Author Topic: SATIR / UNI-T Thermal imaging cameras - one on the way to me  (Read 7933 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
SATIR / UNI-T Thermal imaging cameras - one on the way to me
« on: August 22, 2016, 02:17:38 am »
I have just procured a lightly used SATIR MinIR80 thermal camera as the price was too good to miss.

The SATIR MinIR series comprises the MinIR80, MinIR100 and MinIR160. All have the same external appearance except for the colour of the case.

The resolution of the MinIR80 is only 80 x 60 but there is the possibility that it can be 'improved' to operate at 160 x 120 as I believe the same core is used in all three cameras, just with different regions of the Microbolomter being displayed. The lens is the same on all three yet the FOV increases in step with the increase in resolution. A bit of a smoking gun. I see it as a bit like a X2 zoom function being permanently enabled on the MinIR80. If I can work out how to change that to full native microbolometer resolution I will be most pleased. Much will depend upon the firmware used and how easy it is to access it.

Very similar cameras are also sold under the UNI-T brand as the UTi80A, 100A and 160A. Sadly I can find no firmware for them so cannot investigate such for evidence of resolution hobbling. It is my understanding that the core within the MinIR series is made in China, but the actual Microbolometer sensor is supplied out of France by ULIS  :). When I look inside the camera, I am expecting to find a ULIS PICO160 installed in a SATIR HR160 core PCB set. We shall see  :)  SATIR do not offer a HR80 core which is good news for me as otherwise that core could have been installed in the 80 x 60 camera, with no hope of a resolution upgrade resulting.

I shall provide more detail of the SATIR camera once it arrives. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who owns one of these cameras. It looks quite neat, if a little like a childs toy ray gun, but hey, if it works, I will be happy for the price I paid.

The brochure containing the specifications is available here:

http://www.thermalimaging.com.au/uploads/5/1/1/8/5118132/minir_australian_thermal_imaging.pdf

It is quite well equipped really. 30fps update from the microbolometer, still pictures and videos saved to an SD card, composite video output, Lithium battery, manual focus and visible light camera for context images. The camera also ships with a charging and PC interface dock, a similar idea to the Raytek/FLUKE Ti30

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:23:00 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
Re: SATIR / UNI-T Thermal imaging cameras - one on the way to me
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:13:59 am »
Hi Fraser,

I have a YRH600:
http://www.satir-uk.com/catalogue-product/yrh600

I do not doubt your suspicions, although it might be an earlier ULIS detector such as an 0215. http://www.sat.com.cn/en/productsShow.aspx?n_id=511

Always a good game with them to spot which products they have copied this week, there's a FLIR Scout and ISG K1000 on there, but the Argus 'torch' has gone.

Bill

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »
Holy crap, just how many thermal cameras do you have?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:45:34 pm »
Too many  ;D

At last count 49

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:35:51 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:09 am »
At last count 49

:o :o

Looking forward to hearing about these. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 04:40:03 pm »
@bitseeker

The list. I have duplicates of many of these cameras, hence 49 total.

AGEMA 880

DEWALT / IRISYS DCT-416

EEV P4428
EEV ARGUS 1
EEV ARGUS 2
EEV ARGUS 4

FLIR PM570
FLIR PM575
FLIR PM695
FLIR SC500
FLIR SC3000
FLIR E2
FLIR E4 (Upgraded to320x240 + enhanced menus)
FLIR One Generation 2 Android
FLIR MS224 upgraded to SCOUT II PS32
FLIR HS324 Commander

FLUKE / IRISYS VT02

INFRAMETRICS PM280
INFRAMETRICS ThermaSnap 525

IRISYS IRI 1011

ISG Talisman (Pyro vidicon version)
ISG Talisman (Wasp BST version)

MIKRON /NEC Avio MikroShot / F1S

NEC Avio TH7102W
NEC Avio TH7302W
NEC Avio TH9100

RAYTHEON 300A
RAYTHEON CADILLAC Deville Night vision

SATIR MinIR80

TESTO 880

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: exk

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:01:23 pm »
Wow, nice collection Fraser! I'm considering an F1G2, but will see your feedback on the Satir/Uni-T.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:28 pm »
Too many  ;D

At last count 49

Fraser
There must be a lot of IR radiation where you live. Around here a single camera can handle it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:06 pm »
@Zapta

;D

I am a collector and repairer of the technology so you tend to accumaulate cameras over the years  ;D

Fraser

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:10:12 pm »
@Zapta

;D

I am a collector and repairer of the technology so you tend to accumaulate cameras over the years  ;D

Fraser

Do you collect also image intensifiers or just IR cameras? I remember them years ago in marine applications, big, expensive, single eye green screen that leaves you one eye blind in the dark, but they were very effective otherwise. IIRC they they used liquid nitrogen or something like that but am not 100% sure.

BTW, the Applied Science channel on youtube has an interesting video where is demonstrates with an IR camera how release a stretched rubber band has a cooling effect.  It's an excellent channel BTW.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:44:37 pm »
Hi Zapta,

I do have a small collection of night vision equipment and image intensifiers  :)

I bought a lot of Gen 1 night vision monoculars whilst I lived in Moscow. They were too cheap to resist back in 1996. Around $20 to $100 depending upon model. The 'Cyclops 1' was a firm favorite amongst us techs as it was so cheap yet had good performance for a Gen 1 tube. They were built using Ex military surplus intensifier tubes.

The $100 units used the best quality Gen 1 tubes available and nice large optics. Mine are called the 'White Night' and have very good build quality with excellent intensification within the limits of Gen 1 light amplification capabilities. I had opportunities to buy Gen 2 ex military tank and rifle sights in Moscow, but getting caught with one of those at the airport security risked a charge of espionage so I had to leave well alone. I did buy a very high performance Gen? scope that was made in Belarus. It outperforms all my other Gen 1 night vision kit and I suspect that it is 'Hot' Gen 1. It is larger than my other NV scopes and runs on the relatively modern 2CR5 Lithium battery rather than the common AA or PP3 batteries. Remember, this was 1996, so this was unusual. The seller described it as a "very special" night vision scope with large diameter tube, low distortion and amazing performance. He wasn't wrong. the seller only ever had one of those units in the two years that I lived in Moscow. As it was not obviously military so I could risk taking it through the airport so it came home with me.

The laugh was that I saw Russian night vision scopes for sale in the UK at highly inflated prices, such as a $20 (in Russia) NV scope being sold in the UK for £200  :o They were the ones that I had avoided in Moscow as the dealers I knew told me that those models, like the Moonlight NV100, had marginal performance tubes fitted for the consumer export market.

The Russian manufacturers had a very large surplus stock of Gen 1 tubes to use after the Cold War thawed, but I was warned that as stocks reduced, tubes that would have been rejected due to poor performance, would start to be used. Russia remains a huge source of the worlds Gen 1 night sights, but the tubes are selected for the different price ranges so cheaper units often have poor performance tubes fitted.

Since those happy days in Russia Circa 1996 night vision prices in the Russian markets have apparently increased.

Since that time I have accumulated other night vision scopes and image intensifiers. The NV scopes are Russian Maritime models that I bought cheaply on ebay due to failed inverters. a reasonably easy repair once you work out how to dismantle the waterproof case ! X-Ray imaging helped me to overcome that challenge.

The Image Intensifiers that I own are Gen2 and Gen 3 units used in labs on microscopes for specimen fluorescence imaging and also electronic X-Ray imaging. The microscope intensifier is a complete Hamamatsu system with I.I. head, camera and I.I controller. She is s real beauty and provides amazing light amplification, thanks to the very high performance multi stage MCP fibre optic intensifier used within it. It has a C mount input and output so is usable with conventional CCTV cameras and lenses  :) The X-Ray intensifiers that I have are designed to sit behind the fluorescent target and intensify the low light levels produced with low energy X-Ray. I own several such units. The final type of intensifier I have are the ones that are fitted in side CCD camera housings to produce an image intensified CCD camera fro science, X-Ry or other demanding tasks. All of the above intensifiers are the advanced MCP fibre optic types so have excellent performance  :) Amazing light amplification capabilities !

I have a few Ex. British Military image intensifier modules made by Mullard and they are also said to be pretty decent quality but I have yet to use them to find out. They are a sealed module that sits between the input and output optics of military vehicle night vision periscopes. just apply 3V and they start up .... nice and simple self contained units with a large input and output port diameter.

There you go, I guess that answers your question  ;D I will post pictures if people are interested in the technology. Sadly you cannot disassemble many image intensifiers as they are potted and some have the HT transformer around the intensifier tube.

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:45:21 am by Fraser »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 10:57:46 pm »
Very cool, Fraser. I have a Gen 1 somewhere. I don't remember the name off hand. Yeah, it's worth a thread about image intensifiers.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:11:38 pm »
Very cool, Fraser. I have a Gen 1 somewhere. I don't remember the name off hand. Yeah, it's worth a thread about image intensifiers.

Yes, very cool indeed. Even deserves a 'museum' style website or a youtube channel.

Are light intensifier practically obsolete now with the popularity of IR vision, since all interesting targets are warm?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 01:36:41 am »
Hi Zapta,

No, image intensifiers are very much alive, and used in many scenarios.

On the military front they are still used for night flying, driving and terrain navigation by ground troops. HOT Gen 3+ is the standard IIRC. From what I remember the HOT Gen 3+ is only available to Government buyers and is covered by dual use technology regulations.

In non military scenarios image intensifiers are used for starlight navigation of terrain, site security and night imaging of wildlife etc. The image resolution tends to be far greater than that commonly available from a thermal cameras. In wildlife circles it is not uncommon to use a thermal camera to find an animal, and a NV scope or NV enhanced camera, to observe the animal. NIR (not thermal) vision is also used for the really high quality low grain imaging of animals at light. Active NIR illuminators are used to provide the required illumination and animals are unaware that they are being flood lit.

Image intensifiers and ICCD (Intensified CCD) cameras are also still in use for microscope fluorescence imaging and X-Ray target imaging as previously stated. I believe astronomers may also use some intensifier technologies as well.

It is fair to say that CCD and CMOS camera sensor technology has become more sensitive over the years and many scenarios that would have required an ICCD camera may now be carried out using a ECCD (Enhanced CCD) camera that is far more sensitive than older conventional CCD sensors. It takes a lot to beat a Gen 3  or HOT Gen 3 image intensifiers high gain though !

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:41:30 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 07:21:38 pm »
The SATIR MinIR80 arrived this week.

The camera is in great condition and is complete except for the docking station. It came with the original external battery charger and all other accessories which was good to see.

I have already identified the docking station connector as the Molex Handylink 16 pole connector system. I received the correct plugs from Radio Spares today so can replicate the functionality of the dock. It provides USB, Video and a charging port.

I will do a teardown on the camera soon, when free time permits.

The lens in the SATIR MinIR80 camera is manual focus and huge when compared to that fitted in the FLIR E4. A nice large microbolometer sits behind the removable lens. Whether I can release the full 160 X 120 pixel resolution of the microbolometer remains to be seen.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Macbeth, bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf