Author Topic: FLIR Scout - new modell's firmware for older PS24 modell works?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Razor18Topic starter

FLIR Scout - new modell's firmware for older PS24 modell works?
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:47:43 am »
Hi There,

I have a FLIR Scout PS24, and was just wondering, if replacing it's own FW 03.13.00 with a newer modell's firmware (Scout II firmware 03.43.16 is the latest available at FLIR homepage at least) would work at all, or do anything better? Or is there any way of improving PS24 performance (short of buying a new model of course)  ;D

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FLIR Scout - new modell's firmware for older PS24 modell works?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:50:25 am »
@Fraser is your guy for this, as I believe he owns a similar model. An interesting fact about this camera is that it isn't actually 240x180 it is 320x240 but FLIR just wanted to fill the void in the detector range.

The following users thanked this post: Razor18

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR Scout - new modell's firmware for older PS24 modell works?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:23:28 am »
As far as I am aware, the Scout II firmware will not load onto a PS24.

The Scout II contains upgraded hardware in the form of a 640 x 480 LCD viewfinder in place of the PS series 320 x 240 LCD. Upscaling is employed to convert the 320 x 240 pixel image to the higher resolution EVF.

The PS and Scout II main boards are very similar but the Scout II provides a video output on the mini USB connector as well as the contacts on the bottom of the case.

The Scout II employs the later, and slightly higher performance TAU 2 core. The TAU 1 cannot be upgraded to provide TAU 2 performance. The TAU us a fully open version in these cameras. That is to say, all its unused additional features are present and useable via direct commands to its Serial interface. The command set provided by the processor on the PS orScout II scope is what limits the available functions, it is intended to be a scope rather than a Radiometric camera. The TAU has many colour palettes available that are sadly not used in its PS and Scout II embodiments. See my TAU teardown and repair thread on this forum. I also did a tear down of both a MS224 (PS 24 marine version) and The FLIR HS Commander scope. You will find them in this forum.

As Chanc3 has stated. There is no such resolution as 240 x 180 in the TAU core range and the TAU in the PS24 runs at its standard 320 x 240 resolution. Why Claom 240 x 180 for it ........ Marketing !

The PS and Scout series. Ameras are manufactured by a third party for FLIR and FLIR just provide the TAU core for installation into the design.

Another forum member has managed to modify some firmware from a rifle sight version so that it loads onto the PS series and provides additional functionality. Use at you risk though as it is a hack. Check this forum for details.

Hope this information is of interest.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: Razor18

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf