Author Topic: Keysight U5855A TrueIR thermal imager  (Read 93265 times)

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Re: Keysight U5855A TrueIR thermal imager
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:08 am »
I can +1 the good service  :)

My unit had a bit of rubber string flapping around in the battery compartment, which after opening turned out to be the weather sealing gasket that had been improperly reinstalled at some point and instead of resting in its groove was thrown randomly in there out of place and being pinched and cut in several places. Contacted the seller about either getting a replacement gasket or a small compensation. Guess they don't have parts anyway, so I was offered a $29 refund.

That puts my unit at a nice round $400 in the end. Just need to be careful not to get it wet and remember to warn the next owner in case I sell it at some point.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:03:41 am by Kilrah »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2017, 07:20:34 pm »
Was wondering, does anybody have an idea what the differences are between the different models in the series (temp ranges)? Would it be a completely different sensor, or just a matter of calibration?

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »
Was wondering, does anybody have an idea what the differences are between the different models in the series (temp ranges)? Would it be a completely different sensor, or just a matter of calibration?

The datasheet only shows a difference in temp. ranges, temp. sensitivity and they added a few extra color palettes. Thats it.

The rest is all the same. Im guessing, the h/w is same, just a firmware thingy?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:52 pm »
Maximum Temperature capability is normally set in the firmware and higher temperature ranges apply different bias voltages to the microbolometer pixels.

Even if the dormant temperature ranges were to be enabled, I believe it likely that additional calibration data would also be required. I do not know whether all cameras are calibrated on all ranges before the maximum temperature limitation is enabled in firmware.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:54:23 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »
Even if the dormant temperature ranges were to be enabled, I believe it likely that additional calibration data would also be required. I do not know whether all cameras are calibrated on all ranges before the maximum temperature limitation is enabled in firmware.

Forgive my stupidness, do they need to calibrate each and every camera separate? Or is it done once for a sensor (batch)?

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2017, 08:28:09 pm »
It's an actual T&M instrument with individual calibration, if you bought new you'd get a calibration certificate, and you're supposed to send it in for recal every year.

That's why they were such a bargain at these prices and why I got one, unlike my TE that's potentially all over the place as far as actual temp values this should be pretty accurate.
I actually only just noticed they still sold new for $3500.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:30:14 pm by Kilrah »

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:31 pm »
It's an actual T&M instrument with individual calibration, if you bought new you'd get a calibration certificate, and you're supposed to send it in for recal every year.

That's why they were such a bargain at these prices and why I got one, unlike my TE that's potentially all over the place as far as actual temp values this should be pretty accurate.

Ah, ok thanks. Well i'm on the list, already waiting (almost) two weeks (not a clue what was the delay). Anyhow, next week it should be here. Can't wait!

Did saw the list price,  :wtf:  :-DD 

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2017, 08:41:42 pm »
Yes, I was surprised as well, when I saw this retail price.
For the same retail price we can also get a FLIR E8.

Withe the new battery installed, my U5855A works perfectly right now.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2017, 09:12:54 pm »
E8 looks good with the higher native res, but unless I'm missing the point we've got a much better product. The E8 is fixed focus at min 50cm distance so no 10cm close ups, has fewer/no customizable palettes, smaller temp range, fewer measurement points/options, no video output, no USB live stream or PC software... OK it's got Wi-Fi photo sharing :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:16:26 pm by Kilrah »

Offline TheSteveTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:57 am »
I can +1 the good service  :)

My unit had a bit of rubber string flapping around in the battery compartment, which after opening turned out to be the weather sealing gasket that had been improperly reinstalled at some point and instead of resting in its groove was thrown randomly in there out of place and being pinched and cut in several places. Contacted the seller about either getting a replacement gasket or a small compensation. Guess they don't have parts anyway, so I was offered a $29 refund.

That puts my unit at a nice round $400 in the end. Just need to be careful not to get it wet and remember to warn the next owner in case I sell it at some point.

I'd do your best to refit the gasket. I don't believe the IR sensor itself is enclosed internally so you'll want to ensure it stays as clean as possible inside the camera.
VE7FM

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2017, 07:01:49 am »
Ah that's a good point, thanks. Didn't think of that.

I actually wanted to try and 3D print a gasket in flex material one day, could be an occasion to try...

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2017, 07:18:31 am »
Ah that's a good point, thanks. Didn't think of that.

I actually wanted to try and 3D print a gasket in flex material one day, could be an occasion to try...

Is the seal, like a lace? Round (DIA)? Or does it has a form factor?

If its like a round rubber cord, would imagine you should be able to buy something that comes close?

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2017, 07:37:11 am »
If it's round rubber then you can buy bulk Oring material that you cut to size and join with super glue.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2017, 08:44:30 am »
Isn't there a 30-day warranty from Keysight on these units? I'd make a claim or at least contact them first

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2017, 08:52:48 am »
Isn't there a 30-day warranty from Keysight on these units? I'd make a claim or at least contact them first

Hey did, but there is (apparently) no spare part. They offered a little refund.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:02 am »
The original gasket may be recoverable ? If you soak it in hot water it will usually return to shape. Then superglue the ends together if it has broken. I always use Loctite Power Flex flexible superglue as it is perfect for such flexible items and uses a rubber filler in its mix.

Finally, I would not expect the camera to have got out of the factory with the gasket in such a state. Some of the cameras were for demo and review so it is possible yours was reviewed and someone opened it to take a peek inside. The gaskets can have a mind of their own and the reviewer may have been impatient when re-assembling the unit.

I personally think Keysight are being very generous with the price if these cameras. They are officially used units but the price reduction is significant and the fact that they provided a further refund on top of that is good customer service. The 30 day warranty provides additional confidence for the buyer. Sadly spare parts for the camera likely have to come from NEC AVIO and may be a challenge to obtain quickly Hence the offer if a small refund to cover the parts needed to make a new gasket.

If your gasket is totally ruined then making one with round cross section O ring material is a definite possibility. If the gasket was pre-shaped, tack the O ring material down into the groove with little spots of UHU soft glue as you install it and that should hold it in place nicely until the case is closed again. You could do the same with the original gasket if it is worth using but unco-operative at staying in place.

I agree that you should definitely have a seal in place in this camera.

Fraser

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2017, 10:29:05 am »
I placed an order today, just the camera with new battery but without any other accessories. There wasn’t much to do with the price and they add 24% VAT to the invoice but shipping is free and it will be custom cleared to Finland.

Have you received exactly the same unit that has been in the picture as I noticed that serial number (which is visible in the sticker and system info display) changes in every listing?

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2017, 10:31:33 am »
Yep my SN matches.

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2017, 10:33:02 am »
Yep my SN matches.

Ok, fine, thanks!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2017, 02:35:57 pm »
Each camera has been inspected and a condition report produced. The Keysight eBay outlet lists the cameras condition according to the individual report and supplies a picture of the actual camera so that condition may be seen. Some cameras have minor damage, such as a broken strap mount. This is detailed and pictured in the auction. Keysight are a very honourable company. What you read and see is exactly what they want you to receive. If there are any problems, they respond quickly and behave fairly.

I do not work for Keysight :)

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2017, 03:06:56 pm »
Yes they are pretty honest, I was looking at a couple of their auctions a few weeks ago and queried the difference in price on two cameras where one was noted as having a broken strap mount and the other didn't but the photos showed it did. I sent them a message where they confirmed the photos were of the actual unit being sold and they thanked me for spotting their mistake and changed the price and listing.

I'm still on the fence about whether I really need a thermal imager or its just another cool toy to buy. The cost of a battery in Australia was putting me off, now they're supplying batteries decisions, decisions...

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2017, 03:13:52 pm »
I'm still on the fence about whether I really need a thermal imager or its just another cool toy to buy. The cost of a battery in Australia was putting me off, now they're supplying batteries decisions, decisions...

Well you can just run it with a 12V DC, external. So you don't need a battery. I think most people can live without one  ;) I was looking for a E4 for some time, but all I found was round the > 1000 USD mark. This price is pretty cool, and it for sure will come in handy (from time to time). On top, if you have enough, you can sell it without to much of a loss (guessing).

BTW do they still have the versions without batteries? They told me they would see if they could stock there eBay store with some (new) batteries.

Just my $0.02

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2017, 03:41:09 pm »
The list price increased from ~$500 to ~$625 for including a battery, so they are charging you the same amount for the battery as other retailers.

Well you can just run it with a 12V DC, external.
For bench applications, that's certainly an option. It's a little inconvenient for home inspection purposes.  >:D

BTW do they still have the versions without batteries? They told me they would see if they could stock there eBay store with some (new) batteries.
No results on eBay for "U5752A".

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2017, 03:47:20 pm »
Forgive my ignorance.

The battery is 7.2V, the adapter is 12V.  What if you hookup (any) 7.2V battery to the DC? 
That makes it a bit portable, so you can run around the house and snap a few pics.

Anybody like to explain why the voltage of the battery is substantial lower?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:12 pm »
Very common practice in my experience.

Battery is nominally 7.2V but that is the mid point of its terminal voltage which is just how Li-Ion batteries are specified. You need greater than 7.2V to put full charge into the battery. Charge voltage is normally 4.4V per cell so you would likely need at least 8.8V to charge the battery.

The charger circuit has an overhead voltage so using a 9V adapter would likely be borderline for the task. 12V is the next common PSU brick voltage up from 9V. The camera MAY still charge the battery and run correctly if less than 12V is attached to the DC input socket. Many cameras have an acceptable voltage range at the DC input, so it could run from say 10V to 15V  but do not assume this. The manufacturer can confirm the minimum and maximum input voltages of the design but using a variable lab power supply to provide LESS than 12V is safe to do. The camera will fail to boot if the voltage drops below its minimum requirement.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: onesixright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf