Author Topic: Seek Compact Pro power current draw  (Read 1747 times)

Offline pauleddTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Riesige Gepanzerte Luftschiffe
Seek Compact Pro power current draw
« on: June 01, 2018, 12:07:32 pm »
Hi

I just got my new Seek CompactPro (UQ-EAA). I am just curious about its current draw. I somewhere read on the internet that it is usually around 250mA...

Today I put a usb current meter* between the OTC cable and the imager and it showed 25mA in standby and max. ~55mA while the image was active...  :o is this normal? So far everything seems to work absolutly satisfying. I also tried another (homemade) OTG cable, same result. And connected directly to pc I get the same low current draw... Can someone confirm this on his/her device too?

(*https://www.amazon.de/Digital-Multimeter-OLED-Display-Leistungskapazit%C3%A4t-Kapazit%C3%A4tsmessger%C3%A4t-Unterst%C3%BCtzung/dp/B00XL0W1D0)
human being - without Windows® - excuse my bad english

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Seek Compact Pro power current draw
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:36:28 pm »
I do not know the Seek current draw but it is always a good idea to test a USB current draw meter with a known load before trusting its measurements. Some can be very inaccurate and others have low sample rates that cannot cope with a pulsed load current that some equipment draws.

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:52:05 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:35:01 pm »
I read their spec sheet and found "Low power provided by smartphone (280 mW)"... That would indeed fit the 0.058A@5V...

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:38:48 pm »
I was also of the conviction that it was in the 0.250ma ballpark, recall it was one of the tear apart videos on YT here mention it.
So thx for that info, cant check it myself, as I got IOS version and all my portfolio of USB-meters dont play along with lightning and yep 0.280mW is impressive and any drain on the host's battery are almost a non-issue..

Btw that model number you stating in the first line, where do you see that, is it solely on the retail-packaging..?
(UQ-EAA).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 08:29:47 am »

below is UQ-AAA

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 07:33:44 pm »
Roger-that so solely the retail packaging.
Purchased mine so-called new, but IOS and non-retail packaging, only the waterproof casing which I was fine with as it made the risk for taxing and all of that, lesser.
but have wondered what model it was, as all the mediumdump states is SDK vers. nr. and camera details like serial.
But it also seems there is an extra sticker on your casing. so I reckon EAA sticker, like other users, have mentioned above the norm AAA

Offline ThermallyFrigid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 01:11:47 pm »
I was having trouble getting my Compact PRO to work properly on an older Samsung Galaxy S3.  It kept dropping out during normal viewing and got worse during recording.   Although occasionally, it worked fine for brief periods.  It turned out to be a USB port issue where the phone was not able to supply adequate current to the SEEK Camera.   

I then obtained a Galaxy S6 and that completely cured the problem.

As far as the actual mA draw...I haven't measured it yet but it seems to be slightly more when recording than when not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 04:53:29 pm »
Well if I understood correctly it should be irrelevant if you record or not because the camera only sends raw data to the app, not matter of you record or not, all the encoding/postprocessing should take place in the phone. But I could imagine that maybe long usb cables, bad internal wiring, bad shielded could have an impact on the actual raw data signal, maybe the logic levels are to low or distorted from outside or the phone itself.. just as an idea  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf