Author Topic: Software to use Seek Mosaic Core?  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Software to use Seek Mosaic Core?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 09:48:44 pm »
I recently bought a used Seek Mosaic OEM starter kit and I’m wondering if anyone here knows of any software I can use to connect it to my computer and view the camera’s output?  There’s a Seek sample viewer but it’s locked behind access to the developer portal and I suspect I won’t have much luck registering as a hobbyist, though I’ve submitted an application just in case.

Anyway, I got this core cheap knowing I would probably have some trouble getting it set up buying it second-hand, so no big deal if I can’t get this working, but I’m hopeful that someone here might know of a way I can get this camera up and running!

-Mike

The Seek development kits are supposed to come either with a software CD, or a piece of paper with special URL written on it that is not publicly documented, that links to a special page on the Seek website where you can download software. I've read that they have a simple viewer app that runs on a normal Windows PC, but it's only available to people who have bought a Seek development kit. So you should already have access to it, as you have purchased one of their kits. If you don't have it, then you need to send an email to Seek and explain your situation and ask for a link to the software.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 09:53:20 pm »
The SDK API is certainly universal in its support for the different USB dongle cameras. The API will hopefully recognise your Mosaic. I have the SDK but cannot share it as it is only released under an NDA. I hope Seek will provide the Seek Viewer as that is a relatively ‘non-sensitive’ part of the SDK document and code set.

Just for your information, in case you are unaware, the Seek OEM cores are basically the same as the seek Dongles but in a different format. The microbolometer PCBA is connected to a processor PCBA that creates a proprietary data stream that is passed across the USB link.

You said the OEM cores are a different format, and then proceed to describe a format involving a proprietary data stream, but don't identify which unit it's for. Is this proprietary data stream something that comes from the Seek OEM cores? Or is the proprietary data stream something that comes from the Seek smartphone cameras?

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2021, 09:55:08 pm »
Please will you provide some close-up pictures of your Mosaic kit as such seem to be rare

Is there a reason for closeup pics being rare? Are actual images of the board maybe a trade secret, protected by the NDA?

Offline MikeNC407Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 03:31:15 pm »
Ben321, thanks for the response, I was lucky enough to get access to the Seek Developer Portal a few months back using the process you described.  I wasn’t sure I would be given access because I had bought this unit secondhand on eBay, but whoever I emailed that day didn’t seem to mind.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 10:26:43 pm »
Ben321, thanks for the response, I was lucky enough to get access to the Seek Developer Portal a few months back using the process you described.  I wasn’t sure I would be given access because I had bought this unit secondhand on eBay, but whoever I emailed that day didn’t seem to mind.

I have a question. When using the desktop viewer software for the Mosaic core, do you need to first install a driver that also comes with the SDK? Or do you need to instead use 3rd party software Zadig to install the WinUSB or LibUSB driver for the core? Or does it work immediately with the viewer, without any driver (possibly using some default driver like the UVC, USB Video Class driver that comes with Windows)?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2021, 01:05:39 pm »
Ben321,

There is nothing secret about the MOSAIC core. The MOSAIC core is basically a J3-603/4 core that has had the “603/4” processor PCB separated from the cores chassis and microbolometer PCB using a ribbon cable. The reason is simple…. The processor PCB generates heat and this does have a negative impact on the cores performance when it is mounted behind the microbolometer PCB. The only reason that you have not seen close up pictures of the MOSAIC core is that no one has bothered to photograph their MOSAIC core and post the images online. The SEEK Thermal cored cameras that I have disassembled have all had either the J3-603/4 core or just the Microbolometer PCB connected to the video processor on a main board, as in the SEEK Reveal cameras. Cameras that do not need a USB link from camera to host do not use the “603/4” processor PCB.

Attached pictures show the standard J3-603/4 and later MOSAIC core with its remote processor PCB for thermal separation.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:12:00 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf