Products > Thermal Imaging

Software to use Seek Mosaic Core?

(1/7) > >>

MikeNC407:
I recently bought a used Seek Mosaic OEM starter kit and I’m wondering if anyone here knows of any software I can use to connect it to my computer and view the camera’s output?  There’s a Seek sample viewer but it’s locked behind access to the developer portal and I suspect I won’t have much luck registering as a hobbyist, though I’ve submitted an application just in case.

Anyway, I got this core cheap knowing I would probably have some trouble getting it set up buying it second-hand, so no big deal if I can’t get this working, but I’m hopeful that someone here might know of a way I can get this camera up and running!

-Mike

Fraser:
As a first step you could try connecting the unit to an Android phone via USB OTG and running the Seek App that is normally used with the Seek Thermal Dongle cameras. If all works well, you could look at the work done on this forum to connect Seek cameras to a PC.

Fraser

MikeNC407:
That’s a good thought, I’ll check it out later today and report back!  I did poke around in JoeC’s Thermovision software but didn’t have any luck there.

Fraser:
The SDK API is certainly universal in its support for the different USB dongle cameras. The API will hopefully recognise your Mosaic. I have the SDK but cannot share it as it is only released under an NDA. I hope Seek will provide the Seek Viewer as that is a relatively ‘non-sensitive’ part of the SDK document and code set.

Just for your information, in case you are unaware, the Seek OEM cores are basically the same as the seek Dongles but in a different format. The microbolometer PCBA is connected to a processor PCBA that creates a proprietary data stream that is passed across the USB link. In the host computer, the seek API unpacks the USB proprietary data stream and provides functionality and data for a host software application to access. Seek consider the imaging module, its USB link and the API to effectively be a single building block and the API is considered an essential part of the system. Others on the forum have created their own USB data stream unpacking API to read the data without the need fir the Seek API. The challenge has been to understand the purpose and use of the various data frames that are used for calibration etc. The Seek API limits what a programmer can do with the imaging module as only certain functionality is provided.

Seek provide the required API for use with Android, iOS, Windows and Linux via their SDK developers portal.

Will the software presented by members of this forum work with the Mosaic ? I am not certain. Those programs have been created through reverse engineering the USB data stream from the various Seek Dongle camera versions. The SEEK API is not in use. As a reverse engineered solution the programs will not work with the Mosaic if Seek have employed a slightly different USB data stream. The official API might recognise the camera model and adapt but the reverse engineered programs may not know what to do with a Mosaic core if it differs from the dongle cameras.

Fraser

Fraser:
When connecting the Mosaic to an Android phone, remember that the phone must be in OTG mode for communications as a host to an accessory. Some USB cables contain the required ID pin connection, whilst others do not. If you have problems, make sure that he OTG ID pin is supported in your in the cables micro USB connector(S).
Others on the forum have had all manner of problems with so called “OTG compatible” cables that turn out to not have the OTG ID pin connected.

Fraser

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version