Author Topic: New Flir products  (Read 225518 times)

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Flir products
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2015, 08:52:35 am »
SlashGear got their hands on a preproduction android model. This is the first time it's been seen outside of FLIRs marketing images.

http://www.slashgear.com/flir-one-thermal-camera-for-android-hands-on-30391243/

Looks like there's some weird banding going on in the images, hopefully that's just due to the preproduction nature of the device.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2015, 11:59:14 pm »
Got my iOS model today, pretty cool. Works well, minor annoyance though. Can't use volume controls as a trigger to snap a pic. Also would like to remove the Flir logo from the pictures.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:48:59 am by Muxr »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2015, 12:28:44 am »
Nice images.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2015, 03:20:29 am »
Thanks I uploaded one more. The close ups are definitely problematic, due to lack of parallax compensation of the two cameras. Hopefully it's something they can update in software.

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2015, 06:18:21 am »
Are any resellers (with paypal payment support) already selling it (flir one, ios version)?

Edit: With paypal - found none. Anyway rs-components solds cheaper than flir.eu.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:08:06 pm by arekm »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2015, 02:19:39 pm »
Ok so I have found that you can adjust the parallax error manually. By just touching and holding on the image a slider will show up which lets you adjust how the two images stitch. Not automatic but it works.

I can now get closeups to align perfectly.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2015, 08:33:47 am »
This might be interesting for all new-owners of flir/seek modules:

I really like this grip handle that comes with Therm-App:

So I investigated a bit and found:

http://www.nipon-scope.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_25&products_id=166

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281688672757

With this two items I should get really close to that "Therm-App" holder.

I also bought selfie stick which I'll mount on the work table for electronics inspection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121486526066

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2015, 08:37:37 am »
Can MSX be turned off? It would be interesting to see how the thermal images actually look like - closeups too.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2015, 03:19:02 pm »
Doesn't look like you can disable MSX.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2015, 03:53:19 pm »
Can MSX be turned off? It would be interesting to see how the thermal images actually look like - closeups too.
You can put a label over the camera, but if totally opaque, you get camera noise, a translucent label can work. Not pretty but does the job.   An option in the software (especially with the higher res of the new model) would be nice though.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2015, 04:07:16 pm »
Or you cold take photos at night in complete darkness. ;)

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2015, 06:41:19 am »

You can turn off MSX on the final images using FLIR Tools software. I took some of the images posted here and turned off MSX on them. I've also used FLIR Tools to add some random measurements and changed some colour pallets.

Finally, you can use it to enable Thermal Fusion or PIP (normally only available on more expensive cameras) or even turn down the MSX intensity (which is what I've done in the last image)

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2015, 03:38:25 pm »
Seems like the lens is a big limiting factor, or maybe the thermobolometer is small enough it doesn't resolve much more detail at 160x120.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2015, 08:59:55 am »
Hello,
can somebody provide a long range comparison between Seek XR and FLIR One 2?
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2015, 10:57:45 am »
The lens of the 2nd Gen FLIR ONE will be a limitation due to its diminutive size. I have not worked with silicon lenses so do not know if they affect the clarity of the images produced. The new FLIR ONE is also using a 12um microbolometer , the same size as the SEEK unit.

IMHO, neither the SEEK nor the FLIR ONE are designed for long range observation and I do not expect them to perform well in that application. Cameras with larger lenses and microbolometers can achieve human detection at 300m+ but I suspect the new FLIR ONE will be limited to less than 50m. The design brief apaesr to be for a short range GP thermal imager that can be used by the public for fun and non demanding technical observation at close range. The wide angle lens says its all  ;)

There are many people who want to use thermal imagers as weapons sights for hunting. Such applications really require one of the security type observation thermal imagers that FLIR sell, such as the PS24 or PS32.

Aurora

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2015, 04:13:01 am »
i am agree with your comment about the Lens, Fraser.

A guy contacted me to ask about a comparison about this cameras (he has trouble while register here and cannot ask himself  :-//).
From normal seek and Flir One exist some pictures.
But for a Seek XR (just better Lens with focus) and a Flir One 2 (better resolution), a side by side comparison would help him to choose between this both types (5/10/50/100 m).

I suggest the Flir One 2. The resolution is lower and the focus fixed, but they has good digital filters and do the most calculation work by Hardware.
i trust a temperature from flir more than seek... but this is just my opinion.
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2015, 11:37:46 am »
@Joe-c,

It will certainly be interesting to see images produced by the two cameras in a side by side comparison.

Sadly the number of owners of the new FLIR ONE present on this forum appears limited at the moment. I am awaiting delivery of my Android version of due at the end of this month or early August. Once it is released we should see more sample images here. For distance work, it is usual to specify detection of a human adult. In the thermal domain that is often detection of  hands and face as clothes will reduce the thermal signature somewhat. Ambient temperature is also a factor that needs to be considered as that provides the thermal contrast.

In the hunting scenario, the target is a very different to a human adult in terms of size and heat distribution. 

It would be helpful to know the scenario in which your friend intends to use the thermal camera as this will influence the test. I am the guardian of three cats, but achieving a 100m observation of them is not possible as they are house cats. I may be able to do some 'spotting' of neighbours cats at such ranges though. A cat is actually a pretty tough target for a 'simple' thermal camera at range. They are well insulated and the hot spots are normally limited to eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and paw pads. All are quite small compared to pixel size at long range. On the positive side, they are similar to some hunting targets in terms of thermal signature and they are common so someone with a SEEK could also produce such images for comparison.

Aurora 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:15:01 pm by Aurora »

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: July 15, 2015, 07:01:01 pm »
Ok so I have found that you can adjust the parallax error manually. By just touching and holding on the image a slider will show up which lets you adjust how the two images stitch. Not automatic but it works.

I can now get closeups to align perfectly.

Notice something interesting about these pics. When I export a CSV file from FLIR tools, I get one that is 320x240. I know that according to FLIR, the new version of the FLIR One, takes 640x480 images using MSX to combine a visible light image with the 160x120 thermal image (an improvement over the older thermal image size of 80x60). However, when exporting a thermal CSV file, the output is a 320x240 image. This suggests that the thermal core in the new FLIR One is in fact 320x240, rather than 160x120. Or it might be that FLIR Tools simply upscales the thermal image by a factor of 2 when exporting the CSV file. Can anybody here confirm whether the new FLIR One cameras have a true thermal image size of 160x120, or 320x240?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2015, 07:32:42 pm »
160x120 pixels confirmed. Thermal image is upscaled.

Aurora

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2015, 07:47:59 pm »

Aurora

Do you know of any FREE software that can extract thermal image raw data from FLIR radiometric images?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2015, 08:51:59 pm »

Aurora

Do you know of any FREE software that can extract thermal image raw data from FLIR radiometric images?

ExifTool by Phil Harvey http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ is what has been used to extract data in the past. It's command line, very powerful but be ready to do some reading!

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:18 pm »

see topic 4 "Tutorial: create images with exiftool and Imagemagick step-by-step" of my post
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg342072/#msg342072

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2015, 10:32:22 pm »

Aurora

ExifTool by Phil Harvey http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ is what has been used to extract data in the past. It's command line, very powerful but be ready to do some reading!

I was hoping you could point me to a dedicated FFF reader (not something like ExifTool, which has all kinds of uses). Preferably a GUI based software created by a 3rd party programmer, who had previously reverse engineered Flir's FFF file format.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2015, 01:33:41 am »

Aurora

I was hoping you could point me to a dedicated FFF reader (not something like ExifTool, which has all kinds of uses). Preferably a GUI based software created by a 3rd party programmer, who had previously reverse engineered Flir's FFF file format.

Perhaps try this?

I saw it mentioned in the FLIR E4 thread.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2015, 03:56:42 am »
A cat is actually a pretty tough target for a 'simple' thermal camera at range. They are well insulated and the hot spots are normally limited to eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and paw pads.

Right, I have attached an image of a cat on a cool night, the body does not stand out of the background much.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf