Author Topic: Sensor 6x6 array identification - photos  (Read 2114 times)

Offline mustafakerbTopic starter

• Contributor
Sensor 6x6 array identification - photos
« on: August 23, 2020, 04:27:16 pm »
Maybe this subforum have some answers.

I have a mysterious sensor from medical surplus and try to identify its type. There are no markings on IC package, but I made macro shots and there are some on sensor die. So far I'm pretty sure it's Hamamatsu Phonics part based on "HPK" abbreviation. It looks like some sort of 6x6 (photodiode?) array wire bonded to integrated amplifier? Google fu does not render any results of datasheet.

Markings on die are:

HPK FS-8194
5P NEW5 PAMP_38

Any clue how to read it? Based on IDC trace routing, it can be very sensitive so I thought to ask first, before measure anything.

• Contributor
Re: Sensor 6x6 array identification - photos
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 04:30:58 pm »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:30:08 pm »
It would help to know the function of the FPA in the medical device or at least the nature of the machine. A sample analyser of some sort ?

It would also help to know what optics, if any were used. A 6x6 FPA is unlikely to be an image acquisition system on its own with only 36 pixels. Used on a static installation I would expect such a low resolution FPA to possibly be an EM light spectrum presence sensor or possibly a precision position sensor. Used in a ‘moving head’ system, the FPA (equipped with a lens) could move across a target scene or across the output scene of an optical block.

Such sensors are relatively common in medical analysis systems that detect the light being emitted or reflected from the sample under test. 36 pixels provides 36 data outputs that can be either compared or averaged for an output reading that is of high confidence. I have seen linear arrays in medical equipment that read the test strips that are presented to them under an illumination source.

Knowing the nature of the medical device might help identify whether this FPA is designed for Ultra Violet, visible light, Infra Red, X-Ray or ‘other’  It does not look like a thermal imaging sensor.

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:32:49 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 04:28:20 am »
All I know it's part from sort of spectrometer, I'll ask seller next week if there is any more info, for now thanks for the answer!

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:53:27 am »
@mustafakerb - I don't think I can help beyond agreeing with what Fraser said, particularly about it not looking like a LWIR thermal bevice. But 11 out of 10 for your amazingly clear macro photos! How did you achieve them?
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 03:06:22 pm »
This looks to be a photon counter. They often come in 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 pixel format.

I will see if I can identify a likely candidate.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 07:03:38 pm »
Thanks for kind words, macro setup is with 50mm SLR lens (Helios 44-2)-->extension tube-->M42 adapter-->Sony NEX-5n in telecentric config all mounted in Nikon stereoscope stand - quick, dirty and effective ;)

The following users thanked this post: Ultrapurple

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 09:52:44 pm »
@Fraser

I looked at some Hamamatsu datasheets for MPPC (Multi-pixel photon counter) / SiPM (Silicon photomultiplier) and they all seams to look like many diodes connected together in parallel. Sensors have dense grid of small diodes (25um) with two output pins. Mine has definitely integrated amplifier as seen on photos and rather large, monolithic pixels, connected individual.

Datasheets for H. photocounters mention SPAD (single-photon avalanche diode), can they be this big?

Offline rzsn

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 02:59:10 pm »
I have got the same sensor from a local "scrapyard", no PCB, no legs. The bottom die has one bonding wire torn off and its scratched in few places :/
So maybe mine would be more suitable for a destructive analysis to get the other one working?
(I wish I had a nicer condition one in my sensor collection)

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 04:12:47 pm »
Thanks for kind words, macro setup is with 50mm SLR lens (Helios 44-2)-->extension tube-->M42 adapter-->Sony NEX-5n in telecentric config all mounted in Nikon stereoscope stand - quick, dirty and effective ;)

I'd very much like to know more about this macro setup, would you elaborate further?
How did you get it into a telecentric configuration?

Offline svgurus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 12:35:11 am »
Afaik, telecentric lenses form 1:1 image due to parallelism of light, this case doesnt look like it. There are reversive adapters for screw mounts, maybe it was used here
upd: things are more quirky and complicated)
https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/diy-telecentric-macro-lenses/
https://patta107285337.wordpress.com/2021/12/22/christmas-wrap/ - from a link in comments
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 01:11:06 am by svgurus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf