Author Topic: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion  (Read 106059 times)

Offline chemary

• Contributor
    • CheMaRy Web Page
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2022, 10:14:48 am »
I've got a P2 before and it seems P2 Pro is much better than P2 ? Only the lens? Or maybe the software ?
I'm also curious about that I thought they both have the same sensor and just cut the functionality via firmware, anybody has more info?

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2022, 11:33:31 am »
My P2 Pro review unit will arrive tomorrow (direct from Infiray) and I have managed to source a Samsung A8 (2018) phone to test it on. The 2018 model A8 should have plenty of processing power for the image processing etc.

Once I have familiarised myself with the P2 Pro and it’s software I will post a review on this forum. It should not take too long to write.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline thetan76

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2022, 02:20:07 pm »
to Fraser,
Please check the shortest distance where the picture will  be crisp and clear with the macro lens and without one. And what will be the longest distance with the macro lens attached.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2022, 04:02:30 pm »
I will include this in the testing but Mike has indicated that the macro focus distance is around 25mm and that will have quite a small depth of field. I will test the “with and without” macro lens focus distances though. I will also be interested to see whether a Plano Convex or Meniscus lens is used. The material used for the macro lens is likely moulded IR transmissive Chalcogenide Glass

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 10:04:34 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2022, 02:21:15 pm »
My P2 Pro and Macro lens have just arrived. I love its diminutive size and the very nice design. The Macro lens looks to be either a thick IR transmissive Chalcogenide Glass Meniscus lens or possibly even a doublet.

I will be writing a comprehensive review on the P2 Pro over the coming days  :)

My unit came direct from Yantai IRAY Technology Co. Ltd.

In one of the attached pictures I placed a CR2032 lithium cell along side the P2 Pro as a size reference (it is 20mm diameter)... the P2 Pro is a tiny dongle format camera.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 02:54:08 pm by Fraser »

Offline Gareth79

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2022, 11:50:53 pm »
Oh wow, they definitely put some effort into minimising the size! Crazy stuff.

Offline tomasis

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2022, 07:43:08 am »
i received p2. what PC apps do you recommend? Android app works ok.

If you struggle find an app for P2/Pro, google "night vision go apk" and install it manually. No such app is available in Play Store.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 07:51:00 am by tomasis »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2022, 08:46:45 am »
I have not tried any PC software on the P2 yet but did load the Bluestacks 5 Android emulator software last night to see if that will work. Not tested it with the camera yet.

The official Android software for the P2 Pro is “P2 Pro” and this is available in the Google Play Store. I think Nightvision Go is for the P2 and it may not support the higher temperature range. I found night vision pro in the Google Play store Using my Samsung Galaxy A8. I believe Android 9 or above is the recommended host software. I will need to check Nightvision Go to see if it differs to P2 Pro in any way.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 09:00:30 am by Fraser »

Offline tomasis

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2022, 09:55:47 am »
ok, Apk "night vision go" is same as P2 Pro. Once the app is installed then the title P2 Pro appears in my phone.

Strangely, I cannot find P2 Pro in Google Play store. The same thing happened with the other Chinese devices (BMS and such).

P2 works fine with P2 Pro app. I tested it up to 200 degrees until Burnt image protection kicks in.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2022, 10:14:10 am »
That is the one  :-+

Could it be that Google Play store only shows Apps for which a particular phone is adequately specified ? That is, phones that are running Android 9 or later ?

The Chinese writing was a little disconcerting when I found the P2 Pro APP as I incorrectly thought the App might be in the Chinese language (Mandarin). The Infiray web site provides a direct download link got the App as well so side loading is possible.

Mike has stated that his older Samsung Galaxy J5 (Android-6 2016) phone ran the APP but the frame rate was impacted by the phones lack of processing power. This is why I bought used (Circa 2018) Samsung Galaxy A8 and S9+ phones in order to give the P2 Pro camera a fair review with a decent mobile phone host. The S9+ has a powerful processor set  :-+ Bought used, these Circa 2018 phones are very reasonably priced, especially if they have a SIM card port error or other minor fault.

The P2 Pro suffers no frame rate issues, that I can see, during a brief test on the Galaxy A8 or S9+. The A8 is running Android 9 (Pie) and the S9+ is running Android 10 (Q).

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:24:46 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: gorang

Offline tomasis

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2022, 10:36:33 am »
I use Samsung S21 and Android 12 version. The European version.

I googled in Play store by "infisense" and found "night vision go" but it is an old app with the version 6.3. Once installed, it is titled "InfiRayGo". It doesnt work on my phone.

P2 Pro version is 1.05. It looks same as above but cleaner and more modern layout.

It probably has to do with Android versions. Some dont support newer or outdated apps.

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2022, 11:12:43 am »
Fraser, thanks for your informative introduction to InfiRay and their products.  :clap:

As an engineer, my job is to do PCB thermal analysis for electronics design and repair, thermal imaging technology has helped me a lot  to promote the efficiency of my work. Apart from the applications in work, thermal imager is a good partner in my daily life as well, mainly for home inspection and automotive repair.

WARNING
ThermalEngineer is a astrotrufing employee of Infiray.
There are many astroturfing infiniray accounts on here it seems, they have long history of it.
Please report if you see one.
In fact I'm tempted to lock all Infiray threads and ban new ones.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:32:18 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: cejoba

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2022, 11:34:11 am »
I saw one account that was clearly someone with a vested interest in Infiray products, but Thermalengineer was not him.

It is a pity as the Infiray products are actually very good and they need not resort to such practices to promote their products. I am more than happy to test their offerings and provide honest, impartial, reviews. That is the way forward for Infiray, not “Astroturfing”. It is not like the infamous Mu thermal camera fiasco, and some other a Kickstarter campaigns where a product was hyped but never delivered or is substandard. Infiray actually provide a real working product to the marketplace.

P.S. I learnt a new word and it’s meaning today “Astroturfing”  :-DD

Fraser

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2022, 11:46:51 am »
I saw one account that was clearly someone with a vested interest in Infiray products, but Thermalengineer was not him.

ThermalEnigneer is actually "Sally" from the Infiray marketing team, and was dumb enough to use the email address @iraytek.com in her profile and the same email they have used to contact me about advertising which I told them to bugger off because they have used atsroturfed accounts before.
There are also several others from that and related domains. Plus astroturfing gmail accounts.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:48:31 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: kalross, cejoba

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2022, 12:09:21 pm »
For anyone interested in which mobile phones I will be trying with the P2 Pro, here is the final list :)

Samsung Galaxy S5 Circa 2014 - Android 6 (Marshmallow) / UI Touchwiz
Samsung Galaxy A6 Circa 2018 - Android 10 (Q) /  One UI 2.0
Samsung Galaxy A8 Circa 2018 - Android 9 (Pie) / One UI 1.0
Samsung Galaxy S9+ Circa 2018 - Android 10 (Q) / One UI 2.5     

The S5 and A6 both use micro USB I/O and the A8 and S9+ both use USB Type C
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:12:12 pm by Fraser »

Offline cejoba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2022, 12:12:41 pm »
I'm glad the big boss finally shows.
In fact I'm tempted to lock all Infiray threads and ban new ones.
Please do this! They are polluting our forum.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2022, 12:33:00 pm »
Wow, that would fly in the face of everything I thought this forum stood for !

Dave, if you go so far as to lock and ban all threads relating to Infiray that appears to be Censorship of the worst kind. Please do not do this ! I have seen nothing done or said by Infiray that would make me consider them truly harmful to this forum. There are many posters who reduce the signal to noise ratio on this forum… do we ban them all for that ? I love this forum and the thermal imaging area of it. Blatant Censorship will drive me away though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:41:50 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2022, 12:39:23 pm »
Not wanting to put Dave “on the spot” but am I still welcome to post my impartial review of the Infiray P2 Pro ? I consider that review of benefit to the forum membership. If you ban me posting such an impartial technical and helpful review I will comply, but a very important part of this forum will die that day.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 10:26:31 pm by Fraser »

Offline cejoba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2022, 12:48:49 pm »
Fraser: I think Dave and us won't dislike technical reviews of any product, especacially from a reliable member like you. We all want this world's largest thermal imaging forum better!

Dave: Thanks for locking the "CleanUnbox" thread. That's some really fast response from my report. No tolerance for those scumbags!  :clap:
We need an awesome mod like you, this sanitizing should happen earlier!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:51:32 pm by cejoba »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2022, 01:31:57 pm »
I see that “Rambo Sonny” has been banned. He made no secret of his affiliation with Infiray and was running a reviewer giveaway of 5 Infiray P2 Pro cameras in a thread that is now locked. The reviewer selection was to be tomorrow. I presume there is some connection between Rambo Sonny and the members accused of Astroturfing ? Why else would he deserve a ban. Is it permanent or just a warning ban as given to those who break the rules ?

Today is becoming surreal for me…..

First the UK chancellor rushes back to the UK for urgent budget discussions…. Only to get asked to resign, then it all seems to have kicked off here regarding Infiray and their presence on this forum ! I must have missed something as I have never considered Infiray a “Pest”.

For those unaware, Infiray are one of the manufacturers in Asia who have made significant progress in the realm of affordable thermal imaging equipment. The Pandemic brought great investment and technical advances in compact, affordable thermal imaging cores and cameras. Infiray, Guide Sensmart, Dahua and Hikvision are all major players in the new world of affordable thermal imaging technology…..and we have just seen the major player that is Infiray/IRAY effectively banned from participation on the largest, most technical, thermal imaging forum in the World  :palm:
Something seems very “off” with this whole situation to me and I am going off-line to avoid a saying something that I may regret later !

What a crap day and there will be 5 forum members not getting a P2 Pro to review thanks to the thread being locked and the OP being banned. I already have my P2 Pro to review but it remains to be seen whether the new draconian anti-Infiray attitude on this forum will prevent me sharing my findings with the forum membership.

Mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind. Not happy >:(

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 01:37:04 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2022, 01:39:06 pm »
I just reported my own post to the moderators so hopefully further comment will be forthcoming from Dave on the Infiray front and EEVBlog policy pertaining to reviews of their products.

Offline tomasis

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2022, 02:56:34 pm »
I dont think it is that bad. Only two threads are locked.

I saw that "thermalengineer" did bring 5-6 threads at once (incl. old threads that are almost 1 year old or more).

It is a silent advertising, I'd say. To see the topic of Infiray in 5-6 first threads is odd.

The thread here is not locked which is a good thing. It is easier for other users to find info in a single thread instead of several threads splattered.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2022, 03:27:07 pm »
Tomasis,

It is the “threat” against new Infiray related posts that I found most worrying. Not what I expect to see in an open society. I hope I have just misunderstood what Dave was meaning by his comment regarding new Infiray posts. It does need some clarification please.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:35:56 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: tomasis

Offline thetan76

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2022, 03:29:04 pm »
Dear Fraser, please do not leave the forum. We need your reviews! Forget about all that unpleasant stuff - there are so many good things around. :)

Offline tomasis

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2022, 03:41:01 pm »
Fraser, it doesn't hurt to post a review. Then we will see what happens.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf