you can find some clues on how to unlock it. I received an PM from another forum colleague in which he told me that I need an external activator( small box with +/- 12V and conections from 2 wires that remain after +/- for camera and video -NA notes in the last picture ), but nothing more :(.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:58:46 am by Tossi »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 12:46:33 pm »
Sadly your pictures do show a model number that has the protection so it is not just a simple fault preventing the camera operation  :(

The ‘activator’ was likely created by someone who had access to one of these cameras that was still in the host car. Monitoring of communications between the cars electronics and the camera likely revived the information needed to understand the protection system. You are in a difficult position as you only have the camera and no host electronics. Reverse engineering the cameras firmware might be an option but would be a lot of work.

Sadly you have to ask yourself whether the amount of work needed to get this camera working is worth doing. If you can buy the activator from someone on line that might be the way to go, depending upon the cost. You might have to do some deep dives on Russian sites to find a source though.

At the end of the day, these BST thermal cameras are now old technology with an unknown remaining life and they are bulky. More modern camera cores like the FLIR TAU2 with high frame rates are very expensive but a joy to deploy and use. Some cores like the FLIR VUE are designed for Drone use have only a video output and are sold at a reduced price.

In your position I would likely mark this one up to experience and begin hunting for an ex fire brigade thermal camera. These are normally decent resolution and high frame rate. You can then remove the imaging core and mount it in a custom weather proof case. Some fire fighting cameras use the BST cores but later models often contain the Raytheon Thermal eye A-Si or BAE VOx microbolometer cores.

If you want to stick with the BST core technology, you could look for a Cadillac De-Ville core and either restore it using parts from your Honda camera or find one that is in good shape. These remain an affordable 320 x 240 pixel high frame rate camera solution. These seem to pop up on eBay quite often. I have a couple that I will likely rehome but I have yet to finish restoring them.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:49:30 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 03:03:48 pm »
Thank you, I tried in every way to buy one activator for the camera but with no reply( on this forum, on guns.ru and on YouTube - same user )  :(.... I really hoped that I could solve this issue and use the camera on my car...

Attached a lynk to the activator needed.

https://youtu.be/MN3U3Qoje9M
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:06:59 pm by Tossi »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 03:07:30 pm »
Did you write them in their language? Maybe they do not understand English.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 05:00:55 pm »
Yep, also on this forum I wrote him with no reply... :--
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:06:58 pm by Tossi »

Offline John53

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 06:30:20 pm »
I have night vision.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf