Author Topic: Seek Thermal: Hardware modifications to improve image quality  (Read 46399 times)

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Seek Thermal: Hardware modifications to improve image quality
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2019, 08:52:43 am »
 :-DD But of course, haven't you seen me say I don't have a stupidphone!?

That one says right on it that they are hard to come by.  ;D'

What it does not say is that they are all designed for one specific purpose so you can't use it for something else.  ;)
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2019, 11:28:31 am »
Humble apologies about the misunderstanding. I had taking the liberty of presuming that "I don't have a stupidphone" was another take on the "my home computer's BASIC is better than your home computer's BASIC" - ie you choose something you consider to be cultured and sophisticated, like (and here I take the risk of being downright insulting) a Windon't Phone, as opposed to one of the varieties of fruit or mechanoid-themed devices.

I've just phoned out for a pizza with a side-order of humble 3.14159 (or, perhaps, 8.53973422267).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:30:45 am by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2019, 10:12:33 pm »
Oh, gee, no offense at all!  I call them "stupid-" instead of "smart-" "just because", for the irony of it I guess.  How often do we refer to our computers as "stupid computer"?

I tell people that the PI Zero I mobilized to use for driving a Seek is like a smartphone without the phone, or a "smart".  I'd keep the same vernacular & call it a "stupid" but I am too happy with how it worked out to call it stupid. :)

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 08:48:45 pm »
Just for documentation the changing image quality when cooling a CompactPro.
Not to be confused, the CompactPro was pointed to a "normal" Seek Compact plugged into a Motorola G5s. The CompactPro is connected to a Sony Z3 with the Seek-App version 2.1.6.

At first the CompactPro was running a few minutes, then the recording was started and the screenshot on the left is showing the image quality. There is no significant change in noise before or after the NUC (or FFC  ;) ). Then a small piece of water ice wrapped in a paper towel was put on the case of the CompactPro behind the FPA. The case is slowly cooling down a few degrees and the image quality is changing significantly. Much less noise but only shortly after the NUC (middle screenshot). A few seconds later the noise is even worse than witout cooling until the next NUC.
You can watch the recording in realtime here: https://files.catbox.moe/hcyhro.mp4

When I get a round tuit  :blah: I'll put the CompactPro into a climate chamber and check if the noise still changes when having a constant temperature.

My normal Seek Compact does not seem to improve with cooling, at least there is no visible effect.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2019, 02:36:50 am »
Beware using 'noise' as 'spatial noise'.
To reduce the residual spatial noise you need to stabilize the temperature, not cool without any control.

Offline BUMERANG

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2019, 05:30:26 pm »
Всем доброго времени суток!
Ребята подскажите, умеет ли Seek SHOT PRO снимать макро, к примеру рассматривать с расстояния 5-10см платы например смартфонов ?

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2019, 10:41:08 am »
Всем доброго времени суток!
Ребята подскажите, умеет ли Seek SHOT PRO снимать макро, к примеру рассматривать с расстояния 5-10см платы например смартфонов ?

Nyet.  See the first line from @blueskull here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-camera-lens-mod/msg2518086/#msg2518086

Seek Shot is "fixed focus" (aka never-focused), so it would need an added external lens such as the ZnSe lenses many people use for that purpose in order to get a closer focus.

And, yes I used Google translate.  Ya ne  ponimayu russkiy.  :(

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 02:37:41 pm »
Today I got the actuators. I tried connecting the first to 5V and nothing happened... Then to 10V nothing... 20V, 30V, 40V, and then it started to smell...  ;D

Went back to 5V and swapped the leads (red to - and black to +) and "click" it changed the filter. Swapped leads again and "click".
So every time you want to switch filters you must change the voltage polarity.

The smallest actuator is just perfect for Seek. I will be swapping its filter for a painted copper/alu plate in the near future.

P.S.
Fraser big thanks for pointing me into this direction. :-+

Hi,
This can be soldered directly to use power contacts from existing shutter? Or seek's voltage is too weak?
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf