Author Topic: Infiray Flip PH35-Best '640' bang-for-the-buck since Therm-App Pro discontined?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Dark VolterTopic starter

• Contributor
https://www.infiray.com/products/flip-ph35-thermal-imager.html

I spotted this, and am not sure how i missed it since it's been out for a bit- but I see it's at about $2800 (actually , $2200 at aliexpress, crazily enough) - $2800 generally- and i didn't think i'd see a non-thermal scope thermal imager at this spec level under 3K for ever- after watching the Therm App Pro go from 4k to 3k, then back to 4k (when i snagged it)- before the Therm-App lineup was discontinued

But 50 hz and 640X512 smells like a thermal scope core was used in this- but at that price point, in this form factor, it's picking up a area only the old Therm-App Pro had at that level
And even though I have a Therm-App Pro, this is tempting as hell

Does anyone on this Forum have one? How is the software? Does it let you control the camera well? How is infiray's software in general?

the Biggest thing, i've learned, is software can make or break a thermal camera- can you control the span, and range of the camera, or if not can you connect it to a computer and control  it? My therm-App Hz and Therm App Pro i use thermappplus 95% of the time because the OEM software doesn't let you control the span unfortunately
and therm-viewer has some control but it's finnicky and not as much...

And my FLIR pathfindir II is awesome 95% of the time- except the 5% when it rains heavily and drops get on the lens and the software adjusts the span the wrong way and the image gets dark, and i can't control it at all and it's hard to use- while my therm-apps, if water drops are on the lens incidentally, i use Therm-app plus to adjust the span- and see right through rain- and that makes all the difference with the amounts of money we throw at these.

Thoughts? Or did this escape everyone's attention?

Interesting , it's a stick with a GIANT FLIP screen

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
that's a curious product. The sensor being marketed as limited to 8100 units is really strange. Also Datasheet says it's a 20μm pixel pitch, which I have only seen in lens catalogs before.
If it could record lossless video it would be a really great product for my needs.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
A 20µ pitch and 35mm f/l lens gives the correct FoV for 640 horizontal so is consistent

That also means it must be displaying using only 640x360 to fit on the screen and give 21x11° FoV

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
The sensor being marketed as limited to 8100 units is really strange.
I'd bet this is "tail end" components of a manufacturing run that were surplus being rehomed into a unit to make extra profits on overstock, hence the limit and older pixel pitch (20um is fairly old at this point)

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS

I'd bet this is "tail end" components of a manufacturing run that were surplus being rehomed into a unit to make extra profits on overstock, hence the limit and older pixel pitch (20um is fairly old at this point)

20µm might be old (and also odd) but bigger pixels helps with S/N and lens design is less critical.  Even just the 35mm f/1 might be worth a fair chunk of the price.

Offline homestea

• Regular Contributor
    • Zadamer Jewelry
I bought one of these on eBay for $1700 a few days ago.   I’ll report back when I get it with some videos and photos.  Looks like a pretty cool camera. 

• Contributor
Looking forward to this-

Curious how it fares in different situations as it seems to only have a 35 mm lens, which...if that's like my Therm App/Therm app Pro 35 mm lens, is more for zoom/ranged work only and not really useful in closer-range situations(but i have multiple lenses for that, for the Flip, wondering if it has varying zoom or whatnot)

Offline homestea

• Regular Contributor
    • Zadamer Jewelry
Here are a few initial test videos I just uploaded to YouTube.   

https://youtu.be/vurldF8MA8c

https://youtu.be/7iWjiygj0Oc

Initial Impressions:  the unit has a nice solid feel.  Not too heavy but not too light either.  The screen is quite large and very bright.  I had no problems navigating all the menus after a few minutes of use.  It has zoom levels of 2x, 4x, and 8x.  It has manual focus and can focus down to about 3-4ft minimum to infinity.  It has 64GB of internal storage that will store a TON of photos and videos.  The refresh rate is quite snappy at 50HZ with almost no discernible lag.  The picture quality looks better in my opinion than that generated by a Flir T640BX I have.  It also comes with a quite nice  latchable foam carrying case with a handle.  I’ll post some close up photos of the device soon. 

Update: the attached photos look they they may have a bit of compression applied to them as those pictures look slightly better on the device than these uploaded here.   Also forgot to mention that this unit supposedly has up to a 9 hour battery life. Also has built in Wi-Fi so you can directly record to a phone and download photos or remotely view what the camera is capturing.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 11:49:08 pm by homestea »

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline homestea

• Regular Contributor
    • Zadamer Jewelry
Here are a few photos of the unit:

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
WOW that is fantastic resolution and great images

Offline homestea

• Regular Contributor
    • Zadamer Jewelry
I took the unit on a walk outside at about 9pm tonight. it was past sunset and dark. The temperature earlier in the day was about 95 degrees and it was about 80 degrees or so when these were taken. During the video I capture people, cars, rabbits, and even an airplane while experimenting with different settings including color pallet, sensitivity, zoom, etc. Sorry for the bad shakiness in some parts of the video. This video should give you a good feel for how the image quality looks.  The camera automatically splits the video footage into 5 minute long chunks.  Here are the 3 parts of the video

Part 1:  https://youtu.be/Jtet9KfipXg
Part 2:  https://youtu.be/_erSBxM3jVI
Part 3:  https://youtu.be/Vh1z1RVgjrg

So far overall I’m very pleased with the performance of this device given its relatively low cost.  The quality of the picture is equal or better than all FLIR brand devices I have ever owned including M18, M24, T640, P640, etc. and better than most other brand devices I have used as well.  The picture quality seems on close or on par with most 640 DRS core instruments I’ve used in the past too. 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 05:18:25 am by homestea »

The following users thanked this post: Dark Volter, nikitasius

• Contributor
This is pretty insightful- and that's cool! It does look spectacular

Interesting that it zooms out well- i didn't expect it to perform so well zoomed out, for the widest view of a scene

-that's a little easier than me changing lenses on my Therm App Pro

-That 5 minute video limit though- hurts extremely badly, OOF- no way to get around that??

Also, can you control the span and push it up or down, for when in areas with hot things or fire, and cold stuff? Just curious

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf