Author Topic: OpenIRV. ISC0901B0 (Autoliv NV3, FLIR E4/5/6/8) based opensource thermal camera  (Read 112986 times)

Offline tisher

• Contributor
What are the test results in the new version, does everything work?
When do you expect the first test sets?

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What are the test results in the new version, does everything work?
When do you expect the first test sets?

Everything is working well! I think, I have functionally checked almost every single pcb trace.
I had a software bug in the memory controller, that I have already fixed and verified yesterday.

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello everyone!

This is time to prepare sets of parts for shipment. I'm going to include not only PCBs, but also some other parts, that I hope will make life easier.

Here is an initial list of things, that I want to include in a single set:
1. Five bare PCBs, i.e. (M, P, D, B, F)
2. Silicone cover for buttons.
3. Some special screws and spacers for focus board.
4. A set of focus mechanic parts: focus_wheel, focus_worm, motor_mount, worm_mount, shutter_mount.
5. A NOR flash IC with preprogrammed bootloader. This bootloader will be able to do different functional tests (memory test, video output, etc.) and will help with board testing after assembly. Bootloader will also have firmware update feature.

But first, I want to find out how many sets of hardware should be to prepared.
Please, wait for email with other details tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:20:04 pm by VGN »

Offline LesioQ

• Regular Contributor
  • Every king should be naked.
Some form of B.O.M. would be welcome, so it's clear what more is required for initial functionality testing, as it may be affected by parts availability...

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Some form of B.O.M. would be welcome, so it's clear what more is required for initial functionality testing, as it may be affected by parts availability...
Sure, BOM will be published today.

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Several minutes ago I have set emails to everyone in my list. Let me know, if I forgot anybody, in this case send me an email with title: "OpenIRV.Developer/Tester". You can find my email address in attached pictures of the very first post of this thread.

Offline Myrddin

I was researching the idea of a XY displacement enhanced thermal camera when I found this thread, very impressive VGN! I have the feeling I am a few minutes late but if you still need beta-testers let me know, I would absolutely join a crowdfunding and I am happy to help with beta-testing, documentation,.. if needed. Already ordered a NV3 (broken window, crossing fingers...) on ebay  :-+   

Also the nudge to finally register to the forum and not only reading all the interesting stuff that's going on here...

Offline NVTech

If anyone orders a NV3 camera and would like a used, but defect free window, let me know.
I’ve got quite a few lying around atm.

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I was researching the idea of a XY displacement enhanced thermal camera when I found this thread, very impressive VGN!
Hi, thanks)

I have the feeling I am a few minutes late but if you still need beta-testers let me know, I would absolutely join a crowdfunding and I am happy to help with beta-testing, documentation,.. if needed. Already ordered a NV3 (broken window, crossing fingers...) on ebay  :-+   
You are not late, consider email me with title: "OpenIRV.Developer/Tester". You can find my email address in attached pictures of the very first post of this thread.

Also the nudge to finally register to the forum and not only reading all the interesting stuff that's going on here...
Welcome)

Added BOMs v1.1.0: https://github.com/OVGN/OpenIRV/tree/master/docs/BOM/BOM_v1.1.0

Offline Myrddin

I have got a NV3 spare part for 120 Euro, unfortunately the lens is missing. Before I return it, does someone needs the part?

I have the feeling the original lens is quite good, so it does not make sense trying to exchange it with e.g. cheap laser lenses or other parts. High quality lenses are more expensive than a complete new unit...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 01:18:08 pm by Myrddin »

Offline NVTech

Is it just the primary lens or just the protective flat lens at the front of the unit?

Offline Myrddin

Is it just the primary lens or just the protective flat lens at the front of the unit?

The primary lens, I thought just the protective flat window at the front, but it turned out the lens is missing as well.

Offline NVTech

That’s disappointing, Sounds like they may have tried to short change ya there.
They may have removed the lens and tried to sell on the camera as if it were complete.

Offline tisher

• Contributor
VGN, we can use any FPGA XC7S50 or XC7S25 core with 324?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:52:07 pm by tisher »

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
VGN, we can use any FPGA XC7S50 or XC7S25 core with 324?
XC7S25 cannot be used. Mostly because IO BANK35 and BANK16 are NC in XC7S25. Also design is too huge to fit in XC7S25.

That's why, only XC7S50:
  • XC7S50-1CSGA324C (commertial grade, slowest, cheapest) - I actually use this one.
  • XC7S50-1CSGA324I (industrial grade, more expensive)
  • XC7S50-2CSGA324C (a bit faster, more expensive)
  • XC7S50-2CSGA324I (faster + industrial...)

Offline tisher

• Contributor
It's possible to find this core in automotiv parts on scrapyard?  >:D

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
Yes, you can absolutely find it in scrapyards, though it's not super common.

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Updates!

My last order for focus parts printing failed. No worry, that was a small test order. Long story short, that was my bad, I allowed manufacturer to use another type of resin, that looked to be the same. As a result, the mechanical parts' surface is not strong/stiff enough as it used to be, that caused too  high friction. With previous type of resin the parts were like a glass, that's why gears were working well, without any significial friction and wear. Both worms at the photo looks identical, but left one is not working at all.

At that moment I realized, that I strongly need a SLA to control of the whole process. That's why last week I spent looking for a 3d printer. Fortunatelly I could find secondhand form 2 in a perfect condition. I lauched a test run, to see how it works. If everything is ok, I will start printing all parts.

P.S. look how SLA heats up while working!

Offline 1os

• Regular Contributor
Hi guys, but the topic is very delayed, it would have been very relevant a year ago. Now the Chinese are tearing apart thermal imagers with low prices and very good quality, I have been doing a thermal imager for a long time and now American flir has receded into the background, it is very difficult to sell American flir.

Offline 1os

• Regular Contributor
I would like to know what the price will be for boards without a sensor, at least approximately so that it would be interesting to watch this topic approximately 100 200 300 or 400 US dollars If you answer this will be a big plus it interests everyone thanks

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
Hi guys, but the topic is very delayed, it would have been very relevant a year ago. Now the Chinese are tearing apart thermal imagers with low prices and very good quality, I have been doing a thermal imager for a long time and now American flir has receded into the background, it is very difficult to sell American flir.

W/R/T this, not designed so much as a turnkey core, more like a multi-sensor testbed and experimentation platform to tinker with the information pathing and data processing of a FPA output through image generation. For those of us on the R&D side of the world, this is a killer app and would help a ton for being able to quickly test and develop with new FPAs for validation purposes.

The following users thanked this post: VGN

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I would like to know what the price will be for boards without a sensor, at least approximately so that it would be interesting to watch this topic approximately 100 200 300 or 400 US dollars If you answer this will be a big plus it interests everyone thanks
If you are asking about fully assembled PCBs, I cannot say exact price right now, nobody knows when parts will be avaliable and how the price will change.
But if we are talking about prices before this global silicon shortage, I think that was possible to keep fully assembled KIT price around 450$ or even lower.
Also take in account that the more KITs manufactured => the lower is the price for a single set.

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Updates.

Test prints were successfull. I have fixed some small bugs. Now parts perfectly fit each other.
I'm starting "mass" production)

BTW, I have redesigned the magnets horling ring, as prevoius one was too weak. Also added shutter mount spacer.

The following users thanked this post: dmendesf

Offline VGNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Some progress.

Hope to have almost all parts to printed by the end of this week. Part look very good, no print fails at all.

The following users thanked this post: tek2232, ArsenioDev, horstmannhid, Myrddin

Offline RO

• Contributor
As a FDM printer owner I still am amazed at the resolution of these resin machines, it is looking very good.

How is the production going for you VGN?

Still very impressed with the progress so far, especially considering the difficult times.

The following users thanked this post: VGN

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf