Author Topic: Seek Shot Thermal Imaging Camera FREEZE solution  (Read 7299 times)

Offline wwjd1924Topic starter

• Contributor
Seek Shot Thermal Imaging Camera FREEZE solution
« on: June 18, 2021, 08:11:44 am »
By posting this I hope to help out someone with the same frustrating freeze problem with the Seek Shot Thermal Imaging camera.

My problem was this:

After receiving the camera I went through the setup and set the date and time etc.
Then as one does I made a lot of images and video's to try out the camera.

But after 123 images/video's the Seek Shot froze after taking a photo?  Only thing to 'resolve' that was to shut off the Seek Shot but again, taking a picture would freeze it solid.

After connecting the Seek Shot to my Linux computer I discovered that, on the internal memory, only 290 MB was free from the 3.7 GB!?
In the file manager I saw nothing unusual other than the images/video's in the corresponding folders.

BUT after turning on the 'hidden files' option in the file manager, I discovered almost 2000 small files in several directories with the .pre extension with a date in 2018.

So I deleted all these files and made sure to EMPTY THE TRASH BIN on the computer BEFORE DISCONNECTING the Seek Shot.  If you forget this step you have to send the Seek Shot back to the seller. My own experience... |O

Now I have 3.7GB free space and the Seek Shot performs as it should.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Seek Shot Thermal Imaging Camera FREEZE solution
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 01:05:52 pm »
Maybe because on some Linux distro's you need to do "comit" after a file operation?
I encounter the same probelme with freezing, and delete the files .pre from Windows, without having to Empty recycle bin, with no problems.
But I have a question for you: Your Seek Shot camera is making a "click and freeze" at every 8 seconds all the time is working?
Thank you!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 01:19:33 pm »
Seek thermal cores operate their FFC flat regularly to counter the thermal instability in the microbolometer. This has been a known characteristic of these cores since first release. I know of no other thermal imaging core that has such a short period between FFC events. Most other FFC flag equipped microbolometer cores operate the FFC flags several times in quick succession as the microbolometer warms up to operating temperature and then the FFC period drops to around once every 2 minutes. The Seek Thermal core offsets the regularity of its FFC events by having a very short FFC duration that is less noticeable than that seen on many other cores. When I first tested a Seek Thermal camera I thought the frequency of the FFC event would lead to FFC flag mechanism premature failure or wear, but this has not been reported by users.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: skander36

Offline JimM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 04:33:44 pm »
On the Seek Reveal, an FFC event occurs about every 15 seconds, no matter how long the camera has been on.
Well, actually after 15 minutes, in order to save battery, the camera turns off if you don't perform some action with the menus like taking a picture. I think that's a configurable time period.

Offline tucsondirect

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 04:14:18 am »
Maybe because on some Linux distro's you need to do "comit" after a file operation?
I encounter the same probelme with freezing, and delete the files .pre from Windows, without having to Empty recycle bin, with no problems.
But I have a question for you: Your Seek Shot camera is making a "click and freeze" at every 8 seconds all the time is working?
Thank you!

in my experience this is an issue MOST when using HDR mode and not locking the range to something reasonable based on what you are trying to image.. hopefully this will spare you some grief

The following users thanked this post: skander36

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 07:32:54 am »
Thank you!

in my experience this is an issue MOST when using HDR mode and not locking the range to something reasonable based on what you are trying to image.. hopefully this will spare you some grief

Seek Shot does not have those features as far as I know. It have a lock on thermal range only. Thank you and Fraser for explanations !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf